Would this be useful to you?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, I know everything already.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

The1DarkLord

Skeletron Prime
Do you have trouble remembering recipes while you are trying to collect materials? I do.

Solution: The Recipe Book
This accessory will record all recipes crafted (no, not each time you craft a torch, just once.) in a list, which can be organized like the regular crafting window, or alphabetically. Not only that, but if equipped while talking to the guide, any recipe you learn from the guide will be recorded in the recipe book.

You can access this list by taking the Recipe Book out and placing it on a table or other platform. Then you can read the book by right-clicking on it.

The recipe book will be crafted at a workbench with a chair using a book and black ink from a squid.

[Edit]Thought of something else: When reading the Recipe Book, it will have a slot similar to the guide's crafting slot. However, this will not show you all recipes for that item. It will only show recipes you have already recorded which contain that item.

[Edit]The recipe book would be organized by categories (kinda like the crafting window on mobile) and then organized the same as the normal crafting window (with the option to reorganize alphabetically). It would also have a search function, so you can find what you want even more quickly.

Last edited:
No no. It isnt so you can build stuff in the middle of nowhere. It is so you can remember what you were looking for.

The most basic recipes, such as torches, can be very easily memorized.
Not only memorized, but tons of players are bound to either have some wood & gel on their person (I always keep a stack of 999 gel on my character at all times), or they'll already have torches.

I don't support the idea, because the Guide serves the exact same purpose (you can teleport back home with a Magic Mirror to talk to him, and get back to where you were pretty quickly), and the things that you may want to make while you're exploring (Torches, Healing Potions, Arrows, etc) are easily memorized and are able to be found in pots, so you might not even need to make them.

Yeah, but that requires so many steps. And duh. Nobody needs to know how to make torches. That's silly.
Instead of going back to the guide every time, you could use the recipe book. It would save you five or ten minutes in a large world every time you have forgotten which porion ingredient you needed, or how many of a thing you need. I have returned to base many times with one too few of something, and i have to trek back out to the mine halfway across the world just for one more thing.

Yeah, but that requires so many steps. And duh. Nobody needs to know how to make torches. That's silly.
Instead of going back to the guide every time, you could use the recipe book. It would save you five or ten minutes in a large world every time you have forgotten which porion ingredient you needed, or how many of a thing you need. I have returned to base many times with one too few of something, and i have to trek back out to the mine halfway across the world just for one more thing.
The recipes literally only require the materials needed to make them, so they are incredibily easy to memorize, specially that of items which would beliabily have to be crafted while exploring.

This isnt for basic recipes. Yes it would include them, but so what? It is for the complex or obscure recipes you have trouble remembering.
[DOUBLEPOST=1434826771,1434826472][/DOUBLEPOST]You can whip out a table, put the book out on it, look up what you needed, see if you have enough of [material], and then save the trouble of having to go back to base to check, only to come up a little short on materials. True, it functions much like a portable guide, but it only knows what you have asked the guide previously. It is a way of keeping track of things for players who are bad at memorizing recipes or are simply on their first play-through. I think people on here forget what it was like to play the game for the first time.
[DOUBLEPOST=1434827036][/DOUBLEPOST](It also knows the recipes for everything you have had in your inventory while it was equipped.)

This isnt for basic recipes. Yes it would include them, but so what? It is for the complex or obscure recipes you have trouble remembering.
[DOUBLEPOST=1434826771,1434826472][/DOUBLEPOST]You can whip out a table, put the book out on it, look up what you needed, see if you have enough of [material], and then save the trouble of having to go back to base to check, only to come up a little short on materials. True, it functions much like a portable guide, but it only knows what you have asked the guide previously. It is a way of keeping track of things for players who are bad at memorizing recipes or are simply on their first play-through. I think people on here forget what it was like to play the game for the first time.
Why would anyone be short on materials? It wouldn´t make sense to take exactly as much as the recipe needs, specially in the case of materials, such as iron/lead, wood and furniture materials, which have other uses, unless you somehow were to be unable to find enough of it, in which case, the recipe book wouldn´t have helped much.

Its so you can remember how many you need. Not so you can only take that many. Are you misunderstanding on purpose?

Its so you can remember how many you need. Not so you can only take that many. Are you misunderstanding on purpose?
No, it´s that, usually, the only reason why would memorizing how many are needed is if you were to try to make a certain amount of an item without leaving leftover materials. At least, that is the only reason I can think of.

Or you need enough to make multiple things. Like.. how many bars were in the gold armor set? I dont remember. Do i need to go look for more gold ore, or will what i have be enough?

It's pretty good idea for someone that has terrible memory but..

I usually go explore aimlessly pick everything that I interest until I can't carry more.
Because having too many is better having less than what I need.

so, the recipe book isn't going to be necessary for me. (also you can write recipe on IRL book/note/paper etc.)

Or you need enough to make multiple things. Like.. how many bars were in the gold armor set? I dont remember. Do i need to go look for more gold ore, or will what i have be enough?
Simply check it before looking for gold.
And it´s 45 bars, I think.

Good job. You've not one of those who would use this. I would carry one on me at all times, because I have platforms or a table for a piggy bank on me anyways and it won't take much more space. It'd be useful if I go, for example, looking for potion stuff and am too lazy to check the wiki or return to the guide to check the recipes of potions I need. Or hunting materials for something that requires many ingredients and I can't remember the exact amount.

Dude, new players arent going to know all these things. You guys play all the time. It is REALLY frustrating for new players to try to remember everything all the time. I'm just trying to make ways for the game to be easier for new players. If the game is only playable after looking stuff up on the wiki, or if you take hours and hours to figure things out by trial and error, it will have a hard time picking up new players.

Come on guys! This is a great idea, especially when your doing boss spawners or potions. Heck, I'm at duke fishron and i still can't remember half the recipes!
[DOUBLEPOST=1434853244,1434853088][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, it´s that, usually, the only reason why would memorizing how many are needed is if you were to try to make a certain amount of an item without leaving leftover materials. At least, that is the only reason I can think of.
What if you want too make full clyphyte (Or whatever its called) Armor? finding those ores is pretty hard (Atleast it is for me) And i would stop looking for them right when i have enought for armor, because otherwise i would pain myself to look for extra ore thats hard to find and i don't need anymore of it.
[DOUBLEPOST=1434853267][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, what if you forget that it's 45 bars?
[DOUBLEPOST=1434853377][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not only memorized, but tons of players are bound to either have some wood & gel on their person (I always keep a stack of 999 gel on my character at all times), or they'll already have torches.

I don't support the idea, because the Guide serves the exact same purpose (you can teleport back home with a Magic Mirror to talk to him, and get back to where you were pretty quickly), and the things that you may want to make while you're exploring (Torches, Healing Potions, Arrows, etc) are easily memorized and are able to be found in pots, so you might not even need to make them.
Yes, but if your on a large world, on the beach, fishing for fish for potions, then i you woulden't be able too get back quickly.

Back
Top Bottom