PC How to milk the Angler from his quest rewards

Gotcha!

Pumpking
I don't see anyone else posted this, but it's nice to know and I've been using this trick for a while now.

- Still don't have the Angler's items needed to put that awesome Cell Phone together?
- Can't seem to get that elusive Hotline?
- Tired of getting your 14th sponge when you really want an endless water bucket?

Say no more! We're going to milk that Angler from his quest rewards. Milk him dry we will.

What to do:
- Create 10 characters (or more for maximum effect, but I'll be using 10 for this example).
- Start a server with TerrariaServer.exe (Steam\SteamApps\common\Terraria\TerrariaServer.exe) and choose the world you want to fish in.
- Join the world through your IP or your loopback ip address: 127.0.0.1
- Buy a safe (or piggy bank, but I prefer the safe due to easy placement).
- Put the Angler at or near your spawn point for convenience.
- Put a chest near the Angler.
- Get the Angler's quest.
- Go get the fish and when you have it, put it inside your safe on the spot. Then fish 9 more quest fishes for your other characters, each time putting them inside your safe. If you don't put them inside your safe then you won't be able to fish a second quest fish since the game sees you already have one.
- Return to the angler and put all your quest fishes inside the chest you put down near him earlier.
- Now get all your other characters one by one, have them grab a quest fish from the chest and turn them in.
- Rinse and repeat.

Note: You do not need to start a server because the Angler's quest remains the same if you close and reopen a world. But map loading times seem faster to me.

Last edited:
Based on the fact that opening the world in TEdit displays the quest fish of the day, I'd say it does remain the same.
If so, it boils down to "have multiple characters fish on the same world/day". Which is a good idea, assuming the fishing spot isn't a million miles away. I guess it'd be a good idea to set up a small 'fishing only' world, and set up lakes in various biomes to best take advantage of the quest randomness.

If so, it boils down to "have multiple characters fish on the same world/day". Which is a good idea, assuming the fishing spot isn't a million miles away. I guess it'd be a good idea to set up a small 'fishing only' world, and set up lakes in various biomes to best take advantage of the quest randomness.
A very good idea indeed. I do it myself too, having a mushroom biome/honey/sky pool nearby. The only time I need to travel is when he wants an ocean fish. :)

You can always set up like this:
sky pool
- - - - - - - - - - - -crimson/corrupt pool - - - - - - - -jungle pool - honey pool
- - - - - - -ice pool - - - - - - - - - - - - - - normal pool

ocean

- - -underground pool - - - - - - - crimson / corrupt underground pool

underground jungle pool - - - - - underground ice pool -

deep underground pool

Yes, it does take a lot of space.

Working on the best set up. Since most of the fishing 'mules' are going to be naked, have a chest next to the angler with wings, frostspark boots, Magic mirror, best fishing pole you can get (Sitting Duck's is purchasable and BiS until you get the Golden rod), a bunch of bait, and any fishing accessories you've acquired (hat, earring, high-test line, etc). Maybe a Stardust staff to take care of the baddies? Am I missing anything?
Note: I intentionally omit potions, as they'll largely go to waste if the intent is to turn in the quest ASAP.
Edit: If you get a good quest, as in "fish something up in this forest/surface lake that's 5 feet away", use auto-pause to maximize the number of mules that can complete it.

Edit2: Never mind, lol!

Last edited:
Working on the best set up. Since most of the fishing 'mules' are going to be naked, have a chest next to the angler with wings, frostspark boots, Magic mirror, best fishing pole you can get (Sitting Duck's is purchasable and BiS until you get the Golden rod), a bunch of bait, and any fishing accessories you've acquired (hat, earring, high-test line, etc). Maybe a Stardust staff to take care of the baddies? Am I missing anything?
Note: I intentionally omit potions, as they'll largely go to waste if the intent is to turn in the quest ASAP.
But you don't have to have your naked mules fish. They only need to pick up the fish your main fisher guy left behind and give it to the angler kid.

But you don't have to have your naked mules fish. They only need to pick up the fish your main fisher guy left behind and give it to the angler kid.
Oh, did I misunderstand the mechanic? So one character can catch multiple quest fish as long as none are in his inventory?

Oh, did I misunderstand the mechanic? So one character can catch multiple quest fish as long as none are in his inventory?
Yeah, that's the main point. :p
You can put down your safe while fishing and each time you catch a quest fish you put it inside your safe. Then you can catch another, putting it inside the safe.
When you get enough quest fishes you head back to the angler and drop the quest fishes in a separate chest.
Then you can just visit the angler with all your other characters, grab a fish from the chest and give it to the angler.

Yeah, that's the main point. :p
You can put down your safe while fishing and each time you catch a quest fish you put it inside your safe. Then you can catch another, putting it inside the safe.
When you get enough quest fishes you head back to the angler and drop the quest fishes in a separate chest.
Then you can just visit the angler with all your other characters, grab a fish from the chest and give it to the angler.
Doh! Roger that. Reading comprehension fail!

I'm pretty sure you can just put them in a chest, you don't have to use a safe `:rolleyes:
*sigh*
You want all the quest fishes you caught near the player's spawn point, not near where you caught the fish because every other character would need to travel all the way to this chest to pick up one of the fishes, so you need to put them in a safe first, then bring them over to a chest near the player spawn point.
My turn to roll eyes. :rolleyes:

You can actually combine a lot of that and end up with only a few pools. In my current world I have one pool on the surface that has Crimson, Snow, Forrest, Jungle, and Hallow. All of those biomes are setup such that you can fish for each one from within the same fishing hut, just standing in different positions. I have a similar pool at the junction of the underground and cavern layer. At the underground/cavern fishing hut you can do all of the above, plus mushroom if you hop up on a slightly higher platform, and cavern level stuff if you drop down a single tile to the cavern layer. The only extra pools I need aside from those two is floating island,honey, and lava, and those might all be able to fit in the same screen. From there it's just a matter of setting up a teleporter to each.

Yep, you can. I don't think it's worth it though. You'll need to wait for the day to end for him to give another quest anyway, so flying over to a lake a hundred meters away is not much of a problem. It's not much of a time saver so I didn't want to include this.

Personally I only created a sky lake, honey lake and shroom lake near my house because those two are the only annoying ones to get to. Well, apart from the ocean, but can't do much about that. Although perfectionists could live near the beach, create all the lakes there and move the angler there. Seems more trouble than it's worth. :)

*sigh*
You want all the quest fishes you caught near the player's spawn point, not near where you caught the fish because every other character would need to travel all the way to this chest to pick up one of the fishes, so you need to put them in a safe first, then bring them over to a chest near the player spawn point.
My turn to roll eyes. :rolleyes:
Ideally keep a safe and piggy bank by that chest, and of course by every save point/high use teleporter.

Back
Top Bottom