Full Game Accessory Tier List

What rank should the Shark Tooth Necklace and the Stinger Necklace be at?

• B rank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C rank

• D rank

• F rank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lava charm is certainly not A tier. Obsidian Skin Potions are incredibly cheap and if you know what you're doing you'll be making your arenas out of planter boxes anyway. Also, you only need to deal with lava twice in the entire game: once for mining hellstone, and once for wall of flesh. With Hellstone just make an obsidian skin potion as it actually also prevents burning and you don't even need to duck out of lava every 7 seconds. With Wall of Flesh either make an Arena or just use a water walking potion if you're too lazy for even an arena. This is the kind of item which is outclassed hard by a potion which is both easier to get in bulk than it is to just get one of these things and it wasn't a particularly powerful potion anyway.
When I updated Lava Waders based on @qwerty3.14's feedback and some realizations I had, I forgot to rerank the Lava Charm as well. Oops.

Just so it's clear to everyone, F rank is completely useless at the point you'd get it, D rank is basically F rank except it has a tiny niche, C rank is a bit useful in some situations but too hard to get or not great at its job, B rank is good overall but not good for any specific situation or incredibly useful for one or two things but overall almost useless, A rank is good at something that helps with progression or great at the time you get it but becomes worse somewhat quickly, and S rank is outstandingly good for some things or very helpful in any situation at the time you get it or quite useful for a long time. Also note that benefiting only one class will usually lower the rank by 1.

What exactly do you mean? Aren't all accessories supposed to help with progression?

If an accesory is completely useless but is used to craft something better ddoes that save it from F rank?
I mean it helps mainly with a specific boss or event but then becomes somewhat useless afterwards.

Well if it can be crafted into something good than it’s not useless, right?

A rank is good at something that helps with progression or great at the time you get it but becomes worse somewhat quickly
I mean it helps mainly with a specific boss or event but then becomes somewhat useless afterwards.
So can an accesory only be A tier if its useful for a short time? Both your definitions for A tier imply being useful for a short time then becoming much less useful.

I don't think rocket boots should be S rank. Sure, they can be useful, but a balloon and/or double jump and a grappling hook do its job just fine. And considering you can buy a hook at the same time as the rocket boots, the only real reason you'd get them is if you haven't found a double jump or balloon by now. With an arena they're pretty outclassed for bossing, and underground there's no reason not to use the grappling hook or just place some platforms down. I won't deny that they're useful if you're not lucky enough to get a bottle or balloon, but otherwise the only real reason I'd get them is to make Spectre boots, and that's mainly for the running bonus. The flight time is useful, but outclassed quickly. That seems more like A rank rather than S rank.

F rank is completely useless at the point you'd get it

Well if it can be crafted into something good than it’s not useless, right?

By this definition I can't think of any F tier accesories, for pre hardmode.

D rank is basically F rank except it has a tiny niche

Nazar, has the tiny niche of crafting the ankh charm, useless otherwise, there's only 1 pre hardmode enemy that inflicts curse and they're pretty easy to dodge, its also the very same enemy you need to fight to get it, meaning you run the risk of getting cursed if you try farming for it.

Anklet of the wind, has the tiny niche of crafting the lighting boots, useless otherwise due to the way movement speed relates to running boots.

C rank is a bit useful in some situations but too hard to get or not great at its job

Lava waders, it can be an alternative to potions, but are harder to get since it needs 3 rare accessories, also worse at the job than those potions

Honeycomb is not great at its job, the honey effect half of the accessory is objectively worse than the band of regen, the bee half doesn’t seem to be too impressive either.

S rank is outstandingly good for some things or very helpful in any situation at the time you get it or quite useful for a long time
Shark tooth necklace fits the definition of ‘quite useful for a long time’ perfectly, you can get it early on and remains on of the best offensive accessories for all of pre hardmode. On high attack speed builds it can easily rival the bone glove, and also has all of pre skeletron to be useful as well.
Stinger necklace is basically just another shark tooth necklace so you can stack

Ancient chisel is also ‘outstandingly good’ it is literally the only accessory that effects mining speed pre hardmode, and the only other accesoires that increase mining speed do it by 15% may be time limited, and are in hardmode. It’s ‘quite useful for a long time’ because you will be mining well into hardmode.

ok... how does something like the band of regen A tier then? It never really becomes useless
It kind of does - by mid-late prehardmode, there are 4 situations you should normally be in.

Melee: High defense, moderate damage. Can kill or tank pretty much any threat, maybe besides bosses.
Mage: Two possibilities. High damage and low defense, and survivability isn't something you want in a glass cannon build; The other is Meteor Armor + space gun which just shreds everything, no regen necessary.
Ranger: Ranger has moderately high damage in exchange for moderate defense - more defense than meteor armor with necro. With almost as much damage as mage, there is barely any reason to have the Band of Regen. It is possible to fit it in here, but is it really worth it?
Summoner: Unless its a challenge run, nobody is running summoner prehardmode unless they're either really good or really stupid. Either way, summoner has even lower defense than mage and basically requires that you dodge or you die. Either way, the band will not save you.

Also, there is never a need for the band in bossfights. Almost every boss arena constructed has campfires and/or heart lanterns, negating a need for the band. Even for something like WoF where you most likely won't have enough heart lanterns to go the whole way, are you really going to tell me you can't spare half a stack of torches for campfires?

With all this in mind, there are only two things that the band is good for after early prehardmode where you need every ounce of survivability you can get - Blocking yourself off and using it to speed up healing, not a viable option in almost any scenario due to worms and wall-piercing enemies, and the Charm of Myths, just having a bit of free healing on the Philosopher's Stone. Not only that, CoM is hardmode. The only use the band of regeneration has is as something to quickly swap in if you find a safe spot when you're low on health. It's like the panic necklace and magic cuffs in that you need to be hit for it's effect to work - because you can't regen if you're at full life - except all that effect does is slightly increase your regeneration.

With all this said, it should be evident that the Band of Regeneration sits firmly as an early prehardmode accessory, that is outclassed by the time the player reaches around the evil boss tier. Definitely not A rank material. I won't argue with the fact that in the earlygame it can be a bit useful, but it seems very overrated beyond then. By the time you can deal with Skeletron or the evil boss, you shouldn't have this in your loadout.

I think most of them are inspired by Baconfry's tier lists. I'm pretty sure this one is. They are pretty great guides after all, as long as they're reviewed by enough people.

Also, I think that Ice Skates should be dropped to D. There is literally no reason to use them unless you haven't got 5 accessories to fill up your slots with. The only use they have is combining with Lightning Boots. They might be a little useful in the earlygame if you're caving in the ice, but almost anything would be just as good, if not better.

Summoner: Unless its a challenge run, nobody is running summoner prehardmode unless they're either really good or really stupid. Either way, summoner has even lower defense than mage and basically requires that you dodge or you die. Either way, the band will not save you.
Use obsidian armor, feral claws and the flinx staff, these are relatively new additions but they are absolutely insane.

Also, there is never a need for the band in bossfights. Almost every boss arena constructed has campfires and/or heart lanterns, negating a need for the band. Even for something like WoF where you most likely won't have enough heart lanterns to go the whole way, are you really going to tell me you can't spare half a stack of torches for campfires?
Why not have the band on top of those other bonuses? Regen is nice, but more regen is better, also you completely forgot to mention the regen potion which is at least twice as good as the band, campfire, and lantern.
campfire 0.5hp/s
lantern 1.0hp/s
band 1.0hp/s
regen potion 2.0hp/s

With all this in mind, there are only two things that the band is good for after early prehardmode where you need every ounce of survivability you can get - Blocking yourself off and using it to speed up healing, not a viable option in almost any scenario due to worms and wall-piercing enemies, and the Charm of Myths, just having a bit of free healing on the Philosopher's Stone. Not only that, CoM is hardmode. The only use the band of regeneration has is as something to quickly swap in if you find a safe spot when you're low on health. It's like the panic necklace and magic cuffs in that you need to be hit for it's effect to work - because you can't regen if you're at full life - except all that effect does is slightly increase your regeneration.
Do the math, if you use greater healing potions you heal at a rate of 2.5hp/s, equiping a philospher's stone increases that to 3.33hp/s, the difference is 0.833hp/s, compared to the band's 1hp/s, the philosopher's stone is actually the weaker half of the charm

Shark tooth necklace fits the definition of ‘quite useful for a long time’ perfectly, you can get it early on and remains on of the best offensive accessories for all of pre hardmode. On high attack speed builds it can easily rival the bone glove, and also has all of pre skeletron to be useful as well.
Stinger necklace is basically just another shark tooth necklace so you can stack

I think Stinger Necklace is fine at A.

The best way to describe it is 2-3 extra damage against anything with defense. This is really excellent in early game when you get it, but because it’s basically a flat amount of extra damage it slowly becomes less and less helpful. During World Evil tier, most of your gear is probably hitting for around 20 damage, in which case the Stinger Necklace is a solid chunk of extra damage, and there are plenty of faster weapons which benefit from well. But by Wall of Flesh, you basically have no reason to use it. Most weapons (Sunfury, Spinal Tap etc.) should be pulling 40-50 damage, and the Shark Tooth Necklace covers like, 5% of that.

It also gets more and more competition. When its obtained, it’s most likely going to be a top choice. However, you slowly begin to build up more important mobility accessories, some defensive accessories like Cobalt Shield, or some other options for offense. For example you’d need to attack around 8-12 times per second to compete with Bone Glove at its maximum potential, and the Shark Tooth Necklace doesn’t offer free pierce or extra effective range either.

Compared to the S tier accessories which can last well into hardmode, Shark Tooth Necklace is fine at A.

Why not have the band on top of those other bonuses? Regen is nice, but more regen is better

More regen is better, but so is more damage, more mobility, and more special effects. Is 'a little more regen' worth an entire accessory slot?

Do the math, if you use greater healing potions you heal at a rate of 2.5hp/s, equiping a philospher's stone increases that to 3.33hp/s, the difference is 0.833hp/s, compared to the band's 1hp/s, the philosopher's stone is actually the weaker half of the charm

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! However, the charm of myths alone isn't enough to save the Band of Regen from going down a tier or two. However, the tinker and it's earlygame viability do keep it out of D tier I'd say.

I suggest we move Band of Regeneration to C tier.

Last edited:
It also gets more and more competition. When its obtained, it’s most likely going to be a top choice. However, you slowly begin to build up more important mobility accessories, some defensive accessories like Cobalt Shield, or some other options for offense. For example you’d need to attack around 8-12 times per second to compete with Bone Glove at its maximum potential, and the Shark Tooth Necklace doesn’t offer free pierce or extra effective range either.

Compared to the S tier accessories which can last well into hardmode, Shark Tooth Necklace is fine at A.
You can get 3 flinxes without having any sort of gear investment, those 3 flinxes can pretty consistently get 6 hits per second. Now lets see what builds can score the remaining 2-6 hits.

With obsidian armor, feral claw, and a speed reforge on it, the spianl tap gets 3.333 hits per second, the extra minion slot can be used for a vampire frog to score even more hits.

You could be using a minishark, the best pre skeletron gun. It at base gets 7.5 hits per second. The pheonix blaster should in theory get almost 6 hits per second, but lets lower that to 4 hits per second because of lack of autofire. bee's knees creates a swarm of bee's, due to iFrames the bees attack up to 6 times per second, then lets say the bee arrows themselves add another 2-3 hits per second.

Not to mention the bone glove only hits 3 times, if you want piercing you are going to be using a piercing weapon already, the spinal tap for example can hit a lot more than 3 of the WoF hungries per swing, and the shark tooth necklace will be contributing on all those hits wheras the bone glove will only get 3 if its line up correctly.

I'm seconding this; Shark Tooth Necklace is basically an accessory that gets better and better as your base damage becomes lower (which is often associated with your attack speed becoming higher). It and the Stinger Necklace single-handedly rescue summoners from the hell that is early pre-Hardmode with an Imp Staff, since they allow you to use Flinx/Vampire Frog with their much better AI. It expands the list of viable early HM weapons by a massive amount. And I've even used Shark Tooth towards the very endgame, because it has an obvious synergy with Phantasm, a weapon that dishes out loads of tiny hits at an extreme rate.

I think it should at least be noted that the Shark Tooth Necklace retains its viability in a handful of lategame situations.

But the problem with the Shark Tooth Necklace is that it benefits rangers the most, because they have generally have high attack speed and low base damage compared to other classes. Summoner is also somewhere in that zone, but not as much as ranger. Melee has low attack speed and high base damage, which doesn't really affect dealing with random enemies, but isn't very good for bosses, since they have high health and usually should be avoided, not attacked in the way melee attacks. The Bone Glove saves melee partially from that range problem. Mage is in the middle, so it depends more on the differences between individual magic weapons.

Also, seeing as it's currently unranked, I propose S tier for Celestial cuffs. This may sound like a stretch, but I was using them all the way up until after a mech boss. We already consider the magnet as A and the cuffs as B, so this shouldn't be too much of a surprise. They're immensly useful, especially during invasions where its hard to avoid all the enemies and projectiles, and the masses of enemies drop plenty of stars. An accessory unlocked pre-boss lasting all the way until you get the celestial emblem sounds pretty solidly S tier to me.

Back
Top Bottom