NPCs & Enemies Angler Overhaul: Adding less RNG to the game

It mostly is to keep consistency with every other item in the game
Not just that, I'm not a coder so someone who is please correct me if I'm wrong but.

It's that the game just can't support a number of items higher than 999. Remember how nothing could stack above 255 before 1.2? That was because of a limit in the game's engine. Guess why the max limit to the biggest bag of rupees in the original Legend of Zelda games could only stack to 255, they simply couldn't make it any higher, of course nowadays they can but terraria's engine still would need an upgrade to be able to support a number beyond 999.

I guess it's similar to the way the game can't handle more than 4 (5?) liquids.

Full support. It's an RPG. I want to feel rewarded, and like I'm progressing.

Reasoning:

WIth the current system, grinding out a fish finder with the standard method will take most people about 73 in-game days (((40÷3)+(40÷2)+(40÷1))x(24/60)), which works out to 29h 20m. That's a really long time to spend for random chance.

Like what do you get for the Cell Phone with the Angler items?
Weather? It's right there on screen anyway.
Fishing Power? It says so on your gear. As people accumulate gear they'll remember.
Moon phase? It's right there at night. Therefore it is only useful for knowing when you'll get to a certain moon phase later on.
For the same purpose, the Enchanted Sundial is probably easier to get with crate potions than the Sextant. People will be doing this for the Radar anyway since it offers real utility. Furthermore, the Enchanted Sundial quickens collections from the Tax Collector NPC.

Since we're talking about time efficiency, the time spent using the the safe/piggy bank more on account of carrying necessary Cell Phone ingredients taking up inventory space probably adds up to far less than grinding out Fish Finder materials.

So let's say this makes the standard method seem inefficient. Ok then you farm up for Sonar and Fishing Potions, make multiple worlds, rush to the ocean, and get your reward quickly (especially with the Drill Mount) and maybe the potions last multiple quests. Maybe you can't do a few because sky lakes or honey pools aren't readily available and it's quicker to visit a new world than make one, but hey ho.

Now the speed of grinding a Fish Finder or other Angler rewards is proportionate to the user's computer speed rather than any in-game progress or mechanics.

Now that's just silly.

Last edited:
You just catch a bunch of fish then make a ton of new characters to trade them in. You can get a fish finder in 1-2 days if you do it right and get lucky with what fish the angler wants you to catch. I still have half a chest of dirtfish I've not got around to trading in.

Do it, fishing is the most boring thing in all of Terraria.
I'll do it when I need to get something from that world, I did it on a spare world I have for crimson and expert items.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438265991,1438265584][/DOUBLEPOST]And there are much more boring things to do.
- Farming Souls in a world where the hallow was generated in the jungle so you have to make a contained biome and wait for an age :mad:
- Farming for each Moon Lord drop :mad:
- Farming Bloody Celestial Fragments :mad:
[DOUBLEPOST=1438266166][/DOUBLEPOST]
4 (5?) liquids.
3. Just... Pointing that out...

You just catch a bunch of fish then make a ton of new characters to trade them in. You can get a fish finder in 1-2 days if you do it right and get lucky with what fish the angler wants you to catch. I still have half a chest of dirtfish I've not got around to trading in.

Catch a bunch of fish and trade them in on new characters?
1) Quest fish only appear during relevant quests.
2) This doesn't work for items that're restricted to characters who've completed a set number of quests
3) I already addressed the point that spending 72 in-game days/29 real life hours on this isn't the most efficient method and went into detail about it
4) 1-2 in-game days is 24-48 real lifeminutes. It's absolutely impossible to fish 73 fish within 48 minutes.
5) You're adding another RNG element to the process
6) You have to factor in the 1/42 chance that you'll have the right fish for your main character. I have to assume this is what you mean as there was very little clarity

The only possibly useful (and most plausible) application of your concept is creating a set of mini biomes at surface, caverns, and underground, plus a sky lake and honey pool by the ocean with a hellevator or teleporter system to make every possible fishing area accessible to newly-created characters, but the facts still remain.

I'll do it when I need to get something from that world, I did it on a spare world I have for crimson and expert items.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438265991,1438265584][/DOUBLEPOST]And there are much more boring things to do.
- Farming Souls in a world where the hallow was generated in the jungle so you have to make a contained biome and wait for an age :mad:
- Farming for each Moon Lord drop :mad:
- Farming Bloody Celestial Fragments :mad:
[DOUBLEPOST=1438266166][/DOUBLEPOST]
3. Just... Pointing that out...

1) That's subjective, and OP was about not doing things that're potentially a waste of time when there could be a sense of progression
2) Clentaminator/second world (since you're not opposed to using multiple worlds/characters). You only have to make mini biomes once.
3) The Moon Lord is not that tough. Any one set of armor takes around two attempts. Star Wrath/Last Prism with the appropriate armor make him easy, especially if you have expert mode accessories from earlier (far easier) bosses. Note that even while moving, the Shiny Stone alone out-heals a Charm of Myths with Super Healing Potions. Solar Flare Armor at night with a Star Wrath, Celestial Shell, Worm Scarf, Shiny Stone, Ankh Shield, Flesh Knuckles, Pumpkin Pies, and pots of your choice plus tele to your nurse makes him a cinch. Last Prism, Nebula Armor, Magic Cuffs, Celestial Emblem, Celestial Shell, Destroyer Emblem, Mana Flower (with no mana pots) makes farming pillars easy, even while flying at the Solar Pillar.
4) You can combine unnecessary types of fragment

_

Basically you're giving empty, illogical, and unclear responses to posts you haven't read or considered thoroughly.

That's an overly complicated way to so it and some people don't agree with it, as they feel like having multiple characters or worlds in one run is cheating. This suggestion is offering a simple and easier way that still requires a lot of fishing, only this time you don't need to fish way too much so you don't get bored and just give up.

Catch a bunch of fish and trade them in on new characters?
1) Quest fish only appear during relevant quests.
2) This doesn't work for items that're restricted to characters who've completed a set number of quests
3) I already addressed the point that spending 72 in-game days/29 real life hours on this isn't the most efficient method and went into detail about it
4) 1-2 in-game days is 24-48 real lifeminutes. It's absolutely impossible to fish 73 fish within 48 minutes.
5) You're adding another RNG element to the process
6) You have to factor in the 1/42 chance that you'll have the right fish for your main character. I have to assume this is what you mean as there was very little clarity

The only possibly useful (and most plausible) application of your concept is creating a set of mini biomes at surface, caverns, and underground, plus a sky lake and honey pool by the ocean with a hellevator or teleporter system to make every possible fishing area accessible to newly-created characters, but the facts still remain.

1) That's subjective, and OP was about not doing things that're potentially a waste of time when there could be a sense of progression
2) Clentaminator/second world (since you're not opposed to using multiple worlds/characters). You only have to make mini biomes once.
3) The Moon Lord is not that tough. Any one set of armor takes around two attempts. Star Wrath/Last Prism with the appropriate armor make him easy, especially if you have expert mode accessories from earlier (far easier) bosses. Note that even while moving, the Shiny Stone alone out-heals a Charm of Myths with Super Healing Potions. Solar Flare Armor at night with a Star Wrath, Celestial Shell, Worm Scarf, Shiny Stone, Ankh Shield, Flesh Knuckles, Pumpkin Pies, and pots of your choice plus tele to your nurse makes him a cinch. Last Prism, Nebula Armor, Magic Cuffs, Celestial Emblem, Celestial Shell, Destroyer Emblem, Mana Flower (with no mana pots) makes farming pillars easy, even while flying at the Solar Pillar.
4) You can combine unnecessary types of fragment

_

Basically you're giving empty, illogical, and unclear responses to posts you haven't read or considered thoroughly.
I guess you are right. But fishing in my opinion is still more fun than what I mentioned.

I guess you are right. But fishing in my opinion is still more fun than what I mentioned.
Well think of it this way, you could spend countless hours, even days working towards an item and never get it. A time lottery.

Recent example of RNG trouble: I just spent around 12 hours trying to get a Frozen Turtle Shell while using water candles placed+held, and battle potions.

During this time I gained quite at least four Biome Keys (25x less likely), and around 20 Ice Sickles (2x less likely). That's leaving out the countless chests of equally rare items.

I'm in hole hogfish! I love fishing, and would like to see more reasons to continue it past "end game".

I completely support this. The randomness of quest rewards is incredibly frustrating. One can end up with 20 weather radios and 20 notebooks (or whatever that thing is called) with the angler simply refusing to give out sextants. I know someone who can attest to this.

I used this method to get all of the accessories but I'd rather see some normal way of acquiring the angler's stuff.
A shop with his items, purchaseable with coins gotten from the angler, would be absolutely brilliant.

My most enjoyment in the game currently is fishing and while I have not had the worst luck with RNG (2 golden nets/3 bottomless buckets later) I do actually quite like your idea. The token store would give you a more controlled manor to obtain high end items but in my opinion removes some of the enjoyment of RNG. It is so rewarding when you finally get given the last piece to the cell phone or the long awaited golden bug net.

While I will support this idea because it is a well thought out good one, I can honestly live with or without this :] +1

This is a great suggestion. The only changes I would make to your idea are making coins possible to get from crates and getting more of them on Expert Mode.

Back
Top Bottom