The Deerclops Guide And Why You Should Care

The problem is that Deerclops doesn't have loot that is any kind of bread and butter, it's very much a luxury. A sentry for summoners doesn't add much besides an inaccurate faux-boost to damage when your summons (with the right setup of course) cover everything, damage, crowd control, defense too. The only place a sentry is a major benefit - although to every class - is with the old one's army. None of those favour Houndious Shootious. And to be honest, Post-Moonlord sentries are really the only sentries that are a genuine improvement to your arsenal.

While the Weather Pain's piercing, multi-hit and homing nature is good for a Nebula Arcanum-esque projectile, it does not fill a role for either self-defence or general damage. The previous Projectile dissipates upon another being summoned. This makes the weapon incredibly unreliable to use when fighting multiple enemies (Which for most of the game you certainly will). The knockback of the weapon is horrific, and will certainly not save you from an enemy attacking you. Staves, Demon Scythe, Waterbolt or a Flamelash hold no contest and fill the role of being a weapon in every sense much better.

The Pew-Matic horn has some decent base damage, however is made obsolete by the combination of good bows (Blood-Rain Bow, Demon Bow, Molten Fury) or good guns (Phoenix Blaster, Minishark) in combination with special ammo gives a much better damage output. Furthermore even lower-stage weapons combined with flame arrows can make good work of bosses until that point just fine.

Deerclops' skull takes up a precious item slot for a worse summon that cuts any damage or utility accessory you would have in its place, just for some irregular, impotent hands that barely save you from a green slime.

In short, Deerclops items are good, however they are obsolete in the face of game-progression and are a low return to go out of your way to obtain.

I think the Deerclops fight is annoying, dull, and if I didn't have some completionist impulse I would never ever fight him. I just don't think he's interesting or gives any useful loot at all. Also, Don't Starve sucks.

The Bone Helm accessory might be okay in a situational kind of way but the sentry sucks (isn't it just basically worse than the Ballista, are they even that useful anyway in the first place, I don't even know) and I just don't think there's any point to frustrate yourself with wasting your time fighting this guy on Expert or Master since he has a CRAZY, unnecessarily huge health pool (on Expert/Master he has MORE health than the WALL OF FLESH.)

If you're too undergeared to fight him it might just be a waste of your time gathering mats + attempting to beat him, if you're too far ahead his stuff is useless.

I mean... all you have to do is beat Eater of Worlds a couple times (which requires basically no gear, certainly less than Deerclops) and then you have Shadow, then you can then have full Molten and all the Hellstone weapons including Molten Bow and Volcano and stuff. Along the way you obviously did get a Musket for sure so you can pick up a Minishark, and then you just clear out the dungeon and you have your Phoenix Blaster, do Jungle a little until you get the Blade of Grass and then you have Night's Edge and you can basically enter Hard Mode with just these things if you really want to.

Right now I'm farming it on Expert down from Master (just for the trophy) just to shave off some HP and let me tell you it takes what feels like forever even with Necro + Unreal Phoenix Blaster. I just use Terraspark Boots + Magiluminescence for mobility and you can just go back and forth under his legs over and over then back out a little on the third hit of icicles and he'll never get you.

While the Weather Pain's piercing, multi-hit and homing nature is good for a Nebula Arcanum-esque projectile, it does not fill a role for either self-defence or general damage. The previous Projectile dissipates upon another being summoned. This makes the weapon incredibly unreliable to use when fighting multiple enemies (Which for most of the game you certainly will). The knockback of the weapon is horrific, and will certainly not save you from an enemy attacking you. Staves, Demon Scythe, Waterbolt or a Flamelash hold no contest and fill the role of being a weapon in every sense much better.
The projectile lasts for a decently long time. You use it alongside those weapons you mentioned for better DPS. That said its still not that good...
The Pew-Matic horn has some decent base damage, however is made obsolete by the combination of good bows (Blood-Rain Bow, Demon Bow, Molten Fury) or good guns (Phoenix Blaster, Minishark) in combination with special ammo gives a much better damage output. Furthermore even lower-stage weapons combined with flame arrows can make good work of bosses until that point just fine.
Pewmatic's good damage and knockback makes it pretty good at both bosses and crowd control

Anything with more DPS is either a Hellston/Dungeon weapon (tiered later in progression despite Hellstone technically being available earlier) or Bee's knees which is busted and needs a nerf. Pewmatic is actually in a really good state balance wise and its his best drop.

A sentry for summoners doesn't add much besides an inaccurate faux-boost to damage when your summons (with the right setup of course) cover everything, damage, crowd control, defense too. The only place a sentry is a major benefit - although to every class - is with the old one's army. None of those favour Houndious Shootious. And to be honest, Post-Moonlord sentries are really the only sentries that are a genuine improvement to your arsenal.
Dont know what "faux boost to damage" is supposed to mean, Houndious is actually alright in accuracy and DPS. Its crowd control could be better but really the biggest problem is from PreHardmode sentries in general: One sentry isnt going to do anything, the only way to get more is from Old One's army... which just gives you better sentries outright

Any sentry you make for Prehardmode before Skeletron will end up as a "free damage, take it or leave it" that needs Old One's Army 2 slots to be good, just to end up outclassed by the event's sentries anyway. Houndious is not the problem.

In any case, none of the weapons are good enough of a reward to go out of your way for it, unlike similar bosses like Duke Fishron, Empress of Light etc

In any case, none of the weapons are good enough of a reward to go out of your way for it, unlike similar bosses like Duke Fishron, Empress of Light etc
You're hardly going out of your way to beat deerclops, if you do any bit of fishing in the snow biome you could get the materials for a warmth potion pretty quick, with that and a small amount of defense it lets you tank the boss easily. Even if you ignore that you can simply run at the boss over and over again since it never despawns when you die. Weapons that are slightly under skeletron tier obtainable preboss are pretty good.

In that case you're still taking time you could spend on getting better (and very obtainable) weaponry, etc

By the time you get to obtaining a piggy-bank that follows you (very nice), the weapons are redundant

In that case you're still taking time you could spend on getting better (and very obtainable) weaponry, etc

By the time you get to obtaining a piggy-bank that follows you (very nice), the weapons are redundant
In preboss there are very few weapons that outclass deerclops' all of which require some quite a bit of luck or grinding, the weapons are hardly redundant until after you kill queen bee which i guess yeah you can start with her if you want but she is way harder to beat.

In preboss there are very few weapons that outclass deerclops' all of which require some quite a bit of luck or grinding, the weapons are hardly redundant until after you kill queen bee which i guess yeah you can start with her if you want but she is way harder to beat.
You can get a Vilethorn with bombs, you can get a Diamond Staff by mining, you can get a Demon Scythe with a 1-minute farm (hoiks included), Pre-Boss mage can set you up for the Wall of Flesh if you use your time wisely

You can get a Vilethorn with bombs, you can get a Diamond Staff by mining, you can get a Demon Scythe with a 1-minute farm (hoiks included), Pre-Boss mage can set you up for the Wall of Flesh if you use your time wisely
vilethorn I don't think is better nor do I ever do corruption on my mage runs, diamond staff is a single target weapon so I'm just not going to compare it to weather pain, and demon scythe is just the best mage weapon in prehm like yeah you could just go for that and skip all of the prehm bosses. It's the same as trying to compare any prehm ranged weapon to star cannon.

vilethorn I don't think is better nor do I ever do corruption on my mage runs, diamond staff is a single target weapon so I'm just not going to compare it to weather pain, and demon scythe is just the best mage weapon in prehm like yeah you could just go for that and skip all of the prehm bosses. It's the same as trying to compare any prehm ranged weapon to star cannon.
Vilethorn does a better job at combatting enemies close to you, and pierces much better. Diamond staff is much more reliable as a weapon due to its knockback and high-damage, as well as being able to cast it multiple times. Unlike the Star-Cannon, the Demon Scythe does both and is available pre-boss. Demon Sythe isn't the be-all-and-end-all of Pre-Hm weapons, a Flamelash and Fire Flower are amazing too.

The progression can easily forgo Deerclops weapons, so fighting a Deerclops isn't something on the "to-do list", it's something do before the Wall, or whenever you remember it

Unlike the Star-Cannon, the Demon Scythe does both and is available pre-boss. Demon Sythe isn't the be-all-and-end-all of Pre-Hm weapons, a Flamelash and Fire Flower are amazing too.
Star Cannon can be obtained preboss if you're lucky with golden chests and demon scythe is just the superior option over any prehm mage weapon.

The progression can easily forgo Deerclops weapons, so fighting a Deerclops isn't something on the "to-do list", it's something do before the Wall, or whenever you remember it
before wall could very much be preboss and it gets you a pretty good start, deerclops' only drop isn't weather pain there are many other drops that she gives listed in the original post. It's not a mandatory thing but it is very useful and its better to fight deerclops earlier rather than later. If you don't feel like it's worth it then don't fight her.

before wall could very much be preboss and it gets you a pretty good start, deerclops' only drop isn't weather pain there are many other drops that she gives listed in the original post. It's not a mandatory thing but it is very useful and its better to fight deerclops earlier rather than later. If you don't feel like it's worth it then don't fight her.
The Sentry is meh, Summoners are never starved for plenty of damage or self-defence - especially in Pre-HM. You'll be going to too much trouble to try and either jank Deerclops with low gear, or if you have enough gear to beat the deer, you'd have better weapons by then. The only very useful thing is the Eye Bone.

Deerclops is a luxury hunt, not a step in progression

Pew-matic horn is a pretty great weapon, it's absolutely not outclassed by minishark of all things and is a pretty solid reason to fight deerclops. Like bame said, the only ranged weapons that outclass it (since its buff) either are post-skeletron, molten fury (hellstone gear is typically tiered later), the bee's knees (which is broken and likely needs a nerf), and star cannon/beenades (duh). When a weapon is considered strong among pre-hardmode ranged weapons, that's a decent sign that it's worth going for (even if not doing a class-restricted playthrough).

I'd trust the Ranger advice, I rarely play the class - Summoner, Melee and Mage are much more common for me

Back
Top Bottom