Weapons & Equip Biome Weapon Project: Snow

How are we doing so far?

• Everything looks great!

Votes: 94 86.2%
  • This makes it so much more difficult to collect every weapon, so I'd rather not see these added.

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • It would be frustrating to try to collect every weapon, but I can live with it.

Votes: 12 11.0%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
The Rain Bow was only the beginning. Together with SzGamer227 and Scarecrow, I'm planning to suggest a melee, ranged, summon, and magic weapon for every biome chest, possibly including a new Underworld Chest.

The plan is that every world will be guaranteed a magic, melee, summon, and ranged biome weapon, chosen at random. That means that you can't collect every biome weapon with only one world. (This proved unpopular; see comments for proposed solution.) But don't worry, we're doing our best to make sure that each and every one of them is well worth the effort.

The project is much too large to confine to a single thread, so I'll be covering each of them in their separate threads.

So let's start with the Snow Biome's Frozen Chest!

cyclonesquall.png

Cyclone Squall
60 melee damage
Shoots out a spinning storm-eye that does not interact with blocks.
The boomerang itself is surrounded by a rapidly spinning ring of eight snowflakes. When the boomerang returns, the ring of snowflakes remains spinning, slowly continuing to travel forward for three seconds before dissipating.

hailstormstaff.png

Hailstorm Rod
48 magic damage
Creates a stationary hailstorm in midair. Two can be placed at a time.
Shoots a constant stream of hailstones at anything within 45 degrees to the left or right below the hailstorm.
Non-piercing.

snowbiomegun.png

Subzero Machine Gun
50 ranged damage
Very fast speed
Autofire
Bullets are converted into Freezing Bullets, and only the damage value is passed down. When a Freezing Bullet impacts against an enemy or wall, it grows into a stationary spiked ice crystal, dealing 30 damage twice to enemies that walk into it.

One more thing:
Staff_of_the_Frost_Hydra_summoned.png

It occurs to me that this guy kinda stinks. Why not let him pierce enemies once and inflict Frostburn?

How is the project looking so far? Remember, guys, we're not done yet!

Last edited:
I'd say it sounds like a great idea, albeit a massive undertaking. I wish to have something clarified though. Do the icicles from the Subzero machine gun disappear over time like the ice rod's blocks? Also, are the icicles solid entities like blocks, or more like the icicles that grow in the snow biome which can be walked through?

I'd say it sounds like a great idea, albeit a massive undertaking. I wish to have something clarified though. Do the icicles from the Subzero machine gun disappear over time like the ice rod's blocks? Also, are the icicles solid entities like blocks, or more like the icicles that grow in the snow biome which can be walked through?
They can be walked through. Just think of them as larger, stationary Spiky Balls.

Idea for a Hallow melee:
Prism spear, fires a random colored, piercing beam that inflics a random debuff (for example,red is ???,orange is fire, yellow is ichor, green is cursed flames, blue is frostburn, purple is venom

This is a good idea, but i can see it turning into the most frustrating RNG-fest ever if there is one particular weapon that you really want but you can't seem to get... Maybe if you could tell what weapon was in the chest before you used a key to open it?

This is a good idea, but i can see it turning into the most frustrating RNG-fest ever if there is one particular weapon that you really want but you can't seem to get... Maybe if you could tell what weapon was in the chest before you used a key to open it?
Maybe each has a different lock, one shaped like a sword, one shaped like a star, one shaped like a bow? or just have one type spawn depending on dungeon color (requires 3 worlds, but will allow you to choose)

Hmm. RNG seemed to be a viable concern among the people who replied. Before I go to bed, what do you think of scattering the twelve remaining biome chests across the entire world during world gen? They can occupy their own mini-biomes. This solves the concerns about not being able to obtain everything on a single world, if not the complaints about grinding for Keymolds.
sounds like a very good idea actually. should these mini biomes provide some challenge though? because getting through the hardmode dungeon isn't exactly easy.

I think this idea can turn out to be really good, especially when you finish the project, I hope to see more of your work soon!

The whole idea of these all the joint suggestion works really well. Would there be some way of guaranteeing that you get at least one of each class of weapon per world?
I'm looking forward to the crimson suggestion.

First think I'd like to point out is, god that format is beautiful. The concept and the potential expansion of the concept itself is nice and actually quite original. If this were implemented in-game, I definitely wouldn't mind having these nice and balanced weapons in my arsenal.

You had me until the picking classes at random. Key molds are a 1 in 2,500 chance to get, do you know how freaking frustrating it is to get one of the keys and find out that you didn't get the weapon of the class you wanted? They should give you all 4 of the weapons in one chest since the probability of getting the mold that actually gives the class you want is 1 in 10,000, and that's WAY too high! Another thing to realise is that in a paticular world, there is one chest for each class. Crimson/corruption is melee (You can only get one of those in any world), ice is summoner, jungle is ranged, and hallow is magic, so the original idea of the thread to make the chests fair to all classes doesn't even really need to be in the game. So, no support.

*sorry, I have to snip this*
In our conversation, it was discussed that the remaining biome chests might be scattered in minibiomes around the entire world.

And some of the decorations within the minibiomes might indicate what class of weapon is inside. Thus, you know exactly what's in each chest.

Let me know if that solves your concerns.

In our conversation, it was discussed that the remaining biome chests might be scattered in minibiomes around the entire world.

And some of the decorations within the minibiomes might indicate what class of weapon is inside. Thus, you know exactly what's in each chest.

I guess that improves it a bit, but I still think it would be annoying having to find a lot of minibiomes to sometimes find the weapon you need. The weapons are awesome and if they were added in some other way I would love them, but RNG is something we need less of, not more of.

I'm going to agree with ethanciavo on this one for his rarity argument... While the weapons here are all great design wise you are runing off a concept taht is quite brutal. Currently teh biome chest is one per world and the key molds are fairly rare (though not unobtainable)

Currently with this suggestion you introduce the problem of "wasting" a rare key getting a weapon you don't want instead. For all intents and purposes this is like sugesting to make the enchanted sword even rarer as we now add world gen RNG to the picture...

Additionally they fail one of the standards that makes biome weapons unique. Each of the biome chests follows a unique archtype rather than being a sword boomerang gun bow or any other particular variant. While each of these weapons are good they are too standardized to be biome chest items.

Next is the question what does this add to the game? As of now Biome chest weapons serve the role of providing crowd control to aid the dungeon notable there is one weapon for each of the main classes all of which are quite good in the dungeon but suffer in other combat areas In short they augment a classes ability to fight in the hardmode dungeon. Conversely some of these such as the Cyclone Squall and Hailstrom Rod don't really fit in here in this regard.

In short this suggestion feels out of place, as itmakes Terraria more tedious in multiple ways and is wholly unnecessary providing little benefit to the game.

All of you are some of our best suggesters which is why it pains me to say no to something you have put so much effort and brainstorming into but I can not support this suggestion as it ruins the integrity of Terraria as is.

However there are ways to make it work... what if you made the biome chests spawn in their own "rooms" featuring the 4 chest all in the same room? If so I can join in the keys aren't the problem as they can be grinded world gen is the problem (I am tired of making thousands of worlds for something that may or may not spawn in the world...)

hmm looks like you posted this afterwards... It certainly an improvement as long as i can know each item is in the world I can accept it...

Woah this boomerang type wepon would be great for my melee class, absolutely great idea i love it.

I like the idea of the different dungeon chest items, because there's really no excitement in finding the dungeon chests anymore for me.

Back
Top Bottom