Game Mechanics Expert Mode enemy money pickup is overpowererd

Metoot

Plantera
This is something that has been bothering me for a very long time. The quirk of expert mode that allows enemies to pick up any dropped money, in my opinion, very flawed. There are moments when it makes no sense and is only upsetting the players
  • Enemies can pick up the money the moment they kill you
    • As an extension, bosses can do that with way higher chance because of bigger hitboxes. And then the money is guaranteed to be gone if you are alone.
  • Flying enemies can pick money up
  • Enemies that have no physical way of picking something up can pick money up. How?
  • Enemies that pass through walls can too. Can't express how bad does it feel when a wraith just casually swooshes by your death point and then away into the sunset
  • Most importantly : enemies that carry money despawn. That's the only instance of items despawning in the whole game, not counting the 400 item limitation
And with how much money you get in expert mode, it's more of an annoyance than a challenge. Something has to be done. Potential solution is to reduce the amount of enemies that can pick up money from literally everything to only Fighter AI

I'm only annoyed by that the enemies who picked up the coins will despawn.
That means that your money is garantueed to be gone once you're too far away from your spawn point (which is very likely to happen in almost anything).

For me, the best solution is to keep your money in your chest/piggy bank continiously. Then you can counter the problem the best. Enemies also drop more gold as well to balance that out. So it 'looks' like you dropped a lot. but you also earn it back faster.

Enemies that pass through walls can too. Can't express how bad does it feel when a wraith just casually swooshes by your death point and then away into the sunset
Wouldn't that be sunrise? :p

Anyway, I have mostly supportive but somewhat mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I'm pretty sure the 'you're likely to lose your money on death' was intentional with Expert Mode. Certainly it's pretty ineffectual for non-death money, because the only reason they'd be picking up money is if you're killing mobs, and if you're killing mobs, they're next. On the other hand... the mechanic isn't actually threatening, it's just irritating. Money is not difficult to obtain on Expert Mode and the only way this will actually hinder your character is if you don't know how to use chests. It's not an imposition of difficulty, it's a play on the player's compulsions. Watching sixty gold vanish isn't that much of a hit, but it's frustrating all the same. The end result is that I'm continually compelled to stuff money in my piggy bank during any invasion, setting up sentries and cutting awkward breaks from the action... even though I don't actually need the money. Utterly not fun. So I really wouldn't be averse to seeing the theft nerfed.

Also, it's not the only time items despawn. Death on hardcore characters, certain items that fall into lava. Doesn't make it any less irritating, though.

Back
Top Bottom