Game Mechanics Location saved on Exiting world

Then dont fall in there, make sure to have platforms, or die and respawn.
I can't explain how bad of a first time experience that can be.
Sorry, but you're making the game less player-friendly that way.
Essentially people will "just die and respawn" instead.

I don't consider save&exit as an exploit, more just an emergency option/failsave.
If Terraria wouldn't allow it, then it would've been a thing by now.

Last edited:
I dont see why it would be difficult to save a x and y coordinate and just spawn the player there on rejoining
I think they're talking about the NPC spawning instead. That's a LOT of extra memory and code needed for something really minor. If I saved and quit on FTW with 30 enemies and a boss, That's 31 extra NPCs at minimum to keep track of. And many bosses have multiple parts (Skeletron Prime with his 4 limbs for example) so they'd have to be saved too.

So location wise? That's easy to implement, but keeping track of all the NPCs is a coding nightmare. Even the permanent ones like Town NPCs all just get teleported back to their houses upon reloading

no, i'm talking about keeping track of if a player would be considered taking part in a boss fight if they leave and rejoin, as that seems incredibly difficult to code without running into huge issues, such as permanently rendering a player unable to fight bosses because they aren't correctly being targeted due to a bug with the coding

But the game remembers the locations of thousands of blocks and items? why is NPCs so much harder?
Blocks are stationary and unchanging. The only real time blocks change is by natural spread (Such as Ebonstone spread) or Player Interaction (Activating a Boulder trap). Once the World is generated, The game loads every single block at once and it can handle them since they are stationary. Chests apply too with their own data stored as well.

Items and NPCs have spawn limits and will vanish when you leave the world. Some are guaranteed to be back (Like the Oldman) for progression purposes, but that Oldman has its position reset to his spawn point every time you rejoin. If he had his exact position saved, that’d be a lot of extra memory which could lag the game. And some enemies like Giant Worms would completely break since they spawn in their head first followed by the rest of their body, meaning you could get something like a worm with 1 head and 2 tails (I’ve never tested this on giant worms myself, so could be completely different but still buggy)
no, i'm talking about keeping track of if a player would be considered taking part in a boss fight if they leave and rejoin, as that seems incredibly difficult to code without running into huge issues, such as permanently rendering a player unable to fight bosses because they aren't correctly being targeted due to a bug with the coding
Good point on that too, it’d lag boss fights a lot with it occurring potentially as well

If he had his exact position saved, that’d be a lot of extra memory which could lag the game.
How is the position of a NPC taking up more memory than the position of blocks? isn't it just a coordinate?

We are discussing if this would be a coding nightmare or not which is probably something that the developers knows best, but I do wonder why you think it would require a "LOT" of extra memory and be a coding nightmare.

I understand that NPCs and mobs are also moving and changing which would have to be stored also in the memory, but isn't this already working while pausing and unpausing the game? Or tabing out and tabing in? I understand that the game uses memory while paused, but cant this be stored in the world file when exit&saving?

Ultimately I think this is a necessary change for realism and balance, and any side effects such as the potential to trap players is a necessary evil (and besides, like I said, they should not get a free teleport away just by relogging). And the boss thing someone brought up is irrelevant as it can still be done now even without this change (by fighting the boss at your world spawn).
I still don't understand how relogging is such a big problem that you're willing to trade it for whole other problems. With how recall potions are so abundane and how easy to get a magic mirror, you probably already have either of them within the first hour of your playthrough. The only timeframe that this can be count as exploit is probably only when you just start fresh.

Last edited:
I still don't understand how relogging is such a big problem that you're willing to trade it for whole other problems. With how recall potions are so abundane and how easy to get a magic mirror, you probably already have either of them within the first hour of your playthrough. The only timeframe that this can be count as exploit is probably only when you just start fresh.
I apologize for interrupting your response, but I believe that the 'whole other problems' you mentioned might not be as obvious. You mentioned that this change could render beds obsolete. However, wouldn't there still be a need to use beds for setting a spawn point, allowing you to return there when using a return item or utilizing the sleeping ability? Additionally, you mentioned an abuse mechanic, but what exactly does this entail?

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that during our initial hours of play, we didn't have any recall potions or magic mirrors. And when we finally obtained some recall potions, they were often depleted quickly. The fact that we could simply leave and rejoin to trigger a recall every time is something that bothers me.

You mentioned that this change could render beds obsolete. However, wouldn't there still be a need to use beds for setting a spawn point, allowing you to return there when using a return item or utilizing the sleeping ability? Additionally, you mentioned an abuse mechanic, but what exactly does this entail?
Why would I even need to change a spawn point with the bed anyway? I literally only even done that because I need to pause in the middle of exploration, otherwise I was perfectly fine to just go back to the natural spawn point.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that during our initial hours of play, we didn't have any recall potions or magic mirrors. And when we finally obtained some recall potions, they were often depleted quickly. The fact that we could simply leave and rejoin to trigger a recall every time is something that bothers me.
Are we even playing the same game?

According to official wiki, there are 2/3 chance that you can find a bunch of recall potions from surface and underground chests, that would already covered for several return trips. Recall potion is also the most common one you can find from breaking pots above cavern level.
But in multiplayer you would more often get Wormhole potion from pots instead, which is pretty much a Recall potion but better. They are really abundance.

If I understand it correctly, magic mirror is 1 of 9 guaruntee primary loots from underground chest. And you have and even higher chance in case of an ice mirror, 1/5 chance. A few exploration trips bound to net you at least one.

You can even save up for piggy bank first, now death is free recall for softcore.

And I just found this out since I never have the need to before, but apparently, magic mirror is craftable.

Last edited:
Why would I even need to change a spawn point with the bed anyway? I literally only even done that because I need to pause in the middle of exploration, otherwise I was perfectly fine to just go back to the natural spawn point.
We want to change the spawn point to a bed for several reasons. This would allow us to spawn in a safe room, close to backup equipment, and at the house nearest to our exploration and primary activities.

However, when considering a feature that could make beds obsolete, it's important to encompass all aspects of the bed's functionality. This includes their sleeping mechanic and visual representation.
Are we even playing the same game?

According to official wiki, there are 2/3 chance that you can find a bunch of recall potions from surface and underground chests, that would already covered for several return trips. Recall potion is also the most common one you can find from breaking pots above cavern level.
But in multiplayer you would more often get Wormhole potion from pots instead, which is pretty much a Recall potion but better. They are really abundance.

If I understand it correctly, magic mirror is 1 of 9 guaruntee primary loots from underground chest. And you have and even higher chance in case of an ice mirror, 1/5 chance. A few exploration trips bound to net you at least one.

You can even save up for piggy bank first, now death is free recall for softcore.

And I just found this out since I never have the need to before, but apparently, magic mirror is craftable.
Well, we haven't explored the entire surface, and certainly not the complete underground. I don't know what else to share with you apart from the fact that 'recall potions weren't abundant for us.' A contributing factor could be the difficulty settings, as we're playing on master mode and mediumcore. Each exploration trip is approached with caution, and recall potions prove incredibly useful for safely returning home. This, in turn, increases their usage.

The blocks and items don't have an AI? I don't know.
Once again, I understand how this could increase complexity since additional information, such as AI state, would need to be saved. However, as I've mentioned before, doesn't the game already perform this action when pausing and unpausing? Why can't this memory be incorporated into the world file during exit and saving?

Regarding location, is it a set of coordinates?

As of now, you can leave a world anytime/anywhere and reappear back at world spawn allowing it to be used as a get out of jail free card also preventing the need for a potion or return or magic mirror.

If youre in a bad situation, especially in hardcore mode, you can get back to spawn with no downside.

Leaving should never be a game mechanic. Please save player's locations when leaving worlds.
Well you could easily exploit that to get rid of monsters near you

The Magic Mirror is crafted with the following components:
  • Glass (×10)
  • Platinum / Gold Bar (×8)
  • Diamond (×3)
Within my first hour of gameplay, I tend to not have platinum and gold on me. So, yes, it's craftable, but it's made to be used for players who had missed getting one during expeditions to the caverns and underground.

We want to change the spawn point to a bed for several reasons. This would allow us to spawn in a safe room, close to backup equipment, and at the house nearest to our exploration and primary activities.
I mean, I just built my base around my spawn point, and simply just use pylons to go around.

However, when considering a feature that could make beds obsolete, it's important to encompass all aspects of the bed's functionality. This includes their sleeping mechanic and visual representation.
Yeah, my poor choice of words. I never used bed for sleep so I was just considering bed as only a spawn point.

Well, we haven't explored the entire surface, and certainly not the complete underground. I don't know what else to share with you apart from the fact that 'recall potions weren't abundant for us.' A contributing factor could be the difficulty settings, as we're playing on master mode and mediumcore. Each exploration trip is approached with caution, and recall potions prove incredibly useful for safely returning home. This, in turn, increases their usage.
While expert/master mode mean double the chance of potions from pots, I can understand that mediumcore would greatly change the playstyle compared to softcore. I simply speaking from my experience in my last playthrough on master mode softcore.
Although I would never understand why there might be people who go out of their way to play on mediumcore/hardcore just to cheese it with relogging. They are purely for challenging yourself, it's not like there is exclusive loot there like expert/master mode.

Another thing I never done since as a softcore I can play more risky and find more recall potions than I need, but I just want to point out that it is very easy to craft, just need an underground fish and a daybloom.

The Magic Mirror is crafted with the following components:
  • Glass (×10)
  • Platinum / Gold Bar (×8)
  • Diamond (×3)
Within my first hour of gameplay, I tend to not have platinum and gold on me. So, yes, it's craftable, but it's made to be used for players who had missed getting one during expeditions to the caverns and underground.
Yeah, when I said the first hour I mean getting either a bunch of potions or getting a mirror from chests. I just wanted to point out that even if you are very unlucky and never find a single mirror, it's still craftable.

Last edited:
I mean, I just built my base around my spawn point, and simply just use pylons to go around.
This is understandable; however, pylons are limited to one per biome and only work under certain circumstances.

Although I would never understand why there might be people who go out of their way to play on mediumcore/hardcore just to cheese it with relogging. They are purely for challenging yourself, it's not like there is exclusive loot there like expert/master mode.
Yes, we wouldn't want to cheese it either, but the fact that there is such an obvious way of doing it is simply bothersome. However, perhaps an even bigger issue I have is that your exploration progress is lost with the current setup.
Another thing I never done since as a softcore I can play more risky and find more recall potions than I need, but I just want to point out that it is very easy to craft, just need an underground fish and a daybloom.
Yes, now that we have established a safe way to reach a fishing spot in the cavern, we have easy access to recall potions.

How about this, exiting the world far away from your spawn point will cause you death instead? That way you can't abuse it. The normal gameplay won't change much aside from making sure you either get back home or build a quick spawn point at your location first before exit the game, and you still have a 'kill yourself' button to get out of softlock.

Last edited:
This suggestion just makes the game more annoying for no reason, idk why you still think its a great idea.
I also don't really agree with it as it would be a waste of space most likely. Also most suggestions don't get added so why are you saying that aceplane wants this in this is nearly a year old and peoples opinions can change.

I also don't really agree with it as it would be a waste of space most likely. Also most suggestions don't get added so why are you saying that aceplane wants this in this is nearly a year old and peoples opinions can change.
Saving a ton of NPCs/Enemies, sure. Would be a waste of space. But saving the player at least shouldnt be that hard

Saving a ton of NPCs/Enemies, sure. Would be a waste of space. But saving the player at least shouldnt be that hard
But then people would just abuse it to get rid of enemies. No matter what 'solution' we find, there'll be some sort of problem that we can't solve about it.

Personally, I only use saving and exiting when I am stuck in a cave and haven't got recall potions or a magic mirror yet. (I get extremely unlucky and rarely get recall potions when I need them.)

How about this, exiting the world far away from your spawn point will cause you death instead? That way you can't abuse it. The normal gameplay won't change much aside from making sure you either get back home or build a quick spawn point at your location first before exit the game, and you still have a 'kill yourself' button to get out of softlock.
Perhaps there could be a simpler method to choose death for those concerned about getting stuck without a recall potion and 'no way of getting out.'

However, concerning rejoining, I don't believe this would address the problem of lost exploration progression. Moreover, this wouldn't align with logical expectations, and it would be frustrating if I were penalized by losing all my items simply because I wanted or needed to stop playing.
Why would it be considered a waste of space? Personally, I believe it's crucial for NPCs and Enemies to be saved, as otherwise, rejoining the game would simply eliminate any enemy-related issues.

Have you thought about the fact that when we pause the game, these elements are saved and function correctly? Why couldn't this information be saved in the world file upon exiting and saving? Additionally, the world already stores data for thousands of blocks and item states. So, why would the inclusion of a 'few' NPCs and mobs pose a significant problem? Despite having more information to store, they still amount to far fewer than blocks and items, for instance.

Back
Top Bottom