Official 1.3 Launch Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, Martian Madness is completely unreasonable. Flying Saucers just spawn and spawn and spawn and spawn and spawn. I kill one, another pops up. And literally nothing else shows up to fight before, during or after the flying saucer's appearance. It's also stupidly easy for the event to happen, to the point that basically you might as well give up on what you're doing and prepare for a wasted half-hour to an hour on Martian Madness the second one of those goddamn probes show up. This event needs some serious tuning. It's fine that the first time a probe spots you it summons the event, but how about making it so the probes drop event-summoning items instead for later instances? Because let me tell you, it is frustrating as hell to have whatever I'm doing interrupted yet again by a probe flying in at a billion miles an hour, beelining for me, and flying off before I can destroy it. Also, please add a "cancel all ongoing events" item. Maybe some people think it's "fun" to have a Martian invasion, solar eclipse, blood moon, solar eclipse, Martian invation, and blood moon all happen back-to-back, but some of us have these things called "lives", and we like to live them instead of grindgrindgrinding in Terraria for two hours due to the randomizer being a bastard.

Think about it, developers. Please.
Instead of just flying away, the probe should plant itself down and begin sending a signal, with a gauge appearing over it that displays how much time until the signal is successfully sent. Then if the player fails to destroy it before the signal is relayed, the event will begin.

This would be a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch nicer way of handling Martian Madness.

It's not a bug, but I found an underground biome that has stone walls with a slight purple tint to it. It isn't a granite cave, but it isn't an underground corruption either.
(Also, this is pre-hardmode) Here's a picture of it. That's the entire biome.
Capture 2015-07-07 18_48_06.png

Just dealt with the nightmare gauntlet that is the last boss sequence. That whole thing was proof positive that the developers do not care at all about single player. "Nasty" is too kind a word to describe it. Now that we have a game that is basically only possible to finish with half a dozen other people helping you at minimum if you aren't some super-player who's logged 4,000 hours on the game, can we maybe have a game that someone who isn't willing to dedicate six months straight to it can actually finish?

Just dealt with the nightmare gauntlet that is the last boss sequence. That whole thing was proof positive that the developers do not care at all about single player. "Nasty" is too kind a word to describe it. Now that we have a game that is basically only possible to finish with half a dozen other people helping you at minimum if you aren't some super-player who's logged 4,000 hours on the game, can we maybe have a game that someone who isn't willing to dedicate six months straight to it can actually finish?
You know, I beat the pillars pretty easily without 4000+ logged hours. The basic strategy is just to fly back and forth with weapons that auto-aim. Well, for me anyway, since I like to use mage stuff. For the fire pillar, stay on the ground to avoid the worms. Life steal is, once again, pretty useful. You can also barricade yourself inside a box so most monsters can't touch you. Weapons that pierces blocks makes it easy to defend yourself. Works for all but one pillar.

You know, I beat the pillars pretty easily without 4000+ logged hours. The basic strategy is just to fly back and forth with weapons that auto-aim. Well, for me anyway, since I like to use mage stuff. For the fire pillar, stay on the ground to avoid the worms. Life steal is, once again, pretty useful. You can also barricade yourself inside a box so most monsters can't touch you. Weapons that pierces blocks makes it easy to defend yourself. Works for all but one pillar.

That is neither intuitive nor fun. That is what in any other game would be classified as an exploit, in fact. I get that Terraria has a large focus on using the environment to your advantage (and crafting it to your advantage as well), but here's the thing: the combat has never felt like it was truly intermarried with the concept. Especially not for the pillars, which appear at locations that you couldn't possibly know the location of until after they've been summoned. There's nothing really guiding players to absurd and unintuitive solutions like "box yourself in and use weapons that pierce through walls" in the game. There's no fun to be had in just sitting there like a rock holding the left mouse button down for 5 minutes until everything around you is dead. And there is definitely no fun to be had in trying to play this game like you would basically any other action-oriented combat-centric game of its type, as that will generally get you killed in record time.

Terraria is not playable for "normal" players. It asks of them that they do things that make absolutely no sense if they wish to succeed. And that is a problem. A big problem.

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK
Hi, I just updated my Terraria to 1.3.0.2 a few days ago and I have a feedback about Expert Mode

-The Nurse SHOULDN'T be able to heal the player during the boss fight, especially if she's really close to where the the boss battle is happen. Players could simply abuse the nurse before they die, making the fight less exciting, not to mention the nurse could heal herself so she's a never-ending immortal well of health for the players.

Hi, I just updated my Terraria to 1.3.0.2 a few days ago and I have a feedback about Expert Mode

-The Nurse SHOULDN'T be able to heal the player during the boss fight, especially if she's really close to where the the boss battle is happen. Players could simply abuse the nurse before they die, making the fight less exciting, not to mention the nurse could heal herself so she's a never-ending immortal well of health for the players.
That would make the nurse next to useless as an NPC though, and it wouldn't make much sense for her to stop healing you because there's a boss nearby.

And there is definitely no fun to be had in trying to play this game like you would basically any other action-oriented combat-centric game of its type, as that will generally get you killed in record time.

I started to get detailed in where various points of your argument was flawed and then realized they all pretty much stem from this. You're complaining about your difficulty in succeeding in a sandbox game when you're apparently ignoring the sandbox aspect. Is it possible that the Lunar Event is a bit much? It's possible, I can't say myself since I'm in no rush to get to that point yet. However, I can say that until you are capable of keeping the sandbox aspect of Terraria in mind while you play, you are not the type of player to determine that.

Edit: I want to clarify that this isn't a, "get good before you critique," post. Instead it's a, "understand what you're playing," post. Critiquing Terraria while comparing it to non-sandbox sidescrolling action games is like telling a developer of a rugby game stuff isn't right because it's not that way in a football game(American football that is).

Edit^2: Also, a general note: Before claiming anything in Terraria is, "Too hard," one should be able to detail all attempts made(that means more than one) and there should also be a variance of tactics attempted(I failed the first time so I hit it harder the second doesn't count).

Edit 3, even editier! Feedback unrelated to the above: I really don't like the Skeleton Merchant setup. Having to stumble across him would be fine, having a time-specific inventory is fine. The combination of the two though...ugh. Nothing says fun like alt-tabbing from the game while waiting for the right time to buy what you're wanting...

Last edited:
I think this is a nice addition to the game.
gZ9kEHB.png

If you have poor lighting or aren't paying attention, the creatures that appear when you trigger the statue will be a bit of a surprise (so far, the statue has always been on a separate floor from the pressure plate that triggers it). It adds a bit more spice to the cabins, after all this time. And, for new players who aren't familiar with the ins and outs of Terraria and don't intend to visit the forums or the wiki, this is a nice way to introduce them to the idea that some statues can be more than just decorative.

Kudos to the one that thought to add this.

if you aren't some super-player who's logged 4,000 hours on the game
I wondered why I wasn't a super player yet; turns out I need to log another 708 hours in the game.

Terraria is not playable for "normal" players. It asks of them that they do things that make absolutely no sense if they wish to succeed. And that is a problem. A big problem.

Heaven forbid the final boss actually require effort. You make it sound like the entire game is some extremely brutal beatdown from start to finish. Also, not everybody can finish any game - there's always going to be people who aren't skilled/crafty enough to beat a game. Does that mean the challenge needs to be toned down? No. If it wasn't the Moon Lord it was just the Mechanicals, or even the Wall of Flesh. At some point somebody can't get past something, but that doesn't mean it's cheap. You can't design a game for *all* skill levels, and at least in the case of Terraria the game isn't hard until towards the end where it makes sense, or from the beginning if on Expert which is intended for the skilled players anyway.

Moon Lord has been soloed both on Normal and Expert. It's doable, and saying things like "players need to have dedicated thousands of hours" isn't even a valid argument. For one thing you're admitting that with enough practice it can be done, but that you're refusing to actually work for it. Also, there is a cap to skill. Just because somebody might have 4k hours of playtime doesn't mean the challenge *requires* 4k hours of playtime. Somebody with 4k hours might be playing at the same level somebody with 200 hours has. You can only get so good at a game, and any further time is nothing.

I wondered why I wasn't a super player yet; turns out I need to log another 708 hours in the game.
Heh, I just glanced at my time played and was a bit surprised. I'm still under 1k. Figured with as many times as I've left the game running when I've gone to bed, I'd be well over that.

You can only get so good at a game, and any further time is nothing.
I disagree with that opinion, there's always room for improvement. I will, however, admit that there's a point where any improvement isn't going to be easily noticeable.

That is neither intuitive nor fun. That is what in any other game would be classified as an exploit, in fact. I get that Terraria has a large focus on using the environment to your advantage (and crafting it to your advantage as well), but here's the thing: the combat has never felt like it was truly intermarried with the concept. Especially not for the pillars, which appear at locations that you couldn't possibly know the location of until after they've been summoned. There's nothing really guiding players to absurd and unintuitive solutions like "box yourself in and use weapons that pierce through walls" in the game. There's no fun to be had in just sitting there like a rock holding the left mouse button down for 5 minutes until everything around you is dead. And there is definitely no fun to be had in trying to play this game like you would basically any other action-oriented combat-centric game of its type, as that will generally get you killed in record time.

I think you need to re-evaluate your strategy. I was able to, by flying around, jumping and teleporting with the Rod of Discord, kill all 4 towers with minimum effort and maybe 1 death total. I only died to the Moon Lord because i made a mistake and got stuck in a spot I made to fight the boss. I lost because of my own stupidity. Also, like others have said, you are completely neglecting the point of a sand-box game. There is a reason this is not an rpg. In those you can't mess with the environment to suit your needs. Also, just because YOU did not have fun with one simple aspect of the game, does not mean that the Developers are going to change the game for the Entire community just to meet your own desires, because frankly, I and many others enjoy the new update. I like challenges, and being beat by one thing allows me to adapt and learn, not just play the same, "point-click-shoot" combo that many rpgs have became today. How about next time you do not bash the developers and maybe think about if other people like it and you just haven't thought of a strategy to beat it. Even if you like it or not, boxing yourself is a strategy. If you don't like it, then you don't have to do it. I personally don't like boxing myself in, does that mean I bash other people by calling their methods "not fun"? No. If they enjoy, then good for them, its not your job to critique everyone else's choices. Just your own.

And F.Y.I: I have logged only 103 hours over the course of a year. So I'm extremely sorry if I broke your expectations of 4000+ hours needed to beat a bunch of pixels on a screen.

All of these absurd strategies to deal with the boss that are completely unintuitive are just reinforcing my point: Terraria is impossible to play "normally". There's an unspoken rule in game design: you make a pact with the player when they play your game. That pact is that the rules the player observes (as well as the rules you tell the player are there) are the rules that the game works by, and if the player masters those rules, they will be able to succeed. If the rules you teach the player are inconsistent (or worse, completely wrong), you've done a bad job at conveying what you expect to the player or purposely set out to make sure they fail. Games that encourage creativity often have it worst in this regard, because they're often so open-ended that they're basically telling the player "figure it out yourself" when it comes to dealing with problems. And that's not really fair, especially not when the only solutions that work are so far from what a sane person would think up unaided as to effectively be invisible to them.

I don't have a problem with creative solutions to problems. I encourage that sort of thinking. But I also don't think that they should be unguided and absolutely insane. "Build a road the size of New Mexico in the sky to do aerial ballet on", "trap yourself in a tiny box and spam the most unfair weapon you have", "build a miniature railroad to do donuts around a boxed-in boss" and other such solutions should not be expected of a player, because let me tell you, I have yet to encounter anyone who both thought up something that insane on their own and figured that was going to be anything resembling fun or a good idea.

I think this is a nice addition to the game.
gZ9kEHB.png

If you have poor lighting or aren't paying attention, the creatures that appear when you trigger the statue will be a bit of a surprise (so far, the statue has always been on a separate floor from the pressure plate that triggers it). It adds a bit more spice to the cabins, after all this time. And, for new players who aren't familiar with the ins and outs of Terraria and don't intend to visit the forums or the wiki, this is a nice way to introduce them to the idea that some statues can be more than just decorative.

Kudos to the one that thought to add this.
I noticed one of those before, but because of a glitch where some blocks override wires in underground cabins, it didn't actually work... still a cool idea though.

mildly disappointing hammering traps only flips them left/right like we already could do when placing, was hoping for new directional changes too
Fixed a bug where you could spawn a heart/enemy from a statue using wires faster than intended..
aww :( building stuff just got less fun. thanks for that

edit-
also this
"There is a 1 in 7 chance that a Hardmode Dungeon monster will spawn on any Hardmode Dungeon backwall."
i liked the variation different walls had on dungeon

or have i misunderstood that one?

edit- so yeah kinda did. so its still unique walls but 1 in 7 chance of other wall's guys spawning. seems high but rare cross spawns could be nice

Last edited:
I should probably clarify that I don't expect the developers to completely remake the game to fix these issues. I'd just like to see the game properly balanced in consideration of the fact that most people who pick it up are not going to build super-mega-arenas or develop strategies to auto-dodge every attack the boss enemies throw at them. And to add some anti-frustration features to single-player as well; as it stands, single player is pretty much an exercise in frustration with the absurdly long iteration times for bosses (especially for the Moon Lord; I could finish an entire NES game in the time it takes to get a second shot at that bastard!).

So, the day is finally here! You have Terraria 1.3 in your hands at last - so as you dig ever deeper into the juicy new content and features, come back here and let us know what you think.

Not just bugs - you can feel free to report those in our BUG REPORT SECTION (remember to make it clear that you are playing 1.3), but feedback in general: balance, things you find cool (or less cool), fun stories, etc.

This - coupled with Bug Reports - will assist the team in any needed fixes and adjustments post launch.

divider.png

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Development Team is particularly interested in feedback on the newly-added Expert Mode - in regards to balance, overall fun & challenge factor, etc. So, please provide any thoughts you have here. In order to help make this specific feedback more noticeable, please mark any Expert Mode feedback with the text below (just copy-paste it). Thanks!

EXPERT MODE FEEDBACK

divider.png

Thanks Terrarians...now get out there and explore!!!
Can i just ask is terraria gonna come out on apple for the pc

Expert Mode: I think that compared to WoF, Skeletron is kind of overpowered. I struggled badly soloing skeletron, timewise it was a struggle to get the DPS out to kill skeletron in a night, as almost everything hits between 1 and 10 in pre-hardmode. I ended up making a spawn next to the arena i build to keep healing myself on nurse. The only thing that actually deals damage is the jump from slime mount and the EoC item to bounce back and forth, If anyone has tips/tricks for Skeletron pre-hardmode on Expert I'd love to hear it.

Expert mode 2: In my opinion the celestial towers are kind of weak and should require more effort, I struggle more with martian invasion than with the Towers... Might want to tune it up a bit.

Expert mode 3: Duke fishron is quite easily to dodge in his berserk stage. Might want to buff this ?

Beated Moon Lord on expert mode last night with only Pre-lunar items. It's definately do-able with the right tactics, I'd actually love to see a buff on moon lord :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom