tModLoader The Thorium Mod

... although it would be nifty to just have some kind of internal achievement-based system. Nothing involved, just for chuckles.

DivermanSan it is possible to tell Yuyutsu (Dev of Spirit mod) to make cross content (Thorium and Spirit stuff mixed together) because spirit is already balanced in the other update like this mod. Or it's just a dumb idea?

DivermanSan it is possible to tell Yuyutsu (Dev of Spirit mod) to make cross content (Thorium and Spirit stuff mixed together) because spirit is already balanced in the other update like this mod. Or it's just a dumb idea?
when you say cross content, do you mean like Thorium materials making Spirit gear and vice versa? I'm having a hard time imagining that working out

Damn, I was just about to make a bard run. The build already has far fewer options and accessories than the vanilla classes (a gap which goes through the roof for every other mod you're running) and now it's even weaker.
I did a bard playthrough literally the day the nerf came out, its still viable in normal mode single player. Based on how well my bard character has performed expert mode shouldn't be too tough to tackle either so long as you prepare properly.

I did a bard playthrough literally the day the nerf came out, its still viable in normal mode single player. Based on how well my bard character has performed expert mode shouldn't be too tough to tackle either so long as you prepare properly.

I'd still like to see a later-game combiner for the mouthpiece, mute, tuner and pick. My Bard ends up with an arsenal of different weapons for different purposes, and I end up filling up my "vanity" slots with these tools to swap out based on instrument. Given that the individual epic tools are post-WoF, it seems the end result would probably be HM Dungeon-era... you could make it post-Moon Lord, but that's just less time people get to enjoy it in a playthrough. All that not having this contributes is a hassle level of micromanagement, since other classes generally don't have to swap weapon-specific extras with each change of implement (except arguably the Yoyo Bag, for melee classes that use yoyos some of the time).

Also, just a thought following up on my comment about unnecessary content... maybe remove Danger Shards entirely and add Danger equipment to the Tracker, all unlocked with Salamander-era kills. As it is, creatures that drop Danger Shards now just drop more that has to be micro-managed in inventory, between shards and medals. Similar adjustments could be made for other dead-end materials, and, given how medals accumulate fairly easily, it'd give players more chances to use them.

I'd still like to see a later-game combiner for the mouthpiece, mute, tuner and pick. My Bard ends up with an arsenal of different weapons for different purposes, and I end up filling up my "vanity" slots with these tools to swap out based on instrument. Given that the individual epic tools are post-WoF, it seems the end result would probably be HM Dungeon-era... you could make it post-Moon Lord, but that's just less time people get to enjoy it in a playthrough. All that not having this contributes is a hassle level of micromanagement, since other classes generally don't have to swap weapon-specific extras with each change of implement (except arguably the Yoyo Bag, for melee classes that use yoyos some of the time).

Also, just a thought following up on my comment about unnecessary content... maybe remove Danger Shards entirely and add Danger equipment to the Tracker, all unlocked with Salamander-era kills. As it is, creatures that drop Danger Shards now just drop more that has to be micro-managed in inventory, between shards and medals. Similar adjustments could be made for other dead-end materials, and, given how medals accumulate fairly easily, it'd give players more chances to use them.

Would have to agree with you there - the Epic parts are nice, but unless we got an "Benson" Accessory, we're just stumbling to chose which one would work for the right moment. Also, Summons would be an perfect combination with Bard, since having an army to attack with while you're just buffing yourself senseless simply is beautiful.

Also suggested an sort of combination of the dead-end materials, really hoping that we can make armor by fusing all of those materials to be an powerful (at least around Duke to Pillars) gear utilizing either Melee, Range, Magic, Throwing, Summon, Bard, or Radiant style (Like the Joost's Gengi armor)

For some reason when I put a whole set on a mannequin it will break the mannequin and only give me one armor piece back, will this be fixed?

I think the biggest challenge for Bards at this point, besides massively juggling multiple Music Sheets, instruments, and instrument accessories, is the buff cap. I know you're already working on reducing the number of buffs produced in Thorium, but Bards are kiss-your-pet-or-Ironskin-goodbye buff-o-rama.

I think the biggest challenge for Bards at this point, besides massively juggling multiple Music Sheets, instruments, and instrument accessories, is the buff cap. I know you're already working on reducing the number of buffs produced in Thorium, but Bards are kiss-your-pet-or-Ironskin-goodbye buff-o-rama.

The only real route I can see this going is don't use literally every buff you can, though some of bards armor does encourage this... stick to what's important, if your mage has mana regeneration he doesn't need your mana regen buffs. Likewise a gunner who already have an ammo box and ammo reservation buff does not really care about more ammo reservation. Your tank on the other hand would have a damage reduction and everyone loves a damage increase. On hard hitting enemies like bosses damage reduction takes precedence over armor. In my experience movement speed isn't really helpful once you get movement items like mounts and grappling hooks so try to avoid weapons that give it unless they have something better to offer. Extra life bonuses are iffy, they typically don't make a huge difference versus regenerating health and it likely want grant any more than one extra hit worth of health if even that much, at most health is increased by 20 which typically won't save you from anything. Same goes for max mana, you won't get a whole lot more so focus on getting it back faster instead unless as mentioned earlier the mage already has mana regen buffs.

TLDR; from my experience it's best just to focus on the important buffs, if buff limits are a problem cut a few less important ones out and use a different weapon set. Maybe it'll help to discuss what buffs your supplying and what potions will be used. maybe drop a few potions like for example Ironskin potions, they aren't as strong as a mid level defense buff so if buff limits are a problem opt for the latter if you can. Of course, suggesting you can keep it on them.

Hope you find this useful.

Last edited:
This actually highlights parts of my point: Bards end up doing a LOT of weapon and equipment juggling and tool management versus other classes, and all to make sure they... the Bard... don't bump important buffs off the OTHER players. Your point would be more helpful if the game allowed buff blocking, and people were trying to decide what buffs to block on their characters.

As it is, this asks the Bard to constantly keep track of everyone else's buffs and juggle entire toolsets (weapons, accessories, Music Sheets, etc) to suit, and requires they play to less than their full potential... skipping entire lines of buffs... to manage their teammates' buff counts and avoid stripping other key buffs.

(Although this does highlight that the game REALLY needs a way to block buffs on a character, like blocking Magic Power on a melee character.)

Not sure if it's intentional, but the Prismatic Spray triggers the set-bonus of Folv's Ancient Armour a lot more than I think it should be doing. It seems that every tick counts as a cast (and since the Prismatic Spray fires pretty rapidly we are talking a lot of magic bolts). Changing the element of the spray also triggers the set-bonus, and I highly doubt this is supposed to happen either.

Hey, I'm new to the forums but I signed up specifically to say how great this mod is. After playing through vanilla Terraria so many times, Thorium is a really great change of pace for me and my friends. The spritework is top notch, the new enemies, weapons, and items are well balanced, and all in all it feels less like a mod and more like an official expansion! I have a question, though. I'm playing as the bard in my group of friends and I see that, according to the Thorium wiki, the final available armor for Bards is Luminite-tier, while all other classes have something available to them after the new final boss. I haven't been able to skim over all 500 pages of this thread, so I apologize if this has been asked before, but are there any plans for a bard set crafted from primordial essences?

Not sure if it's intentional, but the Prismatic Spray triggers the set-bonus of Folv's Ancient Armour a lot more than I think it should be doing. It seems that every tick counts as a cast (and since the Prismatic Spray fires pretty rapidly we are talking a lot of magic bolts). Changing the element of the spray also triggers the set-bonus, and I highly doubt this is supposed to happen either.
Yeah I also wrote about it a few days ago. Seems weird!
Also for some reason I rarely get the little insiration refill notes as drops when using Folv's, although I'm not using any bard weapons to deplete my inspiration counter (can't tell if that's normal or not) and I've noticed that bard weapons also trigger Folv's special attack.
To be frank it's not really buggy or overpowered or something, but it's nice if the modder knows it's happening in case it's not intentional.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom