Game Mechanics Location saved on Exiting world

First of all, this suggestion is regarding leaving and rejoining the world, so not sure how an inventory toggle would work with that unless you're implying you set it ahead of time before you leave the world?

Also, as I explained in an earlier response, being able to choose whether you warp back to spawn or not is even worse! That would allow you to still get a free recall potion back to spawn the way it works now, but at your discretion whenever you feel like it. At least right now, being able to get a free recall back to spawn has the one downside that it happens every time and you cannot control it, even if you wanted to stay wherever you were.

also... I kind of just realized this "mechanic" negatively impacts builders and explorers, while providing an abusable cheese mechanic for everyone else...
Sorry, I can see that, I meant if you craft it with like a magic mirror and drop it in shimmer. Or not! The main thing with returning to spawn up when you leave is that it resets most things, bossfights and such, if you left and came back to the same position in a bossfight, it would just disappear. If you came back and the boss was still there, the game might be too hard in a way, or not! You don’t have to listen to my suggestion at all,

Sorry, I can see that, I meant if you craft it with like a magic mirror and drop it in shimmer. Or not! The main thing with returning to spawn up when you leave is that it resets most things, bossfights and such, if you left and came back to the same position in a bossfight, it would just disappear. If you came back and the boss was still there, the game might be too hard in a way, or not! You don’t have to listen to my suggestion at all,
oh I think that enemies and bosses should be saved too, but saving location would be the first step

Last edited:
Flip side of the coin…I like leaving a world I’m casually building in then when I load it again I’m back at spawn. So I suggest a setting for Journey Mode to turn this off if it’s added. Not sure if someone already said this or not.

Flip side of the coin…I like leaving a world I’m casually building in then when I load it again I’m back at spawn. So I suggest a setting for Journey Mode to turn this off if it’s added. Not sure if someone already said this or not.
It has, a few times, but no one has mentioned journey mode... I would MAYBE be okay with a toggle on journey mode specifically, but having a toggle on normal, master, expert etc ruins the whole point.

It has, a few times, but no one has mentioned journey mode... I would MAYBE be okay with a toggle on journey mode specifically, but having a toggle on normal, master, expert etc ruins the whole point.
I agree, and journey mode has so much other customization I think it would only work there

This thread has been active a lot, but for my part I can't decide if I'm for or against this suggestion. On the one hand, it's messing with something that I don't think needs to be messed with. It's true that exiting and rejoining the world acts as a free Recall potion, and that can be very powerful, especially if you're playing with Autopause and want to get out of a tight spot. But it's very very slow to exit and rejoin, and it also costs you a few things, such as all of your buffs and any items that are on the ground. It also gets directly outclassed pretty quickly in almost all worlds, because it's not very tough to get a Magic Mirror, which just does everything this does but better. I don't see people doing this "exploit" all that much.

"Fixing" this issue, which I put in quotation marks because I'm not convinced it's an issue, could also cause problems for new and inexperienced players, who might get stuck for a really long time underground if they can't find a Magic Mirror, or don't know how it works. I can easily someone getting turned off from the game because they can't find their way out of the caves.

Over the course of writing this comment, I've made my decision. All in all, I think it's best to just leave this feature as it is. I do understand the argument for fixing it, but I don't believe that it's a big enough problem to warrant a change like this.

It also gets directly outclassed pretty quickly in almost all worlds, because it's not very tough to get a Magic Mirror, which just does everything this does but better. I don't see people doing this "exploit" all that much.
This is absolutely true; you get the Magic Mirror very early in your playthrough. But I see this as a reason for why the forced teleportation to your spawning point is a bad thing. The problem here is more that players are forced to be teleported back when rejoining, making it more tedious for players who build somewhere without a pylon. Every time we rejoin, we have to get back there to continue building. If we are exploring, we can't take a break because when we rejoin, we will be back at spawn. If we wanted to get back to spawn, we would just use the mirror.
cause problems for new and inexperienced players, who might get stuck for a really long time underground if they can't find a Magic Mirror, or don't know how it works. I can easily someone getting turned off from the game because they can't find their way out of the caves.
What new players expect to get is a free recall back to spawn the first time they are exploring the world? I don't see how newer players will become upset that they lost their way back to spawn and can't use the map for some reason.

I would like to say that as a new player I didn't even know about the leave and rejoin trick. When I found the jungle for the first time with pre-boss gear and no mirror, with no knowledge of much aside from "jungle scary", I literally slowly walked all the way back to spawn (I had no recalls and no running boots). I don't think I ever used the trick in my first few runs, and even now I only use it in emergencies.
That said I don't support this. I can't really find the words to explain why sadly, but I don't see a point in this.

...it also costs you a few things, such as all of your buffs and any items that are on the ground.
Then perhaps these should be saved too! I honestly dont see any reason why buffs need to be cleared. Perhaps they did this so you cant bring buffs between worlds? But you can already bring players and items between worlds sooo why not buffs? If they keep items, wouldnt it make sense for them to keep their buffs too?

"Fixing" this issue, which I put in quotation marks because I'm not convinced it's an issue, could also cause problems for new and inexperienced players, who might get stuck for a really long time underground if they can't find a Magic Mirror, or don't know how it works. I can easily someone getting turned off from the game because they can't find their way out of the caves.
Thats the whole point. You should never plunge down into a cave without knowing and having a way out. This can be done with rope or torches... you know, how we do in Minecraft? Or if all else fails there's always death...

I kind of agree with this suggestion. My main gripe is with hardcore; you can easily get out of a sticky situation. Even on normal mode good players can mess up and put themselves in a risky situation, but existing and re-entering the world can fix the issue especially with a boss. Here’s the thing—players are always going to have a method of cheesing. Some methods less obvious and convoluted than others, sure, but if you think changing how leaving and entering the world is going to fix cheesing for a lot of bosses in reality it won’t. Putting this level of restriction on the player is just not going to fix the problem of cheesing and will be of more inconvenience to more players than not.

All in all, there isn’t much of a reason to change this, and changing it will probably leave way more frustrated than those satisfied. It’ll be better to just leave it as is.

Never because people will just use Alt+F4 or otherly abuse this. It can destroy speedruns. Hardcore is alreday difficult even with this. You're saying like it's easier than journey mode and can save from explosives. This idea can cause conflicts. So it's already bad at least because of this.

oh I think that enemies and bosses should be saved too, but saving location would be the first step
What if there's an overabundance of enemies, and it's causing someones pc to lag? The best solution would be to save and quit. What if a player gets stuck in the corruption chasms, without any bombs, blocks, or recalls? They're now softlocked and forced to sacrifice themselves to get back to their base, which would pose a large problem for mediumcore, and just end the run for hardcore players.

What if there's an overabundance of enemies, and it's causing someones pc to lag? The best solution would be to save and quit. What if a player gets stuck in the corruption chasms, without any bombs, blocks, or recalls? They're now softlocked and forced to sacrifice themselves to get back to their base, which would pose a large problem for mediumcore, and just end the run for hardcore players.
Then hopefully you've learned your lesson?
traveling is a pain already early game I do not want it to be worse especially if you're stuck somewhere
then dont get stuck?

Back
Top Bottom