tModLoader Calamity Mod

What would you like me to create more of?

• NPCs (enemies, house NPCs, etc.)

Votes: 1,170 19.5%
  • Bosses

Votes: 2,450 40.7%
  • Items (Accessories, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 1,584 26.3%
  • Vanity (furniture, armor sets, etc.)

Votes: 438 7.3%
  • Mineable Stuff (Ores, Blocks, etc.)

Votes: 372 6.2%

• Total voters
Ok,
"It's supposed to be rewarding when you get past the bull:red: mechanics!"

I'm going to reference a certain game that does what I'm trying to say has been done by the rest of the mod, and has not been done in that fight.

Dark Souls bosses, for a majority of their existence, are built entirely around the player and their ability to dodge, time and cope with the difficulty they are placed in. Each one of them can be incredibly hard, unforgettably grueling, and getting through their fight in the end usually leaves you with relief rather than joy. However, the thing I personally admire most about these bosses is that (again, a majority of) them do not pull random mechanics out of nowhere that you have never dealt with before, and the mechanics that are introduced for that boss fight alone are still built in such a way that either the environment you fight them in (such as the arena) can help you with defeating them, or there are very evident, telltale signs that such a thing will be used by them. This can lead to players that have never fought the boss before performing in such a way that they can accomplish a victory in their very first attempt.

Terraria, and this mod by extension, is not very different with how bosses are designed. A majority of the bosses in this mod alone are built around allowing the player to understand and deal with the mechanics they find, either because they've experienced them in a less dangerous, calmer setting prior, such as the Devourer's laser portals that are summoned by one of his Sentinels, or they are very obvious in what they change, such as the Devourer's laser walls, or his ability to invert gravity and switch between passive and aggressive modes. These mechanics are built to be very difficult, yet very fair. Several other bosses feature mechanics like these in this mod, and even in the game itself, as the Moon Lord will make it very evident when he's using his phantasmal laser, and he does not direct it onto you the moment he fires it, allowing you to either fail to deal with the set up, or avoid taking damage that will likely kill you instantly, especially in Expert.

And then Supreme Calamitas, with no warning or setup, introduces an unfair mechanic the player has never seen in any boss prior in this mod or the game itself, killing you instantly even if you are able to cope with everything else she's introduced on top of this (an arena of blocks, the bullet hells, the everlasting monstrous moon orb things, Sepulcher itself.) Each and every other mechanic is introduced to you in waves, as the fight literally begins with a bullet hell, and they progressively amp up their difficulty as you progress further into the fight. Even her brothers have been introduced to you before in the first Calamitas fight, making you aware entirely that she will likely summon them in the Supreme Calamitas battle.

Instant death by a hit counter, however... not so much. Do you really have to question why we believe it to be unfair, or out of nowhere? The fact that this thing exists doesn't define it as a super-boss by any standards; tacking on random effects, buffs and mechanics that make the game frustrating doesn't define it as harder, it just makes it more frustrating. Difficulty can be achieved by literally any other method than this. And as stated by a user above me, not very long ago...

Imagine if you've fought all your life with a sword, against people that have also used swords. You're used to them using swords, some bigger, some smaller. But they've always been swords, and you've adapted to this; your entire life has been this.

Supreme Calamitas takes out a shotgun and just shoots you. It isn't hard to beat her, it's just stupid.

Yeah, I can agree that Supreme Calamitas's is about as bull:red: as Borderlands 2's seraph crystals.

what are seraph crystals you ask? you use them to buy seraph weapons, which are pretty much buyable legendaries.

how do you get them, oh ho. That's the BS part. you need to kill raid bosses on the Ultimate Vault hunter mode, which is the hardest difficulty where everything will scale to your level no matter what. Now imagine doing that ALONE. I've only managed to do it using exploits.

Atleast Scal gives you enough essence to get pretty much everything, you gotta kill raid bosses like 5-10 times to even get enough seraph crystals to buy just 1 item.

It should go without saying I felt so angry this content was locked off to me, I installed Cheat Engine and Got a BL2 trainer to bypass this.

Ok,

Yeah, I can agree that Supreme Calamitas's is about as bull:red: as Borderlands 2's seraph crystals.

what are seraph crystals you ask? you use them to buy seraph weapons, which are pretty much buyable legendaries.

how do you get them, oh ho. That's the BS part. you need to kill raid bosses on the Ultimate Vault hunter mode, which is the hardest difficulty where everything will scale to your level no matter what. Now imagine doing that ALONE. I've only managed to do it using exploits.

Atleast Scal gives you enough essence to get pretty much everything, you gotta kill raid bosses like 5-10 times to even get enough seraph crystals to buy just 1 item.

It should go without saying I felt so angry this content was locked off to me, I installed Cheat Engine and Got a BL2 trainer to bypass this.

"This game's bull:red: is less bull:red: than this other game's bull:red: so it's okay."

If you were given a massive pile of rotten meat versus two massive rotten piles of meat, you may be more appreciative... but not if you could instead have one pile of actually good material that isn't absolutely horrid.

The fact that another game has either this problem or a worse problem doesn't excuse this one, especially if such a problem has deserved to be fixed for quite some time. Quite happy it will be soon, honestly.

Consider what you get for defeating the other 2 known "super bosses" in modded terraria, one gives super weapons, the other gives litteral godmode.

Scal gives you the ultimate reward of your choosing as well. And it's beatable.

Unlike Ascendant Chibi Devourer. Which is not only impossible to beat without cheat weapons. But kills you if you even defeat it and drops nothing.
direct your hate to that boss, not SCal.
PS: This

EDIT: I think at the root of this is the fact that alot of Terraria is very casual and seems to fail to realize, that Calamity is a mod made in the light of the Souls Series, it rewards you for proving your skill, and gives you nothing if you can't.

Hello everyone!
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I have a problem with mod.
Whenever the world generation is near the end, this error message pops-up:
https://imgur.com/EhDVIYJ
From my experience this seems to only happen on large worlds (and possibly medium worlds).
If anyone knows a fix, (other than disabling Calamity or creating small worlds), then please let me know!
Any help is appreciated!
(The black parts are just generic text, like "A system error has occured")

Hello everyone!
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I have a problem with mod.
Whenever the world generation is near the end, this error message pops-up:
https://imgur.com/EhDVIYJ
From my experience this seems to only happen on large worlds (and possibly medium worlds).
If anyone knows a fix, (other than disabling Calamity or creating small worlds), then please let me know!
Any help is appreciated!
(The black parts are just generic text, like "A system error has occured")
Try Small worlds, I think calamity is just generally broken in medium and up right now.

Consider what you get for defeating the other 2 known "super bosses" in modded terraria, one gives super weapons, the other gives litteral godmode.
I don't even know what bosses you're talking about.
Yes, we all know that. Whether SCal is beatable is not the question we are discussing. We are discussing whether SCal's mechanics constitute real difficulty or fake difficulty. In this case, I'm of the opinion that the hit cap and minimum damage thing are fake difficulty.

Other mods are not relevant to this discussion, especially not troll mods.
Alright, I guess that's fine. May I ask is there any way to report this bug and does it have any chance for a fix?
Sadly, I don't think that there is one unless you have a Discord account, since MountainDrew basically doesn't come to this site any more.

Idk why people saying that supreme calamitas is unfair and bull s**t. She's a superboss and pretty hard to mastered the fight. If you upset on her just use cheat sheet butcher function lol

Idk why people saying that supreme calamitas is unfair and bull s**t. She's a superboss and pretty hard to mastered the fight. If you upset on her just use cheat sheet butcher function lol
uh wtf
first of all the butcher function doesnt work
second of all shes not a superboss she just has a bunch of bs gimmick mechanics that give her non-real difficulty and make it pointless to even try to fight her without overpowered gear
also the chibii devourer is a fun boss and can be beaten if you have half-decent gear
and the lorde is just pathetic tbh
finally, the verboten one is best girl

I just got an idea! What if DoG’s Second Phase got renamed Devourer of Universes and A GOD DOES NOT FEAR DEATH!” gets replaced with “NO! I AM ONE ABOVE ALL I WILL CONSUME YOUR UNIVERSE!”? Also what if Yharon and the Cultist’s Second Phases got remamed Dragon God, Yharon and Ancient Doomsayer? Basically, give them their future boss names and quotes, but ONLY the names and quotes!

It would probably never happen, but it’s a cool idea!

i think those just were testing ground or something, perhaps to check on ways to make their regular versions more challenging (y tho?). current boss related stuff should be funneled into adding the last missing bosses/superbosses + whatever they want to plan to do with the Planetoids

Technically it is possible for a human being to run through a massive field of mines he cannot see entirely unharmed. Does this make it fair, just because he can get through it? If I had to do this, there is literally nothing in the world you could give me that'd make me want to, even if I could revive like one does in Terraria.

Beyond that... why would I care about those rewards?

EDIT: I think at the root of this is the fact that alot of Terraria is very casual and seems to fail to realize, that Calamity is a mod made in the light of the Souls Series, it rewards you for proving your skill, and gives you nothing if you can't.

Alright then. Let me use Dark Souls one more time, since you've decided to.

There is a superboss you can fight in Dark Souls 3 that happens to be my favourite boss of all time within that game based on my progress, at least concerning the way the fight is structured, and disregarding emotional factors. This boss is known as The Nameless King.

His health is absolutely massive, and almost every other boss in the entire game, DLCs included, is unable to match up to it. That, and the damage he deals allows for little to no room for error, as two or three successive swings is enough to kill you, and some attacks from both his first and second phase can or will kill you instantly, if you do not dodge. It is immensely hard to do certain things one could do before to take advantage of this, and there is very little methods available to cheese this boss. His poise is immense (you cannot and will not stagger him with damage, opening him up for extra hits), and both the first phase and second phase are very hard to stun, therefore making relying on a riposte (a critical hit of immense damage) very unreliable, but not unachieveable.

Does this not sound familiar? Supreme Calamitas herself has damage so massive already that getting hit 3-4 times will kill you, especially if you cannot heal in between these hits. She allows little to no room for error, and her health is incredibly high, lengthening this fight oftentimes to spans of several minutes, sometimes over 10 in unlucky cases.

However, there's a very specific reason I love the Nameless King, and a specific reason I absolutely hate Supreme Calamitas.

Every single attack the Nameless King deals is meant to be dodged. Relying on blocking his attacks is a very stupid idea, as he'll drain your stamina so fast with successive hits and crush your health despite this, due to the fact his damage is absolutely incredible. His attacks are telegraphed, yet still somewhat unpredictable, as they should be. No boss in Dark Souls relies on immense predictability, which is something you've grown accustomed to. If you do not dodge successfully, you are smacked around unforgiveably and likely killed because of your single, or very few, mistakes that you've made. Upon trying to Estus, he will oftentimes charge you, or commit some sort of ranged attack that is meant to knock you off your guard and deplete all of the health you've attempted to regain, meaning you have to time it correctly.

Everything about that fight is truly a testament of skill, wit and capability. Damage is irrelevant due to his immense health, meaning the fight will likely take just as long as anything else, no matter what kind of weapon you decide to use. Everything you've dealt with thus far can be seen in this fight, especially if you've gone through the entire series, or at least the first game, fighting bosses such as Gwyn, who features a few attacks similar to what is used in the second phase, or even the final boss of the third game itself, who features similar, but far less punishing tactics. All of these things featured in this fight are things you've dealt with before to some degree, and those that aren't are made very clear. Your room for error, however, is made so small that making a mistake is what kills you, making this boss immensely difficult and oftentimes feared when fighting, and those who have beat this boss even on their own are often respected to some degree above the typical player. Those who do so with challenges, such as SL1 only, or Deprived, are often seen as quite incredible in the community.

Supreme Calamitas features certain aspects in this fight that I can acknowledge as good. The damage, room for error, ability to throw you into a situation you're uncomfortable with, but not unfamiliar with... all of these things are present.

Except the hit counter.

Terraria is not about dodging everything perfectly. This game is not based around that at its very core. While it is enforced you should dodge attacks and minimize your damage as much as possible, this game is comparable in some aspects to a light bullet hell, even before Calamity was introduced. (Take a look at Plantera, or the Moon Lord, or the Lunatic Cultist.) However, it is not BUILT to be a bullet hell in the aspect of a hit counter. This is why you're allowed to heal, and this is why a majority of this game's skill is based around timing your healing, making sure you're using the best level of potions to heal, having accessories that minimize the time between when you can heal, surviving until your next heal, minimizing your damage as much as you can so when you heal next, you regain more of your health bar, etc.

Now, let's pose this situation. You've played this game with this in mind the entire time, timing your heals perfectly and making sure the damage you take can be negated as much as you can. The times you have died so far are to damage, and you've learned to avoid most of the attacks, knowing you've only gotten hit 19 times so far. So far, you're doing great, and you've recovered from this very well in the times you have been hit. Right now, you're halfway into the fight.

You take one more hit, unintentionally.

Now, if this was a proper superboss, your health would be massively impacted, as you'd lose probably nearly half of your health in this single blow, or a certain third. This, knowing your health by this time in Calamity, is a massive number for damage against you. However, you'd still have quite a lot of health left, meaning it's up to your judgement to heal or not, or continue to wait. Perhaps you've already recently healed, and you have about 30 seconds on the clock. This means the expert Terraria player would be able to make a proper judgement and up his anti for a moment, focusing on dodging far more than before, and keeping tabs on when they can and can't heal to try and recover this damage.

And then you die to a feature that's never been introduced at any point in the 34 bosses you've fought thus far and won against, all of your progress being eliminated because the developers behind creating this boss have decided to make healing practically useless, introducing a feature that simply does not work with how Terraria is built for no good reason.

This doesn't constitute being difficult. This is not a test of your skills thus far, it is a test of if you're willing to dedicate hours to a reward you can only gain very minimal satisfaction out of, as now difficulty is rendered entirely void upon defeating her. Of course, you get your reward, but the real question is... does that really make it worth it, gaining an overpowered weapon you can't necessarily use for anything else from that point on?

Again, referencing Dark Souls, as you have, the effort you put it does equal the reward you come out of it with. But unlike Dark Souls, Supreme Calamitas does not rely on your ability to work with the game because of this one arbitrary feature, and the rewards you reap from such a thing leave you stranded, at the very top of it all, swinging a weapon you won't use for very much longer before starting a new playthrough that renders your progress in that fight, and the reward you got from it, entirely useless.

After you defeat the Nameless King you can either get his cool weapon or one of his immensely powerful spells, in which you can start New Game+ with and test your skills even further, or use that weapon or miracle to destroy people in PvP, which constantly remains a challenge and continues to remain balanced due to the game being structured to allow you to do these things. The benefits far outweigh the boss by these standards.

uh wtf
first of all the butcher function doesnt work
second of all shes not a superboss she just has a bunch of bs gimmick mechanics that give her non-real difficulty and make it pointless to even try to fight her without overpowered gear
also the chibii devourer is a fun boss and can be beaten if you have half-decent gear
and the lorde is just pathetic tbh
finally, the verboten one is best girl
Wut? I remember that she can be butchered and just drops healing potions and nothing else regardless by difficulty

Wut? I remember that she can be butchered and just drops healing potions and nothing else regardless by difficulty
Supreme Calamitas can be butchered, but as you said, they only drop Healing Potions, completely removing any reason why you’d want to butcher them in the first place, like getting any actually worthwhile loot.

In my opinion, the only thing SC needs to be a good superboss is no hit cap, but 10 to 25% more damage. I can't think of any superboss that uses an insta-death feature that can't be dodged. Maybe it's just that I haven't fought many superbosses but that is just what I've seen.

In my opinion, the only thing SC needs to be a good superboss is no hit cap, but 10 to 25% more damage. I can't think of any superboss that uses an insta-death feature that can't be dodged. Maybe it's just that I haven't fought many superbosses but that is just what I've seen.

Yes please! That's about all I feel is necessary

I hope that when I finally get Calamity they maybe change her back to her original behavior where she is literally a powered up Calamitas Doppelgänger; that would be super cool!

I’ve looked everywhere including the wiki but can’t find any notes of it. I’m currently having an issue where the damaging/self-healing aura of the core of the blood god isn’t working on any multiplayer worlds, only single player. I’m still getting the stats such as the increased health and damage (though the damage reduction is harder to see in revengeance) Does anyone know of a way to fix this issue? Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom