the Guild of the Terrario-Whovians

:nursegrin: Yep, it was a lot of fun at the convention. Although they really didn't prepare for the sheer number of people who wanted photos and autographs with Christopher Eccleston. I'm talking 6+ hours for a lot of people. Me included for an autograph, but thankfully I was with friends so we swapped out every now and then. It was so bad he stayed after closing ceremony to finish signing for those still waiting! It was expensive, but not as expensive as many thought it would be, at $75, but I don't think I'll ever get the chance to meet him again, so RAARGH!

They had the writers for Demons of the Punjab, Kerblam! and The Witchfinders, and they along with other guests did live commentary on the episodes. My favorite was with Demons of the Punjab, Vinay Patel pointed out that the script originally called for trucks, but the producers or whoever said to him, "You know, we can afford oxen/horses." :nursegrin: And I only caught part of the interview, but Anjli Mohindra was there, too, she was Rani (not that one) in The Sarah Jane Adventures and the queen scorpion in the Tesla ep. And at the closing ceremony, they had a special shoutout video from former showrunner Steven Moffat, current (horrible) showrunner Chris Chibnall, and current Doctor Jodie Whittaker! :nursepassionate: Ok, I'll shut up now...

The problem with a lot of these episodes is they seem to take some real world issue and tack on a Doctor Who adventure to it. The Syria one, Can You Hear Me? was exactly that. That whole thing about the Immortals could and should have been expanded, but it feels fast-forwarded so they could point out how important it is to identify mental health issues and get help. I hear in the UK after the episode they showed some numbers for people to call, if they've experienced such issues. Yes, it's important to talk about these things, and I did think that glimpse into Yaz's backstory was pretty interesting, but I'm not happy they were so heavy-handed about it.

The other problem with these episodes is there's no continuity. Why are they throwing awesome stuff at us, like in Spyfall and Fugitive of the Judoon, then completely ignoring them with weird, badly done episodes?! The latest one (which I still need to rewatch) finally gets back on track, of course it did, there are only 10 eps in a series now, and that's #8!

Back
Top Bottom