Biomes & Nature Biome Hazards - Additions and improvements to natural "traps."

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
This idea occurred to me when I realized that the Corruption is overgrown with those annoying thorny brambles, whereas the Crimson doesn't have any sort of natural "traps" that the player has to watch out for. Come on. The tunnels in the Crimson are much easier to navigate than Corruption ones. Crimson at least needs a counterpart to those thorns. Anyways, one thing led to another, and I just came up with a variety of natural traps for a few different biomes, as well as changes to existing ones.

I'll get the Crimson one out of the way first. Blister Mines would grow in Crimson grass, which explode and deal 18 damage when stepped on by a player. They also inflict the Ichor debuff for 2-3 seconds, mostly for effect. (If Ichor gets changed to increasing damage taken rather than reducing defense, then I would be confident in having it inflict Ichor for 3-5 seconds instead.) Blister Mines will detonate when mined with a Pickaxe.

Also, while we're handing out debuffs, Corruption Thorns would inflict Weak for 15 seconds and Jungle Thorns would inflict Poisoned for 4-6 seconds. Just because I feel like they should be doing something that lasts beyond touching them. Thorns are usually poisonous, anyways.

Anyways, I've also devised a new hazard for the Underground Ice biome. (Thin ice isn't really cutting it; it's more helpful than harmful if you think about it.) You would occasionally come across Falling Icicles, which (you guessed it) drop and try to impale you when you walk under them. They would deal 14 damage and have a 20% chance to inflict Chilled for 20 seconds. Mining them will a Pickaxe will cause them to fall.

In Hell, you would find naturally occurring Ash Mounds which occasionally erupt in a small a burst of fire that deals 30 damage and inflicts On Fire for 2-5 seconds. Passing overhead also has a 50% chance to cause it to erupt. Pretty simple. Just imagine a Lihzahrd Flame Trap, except it looks like a heap of ash, is altogether less dangerous, points upwards, and goes off randomly. They can be removed with a Pickaxe.

Another thing you would come across in Hell are
26129-063babe67229044916db5dbc2dab90b6.jpg
Volcanic Blocks. Patches of this would form throughout the Underworld, slightly less commonly than Hellstone does. It may not look harmful, but in its natural state, stepping on it will cause it and all others connected to it to ignite into
26130-f51291e4e0a96d92777f9b1273c2caee.jpg
Active Volcanic Block after a small delay, dealing as much damage on contact as Lava (the same way Hellstone and Meteorite used to work), inflicting the Burning debuff while in contact and giving the player a lingering On Fire debuff. Nasty stuff! It deactivates 5 seconds after becoming active. (Inspiration for the idea and sprites are credited to @SilverHexxitFights. Thanks!)

Ash Mounds, Volcanic Blocks, Falling Icicles, and Blister Mines would all be able to be activated with Wire. Ash Mounds that are connected to wire would cease to erupt spontaneously, and Falling Icicles would only fall when activated. Volcanic Blocks will act like Active/Inactive Stone Blocks when wired, except wiring one would be just as effective as wiring the whole patch. I can't decide whether Blister Mines should not activate when stepped on and only when activated with Wire, or if they should act like a one-shot pressure plate with painful consequences.

Yup. Thanks to @Baconfry, I've added crafting recipes so you can use these yourself.

Falling Icicle
Recipe:
Ice_Block.png
Ice Blocks (x2)
@ a Tinkerer's Workshop (like Boulders).

Ash Mound
Recipe:
Ash_Block.png
Ash Block (x5)
Hellstone.png
Hellstone
@ a Work Bench.

Blister Mine
Activate when stepped on by anything, friendly or not.
Recipe:
Ichor.png
Ichor
Crimstone_Block.png
Crimstone (x5)
Red_Pressure_Plate.png
Red Pressure Plates (x10)
@ a Work Bench. Recipe makes 10.

Now for a couple of special hazards for the Desert and Hallow biomes. (You can thank @crackshotCerberus for these!)

Since Corruption and Crimson would both have special hazards, why leave out the Hallow? Unstable Crystals would start growing at the Cavern layer, looking a lot like your usual Crystal except having a slightly red hue. These Unstable Crystals would react in either of two ways: being touched by the player (not fun) or being hit by a stray attack (also not fun... well, it depends on your definition of "fun" really). An unsuspecting player who happens to touch an unstable Crystal will take heavy damage (let's say 60 or so) as well as becoming Silenced and Confused for 7 seconds. A stray attack that strikes an Unstable Crystal will cause the crystal to shatter into shards (like those from the Crystal Shard spell, traveling a considerable distance and bouncing off of walls) dealing 40 damage to a player if they get hit. Dangerous, but also really satisfying when you neutralize it properly.

As for the Desert, it would be cool if there were a new type of Antlion enemy that behaved like antlion larvae in real life, hiding beneath the sand and waiting to ambush prey. Antlion Trappers (or Antlion Lurkers) would spawn just underneath the surface and wait until a player steps on the ground above them before popping out and attacking. Afterwards, they would assume the behavior of some other Antlion (either the original or the Charger... it's undecided) with more damage but less health.

Unlike the others, it wouldn't make sense to have these be crafted (since Crystals are only harmful to players and you don't craft enemies). So that's that.

That's it for the suggestion. Feedback is appreciated! If you have any other ideas, feel free to share them!

Last edited:
I wonder... would it be possible for icicles to fall when triggered by noise? If not, I suppose they can fall when a player is detected underneath them.

Can we make the hazards craftable, too? For PvP and such? That would be pretty cool.

Overall, you're just as compelling as always :dryadhappy:

This is great! Though maybe be a little less harsh on the damage of the blister mine ~12 maybe?
Corruption Thorns deal 10 damage, but since they grow in clusters, you're likely to take damage from them twice. Crimson needs a pretty hefty hazard anyways if it's going to make up for not having deep, dark chasms of falling-to-your-death.

Can we make them craftable, too? For PvP and such? That would be pretty cool.
Sweet! I'll get working on recipes. And I'm definitely adding the ability for all of them to be activated with Wire. :happy:

Last edited:
Cool! I think it would be neat in hell to have something that makes a load of ash collapse into lava. That would be fun. But yeah. That crimson alck of thorns needs changing.
For the ocean, It's pretty easy at the moment. There should be seaweed that when you walk past it has a chance to trap you, and you have to mash space to escape. What do you think?

The Blister Mines should anly inflict Ichor in HM, unless they only spawn at that point, in which case, a pre-HM variant would be needed.

I'm actually really surprised an idea like this didn't come to my head at a point. Anyway, the concept is interesting and neat, even if it means more damage inflicted on the player. I'm liking it, I'm liking it a lot.

very... Very... VERY cool idea you have my full support. Also can i sue this in my mod?

I'm saying that the ash mounds are a useless addition to an already hazardous area (hazardous at least until you get an item or set of armor that makes its damage negligible).

Back
Top Bottom