Welcome to D-MODE's official released thread!
Here you can check out what the D-MODE mod is all about and how to play it. Consider this as a mini-wiki. Please also note that the mod is still in it's Beta version, which means that it is playable and compatible with most Mods out there, but bugs are still present and may occur at the least expected moment. My name is Doctor Moonbad, and I'm not really a doctor.
D-MODE is a superbly light RPG mod that implements a bunch of Leveling Systems and Item Upgrades to the game. Here are their following types:
- General Level UP: The main level of the character itself. It determines the Life, Mana and Movement Speed bonuses of the player. It can be increased by collecting Monster Souls or by consuming Soul Boosters.
- Attribute Level UP: The second most important leveling system. It has four sub-types, one for every main damage class in the game. They determine all the other bonuses not handled by the General Level UP. Each of the attributes can be increased by dealing their respective type of damage, or by consuming Power Crystals.
- World Level: How hard the world hates the player. Determines how strong enemies are, and when Variants spawn. Can be increased by killing a bunch of weak enemies or a few strong ones.
- Skill: The simplest form of upgrade. It is obligatory for most items that can be used as a weapon, and can be applied with a Tome of Ownership. Once the tome is applied, the item will only be usable by it's owner, but the more it is used, the greater it's Use Speed and Knockback will be, and armor pieces will receive a Movement Speed bonus when equipped. The ownership can be nullified with an Ownership Nullifier. Can also be increased with Green Orbs.
- Quality: The most direct form of upgrade. Can be applied with an Upgrade Gem. It increases the Damage and the Critical Strike Chance of weapons, and the Defense of armor pieces. It can be applied endlessly, although critical strike chance bonuses have a maximum value.
- Infusion: The most expensive form of upgrade. Can be applied with an Infusion Gem, and can be upgraded with Red Orbs. It unlocks powerful, unique Passive Effects.
Applying the upgrades:
To apply an upgrade to an item, such as a Tome of Ownership or an Upgrade Gem, first put the desired item on your character's Hotbar. Then, select the item by holding it on your character's hand without taking it out of your inventory. Finally, Right-Click the upgrade, and it's all done.
- All enemies may drop Green Orbs, Red Orbs, Destiny Boxes, while also spawning a Monster Soul.
- 0-4 Green Orbs will drop per enemy, depending on their level, while Red Orbs will always drop, but only one per enemy.
- Destiny Boxes are more rare and only are guaranteed to be dropped by Bosses and Variants. They contain a random amount of Precious Gems, Obsidian and Green Orbs. Every time one is opened, the player gets a number of Amber Points depending on the amount of loot he earned; when this points reach 100, the player receives an Amber.
- A Monster Soul looks like a flying ball of sparkles. Every time an enemy dies, it spawns with a Soul Value proportional to the monster's strength. It will automatically seek the player responsible for the kill, and once it reaches the player it is absorbed by him / her.
Every player created while D-MODE is active receives a D-Heart and 20 Tomes of Ownership.
The D-Heart has the player stats displayed on it's tool-tips, and it is used to perform Total Resets on Expert Mode Worlds.
- Amber Key: Opens 50 Destiny Boxes over a short time-span. It's effect can't be stacked.
- Ring of Convergence: Converts good part of the experience from less used attributes into the most used one.
- Soul Booster: Instantly spawns a Monster Soul with a Soul Value proportional to the player's maximum life.
Players can level endlessly with no pauses, and become the almighty god of Terraria. The only real limit is your PC.
Expert Mode Worlds:
In Expert Mode, things change a lot. The player can no longer Level UP without any limits, although the limit itself can be increased periodically, with a Total Reset, which is only available when a player has, simultaneously, more or equal than 8 Attribute Points and General Levels. Performing a Total Reset increases the maximum capacity of Attribute Points and General Level UPs by 4, while also rewarding the Player with a quantity of Destiny Points proportional to the amount of Attribute Points and General Levels sacrificed.
These Destiny Points increase the effectiveness of the bonuses of all Attributes by a small percentage. To perform a Total Reset, just Right-Click-Use a D-Heart.
These are rare, tougher versions of the regular monsters that the player can find. There are 3 Types:
- Maximum Life greatly increased.
- Defense increased.
- Damage increased.
- Size increased.
- Immune to Knock-back.
- Maximum Life increased.
- Defense greatly increased.
- Damage greatly increased.
- Hard to be seen when it's dark.
- Spawns a Shadow Appendage the first time it is damaged.
- Applies Death's Grasp when hitting an enemy.
- Yes, you heard it right. I know what you are thinking.
Dropped by Shadow Variants. Slightly increases the player's On-Hit Damage (Damage processed upon hitting an enemy, not used by the game's Damage Classes) for each unit inside the player's inventory, but also reduces the player's Maximum Life and Defense.
Spawned by Shadow Variants. They keep attached around a host while killing it at the same time, and will always try to get close to the player in this state. When it's host is killed, it will start rushing at the player with high velocity every half a second. It has a high Attack Damage and moderate Defense.
Pain, Broken Bones and Death's Grasp:
These are some new Debuffs that are inflicted on special cases:
- Pain: Reduces the player's On-Hit Damage by a ton. Randomly and briefly inflicted when with low life, and permanently inflicted when with critical life.
- Broken Bones: Negates the player's Movement Speed bonuses, Randomly and briefly inflicts Bleeding, and Bleeding deals damage over time. Applied by enemies with a low chance. Chance of being inflicted can be reduced by acquiring more Defense.
- Death's Grasp: Deals massive damage over time to healthy targets, but low damage against near-death targets. Applied by Shadow Variants.
Bugs and Weird interactions:
- Moonlord can't have any levels (unknown reason).
- Enemies with Multiple Forms, like Spiders, can have their stats randomized every single time they change forms. My theory is that the game considers the 2 forms separate NPCs.
Sometimes players can't use the Tome of Ownership right after a update. To solve this, create a new World and a new Character while the mod is active.
There you will find the most recent updates and news about the mod, and you'll be able to contribute to the mod by writing bug reports, adding suggestions, helping other users, so on and so forth. There's is also the possibility of making what I call a "free donation" of a tenth of a cent of a dollar by clicking on an advertised link, but that's your choice. Don't forger that the mod will (most of the time) always be available at the Mod Browser, but if by some reason you can't download it, here are 2 links:
Mega Cloud Storage direct link (does not contribute to the mod's development):
Mega Cloud Storage advertised link (contributes to the mod's development with a tenth of a cent of a dollar):
Finally, much thanks for all of you, people that incentivized me, for helping me reach this stage of development. I wouldn't have done it without your support and endearment.
Hall of Fame:
- DY1ANDOGG: Funder and Senior Helper.
- Jopojelly: Always helps me with my doubts about coding with TModLoader.
- ☆Spark: A very active Helper.
- Sume: A very good Advisor.