Game Mechanics Location saved on Exiting world

What kind of soft lock scenarios are you talking about?

If this change would be possible to add I would be very happy
one is where you get unbreakable blocks, like dungeon or lizhard blocks by getting the picksaw before other players on the same world, then surrounding their spawn with it, and if you take into account everything they could use to escape then you can spawn lock them forever

one is where you get unbreakable blocks, like dungeon or lizhard blocks by getting the picksaw before other players on the same world, then surrounding their spawn with it, and if you take into account everything they could use to escape then you can spawn lock them forever
Seems more like a griefing issue than a problem with the game mechanics. I suppose you shouldn't play with people who want to hinder your ability to play or destroy your worlds and buildings.

Perhaps there could be a simpler method to choose death for those concerned about getting stuck without a recall potion and 'no way of getting out.'

However, concerning rejoining, I don't believe this would address the problem of lost exploration progression. Moreover, this wouldn't align with logical expectations, and it would be frustrating if I were penalized by losing all my items simply because I wanted or needed to stop playing.
You don't carry a bed with you to build a quick save point? That what I did every time. Even if I don't lose items as a softcore, unnecessary traveling is still frustrating.

You don't carry a bed with you to build a quick save point? That what I did every time. Even if I don't lose items as a softcore, unnecessary traveling is still frustrating.
Perhaps we would consider it if there were no need to construct a house for it. However, even if building a house were not required, I would still strongly prefer having the character's location saved.

Unnecessary travel is undeniably frustrating and potentially hazardous...

Personally, I don't make small houss to save exploration progress, I just go back through to where I left off, only takes about 5-10 minutes, tops.

I think this would be a really bothersome change, yet im not fully against it? Basically, im used to teleporting back to base, but using a magic mirror every time i join the game if i want to go to spawn then wouldnt be too big of an issue, but most people usually just go back to spawn anyway when they're done with a session of the game and are going to leave, and honestly this suggestions seems like something that could be slightly annoying more than its helpful to the game overall. It's a great un-softlocker, and getting places (especially with pylons and pre-hardmode teleporters) isnt that big an issue if you want to keep farming somewhere. Its more of a really rare usefulness and other times annoyance. With how many recall potions you have access to, not to mention how early you usually get the magic mirror blah blah long rant where i constantly repeat myself.

tl;dr this suggestion seems annoying at most

maybe a solution could be simply beds dont require housing, so if u wanna save ur position in a cave or something then u can put a bed down just minecraft, that way the mechanics stay exactly the same except ur able to choose when u want to bypass it, and i cant really see a super good reason why u would need an entire house to use a bed

maybe a solution could be simply beds dont require housing, so if u wanna save ur position in a cave or something then u can put a bed down just minecraft, that way the mechanics stay exactly the same except ur able to choose when u want to bypass it, and i cant really see a super good reason why u would need an entire house to use a bed
Currently you have to in order to set your spawn point, so you dont have to travel all the way back to wherever you were since currently, everyone is forced back to spawn every time you log in whether you like it or not.

Currently you have to in order to set your spawn point, so you dont have to travel all the way back to wherever you were since currently, everyone is forced back to spawn every time you log in whether you like it or not.
not trying to be mean but i cannot understand the sentence, idk why but i simply cannot comprehend, i dont even know if ur with ur against the idea

not trying to be mean but i cannot understand the sentence, idk why but i simply cannot comprehend, i dont even know if ur with ur against the idea
I am saying that currently, you do have to build a house if you want to set your spawn point with a bed (since they require housing). This, obviously, is tedious to do and forces you to carry blocks/walls/wood for a table/chair? But it's what you have to do if you want to set your spawn point. Because if you dont, you'll be sent back to spawn every time you leave and rejoin the world regardless of whether you want to be back at spawn or not.

Luckily there is a solution! If locations were saved upon exiting worlds, this would allow players to stay wherever they were and pick up right where they left off exploring or building! And if you do want to be back at spawn, there's literally several items for that.

I am against the current "getting sent back to spawn every time" mechanic becuase it can be used as a get out of jail free card to get away from bosses, enemies, or any other situation so you dont lose your items or coins. It currently works as a free recall potion without actually needing to have or use one, negating the need to actually travel back to your house and plan way out before just jumping down into caves.

And somehow my latest suggestion was ignored.

How about this, exiting the world far away from your spawn point will cause you death instead? That way you can't abuse it. The normal gameplay won't change much aside from making sure you either get back home or build a quick spawn point at your location first before exit the game, and you still have a 'kill yourself' button to get out of softlock.

I am saying that currently, you do have to build a house if you want to set your spawn point with a bed (since they require housing). This, obviously, is tedious to do and forces you to carry blocks/walls/wood for a table/chair? But it's what you have to do if you want to set your spawn point. Because if you dont, you'll be sent back to spawn every time you leave and rejoin the world regardless of whether you want to be back at spawn or not.

Luckily there is a solution! If locations were saved upon exiting worlds, this would allow players to stay wherever they were and pick up right where they left off exploring or building! And if you do want to be back at spawn, there's literally several items for that.

I am against the current "getting sent back to spawn every time" mechanic becuase it can be used as a get out of jail free card to get away from bosses, enemies, or any other situation so you dont lose your items or coins. It currently works as a free recall potion without actually needing to have or use one, negating the need to actually travel back to your house and plan way out before just jumping down into caves.
ah yes i totally agree thanks for the reply

How about this, exiting the world far away from your spawn point will cause you death instead? That way you can't abuse it. The normal gameplay won't change much aside from making sure you either get back home or build a quick spawn point at your location first before exit the game, and you still have a 'kill yourself' button to get out of softlock.
I feel like this would be really bad, and cause a to of unfair deaths. Having to teleport to spawn before leaving the game would be really annoying too.

My idea is that I agree with this, but you can craft a permanent upgrade with the magic mirror that changes this, but it’s post eol or boc.

I like this idea, but there should be a toggleable upgrade for it.

My idea is that I agree with this, but you can craft a permanent upgrade with the magic mirror that changes this, but it’s post eol or boc.

I like this idea, but there should be a toggleable upgrade for it.
First of all, this suggestion is regarding leaving and rejoining the world, so not sure how an inventory toggle would work with that unless you're implying you set it ahead of time before you leave the world?

Also, as I explained in an earlier response, being able to choose whether you warp back to spawn or not is even worse! That would allow you to still get a free recall potion back to spawn the way it works now, but at your discretion whenever you feel like it. At least right now, being able to get a free recall back to spawn has the one downside that it happens every time and you cannot control it, even if you wanted to stay wherever you were.

also... I kind of just realized this "mechanic" negatively impacts builders and explorers, while providing an abusable cheese mechanic for everyone else...

Back
Top Bottom