Switch Kill Count Glitch...Stops working altogether...randomly starts working again.

So having a problem with the Tally Counter and the total Kill Count. I get that it doesn't keep track of kills caused by traps or lava. However, I noticed that once a mob is killed in this fashion, the Tally Counter stops keeping track of kills, even if I kill them physically with a weapon. I've tried saving and reloading the world, even restarting Terraria. But the kill counter remains stuck on the world it was on. It also sometimes corrects itself, but I haven't figured out if it's a random occurrence of if it was something that I did. Still troubleshooting. Will post a follow-up.

You may also want to check this issue with the XBox One version as well. It happened to me on my worlds on that system as well.

So did a lot of playing yesterday. The bug is that once a mob is killed via lava or lingering damage, the kill count for the tally counter stops keeping count altogether.
...I've also noticed that the glitch also happens when defeating a mob with weapons that also have the ability to deal lingering damage. Such as Molten weapons and Chlorophite weapons.
...After A lot of trying things like changing worlds, reloading worlds, making new weapons and switching weapons to no avail, I noticed the Tally Counter started keep tracking of kills again after I had weapon reforged by the Goblin Tinkerer.
...I repeated my steps of glitching the Tally Counter and reforging a weapon and it worked a second time.

So the current hotfix for banner collectors, is to never use any kind of debuffs caused by weapons, lava, traps, or other alternate sources. If this happens, get a weapon reforged.

Hope this helps.

So having a problem with the Tally Counter and the total Kill Count. I get that it doesn't keep track of kills caused by traps or lava. However, I noticed that once a mob is killed in this fashion, the Tally Counter stops keeping track of kills, even if I kill them physically with a weapon. I've tried saving and reloading the world, even restarting Terraria. But the kill counter remains stuck on the world it was on. It also sometimes corrects itself, but I haven't figured out if it's a random occurrence of if it was something that I did. Still troubleshooting. Will post a follow-up.

You may also want to check this issue with the XBox One version as well. It happened to me on my worlds on that system as well.
So did a lot of playing yesterday. The bug is that once a mob is killed via lava or lingering damage, the kill count for the tally counter stops keeping count altogether.
...I've also noticed that the glitch also happens when defeating a mob with weapons that also have the ability to deal lingering damage. Such as Molten weapons and Chlorophite weapons.
...After A lot of trying things like changing worlds, reloading worlds, making new weapons and switching weapons to no avail, I noticed the Tally Counter started keep tracking of kills again after I had weapon reforged by the Goblin Tinkerer.
...I repeated my steps of glitching the Tally Counter and reforging a weapon and it worked a second time.

So the current hotfix for banner collectors, is to never use any kind of debuffs caused by weapons, lava, traps, or other alternate sources. If this happens, get a weapon reforged.

Hope this helps.
Great info @LethargicGiraffe, thanks for all the detail. If you haven’t already I encourage you to send this directly to the development team here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

That's an amazing job recognizing the problem and finding a fix. For me it was exactly like you said, the lava killing an enemy stopped my tally counter, except reforging didn't start it back up. Fortunately, I used my bottomless water bucket and it started working again. If you don't have the unlimited water bucket then make a bucket, fill it with water and dump it out. Hope this helps. Ty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom