Favorite class (Including modded classes)

Favorite class?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always liked ranged and magic best, I have the most viarity and Raned in my opinion has the best playthrough.
Right after wall of flesh (pre mech) melee playthrough is hot garbage, that excalibur tho......

Summoner class used to be the weakest class with a full playthrough, now its kinda balenced
1.3 throwing class was a real joke, it even got REMOVED in 1.4 for being so weak that nobody used it lol

Last edited:
Ok your right about the Excalibur being pretty bad, and I'll be honest with you, my classes always are a bit mixed up until I'm at like Plantera:D. I just like the dart rifle and Daedalus Stormbow too much. Maybe I should consider doing a ranged playthrough?

I usually have a summon active but I've never really been a summoner. It just seems kind of boring too me, and from what I've seen, summoner armor doesn't give very much defense and I'm not that good at dodging. I've been practicing though.

Hmm class wise I don't really strictly use any one class damage types really exist so you can't boost everything and there are a number of weapons that are still useful even if you are the "wrong" class but as a whole ranger is definitely the best objectively especially on higher difficulties where bosses are tougher and even more of meat shields.

Melee is fun but the lower damage doesn't help you on HP sponge stat inflation mode (i.e. master). I do like the new Flails and Short sword mechanics though sadly both are under utilized same with spears and boomerangs late game. Personally I am bothered by how many swords and Yo-yos there are relative to other melee weapons. (Though my issue with Yo-Yos mostly has to do with the rapid rate at which they get outclassed from Skeletron to Pre Mechs. Valor is outclassed by the Cascade which drops anywhere in the lowest part of the caverns or the underworld once Skeletron is killed and all the early hardmode Yo-yos are plain outclassed by Amarok which is also by far the easiest to obtain as you can get it by killing any enemy in the snow biome, comes with frost burn one of the best DOT's and the highest stats. Hellfire might not be entirely outclassed since if you kill a few enemies down in the underworld before heading home you can get one for sure to easily obtain an Amarok to replace it. >_> This may be tangentially related but I adamantly believe Amarok should be obtained from Ice Golem only or even just the hard mode ice enemies rather than any enemy. Best option in my opinion would be Crafting something like Frost Core+Hellfire=Amarok. Personally I feel Melee was far more enjoyable back in 1.2 where you had a much better diversity of top tier weapons for the class. Sadly with exception of swords all those remain the top tier weapon of their respective class meaning they are pitifully out classed leaving endgame melee with swords and Yo-Yos+ the Solar Eruption. Zenith is irrelevant since by the time you get it the game is won so it is a glorified trophy you just happen to be able to use as a weapon. It takes no skill to use and deals absurd damage outclassing everything else in the game so yeah not worth discussing.

Magic is well it has never been the class for me. Generally weapons have more unique behavior than other classes which gives them both their own feel but makes them harder to learn to use effectively. As a mage I have to admit I never beat expert Plantera so I can't personally assess the game beyond that from a class centric meta but I would have to say it is an interesting class if a bit harder to play due to needing to get mana crystals but looks fine Plantera just has always been the hardest(1.2) boss or second hardest boss(1.3?+) to beat first time EOL does look like it might take that rank however....

Summon is interesting personally I wish they had explored the class more mechanically and made summons and sentries interact better as the OOA content really upended the distinction and the buff nature of minions makes things problematic if mixing and matching minions since they count against your buff/debuff total but no use crying over spilled milk. It does look to be viable on its own much more than before with aa reliable summon weapon option available before queen bee but I still prefer a much more hybrid approach. The largest issue I have probably comes down to the higher accessory dependence than the other "classes" it isn't a deal breaker but I typically just keep a Papyrus Scarab and Necromantic Scroll which when combined with the Bewitching Table and Summoning Potion lets you get up to 5 minions without summoner armor boosts which works especially well with the OOA armors and their large boost to summoning damage which gives you multiple sentries and minions.

Yeah they moved the Quad barrel to post Skeletron as of 1.4.1 which honestly it should have been from the start was way too strong for how easily you got it. Boomstick with silver/tungsten bullets is plenty strong and honestly is preferable over the Minishark especially on expert+ though if you have the Shark Teeth or Stinger Necklace both will work.
Regarding bows Frost arrows are honestly amazing and highly under rated for white tier ammo. Technically with the Torch god's favor they are even renewable now. that said a Platinum Bow? Though I don't think I have ever used Ore tier bows against Skeletron since I always fight the Eye of Cthulhu and then the respective evil boss(or bosses if playing drunk world) first where inevitably as always once I have the armor I craft the Demon/Tendon bow to replace the respective ore tier bow. I mean I think it would probably work if you know what you are doing but I never have a shortage of Demonite/Crimtane. And the Shield of Cthulhu and Worm Scarf/Brain of Confusion are too good to pass up and EOC, EOW/BOC are all fairly easy bosses if you know what you are doing so I can usually beat them before I even get full Platinum.
Onyx Blaster is pretty Unique with its powerful dark burst projectile I don't know why but it is just such a satisfying weapon to use even in comparison to what are supposed to be straight upgrades. You also have the Xenopopper and the Sniper rifle is fairly unique due to its very different stat focus but beyond those yeah guns are boring as hell.

I have to disagree with your assessment on bows as their versatility and with many of them featuring unique characteristics from late prehardmode on is plenty unique quite comparable to Melee weapon traits as a whole. The ranged analog to melee would have been expanding on additional ranged subtypes such as the dart weapons and the unique ammo weapons(Sand Gun, Flamethrower/Elf Melter(the latter should have done frostburn though), Stake Launcher, Jack-o-lantern Launcher Candy Corn Rifle(not as much) Nail Gun & Stynger. Rockets are a good late game example with how differently each rocket weapon is from the others mechanics wise.

The original Bone glove before it got ruined by being converted to a boring accessory that isn't worth the utility of giving up a much better accessory was a fun weapon working differently as a remnant of Thrower class with a focus on ricochets was fun sadly Relogic removed it from the game without adding the old version as a separate weapon to Skeletron's loot pool which has consequences in emphasizing the basic standard weapons.

Ultimately I think ranged was never allowed to expand as there was always its sheer advantage in high DPS resulting in it being too strong compared to other classes since it inherently got the advantages of staying away from foes. Personally I would probably have opted to compensate that with lots of projectile reflection among enemies and a lower defense than mages or summoners to give it more trade offs. Basically mage would get ranged current defense stat range summoner would get mages current defense ranges and ranged would get the lowest range of defense to compensate for the highest damage. Then they could have expanded the uniqueness of ranged weapons like the other classes.

As for Melee what kind of petpeeves me is how from 1.3 on late game has utterly abandoned every weapon subtype aside from generic Swords and Yo-Yo's with no endgame additions for any of the other melee sub types. This is a shame as the new flail mechanics are excellent and short swords are finally useable (though utterly neglected in that none exist between early prehardmode and EOL's Starlight) Spears and Boomerangs have always been favorites of mine but they haven't received anything late game since late 1.2. Plenty of earlier game additions have been added which are great but none of those are viable late game if ever in standard progression. This is what killed Melee for me in terms of interest Swords are the most boring weapons as a whole barring a few more exceptional standouts like Seedler Influx Waver etc. Meowmere and Stars wrath are fine weapons but they where honestly let downs to me.

Yo-yos while fine as a whole were unfortunately poorly implemented progression wise with a lot of instant redundancy outclassing.

Valor by the time you get it you can easily get a superior weapon the Cascade. and in early Hardmode while Hellfire is useful if you get it before leaving the underworld it and the other Yo-yos of the tier Chic, Format C, and Gradient are all outclassed by the easier to obtain Amarok. I shouldn't be able to get a weapon like that from killing a freaking ice slime. There is no effort no feeling of accomplishment just a well I guess these are trash now feeling. This is bad game design and sadly *it was not fixed*. Amarok still drops from any enemy so long as you are in the snow biome. This even includes utter cannon fodder enemies which is dumb and is made worse due to their having been an obvious target in Ice Golem either adding it as a common to uncommon drop or making it crafted using a Frost Core.

1.3+ Melee thus as a whole was lazily done as if they just made swords and yo-yos and they didn't put much thought into how they are obtained. This in combo with the nerf of The Horseman's Blade in to shut down engineer builds was the final straw for me honestly. It is a shame as The new early hard mode boomerang shield and mechanic's combat wrench were awesome as was the Drippler Crippler. Sadly both are Early to mid hardmode weapons not endgame so while offering a breath of life into the class it doesn't solve the real underlying problem of a lack of weapon diversity. The Solar Eruption was Great, Daybreak was not..., though I haven't checked out the new buffs so maybe is isn't garbage anymore?

Sure all the late game swords have unique projectiles but they didn't need to be swords to do that. It irks me really. Why no Boomerangs Why no Spears, why no true flails? There was so much potential but nope here are two more swords that might as well not be swords that serve as pieces to collect to make a Uber sword to end all swords.... It needlessly infuriates me seeing all that potential go to waste. T_T
Wall of Text has awoken....

-----------------------------

I actually like melee, in my post before about it I was outlining how pathetically weak it is, not how good it is as a class. Way better designed than Ranger.

Way better designed than Ranger.
I disagree. Melee isn't weak because of good design, it's weak because the vast majority of it's weapons require you to make a tradeoff so major that they are never viable. Every single weapon in an entire class being viable at some point is good design. Not having the vast majority of weapons being totally unusable.

What do you think is the most fun class to play? Preferably not a modded one as I don't play Tmodloader as much anymore.

I disagree. Melee isn't weak because of good design, it's weak because the vast majority of it's weapons require you to make a tradeoff so major that they are never viable. Every single weapon in an entire class being viable at some point is good design. Not having the vast majority of weapons being totally unusable.
I didn't say good design is what makes it weak. I think it's just better designed than Ranger.
What do you think is the most fun class to play? Preferably not a modded one as I don't play Tmodloader as much anymore.
Summoner

Okay I'll definitely try a Summoner playthrough than thanks. It might be time to get away from melee anyways:D.

Summoner is fun, but it is very hard to find items for pre-boss. You need to create a drunk world and search for big trees. Then you can’t do anything until you get entries in the beastiary. That is when it becomes fun.

I didn't say good design is what makes it weak. I think it's just better designed than Ranger.
I still do not agree. Ranger actually has a lot of unique ammos which make it so that to master the class you have to be very good at inventory management, meaning that the class is only boring/repetitive if you use the endless pouches. Also, there isn't really a ranger weapon that's underpowered except for stuff like the Paper Airplane which wasn't really meant to be a weapon anyway, I consider ranger the second best designed pure class out of all of them (impure summoner isn't a pure class so I put pure summoner in third), with mage being the only one that beats it as it's probably the most balanced, disregarding the Razorblade Typhoon.

I put melee in easy to learn/easy to master (click to win, but you don't really get much reward and it's pretty unsatisfying), ranger in easy to learn/hard to master (getting ammo is one thing, experimenting with all the different types and using the best one is another), mage in hard to learn/easy to master (mana management can be intimidating, but once you learn about things like binding the mana potion hotkey to middle click you get closer to mastery and never need the Mana Flower ever again), and summoner in hard to learn/hard to master (not everyone thinks of using other class weapons.
Summoner is fun, but it is very hard to find items for pre-boss. You need to create a drunk world and search for big trees. Then you can’t do anything until you get entries in the beastiary. That is when it becomes fun.
Flinx Staff exists now. That statement is no longer valid.

Flinx Staff exists now. That statement is no longer valid.

Flinx Staff is a carry, but you still need gear to reasonably survive in the Underground Snow to get it. Granted, a finch staff and some creative building should be enough but Summoner still has to get itself going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom