Weapons & Equip Two new equipment slots

All of which have vastly less flight time/reach/speed up until the Reindeer than the wings of a comparable tier...? With the exception of the Honey bees flight time, which instead is influenced by mobility items such as ballons and wings (if you have any equipped, else you're SOL). Also note that the Reindeer probably still isnt better if you dont get a running start (and fly diagonally)

What im saying is, yes you can do that, but unlike what OPs proposal would result in, your movement will still suffer significantly.

All of which have vastly less flight time/reach/speed up until the Reindeer than the wings of a comparable tier...? With the exception of the Honey bees flight time, which instead is influenced by mobility items such as ballons and wings (if you have any equipped, else you're SOL). Also note that the Reindeer probably still isnt better if you dont get a running start (and fly diagonally)

What im saying is, yes you can do that, but unlike what OPs proposal would result in, your movement will still suffer significantly.
You are completely missing the point, and at this point I'm done trying to discuss this.

Whether or not they're as effective is NOT the point of this discussion, the point of it is that it's an option. End of story.

Again. You don't like giving up something to get something else because that's how the game's designed? Then Terraria is not the game for you. It's give and take, whether you like it or not.

If you want the capability to use more stuff at once, you have to EARN it. Hence the Demon Heart dropping from the Expert Mode Wall of Flesh only.

Err what? Im arguing against the suggestion, because how the game is designed is exactly how i like it...
We totally talked past each other there, haha.

You are completely missing the point, and at this point I'm done trying to discuss this.

Whether or not they're as effective is NOT the point of this discussion, the point of it is that it's an option. End of story.

Again. You don't like giving up something to get something else because that's how the game's designed? Then Terraria is not the game for you. It's give and take, whether you like it or not.

If you want the capability to use more stuff at once, you have to EARN it. Hence the Demon Heart dropping from the Expert Mode Wall of Flesh only.

While I agree with your thoughts behind this, to be fair that is what the suggestion forum is for, it's for embracing new ideas and presenting them in a feasible yet digestible way. Everyone's allowed to have their opinion and fight for it, you can dislike the idea but if the majority likes it, and the devs accept it, we'd have to accept it too ;P

I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with the idea, just seems like it needs more work and isn't right for what they are asking for, doesn't mean they can't have it that way and change the game. (Even if the person you were replying to seemingly was also against the idea.)

Terraria is a game that features elements of customizing your loadout, which is decided by various things like your inventory space and your accessory space. It goes without saying that you should have an adequate amount space to customize your loadout. I don't know about you, but I do not feel two accessory slots is adequate to make a fully customizable loadout and I will explain why each of the three accessories I mention are vital with how the game is designed around them.
  • Wings - The Wings are by far the most powerful accessory in the game. The level of mobility that even the bog-standard Demon and Angel Wings offers far outstrips the Spectre Boots and arguably even the Bundle of Baloons and it grants you complete fall damage immunity, which makes the Lucky Horseshoe completely redundant. When you get to high-tiered wings, things get even crazier like with the Shroomite Hoverboard's fast horizontal movement ability. As a consequence, the entirety of the game after you get Wings is designed around them.
    • The Twins; Spazamatism charges at you incredibly fast, Retinazer fires insane barrages of lasers, both of which can only really be dodged if you have wings.
    • The Destroyer, should you not attempt to cheese it by building an arena that completely defeats its tunneling nature or something crazy like the Magic Harp method, absolutely requires you to fly above and around it with Wings in order to safely get good attacks in.
    • Wings aren't as vital against Plantera, but that's because it being in the underground jungle limits the ability for Wings to cheese it. If was to be fought in the aboveground Jungle, then Plantera would have to be designed a lot differently in order to defeat the mobility ability of the Wings
    • Post-plantera, the game as a whole is designed around you having wings to avoid all the extremely hard-hitting mobs you encounter.
    • Unless you decide to get the two flying mounts (one exclusive in Expert Mode), you will never need to shed your Wings
  • Lightning Boots - If Wings grant you an insane vertical mobility boost, then Lightning Boots do the same for horizontal mobility and do so much earlier. Even when you get the other boots (Lava Waders), the Lightning Boots still remain the go-to choice in most cases because the Lava Waders are rarely needed. Asphalt reduces the need for boots during boss battles, but it only applies if you are running on the Asphalt and that lovely speed boost quickly vanishes if you need to take to the air whereas Lightning Boots keep your momentum as you fly into the air and also provide a bonus to your Wings' flight time.
    • While this is less evident with the Lightning Boots, as it does not affect Skeletron and Queen Bee is manageable without the boots, the game becomes designed around the usage of the boots when Hardmode rolls around. The Specre Boots grant you an invaluable mobility boost in early hardmode with its flight ability, which makes fighting at that stage much easier.
    • A large majority of Hardmode bosses are fast and aggressive, often much faster than what they would normally be. This is to make them stand up against the mobility bonus that the boots and the Wings combined provide. It is no question that the speed and flight boost provided by the boots makes dodging Spazamatism much easier. Same with many other bosses like Duke Fishron.
    • Out of the three, Boots are the least centralizing. In frenzied combat, the main thing they provide is the Lightning Boot's +15% speed boost or the huge Ice Speed boost if you are using Frostspark boots. Outside of combat, boots are invaluable to have as they significantly cut down travel time between distant locations.
  • Cobalt Shield - It eliminates knockback given to you, which I believe is one of the main things that prevents the game from putting you in unfair scenarios in a lot of cases. There are many scenarios, especially in Hardmode, where getting knockback puts you in cheap scenarios. Enemies coming from multiple sides? If you get hit, you could get pinned between them and take a lot more damage than what you should. Spazamatizm's Eye Fire in its second phase is especially heinous for knockback; it pins you in place and you end up taking a lot more damage than what you can afford. The Destroyer's Lasers (which are poorly designed on their own) serve as a major hindrance since they come in large numbers are unpredictable. It only gets worse later on in Hardmode, where getting knocked back at the wrong moment can easily be enough to cheaply kill you.
If the emblems are the big issue with balance in regards to this suggestion, then I would propose that only one Emblem will take effect at a time like how wings work so to prevent getting crazy OP with emblem stacking. Furthermore, I would propose that there only needs to be equipment slots for Wings and Shield, since Boots are the least centralizing accessory of the three I listed. This change will also mean that Wings and Shield change from being accessories to acquistion of which being a natural part of tier progression. (That said, the accessory capacity could be reduced from 5 to 4 if this change happens).

Last edited:
I dont use shields (unless playing a tank in MP: paladins shield is love, paladins shield is life!), if i ever really need knockback immunity because im going to tank a barrage of hits like those lasers or ExSkeletrons spin, just grapple away -> movement + knockback immunity (as long you're being pulled). Beats shields if you ask me.

Limiting how many emblems can be in effect would be a good idea i think (because they're too strong, the meta is pretty much stuff all emblems you can get in + wings/boots, maybe change your weakest emblem for master ninja gear if you want survability), even so, i doubt thats enough to justify essentially two (or even one) more slots, since theres plenty other crazy powerful accresoires (Cross Necklace, Master Ninja Gear, Sniper Scope... to name a few.) to take their place so the player still ends up significantly more powerful than before.

Honestly, i think it just cant be done unless you buff the rest of the game accordingly, power creep is a serious issue here...

I dont use shields (unless playing a tank in MP: paladins shield is love, paladins shield is life!), if i ever really need knockback immunity because im going to tank a barrage of hits like those lasers or ExSkeletrons spin, just grapple away -> movement + knockback immunity (as long you're being pulled). Beats shields if you ask me.

Limiting how many emblems can be in effect would be a good idea i think (because they're too strong, the meta is pretty much stuff all emblems you can get in + wings/boots, maybe change your weakest emblem for master ninja gear if you want survability), even so, i doubt thats enough to justify essentially two (or even one) more slots, since theres plenty other crazy powerful accresoires (Cross Necklace, Master Ninja Gear, Sniper Scope... to name a few.) to take their place so the player still ends up significantly more powerful than before.

Honestly, i think it just cant be done unless you buff the rest of the game accordingly, power creep is a serious issue here...

And again, Power Creep goes right out the window the moment you defeat Golem and the Cosmic Car Key becomes available, because there's really no reason to use Wings+Boots if you have the CCK.

So the only "Power Creep" we need to "worry" about, is the period of time between Mechs and Golem.

If we make Emblems Not Stack, that solves more than half of the problem, as most of what you talk about (Sniper Scopes, Master Ninja Gear, etc) are Post-Plantera anyways. Golem can be cheaped to the point you don't need accessories whatsoever to kill him, and once he's dead... COSMIC CAR KEY TIME!

And you can defeat the UFOs without taking a single hit with any Yo-Yo (I've done it with a Yelets, it just takes forever).

Once you have the Cosmic Car Key, then the "OH NO TWO EXTRA SLOTS!" goes out the window, because I unequip boots and wings (well I move them to the social slot) when fighting bosses anyways.

So, again... the only issue is between Mechs and Golem. What good accessories that actually break the game at this point?

WoF Emblem+Avenger's Emblem (make emblems not stack, which should already be a thing).
Cross Necklace+Charm of Myths (meh; I usually have one of these equipped anyways).

Once you kill Plantera and before Golem:

Master Ninja Gear
Sniper Scope (make the damage/crit not stack with Emblems that have the same which should already be a rule)

I can't really think of any other "overpowered" situations.

Why is it bad for emblems to be able to stack? You're trading utility for damage. That's how character builds work, you have to find a balance of damage and utility. If a part of the game is perfectly fine, but your suggestion would require a certain part of the game to be nerfed just so it can be put in and people wouldn't feel it would be too powerful, then it's probably a bad suggestion.

The UFO and Cute Fishron may provide you with infinite flight, but wings have far tighter controls, especially the Hoverboard. They feel like floating cinderblocks, and I'm positive that was the point - you get an item with a really good utility (infinite flight) but you can't do quick movements in it and you'll move slower than you would with other items (such as Hoverboard and Vortex Booster) for the convenience of not needing to land.

Terraria is a game that features elements of customizing your loadout, which is decided by various things like your inventory space and your accessory space. It goes without saying that you should have an adequate amount space to customize your loadout. I don't know about you, but I do not feel two accessory slots is adequate to make a fully customizable loadout and I will explain why each of the three accessories I mention are vital with how the game is designed around them.

Terraria is a game that can be decided by the players themselves. Whether you choose to customize your load-out one way or another is up to the player in question. "Vital" is a REALLY strong word, especially for items that aren't such.

• Wings - The Wings are by far the most powerful accessory in the game. The level of mobility that even the bog-standard Demon and Angel Wings offers far outstrips the Spectre Boots and arguably even the Bundle of Baloons and it grants you complete fall damage immunity, which makes the Lucky Horseshoe completely redundant. When you get to high-tiered wings, things get even crazier like with the Shroomite Hoverboard's fast horizontal movement ability. As a consequence, the entirety of the game after you get Wings is designed around them.
    • The Twins; Spazamatism charges at you incredibly fast, Retinazer fires insane barrages of lasers, both of which can only really be dodged if you have wings.
    • The Destroyer, should you not attempt to cheese it by building an arena that completely defeats its tunneling nature or something crazy like the Magic Harp method, absolutely requires you to fly above and around it with Wings in order to safely get good attacks in.
    • Wings aren't as vital against Plantera, but that's because it being in the underground jungle limits the ability for Wings to cheese it. If was to be fought in the aboveground Jungle, then Plantera would have to be designed a lot differently in order to defeat the mobility ability of the Wings
    • Post-plantera, the game as a whole is designed around you having wings to avoid all the extremely hard-hitting mobs you encounter.
    • Unless you decide to get the two flying mounts (one exclusive in Expert Mode), you will never need to shed your Wings

• Wings aren't very powerful, the utility they offer early hardmode is nice but not at all necessary given you can get exactly the same utility out of singular placed blocks and simple jumping of bundle of balloons with lucky horseshoe and then include a grappling hook of any tier, the combination makes dodging most attacks easy including their enraged modes when they get under a low health threshold. The game is hardly designed around the wings. They are nice; but not needed as much as other tools, especially since they become irrelevant when you get further in the game in general. I haven't worn wings once in my Expert play through. You can say this is just my personal skill, or that not all players are going to attempt such a thing or want to but the idea behind suggestions is one person coming up with a concept. If that's the case my strategy should hold the same ground as anyone's ideas.

Your first example is the twins; these can be fought on a level surface easily, no arena required, no wings required, just flattened ground. Whether you're using lightning boots, or a lower tier boots in combination with movement speed buffs of various sources. Or the now easily obtainable Unicorn mount. They aren't that hard to fight with or without an arena. The wings while offering mobility can't beat how fast those monsters stick to you, this is especially true for expert mode where you have to rely more on luck/potions being up for certain fights or having a proper arena built. Saying they are the only viable way to dodge the attacks is really making out the lower tier gear as garbage and it's a very gross over-exaggeration of the facts.

Your next example is the Destroyer, again, no arena needed for you can bait him to go for you and dodge him quite easily with a grappling hook, just jumping upwards as he's about to ascend on your directional coordinate, using a combination of the map you can quite easily move out of the way. You could stand on a single block in the sky and it would "cheese" the destroyer if that's what you see that as. I simply see it as a strategy to defeat a foe that could mince me easily if I got caught too many times. The wings make the fight easier but they are definitely not a necessity. You listing other methods of killing him says as much.

Why even bring up Plantera in your argument to why wings are vital if you're even going as far as to say the wings aren't as useful. Wouldn't that apply for all situations in which wings aren't useful. Should I outline just how many there are? Against the Duke, against the Martians, against the Moon Lord? I mean what you're trying to say is wings are oh so necessary, that the game was designed around them yet you go on to say that they aren't vital to some of the battles? How can the game be designed around them, with them in mind if they aren't needed for certain things- perhaps you might want to think this through. As to why they are useful, not necessary. You say the game is designed around using wings to avoid hard hitting mobs but honestly just jumping over them negates all the damage you're referring to which can again, be achieved by many things, simply building a small system of ropes and ladders, platforms, underground tunnels. There's so many things you can do to prevent damage yet you're acting like Wings are some saving grace from the heavens. They are not all that.

• Lightning Boots - If Wings grant you an insane vertical mobility boost, then Lightning Boots do the same for horizontal mobility and do so much earlier. Even when you get the other boots (Lava Waders), the Lightning Boots still remain the go-to choice in most cases because the Lava Waders are rarely needed. Asphalt reduces the need for boots during boss battles, but it only applies if you are running on the Asphalt and that lovely speed boost quickly vanishes if you need to take to the air whereas Lightning Boots keep your momentum as you fly into the air and also provide a bonus to your Wings' flight time.
    • While this is less evident with the Lightning Boots, as it does not affect Skeletron and Queen Bee is manageable without the boots, the game becomes designed around the usage of the boots when Hardmode rolls around. The Specre Boots grant you an invaluable mobility boost in early hardmode with its flight ability, which makes fighting at that stage much easier.
    • A large majority of Hardmode bosses are fast and aggressive, often much faster than what they would normally be. This is to make them stand up against the mobility bonus that the boots and the Wings combined provide. It is no question that the speed and flight boost provided by the boots makes dodging Spazamatism much easier. Same with many other bosses like Duke Fishron.
    • Out of the three, Boots are the least centralizing. In frenzied combat, the main thing they provide is the Lightning Boot's +15% speed boost or the huge Ice Speed boost if you are using Frostspark boots. Outside of combat, boots are invaluable to have as they significantly cut down travel time between distant locations.

• Lightning boots grant you a bit of speed on the ground, but you have to go out of your way to make the land contorted to your design otherwise you lose that speed boost. Isn't that cheesing the bosses as you said earlier- I mean in a way that's creating an arena of sorts isn't it? Gouging the land for your benefit, and asphalting it over seems a lot more cheesing than simply standing on a block and throwing a yo-yo around.

The reason Hardmode bosses are so fast is because of people trying to cheese them with teleporting away while mob grinders ate away at them. It doesn't have anything to do with the boots or wings, or any particular items. They made the bosses faster to make them challenging, when they were slower you could use teleporters to easily dodge them, I know because I have been around long before and saw many arenas that used that concept. Hell, some still do partially, although most use hoiks which speed them up a considerable amount without activating the bosses. "This person is cheesing." variables.

Honestly it goes without saying the Unicorn beats these boots easily in terms of speed. You can easily out run all the hardmode bosses and cheese them simply with the mount and how fast it gets on a skybridge.

I'll bring up teleporters as the reason boots aren't necessary traveling to one location or the other. Literally makes the boots useless when it comes to "travel time." And again, I'll bring up the Unicorn on the rare occasions that you don't have a teleporter set up in a world you're traveling across, big or small.
  • Cobalt Shield - It eliminates knockback given to you, which I believe is one of the main things that prevents the game from putting you in unfair scenarios in a lot of cases. There are many scenarios, especially in Hardmode, where getting knockback puts you in cheap scenarios. Enemies coming from multiple sides? If you get hit, you could get pinned between them and take a lot more damage than what you should. Spazamatizm's Eye Fire in its second phase is especially heinous for knockback; it pins you in place and you end up taking a lot more damage than what you can afford. The Destroyer's Lasers (which are poorly designed on their own) serve as a major hindrance since they come in large numbers are unpredictable. It only gets worse later on in Hardmode, where getting knocked back at the wrong moment can easily be enough to cheaply kill you.

• I never use Cobalt shield or Ankh shield, I feel both take away from things and much prefer the Paladin shield when I need the extra defense. While there are a lot of scenarios that can put you in a tough spot, it's your job as a player to fight around such things, whether it's using the Cobalt shield or not is up to you, but I don't feel like it's an amazing item, if you're good enough you won't even get hit, and if you do get hit then you should be prepared to reorient yourself with a grappling hook.
If the emblems are the big issue with balance in regards to this suggestion, then I would propose that only one Emblem will take effect at a time like how wings work so to prevent getting crazy OP with emblem stacking. Furthermore, I would propose that there only needs to be equipment slots for Wings and Shield, since Boots are the least centralizing accessory of the three I listed. This change will also mean that Wings and Shield change from being accessories to acquistion of which being a natural part of tier progression. (That said, the accessory capacity could be reduced from 5 to 4 if this change happens).

Medals shouldn't even be brought up here. The problem is that the ideas of this thread break the balance that's somewhat has semblance in the game and changing it just to suit your needs makes the suggestion seem less than worthy of being implemented because anyone could hold a similar argument.
"Why even add these items/changes if we don't like them, or we feel they are OP."
Yet your answer is:
"Because some people like them, and if it's too op we'll just change how the system has worked up until now."

That's not how you solve the problem, that's putting a band-aid on the issue. You need to really think about this, instead of changing how the game works, change how your suggestion fits into the game, the idea is that these items hold an integral part to the game, and you want to see them realized for all the potential that you see in them right? Well they were added to the game, the game weren't added to the items, if you get me. The game came first, the items came next. To say the game centralizes around any one particular item, or multiple, or any is making things complicated, a lot more complicated than they need to be. All you have to say is why you want the items in the game, why you want this change to come into effect, and how it would effect things that people bring up. Not "We'll just remove this, or change that." You're moving too far away from your base idea. I had this same problem when I first suggested something/gave advice for suggestions. I had an idea for a portable lantern- one that would outshine the items that weren't in the game at the time, and would also be basically a way to not have to use torches, it would be a tool more along the lines of the grappling hook, you toggle it on, it drains slime from your inventory over time but you don't have to put a torch down and you could upgrade it etc. But as people brought up problems, instead of tinkering MY idea, I started offering ways the game could be changed. This isn't wrong to do; but there should be a limit to how far the idea stretches, if it goes to far it's better to just start over from scratch and try again, reinvent the idea as something else that adds what you want, and takes into consideration other things. Like having a debuff if you have too many items equipped, your wing speed and momentum is slightly reduced along with your shield's defense bonus being negated just from how many things you have on your person. Like an encumbered debuff or something. Something that makes it worth having the items but also shows that you're taking into account that this person is getting bonuses they wouldn't normally get/being allowed to equip more items. I'm not saying this is "the" solution to the problem but that's just my two cents on this entire issue.

Thanks for reading everything I've had to say and being overall civil in your rebukes and responses. I appreciate keeping this; the forums a friendly place even though I don't have the power of a moderator or anything. I still give kudos to you. If you want to talk more at length you are free to PM me, anyone that reads this or anything else and thinks they have issues with what I said. Don't clog up a thread that has a suggestion though with simple retorts however. I went out of my way to type all this up, considering everything the OP had to say.

Thanks for reading my replies to anyone that has, I wish you, and everyone else luck in debating/coming up with a good compromise/reason for this suggestion. ^^

Featherfall is a pretty handy potion, it really is under rated. It's what let me complete a pre-hardmode item only run pre-1.3 (which was basically phoenix blaster most of hardmode). Wings are not vital, but they make life a lot easier.

I'm neutral on this idea, though. Once you get wings, you can easily go without boots, although it is bothersome to walk so slowly in your house. Since you can already get the horizontal boost of boots from (most) wings, I wouldn't call it overpowered to allow hermes sprinting with wings. It would just make life at home more convenient.

To those claiming this would be OP.. I'm not so sure on that. I've played this game since days after release, and there was once a time that modifiers didn't exist, so no +20% damage or +20 defense, or extra crit (which crits also didn't exist) and speed on weapons. We also didn't have accessory tinkers, and we were once without buff potions. My preferred "load out" was Hermes and Rocket Boots, Band of Regen/Flippers, and CiaB with the balloon. Now, I'd go with Yellow/White Horseshoe Balloon, Flying Carpet, Frostspark Boots, Band of Regen, and then just whatever else that could be useful.. now with just 3 accessories I'm more powerful than I was pre-1.1, and that's not factoring modifiers, or the fact that they've nerfed lots of enemies and some bosses since, or that we have campfires and heart lanterns now, or honey, or that we have buff potions, or that we have mounts now. If the game is still fine now, would allowing a wing slot suddenly break the game? I'm leaning towards No. Now that may seem like a slippery slope, because then you could ask if allowing a slot for X item would break the game.. but seeing how bosses seem to be designed with the mobility of wings in mind, they're the most worthy of their own slot to me. You can fight them without wings, but you're really just making things harder for yourself. Going without wings for something else is less of "another option," but more of a handicap.

About shields.. I dunno why so many seem to hate knockback so much. Besides being knocked off a high ledge to my death by a bat in the early early game, knockback has saved me more than harmed me (there was one time a bat bumped me out of a falling boulder
zwSU2tr.png
). It bumps you back to avoid further damage. If an enemy is on you, you will continue taking damage, but the knockback gives you a chance to escape. Spaz's fire breath is the only attack that I think no knockback would be beneficial, though it's already so easy to avoid so I don't even bother. I think the only time I've ever wanted to use a cobalt shield, besides its awesome vanity purposes, is for the Dungeon Guardian, where being bumped back by a slime can kill you, haha.. learned that the hard way.
D3g8WBS.png

I think I'd be down for a wing slot. The game does seem balanced around them later on and they're a special kind of accessory with several variants with increasing power, similar to armor. A playthrough without wings is a lot more challenging than a playthrough without an Avenger Emblem. Emblems are optional, but I wouldn't call wings vital or necessary but rather.. considerably much, much more important than emblems. At least until the Cosmic Car Key, which moves slower than wings but.. moves fast enough, really. You can out-fly the Moon Lord with it, and tapping carefully won't trigger him to teleport to you, as you remain in death ray free zone. Wings still have some purpose out of combat then, so the slot wouldn't entirely become obsolete.

TL;DR: We once had no modifiers, no tinkers, and no buffs. So I don't think a wing slot would suddenly break the game. *shrug*

About shields.. I dunno why so many seem to hate knockback so much. Besides being knocked off a high ledge to my death by a bat in the early early game, knockback has saved me more than harmed me (there was one time a bat bumped me out of a falling boulder
zwSU2tr.png
). It bumps you back to avoid further damage. If an enemy is on you, you will continue taking damage, but the knockback gives you a chance to escape. Spaz's fire breath is the only attack that I think no knockback would be beneficial, though it's already so easy to avoid so I don't even bother. I think the only time I've ever wanted to use a cobalt shield, besides its awesome vanity purposes, is for the Dungeon Guardian, where being bumped back by a slime can kill you, haha.. learned that the hard way.

Knockback can outright kill you in some situations.

If an enemy has you trapped in a tight passageway (Brain of Cthulhu!), it can become impossible to escape it because you try to escape the passageway and you get knocked back and if it is a large enemy (like the BoC) or there are multiple enemies, you're stuck there and you must either kill them... or die. KB is also one of the only reasons King Slime is dangerous. Once he traps you either inside of his body or near him with all of his little helper slimes, KB is what makes it REALLY hard to escape. If it weren't for KB, you could just run away from him and you'd be fine.

With KB Immunity, you can just run right through them. You might take 2 hits instead of 1, but you'll never get stuck in a tight passageway. This can also happen in the underworld with demons inside the towers (as well as bats and slimes too). It is also annoying whenever you're trying to build anything, and a stupid slime keeps knocking you around, or when you're fishing, waiting for the fish to bite. If you switch to a weapon, you have to reel in your line even if you had a bite, you still lose the catch. So oftentimes, I wait until I pull the fish in, and THEN kill the stupid thing that's pestering me. Without KB immunity, half of the time the stupid thing knocks you into the water.

KB also interrupts your movement. You're running along with Hermes boots and 1 damage from a slime will utterly stop you in your tracks. You lose ALL of your momentum, and in a boss fight, such as Skeletron Prime or Twins, I would imagine that losing your momentum in mid-flight could be deadly, especially in the case of Spazmatism's green fire attack, that you want to get away from ASAP. I'd hate for, say, to be flying away from Spaz and get hit with a 5 damage laser from Retinazer which stops my momentum then I get roasted by Spaz's green fire because of it. Or, I'm trying to stay away from the Prime Saw and the Prime Laser hits me for like 10 damage and I lose my momentum and then I wind up getting hit with his saw because I couldn't get away in time.

That's why I HATE knockback in this game.

Knockback can outright kill you in some situations.

If an enemy has you trapped in a tight passageway (Brain of Cthulhu!), it can become impossible to escape it because you try to escape the passageway and you get knocked back and if it is a large enemy (like the BoC) or there are multiple enemies, you're stuck there and you must either kill them... or die. KB is also one of the only reasons King Slime is dangerous. Once he traps you either inside of his body or near him with all of his little helper slimes, KB is what makes it REALLY hard to escape. If it weren't for KB, you could just run away from him and you'd be fine.

With KB Immunity, you can just run right through them. You might take 2 hits instead of 1, but you'll never get stuck in a tight passageway. This can also happen in the underworld with demons inside the towers (as well as bats and slimes too). It is also annoying whenever you're trying to build anything, and a stupid slime keeps knocking you around, or when you're fishing, waiting for the fish to bite. If you switch to a weapon, you have to reel in your line even if you had a bite, you still lose the catch. So oftentimes, I wait until I pull the fish in, and THEN kill the stupid thing that's pestering me. Without KB immunity, half of the time the stupid thing knocks you into the water.

KB also interrupts your movement. You're running along with Hermes boots and 1 damage from a slime will utterly stop you in your tracks. You lose ALL of your momentum, and in a boss fight, such as Skeletron Prime or Twins, I would imagine that losing your momentum in mid-flight could be deadly, especially in the case of Spazmatism's green fire attack, that you want to get away from ASAP. I'd hate for, say, to be flying away from Spaz and get hit with a 5 damage laser from Retinazer which stops my momentum then I get roasted by Spaz's green fire because of it. Or, I'm trying to stay away from the Prime Saw and the Prime Laser hits me for like 10 damage and I lose my momentum and then I wind up getting hit with his saw because I couldn't get away in time.

That's why I HATE knockback in this game.
Whenever I want to cancel knockback, I throw out my grapple to yank me out of a large boss that may be too big for knockback to push me out completely, or grapple down if I'm fishing, letting my minion take care of incoming enemies. You already have a slot dedicated for the grappling hook so might as well get the best of it, which will allow you an extra accessory slot for a non-shield item. Maybe if the shield instead reflected knockback and sent enemies away, I'd consider it, but my hook can practically do whatever the shield can.

Oh, I just remembered my fifth pre-hardmode accessory (it's been awhile since I've played), the frog leg, which I use far into hardmode as well. That not only helps with the lack of blocks in the sky for me to fling myself towards (though can always set up some platforms), but makes dodging far more easier. That thing is absolutely amazing with wings.

For the Brain of Cthulhu, I place down a block right next to the crimson heart and chuck a sticky bomb and quickly grapple out, by the time it explodes I'm already out of the small passageway. Alternatively, you can summon the boss with the Bloody Spine from a safe spot. King Slime, grapple down to the side to pull yourself out and kickstart your hermes boots, just need to release before you reel in all the way. And then for the Twins, Spaz's EoC lunges are very easy to avoid, so really the fire should never get to you. But if it does, the lunges are so long that it should be far from you, so if the end of the fire stream hits you, it should knock you back out of it, rather than no-knockback you into the stream for more hits. For the Ret problem.. I just take out Ret before triggering Spaz's second form. Fighting Spaz in second form with Ret around can be tough, but when alone the difficulty drops to easy peasy. Spaz's first form is easy enough to avoid while Ret is in second form, I think.

I recommend try practicing with the hook, it makes an excellent replacement for all your no-knockback needs. You can't replace the hook, but you can learn to use it right to replace the shield. For example, you don't need to use the Lava Waders for WoF if you have the two potions, you'd be better off using something like a Flying Carpet. If you can learn to do without, that gives you one more slot of power, such as the Cross Necklace, which can practically negate up to 50% damage, while also giving you more time to escape before being juggled by knockback, which I find rarely ever happening anyway besides for early game expert Slime Rain.

Though.. this is about wings and boots, right? Besides the small handful of wings that don't provide horizontal boost (Mothron, one or two of the celestials, and I think Bat wings too? I suspect they may be bugged/overlooked), wings will replace your boots, and with a featherfall potion you can get much more extra lift than the what, extra 10 blocks the boots would have provided? as well as have better control of descent, so I don't feel a boot slot is really necessary. Would your boot slot idea allow boots to be worn in accessories as well? Because before tinkering you can have both Rocket and Hermes to use, as well as Waterwalking and its upgrades, Ice Skates, and Flippers if you count that. I do not think a boot slot could work like a wing slot could, as you can only have one kind of wing active whereas you can have a few boots at once. Perhaps a simpler solution would be to give hardmode greaves/leggings the hermes effect, like how wings have the horseshoe effect. They are made of some mythical metals anyway.

Back
Top Bottom