tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.7%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,584 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Behold the problem with this mod. The fanbase is a bunch of tough guys who respond to all notes of difficulty with "Well I can do it, so you need to get better!" while simultaniously posting on the discord about how everything is too easy so it needs buffed. This is exactly why Devourer of Gods is often posted about, all its weaknesses were patched out because these guys keep saying it's too easy to do x strategy, and now it's all but unthinkable for a blind player to approach.

...Still, part of this is intentional. Drew has stated a number of times that his bosses are supposed to be harder than vanilla ones, and that they follow their own difficulty scaling. Expect to run into this a lot, Cryogen's going to be a harder kill than any mech, and if you think you're bagging Calamitas before Plantera without a ton of prep and plan, you'd best get to the prepping and planning, because THAT ain't happening.

I also believe Calamity's bosses don't scale like vanilla as far as expert/normal goes. The Normal mode fights are only slightly weaker than the expert variations, so in normal mode the power gap is even MORE pronounced, AND you don't get the boosted defense effect you otherwise would have.

What it all boils down to is, get used to this, but don't get complacent. This mod was balanced in part by a prideful handful of loyalists who think the content needs to be as punishing as possible, because the mod author wanted to make content that was tougher than usual. It's far from a perfect package, so while you should keep in mind that Calamity bosses are supposed to be pretty tough, there ARE bits here where it was way, way overdone. Like Devourer of Gods. Who was, at least a few updates ago, virtually impossible to beat without fighting in extremely specific ways.
Reminds me of how the dark souls fanbase defends the game's difficulty saying "Git gud" and "Don't play dark souls if you want an easy mode". And to be honest, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Most people who've complained about bosses being difficult, eventually got around to beating said bosses and joining the "bunch of tough guys" that demanded the bosses to be buffed. So I don't so anything wrong with keeping the difficulty high as long as it's not impossible.

I myself don't mind the difficult bosses in this mod (although I haven't fought them all yet, but I fought up to Plaguebringer) as I find that when I played vanilla I always killed the bosses for my first time on my second or third try (except Moon Lord, I needed 5 or so for that one). This mod supplies difficult enemies that present exhilarating fights and nice rewards for them, as well as a method of making the game even hard for yourself, PtD and PtC modes, that also provide special rewards as well as breathe some more life into those earlier game bosses that you would otherwise never fight again.

I am sorry, it mustn't be here, i know, but anyone know how to fix it? It happeneds if i want to go windowed or roll up the fullscreen.

Attachments

• Без імені.png
    Без імені.png
    885 KB · Views: 219
well hive mind/perforators aren't meant to be just variants of the bosses, they are a step further in the progression and are meant to be harder than their counterparts, they are very beatable at the time they are supposed to be fought and they are much easier than they used to be.

Yes, but you see, it still isn't balanced even when you consider Calamity bosses by themselves.

Slime God is 3x easier than Hive Mind, even though Slime God is supposed to be after Hive Mind. Not only is Slime God easier than Hive Mind, but it also drops better stuff than Hive Mind.

This is not balanced, at all.

Reminds me of how the dark souls fanbase defends the game's difficulty saying "Git gud" and "Don't play dark souls if you want an easy mode". And to be honest, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Most people who've complained about bosses being difficult, eventually got around to beating said bosses and joining the "bunch of tough guys" that demanded the bosses to be buffed. So I don't so anything wrong with keeping the difficulty high as long as it's not impossible.

Unlike a lot of people..

A). I don't worship challenge/people who overcome challenge,
B). I care about game balance and when something isn't balanced right, it annoys me.

And for the reasons I just stated above, Hive Mind is not balanced.

IMO, to fix Hive Mind (it's a good boss, don't get me wrong), is to...

1). Make the brains that do rain Expert-Only,
2). Reduce its damage output by 5-10.

That would make it slighly easier than Slime God, which makes sense.

Providence's theme is due for a change, we've just yet to find something to replace it with. (or rather, actually look for.)
Like Devourer of Gods. Who was, at least a few updates ago, virtually impossible to beat without fighting in extremely specific ways.

DoG has recently gotten a huge "nerf" in form of his "flying" phase. every 15 secconds he enters a flying phase, which is very exploitable since he doesn't follow you during it.

Calamity's also formed as a mod by veterans of terraria, some of which have spent upwards of over 5000+ hours with the game, and want more challenge out of it.
Plus, vanilla balance is already broken, so really dont expect us to balance around something that has none. (I dont know about you but i've never had issues with the hivemind and slimegod kicks my :red: on a regular)

We'll consider making the bosses easier in normal mode, though; almost all testers and frequent players do it in expert, as normal terraria has become too easy for most.

Last edited:
We'll consider making the bosses easier in normal mode, though; almost all testers and frequent players do it in expert, as normal terraria has become too easy for most.

That would help a huge deal, I'd think.

Now, maybe after a few Normal runs, a player who doesn't normally do Expert might find the progression between Normal Vanilla -> Normal Calamity -> Expert Vanilla -> Expert Calamity to be more smooth.

It would make sense to make the bosses of Normal Calamity to be a bit more reasonable. Slightly harder than Normal Vanilla, sure. That's understandable. But not Expert Vanilla hard.

Maybe after a run or two of Normal Calamity, I might dip my toes into Expert Vanilla and might actually do half decently.

Providence's theme is due for a change, we've just yet to find something to replace it with. (or rather, actually look for.)

DoG has recently gotten a huge "nerf" in form of his "flying" phase. every 15 secconds he enters a flying phase, which is very exploitable since he doesn't follow you during it.

Calamity's also formed as a mod by veterans of terraria, some of which have spent upwards of over 5000+ hours with the game, and want more challenge out of it.
Plus, vanilla balance is already broken, so really dont expect us to balance around something that has none.

I believe I have round 700 hours in the game, and since expert mode was released, I've pretty much never played on normal worlds. I only really use normal worlds on my main vanilla world where I have a huge base and a ton of items (my very first one) and if I need to in modded, like when I found expert DoG to be extremely difficult many months back and tried fighting it in normal mode. I haven't gotten to that point in the game again as I don't play super consistently and experiment with other neat little mods, so I like just starting from scratch and also don't know how DoG is right now.

@Xylia , Yeah, expert is quite challenging, I won't lie. I tried doing a couple runs with a few different friends in expert mode and we didn't get too far. I feel I began to do fairly well once I got used to it, but others found it too difficult and we didn't get too far upon entering hard-mode. Anyways, it is unfortunate that the normal mode Hive Mind is very difficult for you. It's not a very easy fight in expert mode either (last time I fought it it had an immobile stage one, not sure if that was changed or not). Easing up the bosses a bit in normal mode should hopefully help out a lot.

And in my opinion... The perforators are way better. Much cooler fight for me, although they are also pretty tough.

If you have it in your thick skull that this mod WASN'T balanced by ME, MYSELF, AND I then you are dead wrong my friends.

I make the balance decisions. And in the end I want the player to EARN their wins.

*blinks*

Wow, what's with the 'tude?

Is that really necessary? And I note that you failed to address how/why later bosses are easier than bosses that came before them (not counting vanilla bosses, again using Slime God as an example).

But whatever. I think I'll probably at this point bow out, because you know... I make a whole post of constructive feedback, with analysis and other stuff and the response is nothing short of arrogant attitude with self-pride for no real reason.

I really don't get why expert players have to act like that, to be quite honest.

*blinks*

Is that really necessary? And I note that you failed to address how/why later bosses are easier than bosses that came before them (not counting vanilla bosses, again using Slime God as an example).

But whatever. I think I'll probably at this point bow out, because you know... I make a whole post of constructive feedback, with analysis and other stuff and the response is nothing short of arrogant attitude with self-pride for no real reason.

I really don't get why expert players have to act like that, to be quite honest.
it depends on seperate player's playstyles, for example i find slime god to be quite a bit tougher than hive mind in various situations, it all depends on how you set up for the fight and if you're prepared for the fight and whatnot, you could fight hive mind with molten armor if you wanted, it's all up to you and how YOU want to play :dryadsmile:

There is a Youtuber named "Gungir" who does modded Terraria expert boss guides. He has done one on Providence, so I'd recommend him.

Got curious and looked at myself. It was an alright guide, but for the most part it basically just came down to strategies and basically using what works best for you and that's pretty much how any game works. Still helpful for people, though. XD

*blinks*

Its the stress talking, he's been up for a few days trying to update the mod to the following tmodloader version, and it's not very fun because of all that changed.
Speaking of, If all goes well our update should be ready for 1.3.5 soon.

Its the stress talking, he's been up for a few days trying to update the mod to the following tmodloader version, and it's not very fun because of all that changed.
Speaking of, If all goes well our update should be ready for 1.3.5 soon.

Mmmh.

I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but that kind of attitude really turns me off, Fast.

I find it highly grating on the nerves and I usually have a very low patience for it. But I'll try and hold my peace for now.

Believe me when I say that the new TModLoader changes have been rather nasty.

Anyways, as said before, Calamity bosses aren't a simple case of "grind stats, beat stronger bosses". Unlike how you could spam Death Sickle on Plantera and do the same thing with Golem and Cultist, how you fight each boss changes differently, and equipment doesn't really change that unless you decide to make yourself OP.

A lot of people who try to use the same tactics for Providence to defeat the Devourer for example, are in for a lot of crying.

Please point out where I said I was trying to do that?

I am pretty sure I noted that your tools and choices of strategy for that point in the game (Pre-Skeletron) is very limited to deal with the Hive Mind's various mechanics that he has, AND the fact you don't have much control over where to spawn him in the first place, as he is spawned by a randomly-spawning mob that is killed to spawn the boss himself.

This makes attempting to build an arena difficult, as you gotta build the arena around the enemy, or build the arena and keep moving in an out of the area until you get lucky and it spawns within your arena, OR fight his first phase as close to the arena as possible and then try to drag his second phase into said arena.

And then, the lack of Knockback Immunity Pre-Skeletron doesn't help matters either, and the weapons you have access to pre-Skeletron aren't all that great when dealing with an enemy like Hive Mind (It would help if the Storm Surge's projectiles had better hit detection, I've missed plenty of times when I shouldn't have), and to top it all off, the player's defenses are just not good enough for a mob that deals 40-50 damage per hit (you can reduce this with Molten Armor, but then again, that's sequence breaking/overgearing/stat grinding which you said one should not be doing).

This boss would be fine, if it were placed in the progression to be, say, right before the Wall of Flesh, but Pre-Skeletron? The boss has mechanics that you need stuff from later in the progression to overcome.

The boss feels about right once you get a Cobalt Shield and an Eldritch Tome which is why I point the blame at a lack of KB Immunity and the lack of a good AoE weapon.

Back
Top Bottom