Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two types of bug with worm AI mobs:
  • Some have to be killed by a head shot or they don't show up on the tally, this is why Crawltipedes are stuck at 0, as they can only be killed by hitting their tail. Bone serpents, giant worms, tomb crawlers and dune splicers are also on this list
  • Some worms are showing KCA, but they still drop banners. I had the same issue with devourers but then I killed one and got it's banner.
@Cyberra sharknados are great against worms while fishing as they act like a forcefield as the worm ploughs into you.

Then that should be fixed. For all worms. Because that's just stupid.

@Loki I had a blood moon today and harpies were spawning as low as 315', surface layer. That's within sight of the ground in my jungle biome (I was looking for Doctor Bones spawns).

a single Disorganized, Uncategorized scrolling list that shows THREE items onscreen at any time

One more bumper tap brings up the crafting grid - which is more to my liking on gamepad for sure.

@Loki I had a blood moon today and harpies were spawning as low as 315', surface layer. That's within sight of the ground in my jungle biome (I was looking for Doctor Bones spawns).

Almost has to be a Legacy World bug... or something that Engine had coded into those old world sizes. Will share with the PW guys. You are sure it is a medium world, yeah?

here are two types of bug with worm AI mobs:
  • Some have to be killed by a head shot or they don't show up on the tally, this is why Crawltipedes are stuck at 0, as they can only be killed by hitting their tail. Bone serpents, giant worms, tomb crawlers and dune splicers are also on this list
  • Some worms are showing KCA, but they still drop banners. I had the same issue with devourers but then I killed one and got it's banner.

Thanks for this - it is intriguing. I will share the additional info.

EDIT: Apparently, this was also a bug/thing in PC 1.3.0.7... that was not fixed until 1.3.1. I keep forgetting the list of fixes we had in 1.3.1... so this one may be a case of the port bringing along the issue with it.

Last edited:
One more bumper tap brings up the crafting grid - which is more to my liking on gamepad for sure.

-If it's accepted that the crafting menu is bad, why not fix it rather than stack on a second crafting menu that only serves to clutter the screen further and make crafting a slower more tiresome process?

-Why have two compromised crafting menus?

-How is this a better system than the old crafting UI?

-If it's accepted that the crafting menu is bad, why not fix it rather than stack on a second crafting menu that only serves to clutter the screen further and make crafting a slower more tiresome process?

-Why have two compromised crafting menus?

-How is this a better system than the old crafting UI?
Because this UI was designed with a mouse in mind. Controller use was grafted in later and instead of taking the hard road of redesigning the UI to accommodate controller use they simply patched in band aid solutions.

The priority of this port has been on achieving feature parity with PC. That means the focus was on making things the same without consideration for why it's harder to use on controller.

Most of the limitations of the new UI can be gotten around by using autopause or having friends watch your back. The most important thing they added in with controller support on PC was a radial hotbar, which the console version hasn't gotten yet. We sorely need that feature, and soon. I agree that the biggest limitation of the current UI is the crafting interface. Fixing it would require the devs to admit that it isn't going to be able to work without a major overhaul of at least some of the interface.

Last edited:
Almost has to be a Legacy World bug... or something that Engine had coded into those old world sizes. Will share with the PW guys. You are sure it is a medium world, yeah?

Thanks for this - it is intriguing. I will share the additional info.

EDIT: Apparently, this was also a bug/thing in PC 1.3.0.7... that was not fixed until 1.3.1. I keep forgetting the list of fixes we had in 1.3.1... so this one may be a case of the port bringing along the issue with it.

It was created a large world, but now it says "medium" right there on the world select screen. I assume that has something to do with the change to world gen and world size with the 1.3 update.

Yeah, it said somewhere on the wiki that the thing with crawltipedes was a bug. Maybe the fix will be an easy port, too?

It isn't "stacking on a second menu", it is an option for whichever you prefer based on the situation

I tend to use the grid when crafting, say, from a chest where I have tons of options and I use the "list" when field crafting torches and the like.

Going to repeat it once again, the old UI is *not* coming back. Totally hear that some people want that. Just not happening though. Tweaks to what is here, sure. Old one, nope.

I mean I hadn't even played Terraria with a controller much since initial console launch and yet I've pretty much fully adapted to it during my playthrough - even the menus. I just have it mapped out in my head how many taps in which direction gets me where. I get that it is new and different, but "horribly broken and unplayable"? Not even remotely close in my opinion. (which I am sure is biased :p)

The stuff around transparency and the like, now those are some real issues that need to be handled, and the PW team was so close with this update but not quite there.

It was created a large world, but now it says "medium" right there on the world select screen. I assume that has something to do with the change to world gen and world size with the 1.3 update.

Yeah, it almost has to be something with the way Engine coded it on old worlds. I would love to have a few others corroborate this. I still need to get my old 360 hooked up to try and get my old worlds over.

Yeah, it said somewhere on the wiki that the thing with crawltipedes was a bug. Maybe the fix will be an easy port, too?

I suspect there are a handful of issues that will be "fixed" once later updates hit... because any issues that were in the ported version

Can you post an image of this radial hotbar? I can't find one online, just complaints about how bad it is. @Loki is this something else we'll have to get used to in the future?

Not sure how having an additional hotbar option is bad (I quite like it once you get used to it - it makes navigating to what you need way faster), but I do think it will be added in the future. Again, it is just an option (the existing tabbing hotbar and dpad options don't go away). On mine, I have it set to click in the stick and then you pick what you want. (Screen is from PC version below)

20180327102409_1.jpg

It isn't "stacking on a second menu", it is an option for whichever you prefer based on the situation

I tend to use the grid when crafting, say, from a chest where I have tons of options and I use the "list" when field crafting torches and the like.

Going to repeat it once again, the old UI is *not* coming back. Totally hear that some people want that. Just not happening though. Tweaks to what is here, sure. Old one, nope.

I mean I hadn't even played Terraria with a controller much since initial console launch and yet I've pretty much fully adapted to it during my playthrough - even the menus. I just have it mapped out in my head how many taps in which direction gets me where. I get that it is new and different, but "horribly broken and unplayable"? Not even remotely close in my opinion. (which I am sure is biased :p)

The stuff around transparency and the like, now those are some real issues that need to be handled, and the PW team was so close with this update but not quite there.
If it can't even be admitted that the current UI is inadequate (or even is a problem) then there's no hope for Terraria on console. Thankyou for letting me know that I can safely keep it uninstalled.

I have it set to click in the stick and then you pick what you want.
I use the "stick click" to summon my mounts, so that won't work for me. Will there be an option to retain the current hotbar?
If it can't even be admitted that the current UI is inadequate (or even is a problem) then there's no hope for Terraria on console. Thankyou for letting me know that I can safely keep it uninstalled.
It doesn't take long to get used to, and in many ways it's better. There were a couple of navigation oversights and redundancies, but you get used to those too.

Will there be an option to retain the current hotbar?
Yes.

It doesn't take long to get used to, and in many ways it's better. There were a couple of navigation oversights and redundancies, but you get used to those too.
"You get used to it" is not the mantra of a good designer. A UI that is designed well is intuitive and simple to use. I don't feel the current setup fulfills either of those conditions.

@Loki I understand the old Engine menus will not be coming back. What concerns me is it seems like the team does not want to do a real overhaul of the current UI. Small tweaks just aren't going to cut it.

Yes.

"You get used to it" is not the mantra of a good designer. A UI that is designed well is intuitive and simple to use. I don't feel the current setup fulfills either of those conditions.

@Loki I understand the old Engine menus will not be coming back. What concerns me is it seems like the team does not want to do a real overhaul of the current UI. Small tweaks just aren't going to cut it.
I made a few suggestions a while ago to make the new UI more console-friendly; are these the kind of things you'd like to see done?:

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...te-feedback-thread.64220/page-36#post-1535784

Me, along with many of my friends who used to love Terraria, found absolutely nothing wrong with the old UI for console. The 4 tabs kept everything on its own screen which meant you didn't have to squint and there was more room to but things (like your current buffs or every crafting recipe you've unlocked.) PC UI's and console don't mix, I am begging you to please bring back the old UI. I loved unlocking new recipes and having that goal to look forward to and being able to check the recipe at any time rather than depend on the guide for absolutely everything. I see what you guys were trying to do with it but in comparison to the old UI its a lot worse for console

Me, along with many of my friends who used to love Terraria, found absolutely nothing wrong with the old UI for console. The 4 tabs kept everything on its own screen which meant you didn't have to squint and there was more room to but things (like your current buffs or every crafting recipe you've unlocked.) PC UI's and console don't mix, I am begging you to please bring back the old UI. I loved unlocking new recipes and having that goal to look forward to and being able to check the recipe at any time rather than depend on the guide for absolutely everything. I see what you guys were trying to do with it but in comparison to the old UI its a lot worse for console
They won't bring back the old UI, but with enough support these ideas (or any others that people come up with) the devs could be convinced to use them to make a good work-around:

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...te-feedback-thread.64220/page-36#post-1535784

It has a handful of issues that - where possible - can hopefully be addressed by adjusting what is here. Removing the blinking text last patch was just step one there.

Sorry you feel that way - but I am just trying to be honest with you about what is and is not likely to occur.

That isn't precisely what he said though - there admittedly is an adjustment phase when coming from the old UI (because its a big change, and any big change in anything requires a time to react and adjust - people don't like change after all) - but once you stick through that, it works really rather well. Of course, as noted above and throughout this thread, there are some adjustments that should be explored. I know the team is aware of all of that feedback and we will see what all tweaks/adjustments come into play.

people don't like change
Too true. It took me a few days but then I was doing it on autopilot as I was pre-update.

There are three things that took me a while to get used to, and still find annoying:

1. When in a chest, tapping R1 takes you to the main inventory, but tapping L1 doesn't take you back to the chest, but to the "list" crafting menu. This is irritating when you're trying to quickly/smoothly equip things from a chest and vice versa.
  2. When equipping items, we have the ability to go through both crafting menus with the item we want to rquip. This makes no sense, as it can't be dropped into either crafting menu; it just serves to take us where we don't want to go.
  3. Pressing L2 to equip something is great, but only if you want to euip one item. Any more than one and things get really confusing. Example:

> I press L2 on a shield to equip it
    > I press L2 on a lucky coin to equip it, and it takes the place of the shield I just equipped, which goes back into the inventory/chest
    > I press L2 on the spore sac, and it replaces the lucky coin, which goes back into the inventory/chest
    >Rinse & repeat
Other than that, aside from the changes mentioned here (https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...te-feedback-thread.64220/page-36#post-1535784), I think the devs have done a great job on the UI. Not having to do a 4-button sequence every time I want to move something from a chest, just to craft with it, then repeat the same sequence putting the ingredients back, is an absolute joy.
[doublepost=1522280084,1522280011][/doublepost]
Yes actually. Those are all some very good ideas. I'd even go as far as saying that the PC version could use that stuff as well.
Thanks. If we make enough noise we might get some more support for them.

Hi.

I like the update so far and am happy for the recent patch.

Are there any chances of the invisible buffs being fixed eventually? From zooming in cause it’s hard to see and hides the timer on each of them, but then I can’t see if I zoom out.

I also hope for some extra save and multiplayer options (like save manually, exit without saving, kick player) cause I’d rather avoid someone joining my world and destroying everything, especially since I’m reading that friends of friends of friends can join, Pardon if I’m misinterpreting that, and there doesn’t seem to be an invite only option. (Granted I hadn’t played multiplayer cause of how buggy it was, but from what I could read it seemed to be that case)

Are there any chances of the invisible buffs being fixed eventually? From zooming in cause it’s hard to see and hides the timer on each of them, but then I can’t see if I zoom out.

There was/is a fix for the zoom+transparency bug - however, it broke a number of other things and had to be pulled back for further work. Thus, it missed this specific update round.

There are three things that took me a while to get used to, and still find annoying:

1. When in a chest, tapping R1 takes you to the main inventory, but tapping L1 doesn't take you back to the chest, but to the "list" crafting menu. This is irritating when you're trying to quickly/smoothly equip things from a chest and vice versa.
  2. When equipping items, we have the ability to go through both crafting menus with the item we want to rquip. This makes no sense, as it can't be dropped into either crafting menu; it just serves to take us where we don't want to go.
  3. Pressing L2 to equip something is great, but only if you want to euip one item. Any more than one and things get really confusing. Example:

> I press L2 on a shield to equip it
    > I press L2 on a lucky coin to equip it, and it takes the place of the shield I just equipped, which goes back into the inventory/chest
    > I press L2 on the spore sac, and it replaces the lucky coin, which goes back into the inventory/chest
    >Rinse & repeat

Yeah, it does have a few quirks like this. Gonna pass those along. I know the team has some big fish to fry right now, but even in the long run having these jotted down in a nice format for consideration is a good thing.

The screen is zoomed in very far, even when it's zoomed out as far as possible using the triggers in the pause menu. This is especially evident while playing 3-4 player splitscreen, the small screens that are used are zoomed in very far, and it's hard to see anything. Can this be changed so that you can zoom out much more, It would make just about everything easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom