PC 1.3.1 : Mechanics and Controller Support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scorpions have always given me a hard time, ever since they first came out . . . collecting them was quite the challenge! I'm not sure about any buffs to spawn rates though.

They should automatically grow on un-occupied Jungle grass ceilings that are 2 blocks wide, Underground. :) This would apply to old worlds as well.
Well I'll just be patient for the next update. Besides, with this new update, I could
probably just make some efficient critter farms! Thanks for the information, those beehives look amazing for jungle builds!
One last thing, in what way are the flower boots bugged? I am curious about this fact.

Personally (and this is JUST me, and 100% not official), I think it would be cool if enemies killed with the Medusa head dropped Marble blocks. That gives an infinite source of both Marble and Granite, via different, unique ways. :)
I would really like to see that in game, TBH :)

I missed the mechanics suggestion thread >_<

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wiring-request-mining-protection-blocks.42604/

My idea was a way to designate an 'area' that locks all mining/modification within that area as long as wiring juice is supplied to the two corners of said area.

I think I designed it fairly well, and a world-selection command to 'manually unlock' them should be enough to prevent a world from getting screwed by bad wiring setups.

Still, please take this as a suggestion: all the logic gates and sensors should be on the same layer as wires/actuators. Also, Logic Gate Lamps should be place-able on every side of the gate, not just on top.
If this is at all possible, it would be great.

I recorded audio with my volume settings and you see a massive peak when I used Vortex Beater.
Kudos to you for going the extra mile and including a helpful visual aid.

As for gathering bunnies... it's too bad there isn't, say.. a zookeeper NPC who sells animals (including lower-value bunnies) with various uses. Or a way to set up critter traps that will fill offscreen like trees grow.
Okay, animal traps sound like a very cool idea that I never thought of even a little. I like the idea of something you could build with a few mundane materials, but gives you something to look forward to.

You make a cage trap, set it out, go off to explore some caverns, then come back and see if there's anything in your trap. Small animals could be caught with wooden traps, larger ones might require metal. The traps could either be consumable, or could be reused, but must be be 'rearmed' with a food item or something as bait.

Submerged fish traps could work in a similar fashion.

I could really see that being kind of fun in the early game.

Personally (and this is JUST me, and 100% not official), I think it would be cool if enemies killed with the Medusa head dropped Marble blocks.
THAT is a cool idea. I feel that in addition to Medusa Head victims dropping blocks, Last Prism victims should :red: bricks. ~;)

---
I was playing the adventure map when I saw this little fellow. I had no idea they were in the game and, though I don't have any clue why, I was quite pleased to see it. Terraria surprised me, and that made me smile.

---
EDIT: So, is that like... three avatars in a row with foxes on them?

Last edited:
its a bit of a bummer no ocram/mechanical brain was released this update could've used it but i still am happy for update nonetheless i am curious about 1.3.2 maybe they will add special abilitys for weapon types like starbound
[doublepost=1464043299,1464043091][/doublepost]
Finally, time to install Terraria again :), and some fresh start
good for you its great to see people playing after a long while of inactivity

---
I was playing the adventure map when I saw this little fellow. I had no idea they were in the game and, though I don't have any clue why, I was quite pleased to see it. Terraria surprised me, and that made me smile.

---
EDIT: So, is that like... three avatars in a row with foxes on them?

Crawdads came in 1.3 and they are semi-rare Pure Underground/Cavern enemies. They are rather overpowered as they hit *hard* (30-40 damage) and they can be encountered very early game and will happily kill you if you don't have any way of keeping it away from you.

Crawdads (as well as Giant Shelleys and Salamanders) are a unique mob set. Only two of which are present in each world so every world will be missing on of these mobs, maybe your main world didn't have the Crawdads in them.

Haven't tried it yet, but while I normally prefer keyboard controls for something like this, my carpal tunnel thanks you for the option to use a controller. Now to vanish for a week while I check out 1.3.1.

Magic Mirror.
Magic_Mirror.png

Am I alone in absolutely hating the new sprite? I mean, it's a really subtle change to begin with, I know, but to me, this looks like a beta sprite, and the old one looks more interesting. There was a bit more shape and detail to the old one. It had a faceted look, and a frame that felt like it was trying to be ornate with the limited pixels it had to work in. This? This is a jelly bean. This feels like a step down.

Crawdads (as well as Giant Shelleys and Salamanders) are a unique mob set. Only two of which are present in each world so every world will be missing on of these mobs, maybe your main world didn't have the Crawdads in them.
I noticed, when I looked them up, that it was an either/or proposition of getting them in your worlds. I never 'throw away' a world, and I dip in and out of playing all of them, so it's weird that I never saw one out of the 14 or so worlds I use on a regular basis.

That's the RNG for ya'.

Personally (and this is JUST me, and 100% not official), I think it would be cool if enemies killed with the Medusa head dropped Marble blocks. That gives an infinite source of both Marble and Granite, via different, unique ways. :)
I would love this... or at least make a suggestion/bring this up with the people in charge of these decisions. It is too good not to.
As for mobs the only critters worth using as bait are Worms(during rain), Enchanted Night Crawlers(crafted), Grasshoppers(with use of Flower Boots), Fireflies, Lightning Bugs, Buggy, Sluggy, and Grubby. All the other critters usable as bait are too rare/have too high of a mortality to spawn rate to be used as bait.

Thus Bait has never been really balanced considering some of the more available options have a higher bait power compared to rarer ones. Why would I use Scorpions if I can get worms/fire flies/grasshoppers/jungle critters in far larger numbers than I see in an entire playthrough with a desert based home? All the other critters are worth nothing more than trophies...
As for the Angler, it might be unlucky RNG but I get mostly money and vanity from him rather than bait. Of course I have to skip a bunch of quest fish becuse I can not get them to spawn if my life depends on it even when I'm fishing in the biome where it says they are found...
(Probably because all the ice in my main world was hallowed by the first death of the WOF making every ice biome fish unobtainable...)

not to mention that these relatively cheap and fun blocks would be VERY, VERY easily exploitable and abusable against most regular monsters.

It's not exactly difficult to put some lava in a hole or build a wall with a murder hole in it to abuse regular monsters as it is. Anything more than those just makes the traps more enjoyable to build/use/watch.

I would love this... or at least make a suggestion/bring this up with the people in charge of these decisions. It is too good not to.
As for mobs the only critters worth using as bait are Worms(during rain), Enchanted Night Crawlers(crafted), Grasshoppers(with use of Flower Boots), Fireflies, Lightning Bugs, Buggy, Sluggy, and Grubby. All the other critters usable as bait are too rare/have too high of a mortality to spawn rate to be used as bait.

Thus Bait has never been really balanced considering some of the more available options have a higher bait power compared to rarer ones. Why would I use Scorpions if I can get worms/fire flies/grasshoppers/jungle critters in far larger numbers than I see in an entire playthrough with a desert based home? All the other critters are worth nothing more than trophies...
As for the Angler, it might be unlucky RNG but I get mostly money and vanity from him rather than bait. Of course I have to skip a bunch of quest fish becuse I can not get them to spawn if my life depends on it even when I'm fishing in the biome where it says they are found...
(Probably because all the ice in my main world was hallowed by the first death of the WOF making every ice biome fish unobtainable...)

Once your fishing power is high enough (through bait, gear, potions, and lake size... and weather, time of day, and moon cycles help a ton as well), you should get enough bait from crates to pretty much fish forever.

Also, biomes overlap (unless they completely replace them like corruption replaces normal forest and jungle). If you're in a hallowed ice biome, you can get quest fish for both of them there (as well as normal fish and crates).

It's not exactly difficult to put some lava in a hole or build a wall with a murder hole in it to abuse regular monsters as it is. Anything more than those just makes the traps more enjoyable to build/use/watch.

Once your fishing power is high enough (through bait, gear, potions, and lake size... and weather, time of day, and moon cycles help a ton as well), you should get enough bait from crates to pretty much fish forever.

Also, biomes overlap (unless they completely replace them like corruption replaces normal forest and jungle). If you're in a hallowed ice biome, you can get quest fish for both of them there (as well as normal fish and crates).
Really? I have never been able to get a Mutant Snow Flinx/or Fisheron, I can however fish out plenty of Artic Cod, Chaos Fish, Princess Fish, Prismite(the life force potion one) even the Scaly Truffle but those two allude me.. Which makes my inner collector crazy... I even have had a decent number of Crystal Serpents and can find Penguin fish on the surface where it is only snow.. The others have eluded me even with 120+ Fishing Power.

Fishing is already OP enough. ;)

I've never used statues for bait and once you get going it's usually not bad, but sometimes finding bait can be an extreme pain. I think infinite use bait (rubber worm) that's easily obtained early on would be very useful and difficult to abuse. Alternatively a fly rod with really low fishing power (despite fly fishing being amazing) and no need for bait (and consequently no bait bonus) could be even better if you're concerned about abuse somehow.

Really? I have never been able to get a Mutant Snow Flinx/or Fisheron, I can however fish out plenty of Artic Cod, Chaos Fish, Princess Fish, Prismite(the life force potion one) even the Scaly Truffle but those two allude me.. Which makes my inner collector crazy... I even have had a decent number of Crystal Serpents and can find Penguin fish on the surface where it is only snow.. The others have eluded me even with 120+ Fishing Power.

I *think* so... I could have sworn people were building multi-biome lakes to catch as many things as possible in them, and I know I used the same ponds to catch quest fish for multiple biomes. But, maybe I was just shifting my position until the background changed to the appropriate biome... It's been a while. Worst case you could build a little floating island (or two) of whatever biome you need above a lake to shift it to whatever you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom