tModLoader VapeMods by FractalXX

Just wanted to let you know that mobs which change forms (spider mobs, Lost Girl/Nymph) lose their chaos state on doing so. modifiers seem to stay though. its just the chaos tag which allows the gain of chaos exp in the end.

Didn't think of that, will fix it. Thanks.

Ugh. is there a way to turn off the unusable life crystal or mana stars? It makes fighting eye of cthulu impossible early game

Ugh. is there a way to turn off the unusable life crystal or mana stars? It makes fighting eye of cthulu impossible early game
false, it doesnt make it impossible.
how are you fighting the eye of cthulhu?did you try getting some accessories (no matter which) so maybe some of them got vitality on them?
what weapons are you using?

its possible to beat the eye with only 100 hp on expert mode, so dont tell me its impossible :/

I really appreciate your opinion. Skills were kinda rushed sadly, as I had to release the update quickly (mostly because of the bug fixes, those were more important), of course it needs tweaking/improvement.

1. Didn't take mods into consideration, yet. The reason is that even this mod is in a very early stage. The focus is on this, I'll only really start thinking of other mods later. I actually did some tweaking for other mods but those were mostly fixes for incompatibilities.
On the other hand, good point.
2. It is, tried to nerf it a lot and I still have to do it further.
3. I don't quite understand what you mean by this. There's only one skill which affects movement speed and that's Energizing Kills (and it's only minor, the real point of that skill is the defensive effect).
4. You're right. Thought of fire speed/casting speed. I didn't really find out how to affect it code-wise. What can be modified directly are melee speed and thrown velocity, only.
5. I agree. I'll have to change the way Spirit works.
6. I also thought of that and will change this soon.
7. You're right. Stat bonuses would've been nerfed anyway.
8. That would introduce some system related problems. It can be done technically, though.
9. You're right. I didn't intend to make this tree layout as the final, though.
10. Will change the branches slightly. Respeccing will come in the next update, though.
11. Same.
12. A little nerf on Titan Grip will do the trick, I guess.
13. Above.
14. Broken English. My mistake.
15. I was also hesitating while implementing this skill. I see two options here:
- Make it so that it doesn't strictly apply when the enemy has max health but rather on your real first hit. (some bugs could arise)
- Make it so that it applies when you haven't used any of your weapons for a while (idle time).

16. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.
17. Aggro will be cut out, it's just a placeholder for the time being.
18. More would be too much for high damage mobs. Still, I kinda agree.
19. Agreed.
1. understandable, mods in general are in a weird state, compatibility, what they provide, memory issues and such and the overall support of modding. running just a couple of mods like stack size, 1 class mod and maybe a content mod and some more mods similar to stack size would be dueable, it's only when you go overboard that it starts to become a massive problem. in terms of the mana thing, i have to add that in vanilla, it might be okey to have mana and reservation included in the pathing and while modding, it's better to keep them optional.
3. not too sure either, i guess it's just that i don't understand the stat, i don't know where it maxes out, it doesn't quite help in fly situations and some more stuff, point being is that movement speed should be a bonus stat but that's from the perspective of someone who do not understand everything about the interaction in terraria.
4. if you can find out how to modify cast speed or in the case where it could be useful: summoning minions should be faster or made so that you summon max number of minions at once. for example: when you reach 300 spirit and agility, you automatically summon all minions at once. the number could be tweaked and you should assume that you need to have atleast 5 minions for it to take effect.
5. 6. (7.) sometimes i don't know what i'm saying myself, some stats are quite balanced and some are too powerful, 50% attack speed on 1 piece? seems a bit over the top. but ehh
8. these 2 nodes ARE the first once you encounter on the skilltree tho. hmm, i wonder if there is a way to make it so that whenever you mine an ore, you get vision of that ore around your screen like a lesser version of spelunker, wouldn't that be cool? probably pretty hard to code tho but it's just an unrelated thought for conversational purposes i guess... anyway.
9. as you said earlier, you rushed it, so throwing the nodes in there would be just a bonus and you expected people to comment on it, it would be dull not to have a skilltree until you make up your mind about things afterall.
10. neat! (just a random thrown in note: did you know that i didn't get my skillpoints back after updating but my levels still remained the same?)
12. don't take my word for it, i have barely even tried the nodes out >.<
14. i think many get this confused, even i. it may not be an official thing but i first learned from Path of Exile that increased is more common and increases the base value while MORE increases the value you end up with after you "increased" if any of that makes sense.
15. or if possible, make it so that any kind of damage dealt by you (minions, dot, hit and more) applies the first hit effect. the "hit" in the name and the damage over time effect... well, damage over time isn't a hit is it? don't know how to explain my thoughts on that.
16. it's the line, not sure what it's called but i believe first touch is related to the 100%, from there you should be able to figure it out. uhh... basically, wouldn't it make more sense if the nodes went like 20%, 70% 100% instead? or the other way around. it's not a issue tho, it's just a little mind dilemma, nothing to prioritize.
18. well if you get hit by a 500 damage hit, you will reflect 25 or 50 damage which by that point you might already be able to deal that value continuesly and this might be another mod dilemma where you can get thorns or reflect from many different sources. not a big deal tho.
[doublepost=1503221557,1503221080][/doublepost]can you add an item that have a rare chance to drop from bosses which allow you to turn your first item on your hotbar into a unique? tier 1 drops earlier then their 2 and their 2 applies these to both laners (procent and attribute)

1. understandable, mods in general are in a weird state, compatibility, what they provide, memory issues and such and the overall support of modding. running just a couple of mods like stack size, 1 class mod and maybe a content mod and some more mods similar to stack size would be dueable, it's only when you go overboard that it starts to become a massive problem. in terms of the mana thing, i have to add that in vanilla, it might be okey to have mana and reservation included in the pathing and while modding, it's better to keep them optional.
3. not too sure either, i guess it's just that i don't understand the stat, i don't know where it maxes out, it doesn't quite help in fly situations and some more stuff, point being is that movement speed should be a bonus stat but that's from the perspective of someone who do not understand everything about the interaction in terraria.
4. if you can find out how to modify cast speed or in the case where it could be useful: summoning minions should be faster or made so that you summon max number of minions at once. for example: when you reach 300 spirit and agility, you automatically summon all minions at once. the number could be tweaked and you should assume that you need to have atleast 5 minions for it to take effect.
5. 6. (7.) sometimes i don't know what i'm saying myself, some stats are quite balanced and some are too powerful, 50% attack speed on 1 piece? seems a bit over the top. but ehh
8. these 2 nodes ARE the first once you encounter on the skilltree tho. hmm, i wonder if there is a way to make it so that whenever you mine an ore, you get vision of that ore around your screen like a lesser version of spelunker, wouldn't that be cool? probably pretty hard to code tho but it's just an unrelated thought for conversational purposes i guess... anyway.
9. as you said earlier, you rushed it, so throwing the nodes in there would be just a bonus and you expected people to comment on it, it would be dull not to have a skilltree until you make up your mind about things afterall.
10. neat! (just a random thrown in note: did you know that i didn't get my skillpoints back after updating but my levels still remained the same?)
12. don't take my word for it, i have barely even tried the nodes out >.<
14. i think many get this confused, even i. it may not be an official thing but i first learned from Path of Exile that increased is more common and increases the base value while MORE increases the value you end up with after you "increased" if any of that makes sense.
15. or if possible, make it so that any kind of damage dealt by you (minions, dot, hit and more) applies the first hit effect. the "hit" in the name and the damage over time effect... well, damage over time isn't a hit is it? don't know how to explain my thoughts on that.
16. it's the line, not sure what it's called but i believe first touch is related to the 100%, from there you should be able to figure it out. uhh... basically, wouldn't it make more sense if the nodes went like 20%, 70% 100% instead? or the other way around. it's not a issue tho, it's just a little mind dilemma, nothing to prioritize.
18. well if you get hit by a 500 damage hit, you will reflect 25 or 50 damage which by that point you might already be able to deal that value continuesly and this might be another mod dilemma where you can get thorns or reflect from many different sources. not a big deal tho.
[doublepost=1503221557,1503221080][/doublepost]can you add an item that have a rare chance to drop from bosses which allow you to turn your first item on your hotbar into a unique? tier 1 drops earlier then their 2 and their 2 applies these to both laners (procent and attribute)

3. Movement speed maxes out at 160%, If I recall correctly. It can be pushed further if I increase max run speed instead after reaching this cap (it's the hermes boots stat, I think)
4. Neat idea. I'll take a look into this, it needs very careful coding, though.
5. 50% attack speed? By any chance, do you use Vape Loot in combination with VapeRPG? They are conflicting with eachother. Not on a technical level but rather logical.
8. It's possible, I don't have any specific idea on how I would do this at the moment, though.
10. Um, that's a little technical issue, I didn't plan ahead well enough. Forgot to implement save versions which would stay consistent throughout all updates. Will have to do it, though. For now, a new character is needed because of the whole new skill system.
15. I understand what you mean here. In fact, I didn't form the description correctly because it does apply on minion hit if it's the first. That's how the code works at least, since minions count as projectiles and I made it with them in mind.
16. Might change the order in the future.
18. I see. Will buff reflect a little bit.

The unique modifier item is a neat idea. I'll work something out of this.
I also thought of Diablo like runewords but in a different form. That may be the candidate for this role.

false, it doesnt make it impossible.
how are you fighting the eye of cthulhu?did you try getting some accessories (no matter which) so maybe some of them got vitality on them?
what weapons are you using?

its possible to beat the eye with only 100 hp on expert mode, so dont tell me its impossible :/
._. Right now i'm really not yrimir , My accessories all have vitality on them, and i have 200 hp which isn't enough right now as when eye of cthulu goes berserk it hits me at least once per attack pattern, but the real problem is the mana stars...... my main weapon is the vile thorn but it uses too much mana for this stage of the game when you only have a limited amount of mana, on my non-modded playthrough i easily beat eye of cthulu with 200 hp, but i heavily relied on mana.

._. Right now i'm really not yrimir , My accessories all have vitality on them, and i have 200 hp which isn't enough right now as when eye of cthulu goes berserk it hits me at least once per attack pattern, but the real problem is the mana stars...... my main weapon is the vile thorn but it uses too much mana for this stage of the game when you only have a limited amount of mana, on my non-modded playthrough i easily beat eye of cthulu with 200 hp, but i heavily relied on mana.

Intellect is scrapped already, you'll get more mana per level in the next update.
Vitality will be slightly altered as well.
Also, I'll make it so that the first respec will be free for every character. Further respecs will cost a lot, though.

3. Movement speed maxes out at 160%, If I recall correctly. It can be pushed further if I increase max run speed instead after reaching this cap (it's the hermes boots stat, I think)
4. Neat idea. I'll take a look into this, it needs very careful coding, though.
5. 50% attack speed? By any chance, do you use Vape Loot in combination with VapeRPG? They are conflicting with eachother. Not on a technical level but rather logical.
8. It's possible, I don't have any specific idea on how I would do this at the moment, though.
10. Um, that's a little technical issue, I didn't plan ahead well enough. Forgot to implement save versions which would stay consistent throughout all updates. Will have to do it, though. For now, a new character is needed because of the whole new skill system.
15. I understand what you mean here. In fact, I didn't form the description correctly because it does apply on minion hit if it's the first. That's how the code works at least, since minions count as projectiles and I made it with them in mind.
16. Might change the order in the future.
18. I see. Will buff reflect a little bit.

The unique modifier item is a neat idea. I'll work something out of this.
I also thought of Diablo like runewords but in a different form. That may be the candidate for this role.
3. i think increasing max movement speed would be good, there really shouldn't be a limit, the only limit is when you feel you move too fast to control, in which case you should be able to respec the points or keep them the way they are and not invest further.
4. if that would be possible, i would have even more reason to go for minion builds >.< but ehh, not complainin, it's a quality of life thing afterall, a little time saver as well.
5. that would explain it yes. i have one mod that allows body, boots and helmets to be reforged, another one that adds stats like: 10% increased damage while below 20 defence or increased penetration by 5 on separate pieces.
then i use another one (this one i assume) that adds attributes to items, lastly i think or thought this was related to this mod where by using thos reroll things, you can get flat crit chance, increased damage of a type or increased attack spec etc. would have been better if i tested but ehh... it does get confusing trying to suggest things from a perspective of someone who overload on mods. as i probably said before >.<... anyway.
10. right, it's good to re-experience the new stuff from a level 1 perspective. (random thrown in note: i might eventually try playing with only this mod and maybe another one like max stack that doesn't get in the way just to get more accurate information.)
15. i thought it would only have been logical if minions did apply first hit, so that makes sense.

on other notes, school starts in like 2 days from tomarrow so i won't have as much time.
[doublepost=1503259297,1503259135][/doublepost]
Intellect is scrapped already, you'll get more mana per level in the next update.
Vitality will be slightly altered as well.
Also, I'll make it so that the first respec will be free for every character. Further respecs will cost a lot, though.
LIKE PATH OF EXILE!
uhh... well, in PoE they give free respecs due to massive changes and respecing afterwards usually costs a bit... so yeah, kinda irelavent what i just said.

3. i think increasing max movement speed would be good, there really shouldn't be a limit, the only limit is when you feel you move too fast to control, in which case you should be able to respec the points or keep them the way they are and not invest further.
4. if that would be possible, i would have even more reason to go for minion builds >.< but ehh, not complainin, it's a quality of life thing afterall, a little time saver as well.
5. that would explain it yes. i have one mod that allows body, boots and helmets to be reforged, another one that adds stats like: 10% increased damage while below 20 defence or increased penetration by 5 on separate pieces.
then i use another one (this one i assume) that adds attributes to items, lastly i think or thought this was related to this mod where by using thos reroll things, you can get flat crit chance, increased damage of a type or increased attack spec etc. would have been better if i tested but ehh... it does get confusing trying to suggest things from a perspective of someone who overload on mods. as i probably said before >.<... anyway.
10. right, it's good to re-experience the new stuff from a level 1 perspective. (random thrown in note: i might eventually try playing with only this mod and maybe another one like max stack that doesn't get in the way just to get more accurate information.)
15. i thought it would only have been logical if minions did apply first hit, so that makes sense.

on other notes, school starts in like 2 days from tomarrow so i won't have as much time.
[doublepost=1503259297,1503259135][/doublepost]
LIKE PATH OF EXILE!
uhh... well, in PoE they give free respecs due to massive changes and respecing afterwards usually costs a bit... so yeah, kinda irelavent what i just said.

Most of the stuff you've suggested above already got balanced further. Will upload an update (or more) during the week.

I have just enough time as my next semester starts on the 11th of September.

Interestingly enough, I haven't every played PoE. I mostly played Diablo, Torchlight, Titan Quest, stuff like that, so I have many games to base stuff on.

Most of the stuff you've suggested above already got balanced further. Will upload an update (or more) during the week.

I have just enough time as my next semester starts on the 11th of September.

Interestingly enough, I haven't every played PoE. I mostly played Diablo, Torchlight, Titan Quest, stuff like that, so I have many games to base stuff on.
you should try PoE someday, it has gotten slightly more beginner friendly with 3.0 and less repetetive with difficulties removed and more acts added.
the game gets more interesting as you move along, so don't just throw it away after the first few acts. after like 10 maps run or so i would recommand making up your decision and that will take a couple days to get there depending on how fast you run along.
[doublepost=1503296757,1503296707][/doublepost]
Never heard of the dual wield mod, nice.
You won't have to do such things in the next update, though.
i LOVE duel wield mod, i can't believe i never used it earlier, it makes the game more interactive if not easier.
there are downsides ofcourse

you should try PoE someday, it has gotten slightly more beginner friendly with 3.0 and less repetetive with difficulties removed and more acts added.
the game gets more interesting as you move along, so don't just throw it away after the first few acts. after like 10 maps run or so i would recommand making up your decision and that will take a couple days to get there depending on how fast you run along.
[doublepost=1503296757,1503296707][/doublepost]
i LOVE duel wield mod, i can't believe i never used it earlier, it makes the game more interactive if not easier.
there are downsides ofcourse

Will give it a try someday for sure.

A little patch is scheduled for today's evening.
Changes include:
- More mana per level
- More HP per level
- Removed intellect
- Spirit increases max minions on every 50th point
- Replaced Movement Speed with Max Run Speed (that's not capped)
- Nerfed stats on items.
- Many more.

Will give it a try someday for sure.

A little patch is scheduled for today's evening.
Changes include:
- More mana per level
- More HP per level
- Removed intellect
- Spirit increases max minions on every 50th point
- Replaced Movement Speed with Max Run Speed (that's not capped)
- Nerfed stats on items.
- Many more.
i can certainly see some inspiration from me in this. look forward to testing this.
i was wondering, if what you said earlier is true, then minions on gear most have something to do with vape loot which means that vape loot needs to have minion counts nerfed. i'm not sure tho, not at all.
[doublepost=1503331264,1503331142][/doublepost]by "max run speed" do you get movement speed as well as max movement speed?

i can certainly see some inspiration from me in this. look forward to testing this.
i was wondering, if what you said earlier is true, then minions on gear most have something to do with vape loot which means that vape loot needs to have minion counts nerfed. i'm not sure tho, not at all.
[doublepost=1503331264,1503331142][/doublepost]by "max run speed" do you get movement speed as well as max movement speed?

In Vape Loot, max minions can only be 1. Also, I'll reduce the chance it can occur on items.

No, you won't get base movement speed. It must be acquired with items, you'll easily cap on it with them already.
To understand max run speed, see hermes boots. It doesn't increase your movement speed at all, it increases your max run speed (the speed to which you can accelerate at most).
The reason for using this stat instead is simple: it can be modified directly and fixes the cap problem with movement speed.

Another possible change I'll introduce some time later:
Merge melee and ranged damage as physical damage which can be got from Strength. Magic damage remains as it is. Ranged/Melee critical transforms into physical critical and would be obtained from Dexterity. It could cause some builds to be OP, so some tweaking would be critical.

v0.3.1 is up.

v0.3.1:
- Removed Intellect due to being useless.
- Vitality now gives 1 defense for every 5th point.
- Replaced Movement Speed as a chaos bonus with max run speed.
- Added respeccing. It can be done with the Vaper's Globe, sold by the merchant for 1 platinum.
- Slightly increased mana given for every level.
- Increased life given for every level by a minimal amount.
- Balanced item stat bonuses.
- Spirit now increases max minions by one for every 50th point instead of 100.

Idea: maybe increase life by 5 per level atleast?
Lower the skill/level up requirements?
The only thing that is useful for upgrading is vitality, which i feel is kind of messed up.

i'm legit unsure what to think >.< i mean, if you want to feel powerful at endgame, this is a good mod for that and you won't be able to feel that power very early on which is the way it should be, so i suppose the change to spirit and added defence from vitality is not completely unacceptable.
ehh... i'm not an expert, i seen a lot of overpowered mods and terraria is all over the place when it comes to mods

i'm legit unsure what to think >.< i mean, if you want to feel powerful at endgame, this is a good mod for that and you won't be able to feel that power very early on which is the way it should be, so i suppose the change to spirit and added defence from vitality is not completely unacceptable.
ehh... i'm not an expert, i seen a lot of overpowered mods and terraria is all over the place when it comes to mods

Exactly, I see a lot of mods that simply makes you overpowered for almost not doing anything for it.
With this mod I try to carefully adjust balance so you won't rush the whole game too fast.

Yes, currently the game is kinda all over the place when a lot of mods are added in but that's because TML is young and current mods weren't made to be easily ran well with eachother.
A good example is Minecraft - Of course there are much more mods for it, but they've been around for a longer period and mods, as well as technology, developed to a point where the whole system runs flawlessly and only needs minor adjustments. Also, people tend to use modpacks which are carefully adjusted to make the mods co-operate well.
TML won't avoid this: it will happen over time. It's just that it's quite young.

Last edited:
Having a lot of fun with this build, just a few things.

Execution is actually bad for you if your crit chance goes over the % damage increase. Since crits are for x2, 1% crit = 1% damage as far as dps is concerned. You can easily break 40% crit.

Vitality gives WAY too much defense. I broke 100 pre-hardmode and wasn't even trying that hard. (I did take the skill that gives defense for nerfed damage) I would consider reducing it and adding a soft cap or diminishing returns. Max health also gets pretty bonkers fairly fast. Again I'm a fan of soft caps or using a curve with diminishing returns.

Enemies that fire projectiles give unbalanced amounts of xp for 2 reasons imo. First, enemies that shoot projectiles tend to be more annoying/deadlier, but have less hp. This isn't factored into the xp equation and results in low xp totals for things that are actually kind of threatening. On the other hand, projectiles you can destroy give way too MUCH xp. For example, projectiles from goblin casters in hardmode give over 1k xp, while the casters themselves give 100 or so.

I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I don't think bloodlust stacks with regen potions. Might be the buff isn't showing for me but is working.

Agility gives pretty crazy amounts of melee haste. I'm in early hardmode and have like 230% speed. Maybe if it gave a little run speed or haste for other weapon types in exchange for lower overall haste.

The unique quality armors are fun, but I think the amount of stats on them vs the amount you get from leveling needs to be looked at. It sort of feels like I can put my points anywhere since I can get a bajillion points from armor sets and accessories. Its possible you should get more points from leveling and fewer from gear. After you get gold armor off of EoC you are suddenly godlike, but before that life kind of sucks.

If I notice anything else I'll post more. Great work so far on this.

Back
Top Bottom