Wacky NPCs Mod

@Flor3nce2456 Thank you for sharing your opinion!

Let's see...

1.) new NPCs

1. gravedigger. I agree that being able to buy gravestones is barely necessary, so that wouldn't be a very important NPC. another idea for him though, what if he would sell all the other gadgets too, other NPCs sell when housed in a graveyard biome? so, like the painter's special paintings, the black, goth/funeral/whatever themed clothes from the clothier, etc.?
that is, only if he is housed in a graveyard biome AND said NPCs is also presents somewhere in that world, so no paintings without painter, and no echo blocks without cyborg, etc. this could alleviate the trouble to move NPCs back and forth for their special gadgets.
he could look like Dampé from Zelda games or something.

2. alraune (or whatever). yeah, I read the wikipedia article, and yeah... I understand what you mean. but, generally isn't that something part about mandrake root to begin with? anyway, I dunno is most people associate it with such things, rather than just a plant-humanoid.
I thought it could work in some way, like (I would need help with that, how to code though)
After queen bee is down, if the professor is housed in the jungle, he would sell an item like "alraune map" or something with a tooltip like "a map to a mysterious creature. drawn by the professor, so it's hard to decipher" and, if player has that in inventory and wenture down the underground jungle, has a chance to encounter something that looks like a plantera's bulb, (but the fact that it can be found pre-hardmode too would tell it's obviously not that) that could be purified in a similar fashion as the tortured soul or something, and then said creature moves in, and sells fruits or dunno.
point being, like, making a small adventure sub-quest to find this NPC, to partly balance out that it would allow access to fruits, which are rare.

but, it could be something else too instead, like an elf or something (not the Santa's helper sorta elves, but the tall and pretty forest elves with large pointy ears.) There's no elf town NPC at all in any mods I think? Even though they are popular in fantasy. I just wonder should it be a beautiful elf girl, or a handsome elf boy...? or perhaps a cute elf boy or a handsome elf girl? XD
If it's an elf, what way would it be good to have him/her move in? to make it balanced enough.
I also wonder about his relationship with the demolitionist XD because dwarves and elves don't like each other much? but they can make a great team and great friends too. yay for Legolas x Gimli bromance? XD

3. waitress. now that you mention research, indeed, that is certainly something to mind too. where such an NPC could be quite helpful I guess. these foodstuff are waaaay too rare drops from monsters. there just should be some way to balance it out. How...?
Also, what looks would fit her? a maid dress? a china dress? a retro diner uniform? or...?

2. shop stocks

1. I know that. But besides that one special seed, both can't be aquired in the same world, I think. which is very odd. The crimson fangirl sells flesh cloning vat (and meat grinder too, I think) in hardmode, it's simply that the corruption fangirl should sell its corruption counterpart too! (which she didn't do before, because decay chamber didn't existed before)
- to begin with the two fangirls could come in really handy to fill out the bestiary too, because they sell all the gadgets to create artifical evil biomes relatively easily.

2. yes. I don't mind fishing that much now, because the angler actually gives better stuff usually, but it still took me like 75-100 crates in hardmode to get enough for an anvill and forge to be able to gear up a bit better prior to smashing any altars.

3. what you mean by special decoration?

+1. aaah, and, considering the professors love for interesting insects... yay, Prismatic Lacewing! yes, he should sell that too, from the time they start spawning (post Plantera or something), similarly how he sells truffle worms too. I have a feeling that many would appreciate that a lot. I still didn't seen any of those insects, they're just so rare XD

3. Happiness

1. Yeah. I mostly thought the forest, because it's the most generic biome, and they could be easily housed as neighbors, because they like each other. but by similarities with their favorite biome, the graveyard also would fit Corru, because of just how "dead" the corruption is. The jungle could fit Crim too, indeed, because both are quite full of life XD

2. pickloc and arms dealer. that actually could be interesting! I didn't thought about that, but they could like each other as neighbors. something like old friends, sounds nice.

3. I thought scam artist would like the forest, simply because the merchant likes that too. plus, it's probably a better place to attract customers.

I'm actually not quite sure about her backstory XD. The merchant is one of my favorite vanilla town NPCs (maybe because he's the first to move in usually, and he has a nice personality and quite funny too, he's alltogether a very loveable character, so that's maybe part why I thought to do something regarding him. I also thought that lost girls are very intriguing, but due to them being naked, no mods will use them. so, I just used a lost girl as base and designed an outfit for her. and then, there is a painting called "the father of someone" (I know, it's a reference to a real life painting, whatever) featuring the merchant. so... he's the father of someone? cool, but... who is that someone? and then I thought... oh, yes, let's do that! Let's make the scam artist her daughter. she learned most things from him, just she takes it to a bit extreme levels XD

But, as for the actual backstory? Who knows, maybe the old con man used to be an adventurer himself back in the days. And maybe not all nymphs are inherently hostile or don't know.
Also, I think there are several nymphs in the world, so I don't think the scam artist and the guide would have the same mother XD I'm not quite sure where is that lore from though, that the guide is the child of a nymph and the moon lord XD lol

By the way, I wonder, looking at the zoologist's unique behavior of changing to a werefox at full moons and blood moons, if the scam artist should do something like that too, turning into a nymph at certain times? (naturally, she would stay clothed, just her skin turns green, and maybe she says some less friendly quotes. she generally would never hurt the player though. I guess her love for money is stronger than her nymph instincts or whatever.

4. Yes, the professor's outfit was designed after that archetype, similar to archeologist or something trainers in Pokémon series, and other similar characters, like professor Porter from Tarzan. His two main areas are obviously the desert and the jungle where he fits in well. I dunno if he would hate the forest, it might be well-researched, but it offers a wide variety of insects still, he seems to love to collect. if there is a biome he might would hate it might be the snow, because he's not quite dressed for that, and because of the lack of bugs. XD I think he originally had some quotes for when he's in the snow like "turn on the heater please... what?! what you mean you don't have one?!" and such, but those might been removed, since there was no reason to house him in the snow. now... are there snow biome crates? then he can be housed there too, but he would probably hate that. "achoo! ah... what... my coat? I think I left it at home agai... ooh, look, shiny!"

4 Guards and civilans

1. Yes! Given guards can be aquired easily, you could have them giving a handy little buff for most areas you want to have them. and it makes some sense too, like how instead of the whole would being undiscovered, unguarded wildreness, the king sends his guards to tame the area so towns are well protected, and roads can be traveled safer. or various kings/lords, etc. both to protect towns and cities, and important routes. Fear not, traveling merchant, the trade routes are guarded too. Just mind if some adventurer wants a fancy feathered hat...

2. Yes, I know that. I have no idea how that works code-wise, but that was the basic idea why I thought it could work. and it would be probably something quite preferable. and this would also render civilians most likely placed in towns and not as much randomly on the roadside where they belong a bit less. but players are still free to place them anywhere for deco.

3. dunno. maybe. that's why I'm asking for opinions.

---------------

Thank you very much. it's very helpful to brainstorm about these things! If you have ideas for looks of guards, or maybe even sprites too, please do share those too!

And, yes, thank you! You too, take care, and stay safe!

I thought it could help imagining them, brainstorming and stuff, so I made some concept sprites or something for these new NPC ideas.
(by the way, I remembered there was an alraune enemy in a biome suggestion, the Gully. that looks cute too, and I think does nothing with whatever the origin of alraune is, or whatever. But I thought to try going for an elf then.
on a side note, there are soooo many wonderful biome concepts that never made into vanilla, and no mods tried to pick them up either.)

so...

View attachment 277232

some sort of concepts, how I thought these NPCs might would look like. but not sure how useful/important they would be. as something like a rule of thumb for NPCs, I try to follow that, to not add useless town NPCs, because if they take up a housing, they ought to be at least somewhat useful. some players just love NPCs, but some aren't very interested in the characters themselves, just what benefits they provide, so... yeah, only should add NPCs who do useful things (in these cases, sell useful, difficult to acquire items. of course, quest giving, etc. NPCs would be absolutely amazing too, but no idea how to make such)

So...
number one here is the gravedigger. if you say gravedigger, it's somehow reminds me of Dampé first. So, I thought to try something somewhat similar. So... I took a Fritz, modified him slightly and gave him a gravedigger's shovel.
Still wondering whether this NPC would be useful or not. like, if he would sell other gadgets too, other NPCs sell when they're in the graveyard biome...?

number two is an elf. he has long blonde hair, pointy ears and a handsome face. would he sell fruits then? or other things too...? I wonder what.

number 3 is the waitress. with a slightly modified maid uniform, this girl waltzes around the tables of the restaurant, offering some rare (and dunno, less rare?) delicacies to guests.

They all bring up tons of questions, like, would these NPCs be useful? what would be their conditions to move in? what exactly they would sell? when? and at what price? how to make them balanced...?

@Flor3nce2456

Scattered Thoughts in no Particular Order:

I hadn't considered the gravedigger would sell the other things that NPCs sell while in a graveyard biome. Yeah, moving NPCs around can be annoying. In that case, seems like they might fit in just fine. They may also sell Flesh and Lesion blocks, along with the meat grinder, just in case Corru and Crim's Inventory is getting a bit full.

There are Snow Biome crates! Also Oasis (Desert) Crates, and a whole bunch more! The wiki page on crates has been updated so you can see all of them there.

Redigit said himself on the Terraria Discord That the guide is the Wall of Flesh and he is the child of the Nymph and Moon Lord.

The Con Artist becoming more aggressive and turning greenish during a Blood moon sounds very interesting and not something I had considered. Since it may be hard to notice the color change during a blood moon, perhaps she could also transform during a New Moon? (No moon visible)

Those NPC Sprites are looking good! Maybe make the elf a Lady? Other than that, the concepts look and sound great!

I'd say just use the new goblin sprites and such.

Other than that, no other new thoughts from my end. Most of what you've said sounds good.

Don't let other people pressure you into adding them to your credits.

@Flor3nce2456
Yeah, having the gravedigger sell those things could be somewhat helpful, I guess.
I think though Crim sells meat grinder now too, and because they sell crimstone and ebonstone, making flesh and lesion blocks would be easy.

Yup, professor could sell all the crates when he's in a certain biome theyre associated with.

I remember seeing somewhere that the guide is the wall of flesh, but don't remember the other info. would there be just one nymph though? I consider them to be something like a very rare type of monster.

Yes, scam artist could do that maybe in the same fashion as the zoologist does.

I probably will tinker around with the sprites more, but, if I end up changing the elf, I could add this sprite as a stationary civilian anyway.

Yeah, I will add new goblins, etc. I just dunno if I should just update the current ones, or leave these be and add the new ones too...

Also... quotes and stuff... what about these new NPC ideas, what sort of things they would say? I'm think about it, but if you have ideas, I would be curious to hear them.

@Flor3nce2456
Yeah, having the gravedigger sell those things could be somewhat helpful, I guess.
I think though Crim sells meat grinder now too, and because they sell crimstone and ebonstone, making flesh and lesion blocks would be easy.

Yup, professor could sell all the crates when he's in a certain biome theyre associated with.

I remember seeing somewhere that the guide is the wall of flesh, but don't remember the other info. would there be just one nymph though? I consider them to be something like a very rare type of monster.

Yes, scam artist could do that maybe in the same fashion as the zoologist does.

I probably will tinker around with the sprites more, but, if I end up changing the elf, I could add this sprite as a stationary civilian anyway.

Yeah, I will add new goblins, etc. I just dunno if I should just update the current ones, or leave these be and add the new ones too...

Also... quotes and stuff... what about these new NPC ideas, what sort of things they would say? I'm think about it, but if you have ideas, I would be curious to hear them.

Just update the old goblins, no need for ancient goblins. I doubt anyone would want them anyways.

For the Gravedigger, I was thinking of the super helpful "Igor" streotype. They always refer to you as "Master" (If player is male) or "Mistress" (If player is female) and ask how your mad science experiments are coming along and offer to dig up more bodies for you among other things. 'Igor' would probably be on their list of names.

I also think Corruptors or some other corruption enemy now drops the meat grinder which you use to turn ebonstone into lesion blocks. It would probably be redundant for both Corru and Crim to sell the meat grinder, so having the gravedigger sell it would be fine.

For the Waiter, think the "Flo" stereotype from classic diners. For a modern take on this, watch any commercial by Progressive featuring their "Flo" character. Naturally, I imagine 'Flo" would be a possible name. Probably as much of a gossip as the Stylist is.

No clue about the elf. I guess just highlight their Veganess, how as much as they like being with the dwarf, they can't hold down ale, etc. Maybe other California Hippie stuff. They may also be gay/lesbian, but no idea how to convey that through text only, and not sound like the Zoologist.

Okay, first off, really love the mod. Gives a lot of life to what might feel like an empty settlement otherwise, and the NPCs that are currently in are really charming and useful.

Second, I love the ideas for the new NPCs coming up. The waitress as a means to acquire the new random drop foods and the gravedigger as a Graveyard-specific NPC are really neat ideas!

Third, if I might be so bold as to make suggestions of my own, I had two ideas for friendly NPCs that might fit in this mod, one actually inspired by it, if you're willing to take them.

The first idea being a friendly Harpy NPC who sells things like feathers, balloons, the Sky Mill, maybe a few misc. avian-related items (like captured birds) and in hardmode, Souls of Flight. Her trigger to spawn could be either holding an item from a sky chest in your inventory or just some feathers?

The second is a pretty simple one, though one that would have a lot more functionality in 1.4 than 1.3, a Hallow Fangirl. Same general concept as the other fangirl NPCs with Hallow-related items. Her trigger item would probably just be pearlstone. Could also potentially have some stock pre-hardmode if someone manually makes a pre-hardmode Hallow in their world? But limited to the basic stuff like Pearlstone, Pearlsand, hallowed seeds, pearlwood, etc.

Okay, first off, really love the mod. Gives a lot of life to what might feel like an empty settlement otherwise, and the NPCs that are currently in are really charming and useful.

Second, I love the ideas for the new NPCs coming up. The waitress as a means to acquire the new random drop foods and the gravedigger as a Graveyard-specific NPC are really neat ideas!

Third, if I might be so bold as to make suggestions of my own, I had two ideas for friendly NPCs that might fit in this mod, one actually inspired by it, if you're willing to take them.

The first idea being a friendly Harpy NPC who sells things like feathers, balloons, the Sky Mill, maybe a few misc. avian-related items (like captured birds) and in hardmode, Souls of Flight. Her trigger to spawn could be either holding an item from a sky chest in your inventory or just some feathers?

The second is a pretty simple one, though one that would have a lot more functionality in 1.4 than 1.3, a Hallow Fangirl. Same general concept as the other fangirl NPCs with Hallow-related items. Her trigger item would probably just be pearlstone. Could also potentially have some stock pre-hardmode if someone manually makes a pre-hardmode Hallow in their world? But limited to the basic stuff like Pearlstone, Pearlsand, hallowed seeds, pearlwood, etc.
I'm happy you love the mod!

If you use them in builds, I would love to see some screenshots too!

As for your NPC suggestions,

1. Harpy (or something similar) - I like the idea! You can usually get most sky gadgets from a single world, but sometimes not. And you could only be able to craft bundle of balloons if you fish a lot, or visit several worlds. plus, the sky mill is kind of random, there wasn't any in the world I'm playing for this playthrough, so I checked out a few other to find one.
I do think alchemist NPCs' tinkerer offers all the sky chest tinker loot for sale (balloon, horseshoe) but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if there are NPCs selling a sky mill? or does the architect sells it? I don't remember...

Plus harpies look cute! But, I don't know how the AI of this NPC would work? I wonder if you can have things like friendly NPCs with shops, who can fly? Or would this NPC just walk around like others?

2. hallow fangirl. this is a complicated one. this is the most obvious and logical NPC idea missing from the group of these NPCs. But - theoretically - hallow will be always present in a world what just entered hardmode. theoretically... because I think most of us seen worlds before where hallow generated in odd places, such as right through the jungle, meaning minimal hallow would be present. And then you have to create an artifical hallow or two. so, yes, this is somewhat a reason for a hallow fangirl to be useful, but in the same regards, getting pearlstone in a world that barely have hallow is not necessarily that easy (of course, I'm nearly sure even if it generated through the jungle there will be pearlstone deposits, but getting them might be not very easy early hardmode. the jungle is quite a dangerous place afterall...

so, I'm kinda struggling with this idea. her role would just simply help with building artifical hallow and aquire hallow drops then?
(I mean, that is pretty much what the other two fangirls do, but out of crimson and corruption, only one will be present in a world at start (not counting special seeds generated ones)?
things like pixie dust or unicorn horn aren't quite rare either, once you have a surface hallow. there are a few rare drops like blessed apple and rod of discord(!), so, she could be useful with some stuff (but, how to make that balanced?)
but the hallow has no alternatives, unlike how there is crimson as an alt for corruption. If there would be hallow alts, like The Cyber - really, that biome suggestion is one of my favorites! and it's so old too, it's odd and sad it didn't got into vanilla or any mods... - so, if there would be alternatives, then both should get a fangirl in a similar fashion as Corru & Crim are in the mod. because then there would be need of ways to be able to get all drops, and be able to create artifical biomes - now it's even more important, for bestiary completing reasons!

But sadly there's no Cyber biome... so... would a Hallow fangirl work and be necessary, even though she, and her favorite biome has no alt. biome like how the evil biomes do?

I feel like adding a hallow girl is a good idea. I have personally experienced a world that generated no hallow on the surface and even after finding a part of the hallow caves I still had no access to hallow desert which made it imposible to get some weapons.

I feel like adding a hallow girl is a good idea. I have personally experienced a world that generated no hallow on the surface and even after finding a part of the hallow caves I still had no access to hallow desert which made it imposible to get some weapons.
Yes, I do encountered worlds like that too. In that regards, she would be useful. But I wonder if it's useful to add her without the hallow having an alt.
Why is there no Cyber biome...........? awww...
If there would be, it would be good to have fangirls to both.

Well, that aside, I wonder what sort of looks and personality would work for the hallow fangirl, if I add a character like that?

Some NPC sugestions

1. Sculptor - A lot of statues are only findable underground so if you want some statue as a decoration or to make a spawner he could help you avoid having to look them.

2. The Miner - He would sell ores that are unavaiable in your world and some mining related items like torches and minetracks. Probably not really usefull but I think it would be nice to have a way to get them other then crates, slimes and the extractinator.

Last edited:
Some NPC sugestions

1. Sculptor - A lot of statues are only findable underground so if you want some statue as a decoration or to make a spawner he could help you avoid having to look them.

2. The Miner - He would sell ores that are unavaiable in your world and some mining related items like torches and minetracks. Probably not really usefull but I think it would be nice to have a way to get these ores other then crates, slimes and the extractinator.
I did thought about the sculptor idea before. It makes lots of sense, and could be useful, but there are tons of statues in the game, which would make it quite difficult, how to get to work. probably would work if said NPC has more shops than one though, similar to some in Alchemist NPCs mod. I don't know how to code such though, so I would need help with that.

the miner like that doesn't really sounds necessary, or, like, I think several other mods have something similar, such as Thorium's blacksmith, I think he sells ores (or bars?) in hardmode. torches are sold by merchant too, and minecart tracks are easy to craft, and are very cheap too. so, don't know how necessary it would be.

My main problem is, we should keep the number of NPCs at a normal level, I love town NPCs, but if there are too many, it can be a pain to build houses for all.
The idea of the elf (selling fruits) might could be just merged into the waitress, so she would sell fruits too, and foodstuff too. alltogether that's more than 40 items, so it wouldn't fit into her shop, but if someone helps how to get it work that her shop changes depending on moon phase, she could hold a lot more than 40 items altogether.
(the same could be aplied to sculptor too)

I've never made my own mods so I don't know what's possible but you could make it so that the sculptor gets ''inspired'' to make statues based on where he is or what's happening. I've tried making a list with that in mind using only statues that you can't make and it shouldn't go over shop limit.

Attachments

• Sculptor.txt
    646 bytes · Views: 98
I've never made my own mods so I don't know what's possible but you could make it so that the sculptor gets ''inspired'' to make statues based on where he is or what's happening. I've tried making a list with that in mind using only statues that you can't make and it shouldn't go over shop limit.
That's pretty interesting. And, since I did similar before, with the professor's shop, which is also biome dependant, I should be able to code that, probably.

How to make it balanced though...? some statues are very valuable, while others serve only decoration purposes.

I think that unlocking all skeleton statue after killing skeletron would be a good idea
skeletons aren't the main issue here.
- statues like jellyfish and granite golem drops things that worths decent money (or was it changed in 1.4?)
- heart, star, and bomb statues are extremely useful!
- there are statues that spawn hardmode creatures, and having access to them pre-hardmode can be quite handy, for bestiary (they won't drop anything pre-hardmode)
- and speaking of statues, there's also the bast statue...

skeletons aren't the main issue here.
- statues like jellyfish and granite golem drops things that worths decent money (or was it changed in 1.4?)
- heart, star, and bomb statues are extremely useful!
- there are statues that spawn hardmode creatures, and having access to them pre-hardmode can be quite handy, for bestiary (they won't drop anything pre-hardmode)
- and speaking of statues, there's also the bast statue...

According to wiki ''all drop rates reduced by a factor of 40'' for jellyfish and golem ''by a factor of ?'' so they shouldn't be as broken but if you are still worried they could be moved to hardmode or skeletron. I think it would be fine to unlock hardmode statues when you enter it. Heart, star and bomb statues could be behind mechanical bosses. Bast statue could be unlocked after killing golem

According to wiki ''all drop rates reduced by a factor of 40'' for jellyfish and golem ''by a factor of ?'' so they shouldn't be as broken but if you are still worried they could be moved to hardmode or skeletron. I think it would be fine to unlock hardmode statues when you enter it. Heart, star and bomb statues could be behind mechanical bosses. Bast statue could be unlocked after killing golem
Let's not forget, that you can't exactly get them to function prior to skeletron anyway, because you don't have the mechanics yet.
So, most of them really gets useful only after skeletron, and, several would be very useful pre-hardmode, but, there's not quite any other vanilla boss between skeletron and WoF.
You can technically aquire (almost) all of them anyway, if you have a lucky worldgen.

I found a heart statues in this playthrough somewhere underground, which I set up post-skeletron near my town, and it come in extremely handy against pirates, the twins, the destroyer, and a few other bosses later too.

So, locking it behind mech bosses... I dunno... there is also that if you can aquire an infinite amount of them, you could just set up them everwhere where you fight bosses, and that could be a huge help. but, like... 1 heart statues is super useful. 2 too, but at some point, it would be game-breaking level...

Most other statues matter only a little, but heart, and star statues are extremely OP, especially in large numbers. but, if you lock them behind things, then, that kinda reduces the usefulness of the whole sculptor NPC...
It would be nice to balance it some way. such as these are given as a gift at times, like the slice of cake from party girl, or uses a special currency, like the tavernkeep's items.
or would it balance it out, if make them obscenely expensive? like 1 plat, or 5 plat or something for a heart statue. that way, you most likely couldn't buy lots of them early game.

I didn't read everything so I don't know if this was mentioned or not. If you are looking to keep the decorative NPCs from taking up official NPCs housing spots you could still make them NPCs. Just copy coding from the Bone Merchant or Traveling Merchant so that they stick around town but do not take up a housing slot. If there is a time expiration variable, you could eliminate it or set it to infinite so they don't despawn. Only challenge may be is keeping them from being part of an event if they are linked to one. Don't know I've never looked into these guys before at that level.

They would be friendly to NPCs/player, count towards the town size, and attack hostile creatures.

Back
Top Bottom