Casual Windows 8 Vs. Windows 7

Which is best? Windows 7 or Windows 8?

• Total voters
I will go with W8, i runs faster than seven, even though i have a crappy pc, and i never had problems with it, which i used to have while using W7. Also, since this is a shared pc, the new start menu makes my parents life easier when it comes to do stuff.

For 5 weeks after getting my first windows 8 laptop for couldn't figure out how to even open up the control panel so windows 7 its simple and understandable also because my windows 8 laptops give me forced adds for farmville I have many anti viruses and its just my tosiba laptop so windows 7 forever on computers its bad but it definitely work on phones because it makes life easier

Windows 8 is a mobile OS. It's good for things like tablets. For laptops and desktops it's horrible, and I much prefer to stick with 7 until something better comes out.

When you have to go to Google on another computer in order to search "how to Google things in Windows 8" there is probably a problem. Just sayin'...

Windows 8 is for developers. For example, Graphic Debugger in Visual Studio doesn't work properly in Windows 7.

Although I use only Windows 8, my favorite system is Windows 7.

Here's what I did: bought a Windows 8 laptop. And replaced it's OS with Windows 10 Technical Preview - it's got the snazzy look of Windows 8, with the touch and feel of it's predecessor, Windows 7.

However, if I had to pick, Windows 8, simply because I'm a developer, and it worked best for me. The only issue I had was the actual OS consuming some RAM, but hey, thats of any OS of course (Just not as power-hungry as 8 though).

EDIT: And if you get Windows 8, make sure the laptop is touchscreen. It will come in handy

Windows 8 all the way, mainly because it's faster, better, and IMHO looks better and is more convenient. As a multi-platform developer, it is the industry standard, which is another reason why I use it (and the same reason why I develop on a mac as much as I hate developing on Apple). (plus, Windows 8 cost me 15$ to upgrade to as a commercial consumer)

To answer the question about why it's called Windows 10, whoever said it's because Windows 95 will show up in search results is technically wrong. It's because most standardized programming languages for Windows (C#, Java, etc.) have a function along the lines of System.os() (varies from language to language) that returns the current operating system as a string. Because windows 92 and 95 were so similar in their infrastructure, programmers would do System.os().startsWith("Windows 9") as a boolean compare to test if certain settings needed to be disabled. Rather than going through the hassle of having the developers update the standards, Microsoft just decided to call it Windows 10 so they wouldn't have the headache of the backwards compatibility issues. @Bethany feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's why it's called Windows 10 if I remember correctly

@Bethany feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's why it's called Windows 10 if I remember correctly
Don't know, I've not heard that but it certainly could be true.

As a Perl programmer I consider laziness a virtue — but only a certain kind of laziness. To use startsWith() that way would indeed be asking for trouble. Whether MS used that in deciding what to call their next OS I couldn't say.

Back
Top Bottom