Console That's No Moon... It's a Moonlord: Terraria 1.3 Launches on PS4, XB1 Submitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
The things people are reporting worry me, I thought this update was meant to have very few bugs since we waited so long for it. How can we wait so long only to still receive a buggy update
On the bright side, PS4 may inadvertently end up finding all the bugs and preventing a buggy XBox One release.

So hyped for the imminent iOS/Android and Switch release!

The things people are reporting worry me, I thought this update was meant to have very few bugs since we waited so long for it. How can we wait so long only to still receive a buggy update

Because your looking at it wrongly. This isn't an 'update' at all. It's an entire rewrite of the game into a different code base.

So it's even harder than building a new game from scratch because with a new game there isnt an established player base with expectations of how it should play or run if it's a new game.
This game overhaul/rewrite however, people know and have expectations of how it ran before and want it to run the same - except ALSO have all the features and changes that an entirely different version of the game has, WHILST keeping compatibility with all your old save games, worlds and characters, WHILST making it play the same, AND not have bugs.

It's an INSANE task.

But one that (now it's done) will hopefully allow for much easier implementation of ACTUAL 'updates' in the future.

Bear in mind that this is a free 'update' to a 5 year old game that the Devs don't make any money off of. They could easily have tried to monetise it like Minecraft is on console. But instead It's just them being awesome to us as a community.

And I am still crashing when it attempts to convert my player files..

So begins Day 2 of not being able to play.
[doublepost=1513353469,1513352931][/doublepost]
That might be a problem with your ps4 if you dont have enough space to convert because mine converted fine and I could still pull from the cloud but the game is much laggier now. Maybe delete things from other games. It also might just be that they're too big to convert.

I have over 60GB available on my HDD, I don't think that's the issue.

And not to sound ungrateful for all the hard work that PW has and is doing, but I feel like large save file conversions should have been a thing vetted; which, to their defense Loki said they were but, well - here we are.

I mean, I have a set of Red's Wings on my save. I know the 'tool tip' said I wasn't supposed to have them, but.. let's be fair, if I wasn't supposed to have them, they shouldn't have been in the game.

I would hate to think that set of Red's Wings has completely trashed the 100's of hours I have put into the game so far.

And not to sound ungrateful for all the hard work that PW has and is doing, but I feel like large save file conversions should have been a thing vetted; which, to their defense Loki said they were but, well - here we are.

I mean, I have a set of Red's Wings on my save. I know the 'tool tip' said I wasn't supposed to have them, but.. let's be fair, if I wasn't supposed to have them, they shouldn't have been in the game.

I would hate to think that set of Red's Wings has completely trashed the 100's of hours I have put into the game so far.

I think this is a valid question to the dev's as the item is in game now and that was the reason it was taboo to mention earlier (before update).

Could just be a bug; I’m pretty sure (I may be incorrect) that Red's Wings would simply become an Expert item if you had them already.

Another thing I've noticed is that the Auto-Save isn't doing its thing on the Expert world I made.
After some length of time, the game freezes, though the music keeps going.

In light of this, any chance of regaining the ability to save at will via the pause menu? Only being able to Save&Quit is not very appealing.

Another thing I've noticed is that the Auto-Save isn't doing its thing on the Expert world I made.
After some length of time, the game freezes, though the music keeps going.

In light of this, any chance of regaining the ability to save at will via the pause menu? Only being able to Save&Quit is not very appealing.
Probably the world being an Expert one, but then again the music keeps playing, which is odd. I’m afraid the Save&Quit option is the best you can do now, from experience with that buggy Mobile release a while back I know it’s annoying.

Because your looking at it wrongly. This isn't an 'update' at all. It's an entire rewrite of the game into a different code base.

So it's even harder than building a new game from scratch because with a new game there isnt an established player base with expectations of how it should play or run if it's a new game.
This game overhaul/rewrite however, people know and have expectations of how it ran before and want it to run the same - except ALSO have all the features and changes that an entirely different version of the game has, WHILST keeping compatibility with all your old save games, worlds and characters, WHILST making it play the same, AND not have bugs.

It's an INSANE task.

But one that (now it's done) will hopefully allow for much easier implementation of ACTUAL 'updates' in the future.

Bear in mind that this is a free 'update' to a 5 year old game that the Devs don't make any money off of. They could easily have tried to monetise it like Minecraft is on console. But instead It's just them being awesome to us as a community.
This is still considered an update wether it’s a rewrite or not, what is it if it’s not an update? DLC? Terraria 2?

Have you attempted the workaround that @ClearConscious has been posting yet? Just curious as I know it has worked for a lot of folks.

Sorry about all of this, appreciate your patience. Obviously, none of this stuff happened in months and months of testing (the stone character, the save stuff, none of it), so not sure what to say to that side. Will be getting a FAQ up for the most common issues that have workarounds and misconceptions (things in a different place than before, etc)

I didn't experience the Stone debuff thing at all: instead, early on, the game would freeze when I attempted to load into an old world.

It hasn't happened since, though: now it's just the whole "Auto-Save does not Auto" and world freezes after indeterminate length of time thing.

Have you attempted the workaround that @ClearConscious has been posting yet? Just curious as I know it has worked for a lot of folks.

Sorry about all of this, appreciate your patience. Obviously, none of this stuff happened in months and months of testing (the stone character, the save stuff, none of it), so not sure what to say to that side. Will be getting a FAQ up for the most common issues that have workarounds and misconceptions (things in a different place than before, etc)

I did try that work around, and it did not work.

My game works fine. I went in and deleted my player and World files off the system (cause they are backed up on the cloud). It starts fine IF I wanted to start from scratch.

I don't though, and I don't want to lose my Ocram Trophy and Mask either.

The game crashes on my PS4 when I attempt to load anything from the cloud. If I try and load a player file from the cloud? Crash. If I create a new player, and attempt to load a world file from the cloud? Crash.

So yea - it "works." I can play the game, but as it stands now; I have lost everything. Items I can't get back, and 200+ hours of building.

Can something be done about how transparent the inventory interface is or how much the text flashes? I watch HappyDays' videos all the time and his inventory is completely solid in the foreground and the names of his items don't flash like a cheap Vegas strip club sign. Is there a setting to adjust this that I've overlooked because right now I can't read anything at all unless I sit 3 feet from my television.

For anyone with a conversion issue or crash or hangup:

Can you please send the following info to either myself or @ClearConscious :

• What your specific save conversion issue was (details are good)
  • Age of your saves
  • What platform they were created on (for PS4, be specific... Pro vs normal etc)
  • What specific PS4 platform are you using when doing the conversion
Thanks!

Last edited:
Can something be done about how transparent the inventory interface is or how much the text flashes? I watch HappyDays' videos all the time and his inventory is completely solid in the foreground and the names of his items don't flash like a cheap Vegas strip club sign. Is there a setting to adjust this that I've overlooked because right now I can't read anything at all unless I sit 3 feet from my television.
he used pc footage man

For anyone with a conversion issue or crash or hangup:

Can you please send the following info to either myself or @ClearConscious :

• Age of your saves
  • What platform they were created on (for PS4, be specific... Pro vs normal etc)
  • What specific PS4 platform are you using when doing the conversion
Thanks!
Does this include missing world's?
[doublepost=1513363589,1513363379][/doublepost]
Could just be a bug; I’m pretty sure (I may be incorrect) that Red's Wings would simply become an Expert item if you had them already.
Reds Wings become just a plain pair of wings with either +3 or +4 defense. Mine converted fine and I still have them on my character. Lost permanent flight but still better than nothing.

Does this include missing world's?
[doublepost=1513363589,1513363379][/doublepost]
Reds Wings become just a plain pair of wings with either +3 or +4 defense. Mine converted fine and I still have them on my character. Lost permanent flight but still better than nothing.
What wings did it become ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom