Weapons & Equip Give Shortswords a Helping Hand

I agree, even if this suggestion is implemented the only area in which shortswords are better than spears is in speed. Some additional advantage is needed in order for shortswords to be considered more useful. I'm not sure what that would be, but something in needed.

I agree, even if this suggestion is implemented the only area in which shortswords are better than spears is in speed. Some additional advantage is needed in order for shortswords to be considered more useful. I'm not sure what that would be, but something in needed.
Speed is a dangerous thing.

Let's compare the Titanium Trident to the Titanium Gladius.
The Trident has a base DPS of 109.
The Gladius has a base DPS of 198, and it costs less to make.
You have to consistently hit enemies twice per thrust for the Trident to be feasibly more dangerous than the Shortsword.

In a nutshell, Shortswords are a cheaper and more reliable option, but aren't viable against bosses.

Good luck beating any bosses.
You kidding? Being able to angle is really the only thing I need to be able to wreck most of the pre-hardmode bosses. The Destroyer shouldn't be too difficult, so long as I'm loaded out correctly. Spasmatism and Retinazer are actually my only big concern. Even Skelly Prime isn't too problematic, so long as I get rid of the two melee arms first. By the way, there isn't any Chloro Shortsword as it stands. That could be problematic during the Plantera fight. Also, there should be HM dungeon and Moon Event swords. Just sayin'.

The Chlorophyte Saber is shorter than the Claymore, isn't it? :p
Ex-farking-scuse you, that's still a broadsword by the game's standards. Unless you intend to convert the Saber into a shortsword, which I, personally, do not have any problem with.
There could, but i don't really have any ideas, and there is a trinity of endgame material Shortswords, ya know. ;)
THERE ARE NO EXCUSES FOR A LACK OF TRUE ENDGAME SWORDS! NO EXCUSES!

Pumpkin/Frost Moons are side content, tho... real endgame as of right now is Fishron, and real endgame in a couple months will be different-er still... :l
Yeah, but you still get a lot of top-tier weaponry from the Moon Events, don't you? I, for one, wouldn't mind a Spooky Rapier that shoots Greek Fire.

Yeah, but you still get a lot of top-tier weaponry from the Moon Events, don't you? I, for one, wouldn't mind a Spooky Rapier that shoots Greek Fire.
Greek Fire? If you ask me, that sounds like more of a "Grim Gladius".:p

Other crazy ideas I have include a sacrificial dagger (longer than it sounds, but basically a blade looking like a sharpened chunk of obsidian with a leather or cord wrapped handle), a punching dagger (maybe to go with the Falcon Blade or Cutlass), a Chlorophyte Colichemarde, a Houndfish or Needlefish weapon to go with the Swordfish and Clubberfish, and maybe a projectile-spratying Duke Fishron themed sword called "Riptide", but the aren't DF drops for every weapon type, so it might not be strictly necessary.

You kidding? Being able to angle is really the only thing I need to be able to wreck most of the pre-hardmode bosses. The Destroyer shouldn't be too difficult, so long as I'm loaded out correctly. Spasmatism and Retinazer are actually my only big concern. Even Skelly Prime isn't too problematic, so long as I get rid of the two melee arms first. By the way, there isn't any Chloro Shortsword as it stands. That could be problematic during the Plantera fight. Also, there should be HM dungeon and Moon Event swords. Just sayin'.
Well, @General Milky did it with a Copper Shortsword (and Heartlanterns and Flasks of Cursed Flames, but still), so technically, it should be possible with the HM shortswords suggested here. Of course, it won't be easy, but if you also put on armor, it should be managable.

I had this idea a while back and I really do stand by it. Though, I simply just wanted shortswords to behave like spears except faster and without multi-hit.

Back
Top Bottom