Khaios' Build Spectacle

What "class" do you prefer to play in Terraria?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sad, my builds
Capture 2016-12-11 23_25_22.png
Compared to yours.

I agree with what @Mihn said completely! Everyone has their own build style and skill levels. I happen to like your build ^.^

Haha, I'm definitely not the master of anything, but I'm always happy to share what I've learned :D

How do you get that 3d effect, because I tried
Capture 2016-12-14 21_26_01.png
it, but i get this

How do you get that 3d effect, because I tried it, but i get this

For the most part, when I'm trying to build something into the background, I try to use lighter shades for foreground objects, and darker ones for background objects. Lighting and shading has an important job in making a build feel multi-dimensional, when used in a 2D plane, but admittedly, I try to let this just happen naturally, and I usually don't put too much thought into how it comes out.

Since I prefer my builds to be playable in-game, I almost always actuate background builds, which can sometimes mean the need to paint the actuated blocks a lighter tone. For example, a gray block may look nearly black when actuated, so I will paint it white to make it look gray.

You can also use actuated blocks in front of background walls (as pillars, or something similar) to give a further feeling of depth. The background wall will be the obvious furthest point inside the room, with the exterior walls on the left and right (as well as the roof and floor) being the obvious fore-most blocks. Actuated palladium columns can instantly give a perception of depth, as they imply that there is wall (and possibly something else) hidden behind them. Outdoor decor can also add a layer of depth, by using living leaf walls to create shrubs around a build.

If you have an example of something specific that you'd like me to explain, I can give you further detail. My Background works are intended to feel primarily 2D, or maybe 2.5D. The true masters of 3D or isomorphic builds (that I've seen) are @Curt0815 @WarWar and @rulick15 They may be able to give you far better tips for that type of build than I can.

Hello everyone ^.^

Long time, no post. I've been busy working on the STW mod.
Here's a little something unrelated, though. @Jestex needed a screenshot of a tavern for something, so I built him a quick one this morning. Figured, I'd temporarily revive my NPC Showcase series, stick the Tavernkeep in there, and share it with you all, as well. Hope you enjoy this tavern :)

In case anyone is wondering, this will not be going into STW.
You can find a night screenshot in this thread's OP.

Tavernkeep Day.jpg

Hello everyone ^.^

Long time, no post. I've been busy working on the STW mod.
Here's a little something unrelated, though. @Jestex needed a screenshot of a tavern for something, so I built him a quick one this morning. Figured, I'd temporarily revive my NPC Showcase series, stick the Tavernkeep in there, and share it with you all, as well. Hope you enjoy this tavern :)

In case anyone is wondering, this will not be going into STW.
You can find a night screenshot in this thread's OP.

Love those curtains!

*Low, mysterious voice*
Hello, artist.
I've got a task for you.
I need a zeppelin for my world.
I'd like it to be based on the following image (only based; it doesn't have to be exactly like it):
Zeppelin Boss.png

Credit: @DerpoTheMagnificent

Also, the bottom part can, but doesn't have to be a house.
And please: leave the whole build with the steampunk or steampunk/futuristic feel (I love it)

*Low, mysterious voice*
Hello, artist.
I've got a task for you.
I need a zeppelin for my world.
I'd like it to be based on the following image (only based; it doesn't have to be exactly like it):
View attachment 161812
Credit: @DerpoTheMagnificent

Also, the bottom part can, but doesn't have to be a house.
And please: leave the whole build with the steampunk or steampunk/futuristic feel (I love it)
Haha >.< Sorry, but I'm not taking requests right now. I'm in the middle of a major move, and I've just been extremely busy the past month or so.

That said, I have had a steampunk zeppelin build in the works for quite a while now that I'd love to finish someday, so after the move is done (maybe in a month) I'd be happy to post a download of it, when it's finished.

Am i the only one who imagined the angler NPC home to be in a beach setting or even pond maybe, i do like how the creator did put him in another biome though. Great Work

Am i the only one who imagined the angler NPC home to be in a beach setting or even pond maybe, i do like how the creator did put him in another biome though. Great Work
I had made a few houses for him in the past, and actually had just completed a build request for a beach house of sorts, so when I decided what to build for the angler, I wanted something different from the norm. Glad you like it! ^.^

Hey folks!

I've pretty much settled in our new place in Japan (exciting!), and I've had some time to get back to working on STW! Since the port to 1.3.5 threw a slight wrench in our timetable, I have some free build time to use on updating old content. The next beta mp test will be in Sivania, so it seemed prudent for me to give that region some TLC. Here's what will greet players after they finish the tutorial (in a future update).

Collapsed Bridge.png

Howdy Terrarians!

I've been steadily continuing the Sivania region updates in STW. Some of it, I'm not ready to share (yet), but this one, I am! Going off the theme of the last build, enjoy some more ruins. It's not an obsession, I swear, they're just prominent in the updated areas ^.^

Ruins and Cave.png

these are some really wonderful builds, I enjoy the pontoon a lot and will be porting that into my world, maybe even looking at it thoroughly to produce similar launches or other small craft of its styling.
having trouble reproducing your barrels though.

Last edited:
Having finally taken the time to look through EVERY ONE of your many amazing builds, the question came to mind: how do you plan for your builds?
I have always had a difficult time following a plan and was wondering if you had any advice.
Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom