Weapons & Equip Melee Lifesteal- For Corruption Worlds

I guess I'm just unlucky then...
Yep, RNG is a b!tch. Don't worry, you'll get one eventually.
Took me quite a while to get what you meant with the Minecraft thing, but yeah, I can understand what you are getting at.

On-Topic: It's life-steal, but it's quite well balanced...
Ah well, support.
Before Stormconure changed it the Debuff was Withered, and he said the idea was from Minecraft.
@stormconure You should give credit to those who gave you ideas in the main post. Just a suggestion.

Took me quite a while to get what you meant with the Minecraft thing, but yeah, I can understand what you are getting at.

On-Topic: It's life-steal, but it's quite well balanced...
Ah well, support.
I originally had the debuff named Withering. Thats where minecraft came from.
Yep, RNG is a b!tch. Don't worry, you'll get one eventually.

Before Stormconure changed it the Debuff was Withered, and he said the idea was from Minecraft.
@stormconure You should give credit to those who gave you ideas in the main post. Just a suggestion.
Right, yeah i meant to do that... Im normally good about that:p

This would skew the balance between offensive power and self preservation. Also, given how this works, it would be extremely OP against dense crowds, given the SotC's ability to hit lots of different enemies with ease.

This would skew the balance between offensive power and self preservation. Also, given how this works, it would be extremely OP against dense crowds, given the SoC's ability to hit lots of different enemies with ease.
Ok, so how should it be nerfed? Earlier i had it to where every time an enemy loses hp there is only a 50% chance to heal you but people though that was too UP.

Ok, so how should it be nerfed? Earlier i had it to where every time an enemy loses hp there is only a 50% chance to heal you but people though that was too UP.
It should be nerfed to "no life steal." Any amount of life steal messes up the balance between offensive power and self preservation. The SotC represents one extreme while the VK's represent the other. Giving the Scourge a bit of both would be unfair and unnecessary.

Just my opinion.

i like the "withering" idea, it sounds cool, even if it is from minecraft. another alternative might be to call it "wraithed", as it is fairly common for wraiths to steal life.
also, i was so impressed with this idea, i clicked your dragons. that was a first for me.

It should be nerfed to "no life steal." Any amount of life steal messes up the balance between offensive power and self preservation. The SotC represents one extreme while the VK's represent the other. Giving the Scourge a bit of both would be unfair and unnecessary.

Just my opinion.
Ok, then maybe nerf the damage? Or have something else thats corruption-only be able to lifesteal?

right now, the scourge is kinda pathetic, as the homing eaters only do a small percentage of the damage of the original. giving it lifesteal and buffing the damage would not be OP at all, in my opinion. i noticed the flairon is similar to the scourge, but it deals way more damage. it's also easier to get.

im referring to the fact that each homing projectile only does a fraction of the damage of the original, and i frequently get critical hits of 20 damage or so. plus, it has no peircing, so if you have, say, 3 enemies bunched up together, the main projectile will hit one, for about 60 damage, and each homing projectile will hit each of the others for about 20 damage. it takes a while to kill crowds with it, while the piercing and significantly higher damage and speed of the terra blade will decimate many enemies.

im referring to the fact that each homing projectile only does a fraction of the damage of the original, and i frequently get critical hits of 20 damage or so. plus, it has no peircing, so if you have, say, 3 enemies bunched up together, the main projectile will hit one, for about 60 damage, and each homing projectile will hit each of the others for about 20 damage. it takes a while to kill crowds with it, while the piercing and significantly higher damage and speed of the terra blade will decimate many enemies.
SOC isn't meant for taking out large crowds. That's what the Paladin's hammer is for. The SOC is good because of it's devastating range, firing it in the dungeon non stop will pretty much kill anything walking into the room. Also, it's extremely effective on single beef cake enemies such as paladins due to rapid hits.

And remember that we can't always look at just the base stats for effectiveness. On my dedicated melee, SOC does over 100 damage, pretty much ripping everything to shreds.

SOC isn't meant for taking out large crowds. That's what the Paladin's hammer is for. The SOC is good because of it's devastating range, firing it in the dungeon non stop will pretty much kill anything walking into the room. Also, it's extremely effective on single beef cake enemies such as paladins due to rapid hits.

And remember that we can't always look at just the base stats for effectiveness. On my dedicated melee, SOC does over 100 damage, pretty much ripping everything to shreds.
But even so, if you mean to fight single beefcakes, then the lifesteal does next to nothing. And like you said, it would take quite a while to hit an entire crowd with it.

My point is this: adding lifesteal to the SotC wouldnt be massively OP, and it would provide corruption playthroughs with the capability for melee lifesteal.

But even so, if you mean to fight single beefcakes, then the lifesteal does next to nothing. And like you said, it would take quite a while to hit an entire crowd with it.

My point is this: adding lifesteal to the SotC wouldnt be massively OP, and it would provide corruption playthroughs with the capability for melee lifesteal.
The thing is, the SOC is extremely easy to spam, the vampire knives lack homing, and the life steal you get from them is extremely small when used on pretty much any hardmode enemy. Each of the SOC's little eaters can home, Even with only 1hp per hit gained, The SOC tends to hit 4 times each, one for the main, and around 3 for the small ones. In that case, the SOC would render the Vampire knives useless.

The thing is, the SOC is extremely easy to spam, the vampire knives lack homing, and the life steal you get from them is extremely small when used on pretty much any hardmode enemy. Each of the SOC's little eaters can home, Even with only 1hp per hit gained, The SOC tends to hit 4 times each, one for the main, and around 3 for the small ones. In that case, the SOC would render the Vampire knives useless.
But remember that the VN throw multiple knives at once as well. Against large targets like bosses, they would be infinitely superior lifestealwise, because they would all hit at once. So it balances out: this debuff thing is better against crowds of enemies, while the knives have better lifesteal against bosses.

But remember that the VN throw multiple knives at once as well. Against large targets like bosses, they would be infinitely superior lifestealwise, because they would all hit at once. So it balances out: this debuff thing is better agiaint crowds of enemies, while the knives have better lifesteal against bosses.
I'll give you that, but to do that, you'll need to get close to the boss if you want more than 3 hits with the knives. And I'm pretty sure nobody wants to face tank something like Duke Fishron.

I'll give you that, but to do that, you'll need to get close to the boss if you want more than 3 hits with the knives. And I'm pretty sure nobody wants to face tank something like Duke Fishron.
Fair point.

Speaking of that, I have actually recently been considering a suggestion extending the range of the knives. They dont even make it past the screen edge before fading. Would extending their reach, even a little bit, make this more balanced?

WOAH! dont make the vampire knives any more powerful than they are. i literally beat a pumpkin moon with hallowed armor and vampire knives. they can reach most of the on-screen enemies, and ones farther away than that dont really pose much of a threat. plus, i got about 900 DPS with the vampire knives, and the only way i could beat that was with a coin gun and platinum coins, or a flairon. if you search "terraria vampire knives OP" on youtube, you will find a video of this guy killing plantera with VK's just holding still, and this was AFTER the nerf.

Recently there have been many suggestions about lifesteal for rangers, and even one or two about summoners. The idea behind these was that every class had a way to lifesteal: melee had Vampire Knives, mage had Spectre Hood, and then the others had... Whatever these suggestions were about. But there was one thing that was completely overlooked: melee was then left at a disadvantage playthrough-wise. Doing a melee-only playthrough in a corruption world means that you cannot lifesteal. Vampire Knives are Crimson only.

So I intend to fix that. Here is what I came up with: a new weapon mechanic for the Scourge of the Corruptor.

Rather than actually stealing health upon hitting like the Vampire Knives do, the SotC would inflict a debuff called Draining (thanks to TheQuietBisharp for the name). Draining would drain life at the same speed as On Fire, but with a twist: every time the enemy loses a point of HP, it will send a purple healing bolt at the player who inflicted the debuff, similarly to Vampire Knives. However, this healing bolt always heals for 1 HP.
Besides, it makes sense that something named "Corruptor" would inflict a debuff, right?

I hope that made sense. What do you think?
Not to be discouraging or anything, but that would make the SOTC overpowered, because for one, it has much more range, speed, and damage than the vampire knives, and two, it splits into more projectiles that start homing in on impact.

Besides, just make new worlds, grab some crimstone, go back to your hardmode world, make a biome, and start farming, then make the key, go to the world with the crimson and unlock the chest.:happy:

In other words... it's good just as it is right now, remember the developers are already very busy working on 1.3!

Back
Top Bottom