Lucky or Menacing?

Which is better?

• Lucky. Duh!

• Menacing, you fool!

• I use whichever one I get.

• I use something else entirely.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pumpkin Moon will always be easy to hit wave15. There's no reason to maximise potential on that apart from bragging rights. As for the Frost Moon, unless you are scattering a good amount of spear traps everywhere which I don't do, I don't see how the difference is huge. Even if it is the difference between getting from wave15 to 16 for an individual, I still don't find it huge.

I was merely pointing out that your claim that "the DPS difference between Menacing and Lucky is too small that it is negligible in realistic scenarios" is not accurate, and and a personal lack of desire for optimization won't change that. Furthermore, I said that the difference in crit boosts and damage boosts for Moon events CAN be huge, which is an easily demonstrable claim.

Of course, my definition of small seems to differ from most.

But what would the difference actually be in a whole moon event from using one in comparison to the other? Again, avoiding spear traps, because I accept that 'Lucky' is useful for that.

If it is, say, a good twenty seconds, then I'd still stand by what I said.

Mathematically, they are equal in terms of increased damage output.
Per 100 shots of 100 damage (hypothetical)
4% damage increase would be 10400 total damage
4% criticals would be 4 critical shots at 200 each, plus 96 regular 100 damage shots would also be 10400 damage
I don't care enough to do math for defense, but I think for higher defense enemies lucky might be better.

Mathematically, they are equal in terms of increased damage output.
Per 100 shots of 100 damage (hypothetical)
4% damage increase would be 10400 total damage
4% criticals would be 4 critical shots at 200 each, plus 96 regular 100 damage shots would also be 10400 damage
I don't care enough to do math for defense, but I think for higher defense enemies lucky might be better.

Just the opposite as it turns out - damage boosts are better when monster defense increases. This is because critical hits double the damage only after half defense is subtracted from damage, and not before. The calculations verify this.

Also, you're definitely correct that an equal boost to damage and crit chance are equivalent if mob defense is 0, but the important question is how much to boost of each. Boosting each by 50% is different than boosting one by 40% and the other by 60%, even though the total boost is 100% in both cases.

If it is, say, a good twenty seconds, then I'd still stand by what I said.

That's like arguing that 2+2 is negligible, because you feel 4 isn't that big of a number. You need to separate factual claims from your personal judgments. If you wanted to assert from the get-go that the difference between crit boosts and damage boosts are negligible for you personally because of your own play preferences, you should have said so.

Last edited:
Well i use lucky for my ranger builds.... wich is completeley OP.
something like Unreal Chaingun with Chlorophyte bullets (or venom bullets are also very good) full Shroomite Armor and lucky accessories for ranged.
For example.. i did this and used a sniper rifle. my damage was basicly 600+ all the time because the crit is very high without anything already... but with accessories and armor you can get up to 100%+ wich means with about 350+ damage and 100%+ crit its about 600+ to 700+ damage per shot. :) (also works with rapid fire weapons)

That's like arguing that 2+2 is negligible, because you feel 4 isn't that big of a number. You need to separate factual claims from your personal judgments. If you wanted to assert from the get-go that the difference between crit boosts and damage boosts are negligible for you personally because of your own play preferences, you should have said so.

Alright, my mistake that I didn't, because that was my intention.

I am having a hard time with the chat speak. I really dislike that.

And if you read the posts above you, it is evidently not as simple as you say. Of course Legendary or Mythical. That isnt even up for debate. Personal choice isnt what we are asking either. Its for the highest damage against hard bosses over a long period of time. And Im going for magic, using all good buffs available, and I am playing on console.

If you want the most amount of damage output possible, then both are pretty much the same thing, mathematically speaking. But critical hits pierce armor more effectively, while depending on luck.

A balance between the two is ideal, in my opinion (against mobs with high defense, as a critical hit would deal more than twice the normal damage). Sadly I don't have the mathematical proof for it.

If you want the most amount of damage output possible, then both are pretty much the same thing, mathematically speaking. But critical hits pierce armor more effectively, while depending on luck.

A balance between the two is ideal, in my opinion (against mobs with high defense, as a critical hit would deal more than twice the normal damage). Sadly I don't have the mathematical proof for it.

Number 1: i like your sig and avatar.
Number 2: it seems you are right. I will hit 50 crit and dump the rest into damage.
C: consistency is important.

Number 1: i like your sig and avatar.
Number 2: it seems you are right. I will hit 50 crit and dump the rest into damage.
C: consistency is important.
Yes, everyone likes my sig and avatar :red:.

And yay. 50 crit seems to be all you'd ever need.

Actually, most of my gear is warding, with the exception of my one lucky sorcerer emblem.

In fact, I do a :red: ton of damage even without damage modifiers.

I'd say balance out lucky and menacing it could get you too a good spot as menacing boosts the default dmg while lucky boosts the well... critical chance which is double the attack. So i'd say both.

Oddly.... I prefer Violent prefixes and other speed Accessories.

This is mostly just for Melee though. Reasoning behind it is because certain weapons receive range increases in addition to attacking faster with the increase of those stats.

I just find it more fun to hit things at a lightning fast pace. That said though, I do understand it is not the most viable.

Oddly.... I prefer Violent prefixes and other speed Accessories.

This is mostly just for Melee though. Reasoning behind it is because certain weapons receive range increases in addition to attacking faster with the increase of those stats.

I just find it more fun to hit things at a lightning fast pace. That said though, I do understand it is not the most viable.
The Paladin's hammer can get to attack SO FAST that you can actually throw a second or even a third (!) one before the first one comes back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom