Game Mechanics Third layer of placement.

Eythan

Terrarian
I propose that a third layer to place objects be implemented. The reason I would suggest this is because there have been many times I wish I could place objects which my character could go behind such as door frames or supports for caves simply for astetic reasons. Currently it appears there is the background image behind everything, then the layer which I can place walls and then a layer which I can place everything else like blocks and furniture. Since there is a "background" layer for the wall I feel that an additional layer which NPC's and enemies and the playable characters would go behind to create a greater feeling of depth.

Interesting idea.

Even when trapped inside actuated blocks, the player appears on top. However, the Moon Lord appears behind everything, even backwalls, so there is precedent for an entity existing behind blocks.

I see a few potential problems, though. First, how would we know which blocks were in the foreground, and which were on the same plane as the player? There wouldn't necessarily be any clear visual difference, so we wouldn't know unless we walked behind/into them. How would we mine such blocks? Would mining remove both foreground blocks and ones on the same plane? Would they be removed simultaneously, or with preference for removing one or the other? Would any such blocks exist on world generation?

Also, this might be taxing on RAM when loading the world.

I had not anticipated each question you asked above but let me see what suggestings I can think of.

The first one is easy, walls can only be placed in the background. Therefore this forground object (If you wish to call it that. I will refer to this third layer as the foreground in this thread.) would be placed only in the forground.

As far as mining, that is more difficult to answer, it could come with it's own class of tool to remove or add it I suppose. I also consider the hammer might be sutible since it can also remove background objects it seems logical since it would remove foreground objects since they are essentially like the sides of a structure or if you prefer the front and back. However since one may wish to remove one or the other but not necessairly both it seems a new class of tool would be the most appropiate even though this may cause the idea to loose traction.

The items could be generated on world generation but not necessary really. It could simply be craftable.

I do not have a reply for the potential issue with RAM, that is always an issue when programming, there may be a way to work around that or it may simply be to much for todays technology as I am sure you know well. I will leave that concern in the hands of the capable developers if the idea gains enough traction to get that far.

I thought more about this and came up with an alternative other than a new line of tools, although implementation may not be as easy.

What if the hammer had more than one mode so to speak? Remove walls or remove forground or both could also work I believe as long as there is a way to toggle between each mode of functioning.

YES!!! I have wanted this for such a long time! While it would be quite difficult to add this into the game, I'm certain it would add a whole new hype to Terraria. I don't think third-layer blocks should be too common in the naturally generated world, but allowing the player to place foreground blocks would be amazing!

Back
Top Bottom