Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the Water seed and thought of another I kinda want to see. A Desert+Snow seed where the entire surface is composed of said biomes with winds commonly reaching high speeds and rain to trigger Sandstorms and Blizzards. (The Temple and Dungeon could still be buried in the Desert & Snow respectively.)

As added mechanic, making the player get chilled during blizzards and at night without shelter would be a nice touch. Also being set on fire if on the desert on clear days for extended an period.

The two oceans could even be a dry ocean and a frigid ocean so there’s space for some cool concepts there.

A survival seed in a different manner than the constant seed.

Last edited:
Ah yes, Eater of Worlds.
Let's talk about that.
Currently Eater of Worlds is extremely easy to thwart for multiple reasons, starting with it's low contact damage, on Classic, it's head deals 22 damage, upped to 48 on Expert, respectable. However, it's middle segments deal a measly 13, only upped to 20 on Expert. This is way lower than Brain of Cthulhu, which deals 30 from contact and 20 on the Creepers, these are Classic Mode stats even. The Eye of Cthulhu has 30 contact damage in phase 1 in Expert Mode, for reference.

That's one piece of the puzzle, but there's still more.
It's low per segment health causes a unique weakness, when a segment is killed it loses much of it's speed, this is fine on it's own but when combined with it's low segment health it allows for an extremely easy strategy of just waiting for Eater to line up horizontally and blasting em' with a piercing weapon down the long corridors of the Corruption, Eater of Worlds will get stuck in a feedback loop of getting it's head destroyed and trying to follow you but failing due to it's gimped speed, with this repeating till death.

And one more thing, Eater of World has a mechanic in Expert+ where it gains move speed and shoots more Vile Spit when fought aboveground, which actually makes it much more threatening. It's unfortunate that this does the boss no favors underground.

So, what to change?
Let's start with the damage, 22/48/72 is decent. But not good enough to deter just standing still and wailing on it, you'll only be getting hit by the head a few times before the boss dies usually. Let's go up to something like 30, which is the Same contact damage as Queen Bee and Brain of Cthulhu, keeping the multiplier about the same it would be 30/66/99.
Making it a good incentive not to stand still and take it. Let's say 23 for Middle segments, so 23/34/55. Tail can be 20 or something, it doesn't matter as much as the first two.

Here's the most radical change, let's revert the segment count from 67/72 back to 50, but in exchange it shall gain a health buff on all segments from 150 to 210,
making the formula 210/294/373. This gives Eater a new total base health from 10,050 to 10,500, In addition, give a buff of 2 base defense on each segment giving it 4/6/10 in Classic and 6/8/12 in Expert+.

Finally, let's remove the aboveground speed boost and make it the base Expert+ speed, same for vile spit firerate, now being the same aboveground as underground,
with all these other buffs though let's nerf Vile Spit some, with a firerate decrease, and cutting the damage from 64/96 to 50/75.

With these buffs Eater of Worlds should turn from a pushover to a slightly genuine threat.
Whew.

With all that said though, that's a lot of changes.
I've been making so many fake patch notes, lists, and suggestions...
I think it's time I stepped back and just... Thanked the team behind this game.

So. Thank you. Thank you to Lienfors, Red, Cenx, and everyone else on the team.
This game means a lot to me, I may not have started playing till much later on. But I was watching videos from back when 1.0 first released, when I was just a stupid kid.
I'm sorry if I've come across as overly demanding, making all these tedious to read textwalls.
And thanks to the community, for putting up with me, social events aren't usually my thing. Hopefully I at least had some good ideas to share.

Heh, what a dumb sappy post to end out on.
This'll probably be the last you see of me, I'll just go back to lurking now. It's what I'm comfortable with.

What about mixing of ankh shield with pocket mirror?! It fits it really really well. And for the recipe just add the mirror after shield. (Maybe redraw it's sprite so mirror will be visible from rear side of shield (aka like in most film scenes about fighting medusa (aka looking on reflection on shield)))

What about mixing of ankh shield with pocket mirror?! It fits it really really well. And for the recipe just add the mirror after shield. (Maybe redraw it's sprite so mirror will be visible from rear side of shield (aka like in most film scenes about fighting medusa (aka looking on reflection on shield)))
Wouldn’t really make the Ankh Shield any more useful due to how useless the Pocket Mirror is. It would only make the shield even harder to craft.

Such a quiet idea, let the Opposing Evil boss in Hardmode get the stat boost, making him a Hardmode level boss from Opposing Evil.

Or a crazier idea, add an option (for example, when creating a world) that after killing the Wall of Flesh, the world is covered with Hallow and the Opposite Evil that Wall of Flesh has so far guarded.

He specifically said after the shield for that exact reason.

Although, ankh shield + pocket mirror sounds pretty cool, maybe call it the prism reflector or something
I would just call it the Mirror Shield, honestly

1642991357461.png

What a mess this thread has been since it re-opened. Honestly, I'd just not make any further "balance" changes at this stage; there's nothing egregiously out of place anyway.

I don't think so at all. The thread has generally been very constructive, and I greatly appreciate how cordial and well thought out people's feedback has been.

I've seen dozens of great QoL ideas, and hundreds of reasonable balance changes. There are definitely a few, as you put it, "egregiously" out of place things I can still tidy up. And though my list of proposed changes is comprised of many things based on my own assessment, it is heavily influenced by the posts I've seen here, and I look forward to seeing a great many of them in practice (either close to their original form or modified to a degree).

Maybe for really rare enemies (like Nymphs), change the number of kills required for a banner to 10?
So they should get changes to the Bestiary as well (in single player mode, getting the banner is equal to the maximum entry in most cases). Instead of 1-10-25-50, it should be 1-3-6-10.

Besides, a simple and interesting idea, after defeating Moon Lord, Golden Slimes will rarely appear on ordinary worlds. This will allow them to be entered in the bestiary.

Also, after defeating King Slime, we should receive a bestiary entry for Spike Slimes.

Last edited:
Maybe for really rare enemies (like Nymphs), change the number of kills required for a banner to 10?
So they should get changes to the Bestiary as well (in single player mode, getting the banner is equal to the maximum entry in most cases). Instead of 1-10-25-50, it should be 1-3-6-10.

Besides, a simple and interesting idea, after defeating Moon Lord, Golden Slimes will rarely appear on ordinary worlds. This will allow them to be entered in the bestiary.

Also, after defeating King Slime, we should receive a bestiary entry for Spike Slimes.
It'd be great if the number of kills required was dependent on the number of stars in general.

EDIT:
Something like this:
1* = 50 kills
2* = 40 kills
3* = 30 kills
4* = 20 kills
5* = 10 kills

Last edited:
It would be really great if the Deerclops would get a message before spawning in a blizzard such as, you hear a chilling groan from afar. So that you can see him coming and decide whether or not you would want to fight him to prevent getting spawn killed by him when you have a spawn point in your town. Also, prevent him from spawning naturally when you have defeated him before.

Here is my suggestions:
1. Slime staff as a drop from King Slime.

2. Option to completely disable zoom in sniper scope.
Well, I don’t think that they would make a 0.001% chance to get a drop from the first boss you face. Maybe it would be good in Master Mode, but probably not in classic or expert.

As for the Sniper Rifle, all you have to do is not use the zoom. It can get annoying sometimes, but it’s not that bad, and having something that disables it completely would just ruin it and then it would only be a high-powered gun, not a high-powered gun that can shoot enimies from super far away. The point of the Sniper is, well, to snipe enemies, not just to be a high-powered gun.

You want to have to defeat bosses (5 star monsters) 10 times to get their drops in the Bestiary?

Currently those only need 1 kill.
Every 5 star monster except bosses.

Well, I don’t think that they would make a 0.001% chance to get a drop from the first boss you face. Maybe it would be good in Master Mode, but probably not in classic or expert.
I think he meant like a king slime-only drop (with a higher chance).

EDIT:
If he meant that, I 100% agree with him because it would made the slime staff more useful.

Last edited:
Make it so that certain enemies can spawn below the player, instead of just left/right. Having to build special farms just for a few banners is very irritating. Specifically, Spore Skeletons/Zombies, World Feeders and all sandstorm mobs will only spawn left/right of the payer, not below.

I've had my mushroom mob farm on banner mode for an hour, and this is what's been obtained:
1643039192127.png

As you can see, no Spore Skeletons/Zombies. [EDIT: If they're meant to be rare creatures, make hem show up on the Lifeform Analyser].

The body of water that the Corrupt Goldfish & Fungo Fish spawn in is 4x2, and I've still got 3 Fungo Fish banners; 3 more than Spore Skeletons/Zombies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom