Weapons & Equip Frostguard Shield

Would you like to see this in the game?

• Total voters
Why are there Frost Cores involved? Paladin's Shield is already an endgame accessory. That just adds unnecessary grinding.

Other than that, Paladin Shield + FTS has been suggested many times before, so this isn't really anything new.

As for the Hand Warmer, it just needs to be a drop from any common enemy that inflicts Chilled and/or Frozen like all the other debuff immunity items. Moving it from an early-game item to late endgame is completely unnecessary.

Why are there Frost Cores involved? Paladin's Shield is already an endgame accessory. That just adds unnecessary grinding.

Other than that, Paladin Shield + FTS has been suggested many times before, so this isn't really anything new.

As for the Hand Warmer, it just needs to be a drop from any common enemy that inflicts Chilled and/or Frozen like all the other debuff immunity items. Moving it from an early-game item to late endgame is completely unnecessary.
I can't speak for anyone else, but by the time I fight plantera I tend to already have multiple spare frost cores. Currently frost cores are only used in three items which from an armor set. I'd personally like at least one more use for them, and I think of any kind of accessory a shield most falls in keeping with the current "armor" trend.

I'm sure it has but I don't see a link, and I tried to make this relatively unique.

I admit the Hand Warmer being a Frost Moon drop is a bit of overkill, but it's not really "moving" it from one stage of the game to another; it's a limited availability seasonal item. It also is near-useless, since it can't be combined with anything currently. Chilled has a relatively rare chance to be inflicted by mobs that are for the most part fairly weak, although I do agree that it would be better earlier; potentially an ice mimic drop, or maybe even an ice chest item.

I incorporated the hand warmer because it seemed like a fitting tinker for it, and the frost cores (probably changed to only 1) give it an association with frost armor, which gives them another use and rounds out frost items. Not sure how eloquently I did it, but just trying to explain my rationale here. If you dont't like it, I'd appreciate some specific suggestions of what you might change something to in order to improve it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but by the time I fight plantera I tend to already have multiple spare frost cores. Currently frost cores are only used in three items which from an armor set. I'd personally like at least one more use for them, and I think of any kind of accessory a shield most falls in keeping with the current "armor" trend.
The time you end up with Frost Cores is when you purposefully seek them out, because the enemy is extremely rare. The only reason you'd end up with extra is if you're unlucky grinding for a Frost Feather or killing Ice Golems just for fun.
I'm sure it has but I don't see a link, and I tried to make this relatively unique.
Here's a large handful of links from TO:
I admit the Hand Warmer being a Frost Moon drop is a bit of overkill, but it's not really "moving" it from one stage of the game to another; it's a limited availability seasonal item. It also is near-useless, since it can't be combined with anything currently. Chilled has a relatively rare chance to be inflicted by mobs that are for the most part fairly weak, although I do agree that it would be better earlier; potentially an ice mimic drop, or maybe even an ice chest item.
It's a debuff immunity item. Like all other debuff immunity items, it should be a 1% drop form enemies that inflict the debuff. There's no reason not to.
I incorporated the hand warmer because it seemed like a fitting tinker for it,
Well, if you ask me, it would be better to roll it in with the Ankh Shield as another usual debuff immunity item.
and the frost cores (probably changed to only 1) give it an association with frost armor, which gives them another use and rounds out frost items.
If you don't mind me saying, a friend of mine has a great suggestion about that:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/glacial-ice.510/
If you dont't like it, I'd appreciate some specific suggestions of what you might change something to in order to improve it.
Well, get rid of the Frost Cores, for one, and either fix the Hand Warmer's acquisition or remove it from the recipe entirely.

The time you end up with Frost Cores is when you purposefully seek them out, because the enemy is extremely rare. The only reason you'd end up with extra is if you're unlucky grinding for a Frost Feather or killing Ice Golems just for fun.

Here's a large handful of links from TO:

It's a debuff immunity item. Like all other debuff immunity items, it should be a 1% drop form enemies that inflict the debuff. There's no reason not to.

Well, if you ask me, it would be better to roll it in with the Ankh Shield as another usual debuff immunity item.

If you don't mind me saying, a friend of mine has a great suggestion about that:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/glacial-ice.510/

Well, get rid of the Frost Cores, for one, and either fix the Hand Warmer's acquisition or remove it from the recipe entirely.
Thanks for the links. Hand warmer does make sense as one of the rare drops, the only reason I'm ambivalent about that is because it's (sort of) so rare currently. I will probably change it to be a drop from Icy Mermen or Ice Elementals. Of course, its inclusion in the recipe is predicated on the assumption that it doesn't become an ankh shield component in 1.3. I do, though, think that a single frost core would fit; in effect, it would be almost like a frost armor-based accessory. It would certainly add to the uniqueness of the item, the same being the case for the hand warmer. I would also say Ice Golems aren't too rare to make a frost core a bad idea; I've gotten 3 during a single blood moon blizzard multiple times, and during a bit of farming during a normal blizzard 2 at a time.

Update: Recipe changed to require a single Frost Core, Hand Warmer is a 1% drop from Icy Mermen and Ice Elementals (thanks, Sz.)

I still don't get why the hand Warmer has to be a Hardmode item. :l

There's enough Hardmode in that recipe already, so there's no need to withhold something that is useful pre-HM.

Just make it a 1% drop from Spiked Ice Slimes and Ice Bats as well.

I still don't get why the hand Warmer has to be a Hardmode item. :l

There's enough Hardmode in that recipe already, so there's no need to withhold something that is useful pre-HM.

Just make it a 1% drop from Spiked Ice Slimes and Ice Bats as well.
Personally I've never been bothered much by chilled, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. Most debuff immunity items are only useful on their own situationally, so really that makes sense. Only reason I made it hardmode was because most existing debuff-immunity items are hardmode.

Only reason I made it hardmode was because most existing debuff-immunity items are hardmode.
That's only because there aren't many enemies which inflict debuffs pre-Hardmode.

I have no idea why Black Slimes don't drop Blindfolds, but Hornets drop Bezoars and Cursed Skulls drop Nazars, so why not?

Concept: 4/5
It's quite interesting, this concept. In fact, it might be one of my favourites. The balancing is eh, alright but I'm not sure I like the concept fully, there are some parts to this that just change my mind. Overall, it's neat and simple.

Originality: 4/5
It isn't the most original thing I have seen, that's a fact, but it is still quite original. I mean, a whole bunch of people post suggestions on accessories, whether necessary or not, but this one strikes me as a unique one.

Result: 4/5
It's nice, it's cool and the formatting is lovely. Like I stated before and will state now, I'm not sure balancing is all OK, and originality is a bit lacking, but despite that you've made an awesome suggestion, and that as well is a truthful fact.

Score: 4/5
C'est incroyable, as the common Frenchman would say.

This good suggestion was ruined by the RNG involved. Also, IDC that there is RNG for this, the frozen shell part needs a nerf and remove the core part

Back
Top Bottom