Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you put the vita in the same group as 12 year old systems? It might not be the most powerful thing around but its only like 4 years old. I know its still more powerful than some older phones, so are the only phones that are gonna run it the newest top of the line phones? Nope.

As has been said several times already, RAM is the key limiter with Terraria. @CheatFreak47 spoke well to this earlier as did @Kazzymodus

PC Required RAM, post-1.3: 2.5gb | Recommended 4gb

PS Vita: 512mb
N3DS: 256mb
PS3/Xbox 360: 512mb

What has been consistently occurring - and even on mobile of late - is that anything under 1gb is seeing pretty bad stability issues. So you either cut more corners and compromise the core gameplay for everyone or you just realize when enough is enough. More or less, that is where this sits. To quote myself from elsewhere:

"Here is your crappy-performing 1.3 with all kinds of corners cut that pretty substantially compromise even the core gameplay that you have now" didn't seem like a really smart way to go. Quality has to come first.

Knowingly pushing crap out to old gen for the sake of saying "here you got 1.3" and then walking off....that would have been the shady road, not this one.

Well, if you want to release the update only for the current gen consoles at least be honest about the old gen. Is not a specs problem, just admit it to don't get more useless hate. Will be bad for your business, trust me.

Except everyone IS being honest with you. A good amount of time was spent exploring this on their end from what I understand. Do you think anyone here loves this news or finds it enjoyable to communicate? :confused:

Even Engine - whom has nothing to gain from this decision in any way - posted to share info and AGREE with the call being made.

It wasn't FPS, it was stability from what I understand. See: PS Vita from earlier this year that was ALREADY having the RAM stability issues even with 1.2.4. Trust me, they looked into various other solutions. Even the use of streaming as folks have mentioned didn't work well at all - again, the game was never designed (which goes beyond coding) for something like that without cutting some massive corners. Even the corner-cut limited mobile edition is struggling mightily with anything under 1gb right now. I would have to turn any heavy tech questions over to smarter people than I - but the feedback during the process shared with us was pretty clear.

---------

This is how technology and gaming has worked since forever. This is why I own so many consoles over time.....from 2600 through the various Nintendos to PS/Xbox and so on. Its a bit of a unique situation since most games wouldn't have given away this much content over this much time for free. That then necessitates calls like this being made. If we - or 505 - were "all about the money", then there are FAR easier ways to get that money. We could have charged some small amount - say $0.99 - for only the major updates (1.X) on PC....and advised 505 to do the same on console/mobile....and made millions. We never have and never would do so - out of principal. That isn't who we are. So that sorta flies in the face of the "evil cash grab" logic. ;)

It's not like 505 refused to support the Old Gen versions 3 months after launch or something.....they have been updating it for years for free.

I get the frustration and disappointment - I think that is perfectly fair to feel and express - but the insults towards PW (whom have done nothing to anyone) and the constant angry accusations are a bit much.

I was looking forward to 1.3 on the ps3, but then I found out it wasn't happening... Welp. Good thing I have a PC.

Oh i didnt saw that, that kinda sucks. :/
It's kinda sad....i was so excited when i first heard about this...then i read this and i imediatly got sad...The Vita is my only console and Terraria is my favourite game...and i will not be able to play 1.3 on it....I just don't understand why Mobile can support 1.3 but old gen doesn't. Oh well...guess i'll stick to 1.2.4 then. *walks out of the room looking down, crying, all you hear is someone saying "ow, who put this wall here?!"*

I just don't understand why Mobile can support 1.3 but old gen doesn't.

As has been said a few times:

A - Mobile is now more powerful than old gen. Believe it or not, but its the weird reality of the matter.

B - Mobile isn't a "single platform" the way console is. Older mobile devices are left behind constantly as users upgrade to a new device, with the mobile code sort of slowly drifting upwards in terms of performance as the Mobile devices get better. 2 years ago, Mobile devices were weaker than old gen. Now, they are stronger. Two years from now, they will be twice as strong as they are now, and yet the "platform" has not changed (the way that consoles change with each upgrade). Its actually not so different from Console, except when Console gets "left behind" you have to leave an entire system behind at once. With phones, its a gradual shift between the multitude of models, with lesser models being left behind more often, and with users upgrading more often to a variety of different models with different specs, so there is no "mass exodus/upgrade" the way there is with a console. For this reason, in two years, Mobile overall will be stronger, not weaker, while any one console can only fall behind. We just don't see the variety of mobile devices "left behind" because it doesn't happen all at once, and most of those users upgrade by that time.

It's kinda sad....i was so excited when i first heard about this...then i read this and i imediatly got sad...The Vita is my only console and Terraria is my favourite game...and i will not be able to play 1.3 on it....I just don't understand why Mobile can support 1.3 but old gen doesn't. Oh well...guess i'll stick to 1.2.4 then. *walks out of the room looking down, crying, all you hear is someone saying "ow, who put this wall here?!"*

Yeah, same, I bought PSVITA version hoping for a mobile Terraria that I love on PC, as it turns out it's lagging behind and now it won't even match the Terraria I first saw on PC.

Well, at least it has 1.2.4
[doublepost=1469632584,1469632291][/doublepost]For anyone wondering why "mobile" gets it: "mobile" includes Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, that thing is much more expensive than any console you can think of (it's even more expensive than a good enough PC!), and has much better specs for Terraria than even PS3.

The reason you think mobile is weak is because :red:ty developers make simple skinner box games, mobile today is capable of running great games

That's why I said in the end: "If the old console version of Terraria can't keep the 60fps, then v-sync it to 30fps", solved. The only memory problem it can have it's with the Celestial Towers/Pillar fights with so many enemies that might not fit in the memory, but... it can be solved by a 30fps v-sync, no matter what anyone or even 505 says, it's just an excuse to not work with so many versions, their laziness is the only problem.

And, if you excuse me, I'm logging out from this forum, I don't come here often, I don't plan to be an active person, it's only the 2nd comment I did and I registered here ages ago, I have better things to do and some are even critical for my daily life, making this issue a very insignificant problem, I just logged in to defend the right to have updates to those with only an old gen console version of Terraria. If you want to keep defending a baseless excuse from 505 to not keep updating the old gen console version of Terraria, specially if they're updating the Mobile and other portable versions, then please save it for the comments of active people, because I won't be here, sorry.
I'm going to continue this discussion for the sake of other people who think that this is an issue that can be solved by flipping a switch and that 505 Games simply refuses to.

You seem to think that forcing the game to run at 30 FPS through VSync would free up memory. It wouldn't. At all. What VSync does, in layman's terms, is waiting for your monitor to finish drawing the current frame before it sends the next one. It has nothing to do with memory, so it won't free up any (and if you're triple buffering it actually costs memory, but that's not really important).

What is causing the problem is that an entire map has to be loaded. @CheatFreak47 already gave an excellent explanation about how heavy that is on the system in this post. All that information that has to be stored has nothing to do with graphics, so even if VSync would cut down on memory usage, it wouldn't cut down on that kind of memory usage.

I'll be frank, I know little about hardware. Probably more than the average Joe, but I'm definitely not an expert. The people who made this decision, however, are. Yes, they might be lying because they're just in it for the money, and they might indeed be lazy like you claimed, but if that were the case, don't you think another expert would've exposed them by now? Isn't it far more likely that they are just telling the truth, especially considering they are backing that up with examples of memory requirements already being an issue?

Last edited:
Sad to see the PS3 and X360 Version go. But weeeelll.. Welcome Pipeworks. I just love it that Console Terraria will get a new PC lookalike look.

So... what about the 3DS version?

Comment got buried so I'll put it here instead :) Rage on.

So, there's to be no rewrite of the 3DS or Wii U versions. Couldn't you have gotten someone a bit more competent than CodeGlue to have made the 3DS version? =/ We're just supposed to be content with build mode. Yay. Build mode... yay... eugh.

Nintendo users pay more than everyone else to get less than everyone else. It's a bit of a joke really. It doesn't even work half the time.

So I'm to assume that if RAM's the problem, and a 3DS doesn't have even as much as a PS Vita, then we're not even going to be on par with where the Vita version is. We'll get a few more items here and there. Woop! We're not ever going to get our Online Multiplayer or larger worlds, are we? Meh. You're never going to make use of the New 3DS' extra RAM, are you? Meh!

'Most people that play on 3DS have an old 3DS - so we want to optimize the game for that system!'

'Most people that play Xbox have a 360 - but we're going to make the game better on Xbox One!' Alllllllllllllrighty then.

Judging by how closely they're working with Sony & Microsoft I wouldn't be remotely surprised if this was a little deal to try to get people to upgrade!

Prediction - we'll continue to get bug fixes for 3DS (that ironically introduce more bugs), until CodeGlue's contract is up, then we'll get one final 'have some summons' or something farewell update, then, again, RAM being cited as the issue for no online multiplayer or larger worlds. Forgotten about.

I know, I know. I'm like a broken record. But somebody needs to fight for justice here!
so theres not going to be 1.3 for old gen

@Loki So it means by "mobile reset" is to gain the source code of pc 1.3 and allign it to the requirements for mobile and ignoring what Codeglue and 505Games had established (to be frank). It means also that we will experience a full-1.3 experience in the near future in the mobile history.

But for the effort and patience they give to us thank you Codeglue and 505 Games for all the support and helping the mobile experiences to the point of 1.2.4 update.

Ok I understand vita and old consoles cannot handle 1.3 but with the last update being a bug fix can u guys add some small things from 1.3 to say farewell? Like new dies some weapons ect?

Im thinking that since this awesome game was able to run on a Wii U and 3DS, that it can be ported to run on my SNES, right? I mean it's only a 80MB game, should be possible. /sarcasm. This is how ridiculous the 360/PS3/Vita players sound. Just stop. Engine has done everything they can for you, and more with the last update in November.

Pipeworks, welcome, i am totally looking forward to your update next year for the XBONE. Wife and I played the crap out of Terraria 1.3 on PC, but we prefer the console and only wish we could make time go by faster.

The code being copied to pc, the console versions going to look like pc, everything close to looking like pc, that could probably mean a chance for pc and console cross play. I hope that will happen.

i'm just incredibly glad that those lazy and disorganized people at 505 aren't involved anymore. maybe these new guys will finally fix the endless lag and crashing on the android version, that's all i care about.

i'm just incredibly glad that those lazy and disorganized people at 505 aren't involved anymore. maybe these new guys will finally fix the endless lag and crashing on the android version, that's all i care about.
505 is still very much involved. The switch is from Engine Software and Codeglue to Pipeworks. I don't think that any of them are lazy or disorganized, as their effort and contributions are the reason we have the console and mobile versions we have now. Keep in mind even when there were crashes or bugs, they were the ones fixing it, so that we could continue to enjoy the game. If you are still experiencing crashes or critical lag on mobile, you should either open a thread in mobile support section: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?forums/mobile-support.146/ or open a ticket via the support portal at 505games.com/support

As has been said several times already, RAM is the key limiter with Terraria. @CheatFreak47 spoke well to this earlier as did @Kazzymodus

PC Required RAM, post-1.3: 2.5gb | Recommended 4gb

PS Vita: 512mb
N3DS: 256mb
PS3/Xbox 360: 512mb

What has been consistently occurring - and even on mobile of late - is that anything under 1gb is seeing pretty bad stability issues. So you either cut more corners and compromise the core gameplay for everyone or you just realize when enough is enough. More or less, that is where this sits. To quote myself from elsewhere:

Knowingly pushing crap out to old gen for the sake of saying "here you got 1.3" and then walking off....that would have been the shady road, not this one.

Except everyone IS being honest with you. A good amount of time was spent exploring this on their end from what I understand. Do you think anyone here loves this news or finds it enjoyable to communicate? :confused:

Even Engine - whom has nothing to gain from this decision in any way - posted to share info and AGREE with the call being made.

It wasn't FPS, it was stability from what I understand. See: PS Vita from earlier this year that was ALREADY having the RAM stability issues even with 1.2.4. Trust me, they looked into various other solutions. Even the use of streaming as folks have mentioned didn't work well at all - again, the game was never designed (which goes beyond coding) for something like that without cutting some massive corners. Even the corner-cut limited mobile edition is struggling mightily with anything under 1gb right now. I would have to turn any heavy tech questions over to smarter people than I - but the feedback during the process shared with us was pretty clear.

---------

This is how technology and gaming has worked since forever. This is why I own so many consoles over time.....from 2600 through the various Nintendos to PS/Xbox and so on. Its a bit of a unique situation since most games wouldn't have given away this much content over this much time for free. That then necessitates calls like this being made. If we - or 505 - were "all about the money", then there are FAR easier ways to get that money. We could have charged some small amount - say $0.99 - for only the major updates (1.X) on PC....and advised 505 to do the same on console/mobile....and made millions. We never have and never would do so - out of principal. That isn't who we are. So that sorta flies in the face of the "evil cash grab" logic. ;)

It's not like 505 refused to support the Old Gen versions 3 months after launch or something.....they have been updating it for years for free.

I get the frustration and disappointment - I think that is perfectly fair to feel and express - but the insults towards PW (whom have done nothing to anyone) and the constant angry accusations are a bit much.
I just realized.....Am I the only one with a device that boosts mt xbox's storage? I have some plugin that give me like 116GB that I can use.

Will the new code be compatible with our current worlds and characters? Or will everything be reset as if the game was bought new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom