Wii U Update and 3DS News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing that makes me sad is the fact that considering what we know and hear about the NX, these are the only instances that Terraria's ever gonna be on a dual-screen system, and neither systems are able to support 1.3. They really are the most comfortable in their control schemes IMO, I wish it were possible to play the newer updates on a dual-screen platform.

The main thing that makes me sad is the fact that considering what we know and hear about the NX, these are the only instances that Terraria's ever gonna be on a dual-screen system, and neither systems are able to support 1.3. They really are the most comfortable in their control schemes IMO, I wish it were possible to play the newer updates on a dual-screen platform.
Same :(

Is the "New 3DS" technically capable of managing all 1.3 stuff?

well technically, the New 3DS can handle double of what the regular 3DS can. not sure if that's enough for all of 1.3.

but it all comes down to the developers not having the budget or time to optimize the code and keep working on it, they probably can only work on smaller updates

There is no way that N3DS will handle 1.3. "Twice the power" here is still only 256MB of RAM. For contrast, the current MOBILE version is starting to crack unless you have at least 1GB.

That said, I'm sure Deanzor and team will take it as far as it can go....

There is no way that N3DS will handle 1.3. "Twice the power" here is still only 256MB of RAM. For contrast, the current MOBILE version is starting to crack unless you have at least 1GB.

That said, I'm sure Deanzor and team will take it as far as it can go....

I was just looking it up and apparently the regular 3DS has these specs:
2 CPU cores, 1 used for the system
128MB ram, 64 used for the system

and the New 3DS:
4 CPU cores, 1 used for the system
256MB ram, 64 for the system

so technically it has triple the usable ram as the regular 3DS model and triple the processing power, is this correct? and the CPU cores are also clocked higher

just asking because it's hard to find 100% accurate info about it.

The rate-limiting factor for older/less powerful consoles and Terraria right now is RAM. Even if 100% of the RAM was dedicated to the game, its still well below even what phones require for 1.2.4 content, much less 1.3. Right now, N3DS benefits greatly from this RAM in the form of FPS performance. Trust me, my two kids have new 3DS and I have an Old. Its VERY noticeable when we play MP together.

To answer your question - the specs are indeed hard to come by. If we take Wiki at its word:

N3DS
  • 256MB
  • 64MB dedicated to OS
O3DS
  • 128MB
  • 32MB dedicated to OS

even so I believe the way the 3DS version is a mashup of several different versions is very nice. It's a sort of "We take the best of all versions and mash them together" kind of compilation which works well. I like that it has key aspects of 1.2.4 as well as most of 1.2 with hints of 1.3. they took the best of the best and put it all into one version. I rather that approach to this version than the standard go until we drop mentality. base being 1.2 with core aspects of 1.2.4 and 1.3 makes it it's own unique version.
[doublepost=1474069324,1474068778][/doublepost]I think it'd be nice to see more 1.3 in the mix. Not everything but whatever they can do even if it's just the music and background images for the Underworld. I'd like to see a Nintendo exclusive pet as well. maybe a Bob-omb or a Koopa-troopa in reference to Super Mario, A Metroid from the creatures namesake that floats around you. Hell we already have the light pet that resembles Navi from LOZ

even so I believe the way the 3DS version is a mashup of several different versions is very nice. It's a sort of "We take the best of all versions and mash them together" kind of compilation which works well. I like that it has key aspects of 1.2.4 as well as most of 1.2 with hints of 1.3. they took the best of the best and put it all into one version. I rather that approach to this version than the standard go until we drop mentality. base being 1.2 with core aspects of 1.2.4 and 1.3 makes it it's own unique version.
[doublepost=1474069324,1474068778][/doublepost]I think it'd be nice to see more 1.3 in the mix. Not everything but whatever they can do even if it's just the music and background images for the Underworld. I'd like to see a Nintendo exclusive pet as well. maybe a Bob-omb or a Koopa-troopa in reference to Super Mario, A Metroid from the creatures namesake that floats around you. Hell we already have the light pet that resembles Navi from LOZ
I just wanner play...
Maybe few small things ^^

As a pet, bob-omb Sounds cool xD
But for a 3ds i would like a pokemon (pikachu for example) or something from zelda Games :)

If anything from 1.3 was added it'd be small things like quality of life changes, music, maybe yo-yos and/or self defending NPC's which I'd love to see. I just hope that some little aspects of 1.3 beyond small mechanics make it for the 3DS version. I'm sure some 1.3 content would bring in the peeps. especially yoyos. The only yoyo not obtainable being the Dev yoyos and the Terrarian since the Moon Lord would be impossible to implement. However they could replace it with a Yoyo from Ocram since he is in the 3DS version. All this is theory though. I'm not sure how much RAM the yoyos require.

How is a content-complete version that is inclusive of 1.2.4 Terraria "dead"?

If it requires constant updates in order for a game to be "alive", I had better go bury 99% of my game library in the back yard. That's gonna be a huge tombstone. :p

1.2.4 is pretty impressive. I think what people are getting at is 1.3 is the definitive experience for all Terraria players and most don't have the cash to shell out for a $400 game system so they could play 1.3 or some don't have a PC capable of running 1.3 in stable fashion. I can play it but my graphics card is going out so I'm saving for a new laptop.

There is a large chasm between that and "well, it's a dead game." I get and understand what you are saying - I don't get th hyperbolic rhetoric from some.

Having played Terraria since 2011, every version was "the definitive version" - but it's always been a complete - and completely fun - game.

Just sayin'. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom