tModLoader Dual Wielding

True, I also would like it. Maybe you (@Yoraiz0r) could make it compatible with this mod: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/mod-settings-configurator.58368/#post-1387840 so we could configure how much balance we want
This would be great, because I think this mod needs more balance options. If there will be support for this mod, I hope it will have several options like scaling the damage output, turning knockback immunity on/off, melee and over weapons speed and a damage(or defense) multiplier. For some reason I still get knockback(with Immunity) even when the balance is turned off.
Still an awesome mod though.

Hello everyone, thanks for the positive response to the mod so far! :happy:
During the weekend I made several changes such as adding penalties to thrown items, added a damage penalty to magic items, fixed a bug regarding knockback immunity when balance setting is off, and implemented a way for mods to interact with dual wielding to make special items (such as weapons that get stronger when paired together).

I've also talked to @Flashkirby99 about the mod settings configurator - but granted that I want the settings to be only editable by a server's host when in multiplayer and that's not supported yet, I'll avoid implementing that until the mod is updated.

Lastly, while I originally made dual wielding with the intent that the player could feel strong while using it - I added a -25% endurance penalty when swinging two weapons at once to the balance setting. (this translates to a total of +25% damage taken, rounded down, after defense is calculated)

Once I finish touching up the support for other mods, and make an example mod for that, the new version will go up. :)

Hello everyone, thanks for the positive response to the mod so far! :happy:
During the weekend I made several changes such as adding penalties to thrown items, added a damage penalty to magic items, fixed a bug regarding knockback immunity when balance setting is off, and implemented a way for mods to interact with dual wielding to make special items (such as weapons that get stronger when paired together).

I've also talked to @Flashkirby99 about the mod settings configurator - but granted that I want the settings to be only editable by a server's host when in multiplayer and that's not supported yet, I'll avoid implementing that until the mod is updated.

Lastly, while I originally made dual wielding with the intent that the player could feel strong while using it - I added a -25% endurance penalty when swinging two weapons at once to the balance setting. (this translates to a total of +25% damage taken, rounded down, after defense is calculated)

Once I finish touching up the support for other mods, and make an example mod for that, the new version will go up. :)

Thank you so very much for your support for Throwing weapons and giving them a penalty. When i tried the mod i noticed that dueling Throwing weapons has no penality and i was like yea that's gonna be super overpowered. but i have a question.. does this count for all Weapons that Does throwing damage including consumables?

Thank you so very much for your support for Throwing weapons and giving them a penalty. When i tried the mod i noticed that dueling Throwing weapons has no penality and i was like yea that's gonna be super overpowered. but i have a question.. does this count for all Weapons that Does throwing damage including consumables?
It applies the penalties to any item or projectile who's `item.thrown` or `projectile.thrown` flag is set to true, and that flag should only be set to true on items that deal damage.
So to answer - yes, it will apply the penalty to all thrown items - even consumable thrown items. (so long they say they do `throwing damage`)

Just wondering, will this be included in 1.4? Why not throw it in and make it an official part of the game, especially since this mod came from lead dev. This is personally why i feel like we don't need Terraria 2.

Just wondering, will this be included in 1.4? Why not throw it in and make it an official part of the game, especially since this mod came from lead dev. This is personally why i feel like we don't need Terraria 2.
I would imagine it was made as a mod because it will never become a feature - it is kind of broken, even with balancing and is such a radical change that is pretty much unnecessary for the base game, meaning it works much better as an optional extra for those who want additional features that aren't necessarily as polished as the high standards the vanilla game demands.
Not trying to bash Yoraiz0r here - he's done a great job. I'm sure he'll agree it's more of a fun idea for a game mechanic than an actual intended, fully thought out feature.

I suppose it would break the game and make everybody an instant superstar when it comes to singleplayer, but i know a lot of people aren't into modding even though it's easy as heck, so i was kind of thinking of them. Still looking forward to my full playthrough with this mod, it's an excellent way to spice up a game that's already top tier.

I suppose it would break the game and make everybody an instant superstar when it comes to singleplayer, but i know a lot of people aren't into modding even though it's easy as heck, so i was kind of thinking of them. Still looking forward to my full playthrough with this mod, it's an excellent way to spice up a game that's already top tier.

Actually under the right conditions it can be rather balanced for as long as there is a downside to having Duel wielding...duel wielding increases dps so with that there's a deep reduction in power and crit rate to compensate..OR... you can increase Enemy HP in response so its harder to mow down enemies so easily that's what i do at least.

when running on a Certain character..the following message appears and Terraria Crashes

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Terraria.ModLoader.ItemLoader.SetDefaults(Item item, Boolean createModItem)
at Terraria.Item.SetDefaults(Int32 Type, Boolean noMatCheck)
at DualWielding.DWMemoryItemSlot.GenerateItem()
at DualWielding.MDWInterface.FromTags(IList`1 tags)
at DualWielding.MDWPlayer.OnEnterWorld(Player player)
at Terraria.ModLoader.PlayerHooks.OnEnterWorld(Int32 playerIndex)
at Terraria.Player.Hooks.EnterWorld(Int32 playerIndex)
at Terraria.WorldGen.do_playWorldCallBack(Object threadContext)
at Terraria.WorldGen.playWorldCallBack(Object threadContext)

Is this fixable?

I have found a bug:
for some reason, my wooden boomerang (new playthough on calamity mod) on the offhand slot throws 2 boomerangs instead of one!:eek:
I guess it might just be a connection between calamity and vanilla!o_O

Like @darthmorf said, this mod is not intended to become a feature of the core vanilla experience. I do not believe it fits with the original play-style intents of Terraria, and it is better off as an optional mechanic for those interested.

when running on a Certain character..the following message appears and Terraria Crashes

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Terraria.ModLoader.ItemLoader.SetDefaults(Item item, Boolean createModItem)
at Terraria.Item.SetDefaults(Int32 Type, Boolean noMatCheck)
at DualWielding.DWMemoryItemSlot.GenerateItem()
at DualWielding.MDWInterface.FromTags(IList`1 tags)
at DualWielding.MDWPlayer.OnEnterWorld(Player player)
at Terraria.ModLoader.PlayerHooks.OnEnterWorld(Int32 playerIndex)
at Terraria.Player.Hooks.EnterWorld(Int32 playerIndex)
at Terraria.WorldGen.do_playWorldCallBack(Object threadContext)
at Terraria.WorldGen.playWorldCallBack(Object threadContext)

Is this fixable?
Do you have any other mods enabled? if so, one of them seems to have a crash when it generates its item that goes silent at most times but not in the memory slot's loading?...
I don't intend to give memory slots the ability to silent-error since that's bad practice, but if you want to dig further into it, please PM me a zip of your Mods folder & your players folder, so I can replicate and figure it out for you. :indifferent:

I have found a bug:
for some reason, my wooden boomerang (new playthough on calamity mod) on the offhand slot throws 2 boomerangs instead of one!:eek:
I guess it might just be a connection between calamity and vanilla!o_O
Interesting, this bug seems to also occur when dual wielding runs on its own - I'll investigate, thanks for reporting!
(edit: it seems to be that vanilla code doesn't really like going with melee speed lower than 1.0, which causes the boomerang bug - to remedy this i'll likely get rid of the melee speed reduction altogether in favor of some other penalty)

Last edited:

The changes sound great! I'd still prefer a larger endurance/defense penalty (closer to 50% like I mentioned in my last post about balance), but 25% is still far better than what we have currently.

Thanks so much for continuing to improve this incredible mod, and I look forward to the update. :)

Like @darthmorf said, this mod is not intended to become a feature of the core vanilla experience. I do not believe it fits with the original play-style intents of Terraria, and it is better off as an optional mechanic for those interested.

Do you have any other mods enabled? if so, one of them seems to have a crash when it generates its item that goes silent at most times but not in the memory slot's loading?...
I don't intend to give memory slots the ability to silent-error since that's bad practice, but if you want to dig further into it, please PM me a zip of your Mods folder & your players folder, so I can replicate and figure it out for you. :indifferent:

Ok i think i figured out the problem...Technically i had Tremor Mod installed then i uninstalled it but one of its items in relation to the mod i unstalled was somehow in its memory slots....so the crash was because there was a item that no longer exist in its memory slots.

Perhaps you can make a kinda fail safe in place if a item that no longer exist from another mod is still in its memory slots?

Pn2ttGY.png

I'd love a version that makes dual-wielding not remove knockback immunity. Perhaps adding an option to the mod configuration menu?

Hey, question. So I was really bored and decided to dual-wield yo-yos and happened to have the Yo-Yo Bag equipped. When I landed a hit with the offhand yo-yo, the on hit effects (IE the counterweights and extra yo yo) of the bag didn't proc, but the on-hit effect of the yo-yo itself did. Keep in mind that the main-hand yo-yo worked fine. Was this intended, or..?

Hey, question. So I was really bored and decided to dual-wield yo-yos and happened to have the Yo-Yo Bag equipped. When I landed a hit with the offhand yo-yo, the on hit effects (IE the counterweights and extra yo yo) of the bag didn't proc, but the on-hit effect of the yo-yo itself did. Keep in mind that the main-hand yo-yo worked fine. Was this intended, or..?
The game's vanilla code has certain things programmed with the assumption the player will only ever use 1 item at a time, such as boomerangs not allowing more than a certain amount of their projectile out in the air at once - those items will not react to dual wielding well & yoyos fall in that category.
I have no plans to figure out a way to specifically make those work, as that can create other problems.

The game's vanilla code has certain things programmed with the assumption the player will only ever use 1 item at a time, such as boomerangs not allowing more than a certain amount of their projectile out in the air at once - those items will not react to dual wielding well & yoyos fall in that category.
I have no plans to figure out a way to specifically make those work, as that can create other problems.
And not to mention, it'd probably be OP as heck too :naughty:

Back
Top Bottom