Lucid Dreaming

Gmayor61

Steampunker
Lucid Dreaming
Ever wanted to try flying?
LUCID DREAMING.
Ever wanted to meet spongebob deep under the sea and flop like a fish?
LUCID DREAMING.
Ever wanted to explore the god damn interiors of the sun itself?
LUCID DREAMING.
Hell, ever wanted to do SOMETHING but couldn't do so in reality?
LUCID :red:ING DREAMING.
for TL;DRs, just read the things that have an asterisk* involved and lines that are underlined. They're the basic information and important parts.
*So what the hell is control Vee LUCID DREAMING?
A lucid dream is any dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming. In relation to this phenomenon, Greek philosopher Aristotle observed: "often when one is asleep, there is something in consciousness which declares that what then presents itself is but a dream".

-Wikipedia.

*"Sorry, I don't follow"

In a nutshell, you get to control your own dream. Entirely.

And by god does that mean a lot.
It doesn't stop you having control over what you do in dreams, IE having the idea of NOT to go to school without pants, but it also means that you can have influence over the area around you as well.
That means controlling what other people do, and OBJECTS do, and WATER does, and wind does, and the god damn space time continuum does, I basically mean everything you can think of, and maybe some things you can think of.

"In the name of the joyous children laughing as they toss themselves into the abyss for sacrificing themselves to the might of this thread, HOW DO I GET STARTED?!"
Lets start off by explaining what dreams are.

"So, what are dreams for?"
Lol iunno. Not even scientists practicing in neurology know, they mostly guess that it has something to do with organizing your own brain.

"Gmayor wtf. Okay, then what are dreams in general?"
I had planned you to ask this, so behold my superior answering skills:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"God damn it Gm-" Stop right there.
While dreams themselves aren't exactly explained well, they're basically really powerful hallucination-like experiences.
In essence, you perceive a false reality. Something that is sensed pretty much like the real world is, but not.
There's a common misconception that you can't feel things in dreams. That's wrong. You can very well feel things based on how "lucid" you are. Well get to that later.

"Oh no does that mean that pain is-" yes. You can feel pain. However, due to how shenanigans work with real bodies, the pain is much less severe. That can change, however, depends on you.

*"Isn't this basically like daydreaming? Like, where you just imagine things?"

WRONG.
Dreams are a far cry from imagining things.
The major difference is that a dream can feel, smell, look, sound and even taste the way the real world would like. In fact, it can do all of those and BETTER, given that you're on a high level of lucidity.
"How the hell can a world LOOK and FEEL better than reality? That's just absurd"
Absurd is it may be, how well do you think you perceive reality?
Run your fingers against fabric. Normally, you'll feel it as a single piece of fabric. In a dream however, should you focus hard enough, you can make yourself feel every strand that makes the fabric up.
Next time you go outside, look directly forward. How much detail can you see outside the center of your vision and close to you?
Guess what, you've got a god damn sniper scope equipped in your eyes. Focus a little and you'll see molecules pop up. Wide range vision?
You start seeing this BEHIND you.
And oh my god have I heard things about food. 5 star restaurants will feel like that slightly old sandwich you ate the other day compared to the things you can eat in a dream.
And that's just the 5 basic senses you get in a default human vessel. In a dream you can forge yourself whole new senses, if you can imagine them well enough and have a high enough lucidity level.

*"My god I'm wet. Have my babies. Wait, what the hell is a lucidity level?"

I'm having you dancing around all my twenty infinite fingers.
Basically it's how immersed in the dream you are.
Lucidity, in essence, is awareness and focus.

The more lucid you are, the more aware you are of what is happening around you and the more immersed you are in a dream.
"I don't get it. What happens if you're not lucid well enough?"
The less lucid you are, the less clear the dream will be.
On low lucidity, even staring at a wall 2 feet away from you will be a challenge, it's like walking in a very dark room except that not only your vision is affected, but all of your senses are.
On the other hand, if you have high lucidity, the dream will become even clearer than what reality looks like, as I demonstrated above.
Basically speaking, Lucidity is how awake your mind is. Consciousness, if you will.

There is, however, a problem with that. You see, in a dream, you're a lot more prone to losing your own consciousness if you don't stay focused on the fact that you're dreaming.
It's like you have a bad RAM card, you can accidentally forget that you're dreaming and lose control and focus within the dream.
Personally I like to call that slipping.
How to counter that? We'll be there in a moment.

**"Yes yes okay now TELL US HOW TO LUCID DREAM"

Here you go
Also this
Maybe some of that
There's a lot of different ways to have a lucid dream.
Some are quicker than others, some require more work, some are harder.
This is a good list of all sorts of techniques and appliances that you can try. Since the techniques themselves are a lot to write about, I'm gonna have to direct you to the upper links.
My main style of Lucid dreaming is Wake Induced Lucid dream, or WILD in short.
I've spoiled an older version of my summarizes down below.
**I'll make a revision later on, because god damn making threads takes a lot of time**

MY WRITTEN EDITIONS OF TECHNIQUES:

Wake Back To Bed Technique (scroll down a little)

The important stuff
OK so you wanna start lucid dreaming, where do you begin?
First of all, there are two very basic techniques to lucid dream, of which have modified versions spin off of.
WILD: Wake incubated lucid dream: Harder, but much more potent, vivid, and reliable.
You lie down to sleep on your back, or any other comfortable position, and simply wait til you fall asleep.
The problem here is that you must not voluntarily move.
If you get scratchy, you can't scratch it, you're not allowed to move yourself at all, except for your eyes and manage breathing (Though you should keep that to a minimum as well), and swallowing saliva is discouraged.
Eventually, you'll start seeing all sorts of weird hallucinations in your eyelids. This is hypnagogia, and it means that you are close to falling asleep.
Usually when you go to sleep, your mind falls asleep first (Meaning, you stop thinking entirely and don't pay attention to anything) and then your body falls asleep.
However, in this case where you are keeping yourself from moving and occupying your mind with thoughts, your body will likely fall asleep first.
This is called sleep paralysis.
Now, I won't lie, if you've ever heard of sleep paralysis you've probably also heard that people often :red: bricks under this condition.
And for good reason. When your body falls asleep, your brain starts doing what ever it does when you fall asleep, and for some reason, hallucinations start appearing.
When in sleep paralysis, you can still operate your eyes, and sometimes people open their eyes without noticing while in sleep paralysis.
This is where they see a shadowy figure sit down on their stomach, conveniently above the crouch area to force the pee out.
Fear comes from the unknown though, and since you're aware that what you are seeing is brain induced drugs, chances are it won't be as scary.

*Quick version: Lie down in a comfortable position to sleep, don't move at all, and most importantly, stay calm when you start seeing (or hearing or feeling or smelling or sensing) things.

Lucid dream trough reality checks
: Sorry, forgot the short version of the name. Basically, you do reality checks all day.
To reality check, you simply stop whatever you are doing and inspect your surroundings for anything strange and out of order.
There are loads of different reality checks, such as the one above, like looking at your hand (they go wobbly for some reason), looking at text of some sort, looking away and looking at it again (Usually the text changes GERMAN DISC) and pinching your nose and trying to breath. This also stabilizes the dream.

Lucid Dream improvements
To improve your over all quality of dreams, you can use these techniques.

Dream Journals: When you wake up and remember a dream, write it down somewhere.
You'll start remembering dreams much more frequently and vividly, eventually you'll be more aware of the dream itself and get lucid more often.

Dream Stabilization: This is used to "ground" yourself into the dream more. Stabilizing the dream will make you much more lucid and resistant to sudden wake ups, and will increase the overall quality of the dreamscape.
To stabilize, you have to stimulate your in dream senses, look and focus at random things, rub your hands, smell and hear your surrounding.

I'd like participants to post their dreams here, if possible. I can more or less help you if you have any problems or questions too, since I've gathered a buttload of information about this ordeal.

SOME USEFUL LINKS
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/
http://www.reddit.com/r/LucidDreaming/
http://howtolucid.com/

Last edited:
You want me to ruin lucid dreaming for you and make you fear go to sleep being afraid of knowing you are in a dream? Here, play these 3 flash games.
Play them in order because they have an evolving story.

Deep Sleep

Deeper Sleep

The Deepest Sleep

I didn't know he already released the 3rd installment :D.
Also, will be awesome to have lucid dreaming and nightmare at the same time, been wanting to kick those nightmare creature's *ss with my fist.

DESTROY THE WORLD!!! MWAHAHAAAHAHAAHAHSAHAHA!!!
- Everyone, their first time.

I knew you could take control of your dream before, but this definitely thaught me more about it. I'll try it sometime.

I actually have a thread for this in IGF (be warned, it's a mess everywhere and the OP is ridiculously outdated), since then a small number of members including me have been posting our progress and dream entries.

With that said, I'm gon be posting my dream entries here too now, if anyone else hops on the wagon it'd be interesting.

I don't remember how, but I had once mastered lucid dreaming.It was :red: ing awesome.
AND THEN I FORGOT HOW TO DO IT AN NOW I'M SAD BUT MAYBE THIS GUIDE COULD HELP ME BRING BACK MY DREAMS OF PLAYING GOD.

I did this like 4 times when I was younger.
Stopped when one day, I was a :red:ing idiot and stared in a mirror in search of a reality check.

Zombie horseman throwing his face at me? Acceptable.
Mirror RC? Never :red:ing again.

I actually have a thread for this in IGF (be warned, it's a mess everywhere and the OP is ridiculously outdated), since then a small number of members including me have been posting our progress and dream entries.

With that said, I'm gon be posting my dream entries here too now, if anyone else hops on the wagon it'd be interesting.
kewl

oh and you should post FILD its a very great technique
EDIT: oh f_ck i doubleposted
EDIT 2: fixed now

Last edited:
I naturally started lucid dreaming years ago, and eventually ended up doing it every night. c:
While it does sound appealing, usually i don't ever have full control over the dream, and i usually just end up doing whatever seems a good idea at the time.
Also, i have never been able to smell or taste during my dreams. When i eat something, i always taste saliva.

I try a lot of times the WILD method, and I see those funny shapes before the paralysis, but for some reason, I can't get sleep, and I don't have any strange hallucination: it simply don't work out, and I don't know why, any clues anyone?

So they couldn't imagine just like a giant Chainsaw Shark? And since Freddy is a dream monster, wouldn't they technically always be thinking about dreams?
Considering he is an immortal being that feasts on the souls of others while they suffers, he can't be killed.
So yeah, he out did them :cool:

I spent a few weeks doing reality checks to try and have a lucid dream a while ago. I didn't get any results, which I sort of expected from such a short amount of time, but I stopped when I decided that it wasn't something that I really wanted to do.

Back
Top Bottom