Member-Run Project The Fallen Star Bestiary

Sorry alerts have been punching me in the face as of recent, and I didn't realise we had people posting on the thread. Anyway, the next entry should be coming soon, so get excited! We just have a bit of expanding on to do, then the formatting comes into play.

I've also got a NEW literature project in the works, which I'm suuuuuuper happy to begin the launch-up with.

Corner Cafe

Sorry alerts have been punching me in the face as of recent, and I didn't realise we had people posting on the thread. Anyway, the next entry should be coming soon, so get excited! We just have a bit of expanding on to do, then the formatting comes into play.

I've also got a NEW literature project in the works, which I'm suuuuuuper happy to begin the launch-up with.

Corner Cafe
Steam?

index.php

divider.png

Stylist.png

divider.png

Hello, Pixel here! Teal and I, would like to apologize for the major delay on this issue. We've found ourself over extended and busy. I have been busy planning the revival of Papa's Pixels, Tales Of TCF, Organizing the Boreal Bookshelf and attempting to sort out my art requests. Teal has been occupied dealing with the relaunch of his Deceit story, His Car Show Thread, formatting The Poetry Pavilion, and a Fallen Star Bestiary spin-off.

Contributors:

@Pixel
@Teal

@Commander Crocket
@TheGoldenHawkster
@The Magic Cookie
@TheQuietBisharp
@Shadow gamer

divider.png

Blue_Jellyfish.png
Golden_Shower.png

divider.png

index.php

Entry 7: Jellyfish

The jellyfish, or Stingus aquaticus, is a relatively common aquatic creature. Several variations are in existence, each occupying a certain niche in its habitat. Lacking a brain, heart, and blood, the bodily composition of a jellyfish is rather rudimentary, being one of up to 95% water. They consist of three layers: an outer layer (the epidermis), a middle layer composed of a thick, elastic, jelly-like substance (the mesoglea), and an inner layer (the gastrodermis). A simple nervous system, or nerve net consisting of many interconnected neurons, allows the jellyfish to smell, perceive light and respond to various stimuli.

These gelatinous organisms generally move by floating towards the direction of water currents. However, they are also capable of achieving locomotion via jet propulsion, in which they constrict their bodies in order to force jets of water from their posteriors. The tentacles of a jellyfish are its most potent weapon. Each possesses many nematocytes, explosive cells that fire structures containing toxin from a subcellular organelle known as a nematocyst. This is what gives a jellyfish its ‘sting’, and is used in the capture of prey and defense against predators. These tendrils can extend far past the bell of the jellyfish, so attempting to swim behind or alongside a jellyfish is an ill-advised endeavour.

divider.png

Fungo_Fish.png
Steampunk_Goggles.png

divider.png

Locating and Tracking:

Due to its natural bioluminescence, assuming that one is in possession of the correct diving equipment, locating and tracking a jellyfish is a simple task - one only needs to enter a body of water where jellyfish are present; the resulting vibrations will alert the jellyfish to your presence, and attract them towards their general vicinity. The encounter isn't as intense as one would anticipate due to the otherwise passive nature of the jellyfish, but is nonetheless one that elicits caution, for direct contact with its tentacles can cause serious damage.

For extra convenience, jellyfish emit a light from their body, allowing a view of their figure from a long distance. This means that if one were to go diving in a body of water, finding these aquatic creatures wouldn't be as necessarily hard as initially thought. All in all; jellyfish practically let the hunter get to them, by the way they alert their presence, and because of their prevalence in underground waters. Not only is there that, but because of their general weakness, the jellyfish species are relatively weak when it comes to confrontations. Yes, they can manage a nasty sting, but that isn't without getting incapacitated within a couple seconds.

divider.png

Green_Jellyfish.png
Glowstick.png

divider.png

Taming:

Due to their lack of a complex and developed nervous system, jellyfish are unable to be tamed, but are able to be kept as pets. Amateur tamers are advised to start with a blue jellyfish, as it is both the weakest and most docile of its kind. Simply use a net to capture one, and transport it to a water tank. Jellyfish must be contained in circular tanks rather than the more conventional rectangular or cuboidal variety, as it is possible, though rare, for the jellyfish will trap itself in the corners of the tank. The internal conditions of the tank should closely mimic that of its original habitat. For instance, the ocean-dwelling pink jellyfish would require a higher water salinity; blue and green jellyfish, would require slightly alkaline water due to the dissolution of the minerals surrounding the lakes that they inhabit.

Feeding is simple as jellyfish are highly sensitive and will drift towards potential food sources. The spherical rounded tank often aids in this process as they will not injure themselves or their membrane if they collide with an otherwise existent corner. To achieve this rounded shape is difficult, but the process is greatly reduced in difficulty if one has the right equipment. Hammers, ideally powerful ones, can be used to shape the tank if ample heat, provided from lava, is applied to the glass go make it malleable. Returning to the topic of feeding, live prey is highly preferable. Small fish are easily entangled in the tentacles making it a trivial task for a jelly to ensnare it. Many jellyfish will also consume Gel which may be used in the absence of fish, or snails. Gel's low nutritional value makes it an unsubstantial regular food source. Feeding should be a simple task if one is decently educated on the matter. Remember jellyfish do not require frequent feeding, be cautious to not overfeed.

Taming methods don't really come into play because of their incapacity to be tamed. This means that whilst it can be kept as a pet, it will never be truly domesticated.

divider.png

Blood_Jelly.png
Swordfish.png

divider.png

Combat:

Jellyfish are a simple foe to counter, for their only means of attack lies in their tentacles. Water Walking Boots are very helpful if you plan to take down some of these creatures; one can dispatch a jellyfish effectively without significant risk by remaining out of water, and utilising ranged weaponry. Though it is not recommended, one can also make use of melee weapons - these are often powerful enough to end the life of the jellyfish in one fell swoop, and tend to have high knockback. If knocked out of the water, the mobility of the jellyfish becomes nonexistent, as it is rendered unable to move. Should one fall into the water whilst engaging a jellyfish, they are advised to create some distance between them, in order to reduce the risk of running into one of its tentacles.

The severity of their sting varies from jellyfish to jellyfish. Most are relatively harmless to humans, though some have the potential to cause excruciating pain. Stings from the Fungo Fish can cause serious harm to the player, inflicting pain comparable to that of a bullet wound.

divider.png

Pink_Jellyfish.png
Water_Bucket.png

divider.png

Habitat and Alimentation:

Jellyfish are opportunistic carnivores, consuming anything that its tentacles happen to capture. Once ensnared by its tentacles, few can escape its tenacious grasp. Though some species of jellyfish are confined to subsisting on a diet of smaller food items such as fish eggs, others are able to kill and devour whole organisms. The digestive system of a jellyfish is a rather simple one, for its digestive cavity acts both as its stomach and its intestine, with one opening for both the mouth and the :red:.

Pink jellyfish can be located in the ocean, whilst the blue and green variants tend to dwell in underground lakes. The remaining two species, the Blood Jelly and the Fungo Fish, are rarer than the vastly more common blue, green, and pink varieties. Blood Jellies inhabit the bloodstained murky waters that can be located in the Crimson, whereas Fungo Fish can be found underground in a bodies of water in close proximity to a colony of glowing mushrooms.

Ag6Yhot.png

Subscribed Users:

@Shadow ,
@Vikri ,
@cultist unhooded ,
@ShadeDragon ,
@Darkness Wizard ,
@The Flaming Crown ,
@Typhoon's Fury ,
@Lord Llama ,
@Ginnoken ,
@TheQuietBisharp ,
@Shadow gamer ,

Art Credits: @Shadow , @Vikri , @Molos Elethros

Last edited:
I'm guessing Coco didn't want to make any gender-based assumptions, yes, even though your profile does state your sex.

Anyway, thanks everybody for supporting us and in turn making us the most popular literature thread, that's actually literature! Wooooooo. \o/

Hello everybody, I just thought I would add me and @Teal will be making a story about the "Fallen Star Wildlife Preserve" If teal gets on and edits the first chapter it should be done soon. Also Molos that banner ':eek:

Oh yeah, I know about that, helped out a little and inspired one of the characters. Good luck on that, Teal and shadow.

The team working on this bestiary will continue to be busy for quite a bit. Papa Pixel's revival, Poetry Pavilion, other side projects, and getting to bestiary entries. :b

Spiders and Jellyfish? Despite one being more ferocious than the other, the terror still lurks, even though it shouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom