Szaila's Art Show Off

I feel like most of your 'chibi' drawings are too... lanky. The bodies don't have much structure in it and are way too big/long for a chibi character. Also, I think the heads could be a little less oval. But other than that I don't really see much about it that I don't like.

@Devalaous
Let the childern have their requests

request__frick_you_nr__1_by_szaila-d8b9sqo.png

You forgot the epic as possible part,
Make Michael Bay proud and add like 5000000 lense flares in the background along with like a explosion.
(I tried(ALSO DONT DO IT ACTULLY ITS TO TERRIFYING))

Okay but really, like your art a lot
: )

I wonder if Szaila will ever leave Gifland and return
LYkGTus.png
*peeks around corner* Ey, I can hear you..!

I think @darthmorf had a little accident.. No, wait.. what are you doing..?? you're not supposed to spread it all over! Hey! 'Morf! Staph!
Darthmorf.png

Ok, looks like I've jumped back to the older style.. Believe me when I say I actually tried not to make 'em so oval. But it just... kinda happened by itself.....

When I was sketching this, I was imagining how his final look would be like if he transformed completely, so I made a sketch of it =w=
Forum - Darthmorf aftermath.png

Such sharp teeth and claws mmmmmmmmmmmhhh~

I think @darthmorf had a little accident.. No, wait.. what are you doing..?? you're not supposed to spread it all over! Hey! 'Morf! Staph!
View attachment 26417
Ok, looks like I've jumped back to the older style.. Believe me when I say I actually tried not to make 'em so oval. But it just... kinda happened by itself.....

When I was sketching this, I was imagining how his final look would be like if he transformed completely, so I made a sketch of it =w=
Look at that sexy beast tho..!
View attachment 26419
So would the complete transformation make him a Darth-morph? *Ba dum tiss*

Anyways, I rather like your original art style, and it's always good to go back to your roots every once in a while, Great art as always!

But: can you make my character any creepier than it already is?
pfffffff..!
pffffffffffff!!
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!1
Is that a CHALLENGE I smell..????
I definetly smell a challenge.
I'm gonna smash that challenge to bits and make you the scariest mother:red:er on the forum..!!
DATTEBAYO!

But uh.. should I still draw it without colours?
In the original request you said you just wanted an uncoloured sketch so that you could practice colouring on it yourself. Do you still want that?

pfffffff..!
pffffffffffff!!
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!1
Is that a CHALLENGE I smell..????
I definetly smell a challenge.
I'm gonna smash that challenge to bits and make you the scariest mother:red:er on the forum..!!
DATTEBAYO!

But uh.. should I still draw it without colours?
In the original request you said you just wanted an uncoloured sketch so that you could practice colouring on it yourself. Do you still want that?
I have changed my mind, actually. Give it all you got. I'm curious to see what you can come up with now.

View attachment 26417

View attachment 26419
That's great! Thanks so much. I see no fault in your current stylr., stick to it !

I forgot Mystery had a long-standing request. I'm sure it'll be amazing, given the awesome demonic stuff you drew for me that time

Szaila's quoting of me didnt even give me an alert, wtf.

Ahhh I know I'm a bit late on this, but I only saw the critique request now.

I have a hard time critiquing on style because everyone has different preferences, and I can't bring myself to critique based on preference, especially when it comes to to exaggerated styles such as SD or chibi. If ever I see someone whose art I don't care for due to my personal tastes, I'd rather not tell them that for fear that they may misinterpret my opinion as "I find this is objectively bad," which can be damaging without intending it to be.

What I can say is... if you're unhappy with your chibi style, try to think about how you came upon it. Trying to start straight up with a style without studying really boring fundamentals can result in small, casual errors that may compound over time and create an uncanny valley effect, especially when dealing with exaggerated facial features. One way to test the fidelity of a style would be to take a picture of a character, drop the opacity a bit, and then try to draw what you'd imagine their skull structure to be overtop their existing features.... or what their skeleton would look like, if it's a full-body thing you're worried about. Sometimes that can point to inconsistencies caused by perspective or proportion errors, and can clue you in to ways to improve on shapes, silhouettes, and gestures.

In terms of giving more blanket advice... basically, what @Razleth said: the best way to learn is to study from life and then stylize. I believe I linked you a thing about it once in regards to you being worried about having to look up references to draw a bathtub, haha. Though given it's your chibi style you have issue with and not your more 'serious' one, that might be less helpful... in which case, I'd say to look for chibi styles you DO like and, well, just copy a bunch of them closely in practice until you can internalize what about those styles you enjoy and find visually appealing! There is no shame in copying and referencing so long as you don't crutch too much on said copying directly, and acknowledge that you're copying and referencing as part of the learning process on the way towards finding your own style you're happy with!

I believe I linked you a thing about it once in regards to you being worried about having to look up references to draw a bathtub, haha.
shhhh nobody saw that

On another note, I haven't heard advice as solid as this even from my teachers.
I AM very happy with my more serious style, but I am very sure that there's mistakes all over which I do not see, but is easily pointed out by you and artists alike. I will make sure to use my time in the near future to work up to a point of skill where I can also see what's right and what's wrong, but for now, I'll have to rely on more experienced eyes to see what's good and what's not, what I can improve, change and should practice on.

As for the chibi style.. Now that I think about it.. it has to come from wayyyyy back when I drew this character-thingy which I named potato-head. I don't have any pictures, but I remember it having this oval head, allright. I remember drawing 'em excaggerated oval wayy back in uh.. 9.th grade or so, so I guess the bad turn was taken at a very early point, huh. Didn't have the chanse to turn back as it was already too late. Lol I make it sound like a world-ending matter..
I allways thought chibi-styles with oval heads, just vertically so, were so adorable and I wanted to make just as adorable characters one day.
I'll have to go back to the drawing board then, picking out chibis all over the place to then sew 'em all together into a cute abomination which I can call a new "style"

Thank you.

Would you draw me a panda with a shotgun?
:red:ing..... god damnit.
forum correction 3.png
I'm never ever gonna stop with the d!ck-jokes.. ever.
You can TRY stop me, but you never willaaahahahahaha AAAAHAAHAHAHAHHA1!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom