Things you always do before entering hardmode?

Build a huge slum village in bum:red: of nowhere and keep everyone except Arms Dealer, Mechanic, Stylist and Goblin Tinkerer in there. Oh, and make Lava Waders.

That's it, arenas are only needed for gimmick runs(boomerang only, summon damage only, etc.) anyways.

Personal preference, I'm sure. I like to use arenas, and I don't do gimmick runs myself. *shrugs* They just make life easier. You could either use an arena and kill it fast, or not use an arena and kill it with significantly more effort required.

For example, I summoned Plantera in my current playthrough after I already had the Scourge of the Corruptor, Beetle Armor, Ankh Shield, and other goodies. Obviously, Plantera couldn't kill me if he tried. I still drug him back to the Arena I had made for my first Plantera kill. Why? Because it is nice and open, and unlike other places in the Jungle, he doesn't end up ducking inside of walls where I can't hit him, which makes it take longer to kill him.

And then, you have Destroyer. An Arena is really nice for him, because he loves burrowing through the ground where you can't hit him, and an Arena makes him jump out of the ground where he is more vulnerable. In fact, if you have the arena about a screen and a half above the ground, there are times where more than half of his entire body is out of the ground and you can turn him into scrap in record time with piercing weapons such as Nimbus Rods, and other similar things.

Without an Arena, fighting him on the ground would take a lot longer. Same goes for the Twins and Skeletron Prime; while flying around they'll oftentimes duck down into the ground where you can't hit them with very many weapons at all. That's why I like Arenas, it is just plain more efficient.

I could kill any of these bosses without an arena, but I don't find it fun or efficient.

My personal list...

1. Hellivator is a must!

2. Light up every corner of the dungeon.

3. Have the best, class-related armor I can get.

4. Have at least 25 defense, using modifiers if I have to.

5. Have every pre-hardmode NPC available moved in, and make room for at least six more NPCs.

6. Have at least 10 of each, Ironskin and Regeneration Potions on hand.

7. Create a nice grid-tunnel in the Jungle.

Things I do:
1. Maximum life and mana ALWAYS.
2. molten tools and armour.
3. Locate the demon or crimson alters so I can go to them immediately and destroy them.

Things I should do but don't:

1. Build big trenches separating the jungle from the corruption/crimson.
2. Explore plenty of the world so I can find the hard mode ores quicker.
3. Prepare an arena for the hard mode bosses.
4. Gather the materials for crafting the boss summoning items quickly.

I think the things on my SHOULD list are the reason why my progress significantly slows down at the mech boss stage of the game.

I think the things on my SHOULD list are the reason why my progress significantly slows down at the mech boss stage of the game.

Considering that you get free mech spawners until you defeat said bosses, that is probably a good thing.

There's only so much Iron, Lead, Silt, or Slush in any given world and you will eventually run out if you fight the bosses too many times. And of course, the bosses' souls are required to make Moon Spawners, so you're quite limited until/unless you strip mine other worlds for more iron/lead/silt/slush.

Getting a few spawner items is never a bad thing. They're free, why not take them?

To TBH, for the life of me I don't understand why said spawners will drop randomly before the boss is killed and not after. Every other boss has an easy summon method that doesn't involve finite resources.

1. Remind myself that people exaggerate how dangerous the crimson/corruption/hallowed is, resort to not giving a :red: and have fun going in blind and careless.

It isn't that they are dangerous per se (though Ichor Strikers and the green fire spitty guys do hurt when you're still wearing normal mode armor), it is that I find those biomes disruptive as they spread and eat at the jungle, or shrink your pure forest area down (which makes it harder to grow normal wood trees).

I find the biomes more annoying than anything. I rather like underground hallow though, because the crystal shards light up _everything_ even caves I never knew were there before lol.

i just say "YOLO, BUT ACTUALLY I HAVE INFINITE LIVES UNLESS IM HARDMODE IN THAT CASE YEA YOLO."
^ This right here
+Explore the Dungeon, not completely usually (woops)
+Build safe housing (sometimes making way to many rooms lol)
+find a floating Island for easy access to wyverns (Wings asap)
-I don't prevent anything from spreading (goodbye jungle)
-only using Silver/Gold armor? TIME FOR WoF!
-I never stock up on potions
-Alot more lol

1. Make sure I have dug two pits on either side of the land I am going to use.

2. Make Very large hellevator at least 20 blocks across.

3. Have the best easy mode hook. (I always like to be prepared)

4. A path across Hell.

5. Make pits around the jungle. (I hate losing it to Crimson/Corrupt)

6. Find and mark all the important locations. (By mark I mean put big red blocks near it if its small.)

7. Beat the wall of flesh.

Make a way to hell, I don't worry about the crimson or corruption too much since it always comes back when you get into hardmode. I make a battle area, always 2. One for the events and another for bloodmoon or the pirates and such like that. After I get that done I go to hell make a long road across the lava and try to fix it that it is nice and straight so a lot of making sure lava has a place to drain to. check my items and armor. And then I am set.

I always dig large hallways in my underground for efficiency in navigating the areas and finding hardmode ores.

Yarr, me know what me do before me be battlin' thee Wall o' Flesh!

Me get all me dirt and me build through thee underworld!
Me trip and loose money in the lava!
Then me make 10 campfires and place 'em anywhere me think they fit!
After that, me go to me matey the arms dealer and buy more ammo!
Then me kill me self with fall damage! (Me bad at making those hellavators!)
Then me get me trusty crew of tools! (Space gun!)
Me go look for demons, and get voodoo demons cause RNG is like dat!
Finally, me go kill thee Wall o' Flesh!
Wall of Flesh has awoken!
NinjoyXD was slain by The Hungry.
Of course, me forgot me strategy! :p

I make sure my skybridge is finished. But, I guess the rest of you like the challenge of building it with ever-present dread.

1. build hellevator blocks wide
2. find the corruption/crimson and use clay blocks to prevent further spreading.
3. Obtain ful set of molten armour along with molten pick and fiery greatsword
4. Make sure all NPC's are in a room above the surface due to pirates and solar eclipses

That what I usually do.

Having top tier gear is a must (Hellstone armor, pickaxe, Night's Edge, Sunfury, Thorn Chakrum, 400 HP 200 MP)

Some other things good to have include before the shift to hardmode:
  • Enough apartments ( >=20) to hold the current npcs and hardmode npcs (if using mods it goes up to >= 30)
  • 3 Layers of a surface artificial glowing mushroom farm (Easy to farm materials to build home fortress along with a home for Mushroom NPC)
  • A 3 Block wide "Hell Shaft" below or near home fortress
  • An arena to fight previous bosses and mech bosses.
  • Rope leading to all discovered floating islands for soul of flight farming
  • A Hellbridge in the Underworld to fight (and later farm) WoF
  • Special structures in Ice Biome to farm Frost Golems for Ice Feathers and money
  • A "Gel Generator" assuming I found a Slime Statue
  • Ensure I've gotten all Pre-hardmode stuff out of the jungle I want
  • Having a "reserved" demon/crimson alter to use for crafting normal mode boss items and more Night's Edge swords (if I need to for some reason)
That's most of what is important before starting hardmode for the melee style. Can only hope that Hallow will spawn on the Jungle side of the world and not be surrounded by other crimson/corruption.

Kill all the bosses,get molten armor & pickaxe, get random weapons (yes, all random except for Night's Edge), and start killing him, THAT'S it

1) Obtain the Space Gun and Meteor Armor
2) Make a Hellevator straight under my main base
3) Make a farm of moonglow and blinkroot in order to make several spelunker and ironskin potions

Back
Top Bottom