Casual Windows 8 Vs. Windows 7

Which is best? Windows 7 or Windows 8?

• Total voters
If "Work" includes programming using Visual Studio, you'll probably want to go with 8. My understanding is that the newer MS development stuff won't run on 7. Otherwise, I'd decide based on other specs and features of the devices you're choosing from.
WHAT?
( I didn't know that.)
Well, maybe things like Microsoft.Xna.Framework.input.touch won't run.
I don't like 8 because it has that STUPID icon screen instead of a start menu.
That's fine on a hybrid laptop, but OH NO PLEASE NO on a desktop.

WHAT?
( I didn't know that.)
Well, maybe things like Microsoft.Xna.Framework.input.touch won't run.
I don't like 8 because it has that STUPID icon screen instead of a start menu.
That's fine on a hybrid laptop, but OH NO PLEASE NO on a desktop.
What's wrong with it?
IMO, it feels better than the start menu on 7.
You can start up programs as soon as you log on, which is so useful, I use it always.
You can have all your games, programs, internet browsers and other such stuff all fitting on one screen, and this is accessed simply by clicking a button in the bottom corner of your screen, regardless of what you are doing. It's amazing.

That's what the desktop is for.
Anyways, I just pin all the stuff I use to the taskbar.
In order to access the desktop, though, you need to minimise all your programs. Which is normally a lot.
But then you have no room to quickly access all the programs you have open :-/

I do not understand the logic.
Still, it was designed as a tablet/computer OS.
I probably will prefer Win.10 when it comes out.
If it was designed as both a tablet and computer OS, it's more versatile than Windows 7.
I probably will too.
Let's just draw up a conclusion that Windows 10 will probably be better than both of them.
Wait... where's windows 9?

Exactly. And it takes a long time to minimise them all, so the start menu is more convenient.
My Win7 and Win8 boxes are both set up so clicking a narrow, button-like strip at the right end of the taskbar will toggle between 1) minimizing all windows and 2) restoring or re-maximizing all windows that weren't minimized when I first clicked it. I can't recall whether this is default behavior or not.

In addition, when the mouse hovers over the same taskbar "button" in Win8, the windows become almost entirely transparent, showing only their outlines. I think Win7 includes an option to turn on a feature that does the same thing ("Aero peek"). This is useful if you have a Web page or a CDF channel for a desktop. Not much point in seeing a static image that you already know.

Last edited:
Everyone hated either Vista or XP when it first came out (can't remember which).
History is repeating itself.
It was Vista that was disliked. They're on a cycle, where every other os is good, and the ones between them are bad. 95/98 good, ME was bad, XP was good, Vista was bad, 7 was good, 8 was "bad"(too different because people don't like change), and therefore 10 should be good.

Correction: CDF channels are no longer in Windows. I never heard of anyone who used them anyway.

My Win7 and Win8 boxes are both set up so clicking a narrow, button-like strip at the right end of the taskbar will toggle between 1) minimizing all windows and 2) restoring or re-maximizing all windows that weren't minimized when I first clicked it. I can't recall whether this is default behavior or not.
Yeah, they always do that.

since im more familiar with windows 7 im going to go with that. i highly doubt ive ever used or been on a computer that has windows 8

Windows 7.

I think those who praise Windows 8 for its easier start menu never heard of taskbar menus. I have 180+ games and they're all accessed easily from my desktop, with none of the slowdown caused by icon overload.

Oh, of course, it takes about two seconds whenever I install something to move its icon to a taskbar menu, so Windows 8 may still be the best choice for the lazy.

Reactions: Azu
As stated by people above, Windows 7 is far easier to use and 8 overcomplicates things. If you are going to use Virtual Studio or create things, 8 would be better as it is proven to perform slightly better that Windows 7. Overall, it depends on what you are used to. I recently built my 2nd computer and installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I find it easier to use and the weird UI of Windows 8 seems more fit for their phones.

With Windows 10 around the corner, we will need to wait and see what they bring us next.

I'm using 8.1 and I've had problems with it, over the span of two laptops. And I can't go back to 7 as my laptop won't let me install it. So yeah, 7 is better.

Back
Top Bottom