Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want craftable demon/Crimson altars that only have sole purpose of being a crafting station being destroyed at anytime dropping its own item, and doesn't spawn hardmode ores in hardmode, being crafted at a heavy work bench in ecto mist

Demon Altars require 10 ebonstone and 5 shadow scales
Crimson Altars require 10 crimstone and 5 tissue samples

I want craftable demon/Crimson altars that only have sole purpose of being a crafting station being destroyed at anytime dropping its own item, and doesn't spawn hardmode ores in hardmode, being crafted at a heavy work bench in ecto mist

Demon Altars require 10 ebonstone and 5 shadow scales
Crimson Altars require 10 crimstone and 5 tissue samples

Please note that this is not a suggestion thread, and is currently primarily focused on balance adjustments to the major balance patch that came in 1.4.4. :)

So not sure why he would even ask but it seems even thou my world is completely pure the angler is asking for corrupted scabbard fish as an angler quest. Thank god for sundials.

So you know, I was just about to make this change, and I had a thought.

Lately, almost every change I make (no matter how good), seems to have a consequence for SOMEONE, where they aren't happy about it. So I've been a little more careful about just making changes without thinking through as many permutations as possible of the impacts of that change.

And I thought this:
1. A player might want to keep their Spectre Goggles equipped in vanity and move them between the two to view both Echo sight options more easily, its easier to just keep it there when "off". Echo Chamber doesn't allow this, though it allows using from vanity, you can't store it in your vanity slot without turning on the echo sight. This is something that Spectre Goggles can do now, that changing, would remove.
2. A player might just want to use Spectre Goggles for vanity, but NOT see Echo'd blocks. Making this change would mean that the vanity element of Spectre Goggles could not be used without always seeing Echo blocks, taking away player options.

Echo Chamber already offers from-vanity function. Spectre Goggles offers an alternative method. So changing Spectre to behave like Echo accomplishes no new options for players (because Echo Chamber already does those things), but DOES remove possible player options, which are not doing any harm. So there is no actual benefit to the change, but there IS a small potential risk.

Every time I make a change someone doesn't like, they say "you could just make it an option", which usually is NOT a viable course of action, but in this case, an option already exists. Making this proposed change would be removing that option. Spectre Goggles and Echo Monolith both function in slightly different ways, and there might be legitimate users who take advantage of those difference.

So I think I'm going to definitively say "no" on this change, as close as I got to making it.
I know this is probably weird thing to hear about a suggested change, but thanks for not making this change. I've been using Specter Goggles like in the first reason and it's very useful when you're using Echo Coating a lot, especially if you keep accidentally using it instead of the paint you mean to. I also put way too much into time vanity, so I'm so glad you thought about that too. It'd be a shame if a possible problem was to a cool looking pair of glasses.

If almost every change is bad for someone, I wonder what reason there is to not make a Magiluminescence in a Vanity Slot make your eyes glow even if the Magiluminescence is hidden by...
Please note that this is not a suggestion thread, and is currently primarily focused on balance adjustments to the major balance patch that came in 1.4.4. :)
I'll shut up now.

Tried flamethrowers, regular flamethrower is good, but elf melter is useless for post-plantera/post-golem. It has less damage than terrablade (from projectiles only), also terrablade is easier to obtain (solar eclipse is much easier than frost moon), has better range, better piercieng and larger projectiles, so terrablade is better "ranged" weapon than elf melter. Not against idea of ranged weapon with short-range attack, but it should provide benefits in comparison with regular ranged weapons, or at least not be weaker than projectiles from melee weapon obtainable earlier in progression.

Tried flamethrowers, regular flamethrower is good, but elf melter is useless for post-plantera/post-golem. It has less damage than terrablade (from projectiles only), also terrablade is easier to obtain (solar eclipse is much easier than frost moon), has better range, better piercieng and larger projectiles, so terrablade is better "ranged" weapon than elf melter. Not against idea of ranged weapon with short-range attack, but it should provide benefits in comparison with regular ranged weapons, or at least not be weaker than projectiles from melee weapon obtainable earlier in progression.
It inflicts frostbite which can help as a secondary weapon
Same goes for the flame thrower, which inflicted hellfire

'Worse than Terra Blade' describes almost every weapon in Hardmode up to the pillars now. But it's very hard because if Terra Blade is strong, it's OP, and if it's weak, it's not worth the big crafting tree. I like some of the other weapons (like Horseman's Blade, Sky Dragon's Fury, Flying Dragon, etc.) but Terra Blade is good enough to kill Moonlord. So I think it would be better to compare the Elf Melter to literally anything else.

It inflicts frostbite which can help as a secondary weapon
It's 25 extra dps, most weapons on that stage deal like 1.5-2k dps vs single target (elf melter 1-1.5k for example), you won't even notice it. Also you have golden shower (or other ichor sources inlcuding terrablade) or betsy's wraith as secondary weapon, with much more useful debuffs for ranger.

It's 25 extra dps, most weapons on that stage deal like 1.5-2k dps vs single target (elf melter 1-1.5k for example), you won't even notice it. Also you have golden shower (or other ichor sources inlcuding terrablade) or betsy's wraith as secondary weapon, with much more useful debuffs for ranger.
Ranger is weapons relating to guns, arrows and launchers, which are these types of weapons that deal ranged damage
Literally says their damage type in their tooltip

Terra blade deals melee damage

The top weapons (with the exception of Zenith) in the game barely reach that level of DPS without stat increases of some kind, or attacking a legitimate  army of enemies. Even solar eruption struggles to reach 2k dps on a target dummy at point blank range, which is it's maximum single target damage potential without stat increases. As for terra blade, I can't say much because I haven't used it myself

'Worse than Terra Blade' describes almost every weapon in Hardmode up to the pillars now. But it's very hard because if Terra Blade is strong, it's OP, and if it's weak, it's not worth the big crafting tree. I like some of the other weapons (like Horseman's Blade, Sky Dragon's Fury, Flying Dragon, etc.) but Terra Blade is good enough to kill Moonlord. So I think it would be better to compare the Elf Melter to literally anything else.
Terrablade is easy to craft, big crafting tree is not justification. Almost everything is just loot that you'll have anyway. The only "extra" item you need to farm is broken sword. About comparing with anything else: eventide - more piercing, infinite range, 1.5-2x dps, or eventide is also OP now?

Ranger is weapons relating to guns, arrows and launchers

Anything that deals ranged damage
Terra blade deals melee damage
You can't compare cross-class or what? Or you about secondary weapons? They called secondary for reason. don't see problems with using different class here, if you have restrictions you can use ranged weapons to apply ichor debuff (like dart pistol) it's still better than frostbite. Using flamethrower as secondary weapon is just ineffective.

The top weapons (with the exception of Zenith) in the game barely reach that level of DPS without stat increases of some kind, or attacking a legitimate  army of enemies. Even solar eruption struggles to reach 2k dps on a target dummy at point blank range, which is it's maximum single target damage potential without stat increases. As for terra blade, I can't say much because I haven't used it myself
Ofc I'm talking about real game usage with armor and accs, don't know why you've decided that it's without stat increasing. 1.5k dps is pretty mediocre for post-golem. And as I know moons (also EoL and fishron) are considered as post-golem events even if you can call them earlier.

Ofc I'm talking about real game usage with armor and accs, don't know why you've decided that it's without stat increasing. 1.5k dps is pretty mediocre for post-golem. And as I know moons (also EoL and fishron) are considered as post-golem events even if you can call them earlier.

even with stat increases, alot of post golem to pre-lunar (which isn't far in progression, might i add) will have an extremely hard time reaching the damage per second you're talking about without maximizing damage output. even among the lunar tier, the only weapons i can see easily breaching 2k dps in a real scenario are zenith, daybreak (counting the debuff) and last prism (of course, last prism can't maintain it for very long). while using weapons against crowds (which i feel is the elf melters strength) would make this much easier, it's still unfeasible for most weapons at golems area of progression.

Edit: how i forgot about stardust dragon is beyond me as well

Last edited:
even with stat increases, alot of post golem to pre-lunar (which isn't far in progression, might i add) will have an extremely hard time reaching the damage per second you're talking about without maximizing damage output. even among the lunar tier, the only weapons i can see easily breaching 2k dps in a real scenario are zenith, daybreak (counting the debuff) and last prism (of course, last prism can't maintain it for very long). while using weapons against crowds (which i feel is the elf melters strength) would make this much easier, it's still unfeasible for most weapons at golems area of progression.

Edit: how i forgot about stardust dragon is beyond me as well
You're probably using very defensive builds. Daybreak debuff alone deals 800 dps, usually you'll have like 4.5-5k dps vs moon lord core (just good dummy for testing single target dps in real combat).

You're probably using very defensive builds. Daybreak debuff alone deals 800 dps, usually you'll have like 4.5-5k dps vs moon lord core (just good dummy for testing single target dps in real combat).

i do usually gravitate towards defensive builds (life regen, damage resistance/negation).

i decided to use 3 setups (no bonus, reasonable bonus (solar flare armor, menacing celestial shell and fire gauntlet, nothing else) and nearly absolute damage output (maximum damage boosts with top-tier offensive dps accessories reforged to menacing, but no potions) with three different dummy placements for certain weapons (a weapon that is specifically single target is not getting tested against five spaced dummies), (single target, 3 dummies crowded, and 5 dummies spaced out) the single target and 3 crowded are immediate close range, the 5 spaced is close to long range

starting with the obvious best one: zenith.

maximum damage:
single dummy: 37k-42k dps
3 crowded: 90k-110k dps
5 spaced: 90k-125k dps

reasonable boost:
single dummy: 21k-24k dps
3 crowded: 74k-84k dps
5 spaced: 63k-84k dps

no boost:
single dummy: 11k-13k dps
3 crowded: 31k-36k dps
5 spaced: 23k-41k dps

i feel like the not-about-the-journey accuracy of the zenith kina hurts it in more spaced encounters, but this really isn't the point of doing this

now time for daybreak (not including the 800 single dummy, 1k 3 crowded dps due to the debuff) (not testing against 5 spaced dummy formation)

maximum boost:
single dummy: 3.6k-4.6k dps
grouped 3: 6.8k-7.8k dps

reasonable boost:
single dummy: 2.2k-2.8k dps
3 crowded: 4.2-4.8k dps

no boost:
single target: 1.2k-1.4k
3 crowded: 2.4-2.7k

solar eruption testing (again, no spaced formation and not taking the debuff into consideration)

maximum boost:
single target: 4.4-5.1k dps
3 crowded: 13k-14k dps

reasonable boost:
single target: 2.9-3.3k
3 crowded: 7.7k-8.4k

no boost:
single target: 1.5k-1.7k dps
3 crowded: 4.3k-4.6k

ah, meowmere, the most famous weapon, and the one i hate the most

all formations this time.

maximum boost:
single target straight up: 24k-27k dps
single target otherwise: 7.9k-9.5k dps
3 crowded straight up: 36-40k dps
3 crowded otherwise: 23k-25k dps
5 spaced: 23-26k dps

reasonable boost:
single target straight up: 16k-18k dps
single target otherwise: 5.4-6.1k dps
3 crowded straight up: 29k-34k dps
3 crowded otherwise: 16-18k dps
5 spaced: 15k-17k dps

no boost:
single target straight up: 7.6k-8.5k dps
single target otherwise: 2.3k-2.5k dps
3 crowded straight up: 13k-15k dps
3 crowded otherwise: 6.9k-7.5k dps
5 spaced: 7.6k-8.4k dps

so, funny thing i noticed while testing this, apparently meowmeres projectiles no longer use global i-frames, so firing them straight up will massively increase total damage per second, explaining why the 5 target dummies were bringing up the lowest numbers. so i tested it firing it straight up and firing it so bounces won't strike the same target(s) again and again.

on to star wrath, back to single and crowded formation

maximum damage:
single target: 7.4k-8.4k dps
3 crowded: 16k-19k dps

reasonable boost:
single target: 5.0-6.0k dps
3 crowded: 10k-12k dps

no boost:
single target: 2.2k-2.8k dps
3 crowded: 4.6-5.2k dps

underwhelming even after the i-frame change
peepoLeave.gif

now, for the final one i'll be testing tonight, elf melter because it's 10:30 here and i need to be up in like 9 hours, i'll be testing all formations, but because elf melter apparently caps at 4 targets, i'll be doing 4 instead of 5 so don't expect a large jump

maximum boost:
single target: 2.9k-3.3k dps
3 grouped: 7.8k-8.4k dps
pierce cap: 9.6k-10k dps

reasonable boost (which for melter would be vortex armor and celestial shell and recon scope, both menacing)
single target: 1.9k-2.2k dps
3 grouped: 4.5k-5.1k dps
pierce cap: 6.1k-6.9k dps

no boost:
single target: 500-560 dps
3 grouped: 1.3k-1.4k dps
pierce cap: 1.6k-1.8k dps

maybe i shouldn't use the cloak for the reasonable boost section because no one in their right mind would use the cloak in normal gameplay
KEKW.png

i'll have to finish (or continue this) this tomorrow

Not writing this due to the posts above, but rather because I've been continuing my Legendary Zenith run lately and one of my friends got a Terra Blade after our first post-Plantera Eclipse. In the last couple sessions, we've been gaining more melee weapons like the Paladin's Hammer, Christmas Tree Sword, Possessed Hatchet, Influx Waver, etc.
Regardless, no matter the weapon, my friend tests out the DPS and goes "Eh, it's not Terra Blade" and that weapon is never seen again. We haven't made it to the Lunar events yet but I suspect the Solar weapons will also be met with the same response. My other friend and I are almost making it our mission to convince our melee user to try something new, lol. Betsy's weapons will be next on the list.
I have no ideas on what to do with Terra Blade in terms of balance. I understand why it's strong, but it seems like such an easy pick that overshadows many other things. Any suggestion I'd make would probably just be a kneejerk reaction, and I'm not sure I wanna assist in bringing too much powercreep into the game by buffing everything else :p

I will say though, I do feel like the Paladin's Hammer should be able to hit twice per swing more consistently. I know it can at point-blank distance, but probably knocking off a few of its i-frames would be good for it. Maybe that might result in an accidental massive buff so I dunno, lol... I like its role of being able to hit high numbers compared to other weapons of its tier, but a bit of consistency would do it well. Just my thoughts for today.

It sounds like Terra Blade needs a considerable nerf. I agree with the points that it isn't hard to craft and that it shouldn't greatly outclass every other melee option until the Pillars because that makes so many melee weapons pointless. Ideally, each major melee weapon would each be the best at a given niche, but that's probably going into rework territory.

It sounds like Terra Blade needs a considerable nerf. I agree with the points that it isn't hard to craft and that it shouldn't greatly outclass every other melee option until the Pillars because that makes so many melee weapons pointless. Ideally, each major melee weapon would each be the best at a given niche, but that's probably going into rework territory.
I feel like it should be post golem
While True Night's Edge and True Excalibur should be post plantera

I feel like it should be post golem
While True Night's Edge and True Excalibur should be post plantera
I kinda disagree with these. The True Night's Calibur are in fine places right now without feeling too busted. At least the True Night's Edge compares with other long-ranged weapons like the Chain Guillotines and Sergeant United Shield. And True Excalibur has the niche of being close-ranged but with good coverage and damage.
Putting Terra Blade after Golem though would complicate things... and push it back even further into the game compared to when it was first released. It's a great melee option for the Seasonal Moons as well. We'd probably have to find some other way to rebalance it, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom