Game Mechanics More Death Stuff: Die With Style

Do you like this idea!

• Yes! This is cool!

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • YES! BLOOD! DEATH! VIOLENCE! KILL!

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • No. I don't like this.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No. It would increase the ESRB rating of a game targeted specifically at young children.

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
The rating chart is right here for you guys.
AppRatingsChart_sf1.jpg
Actually, it would be for mature audiences.

Okay don't need both of you here. Anyways, my point is a lot of children play this game and it would be way too violent. Its too violent for me and I'm almost 14. o3o
It's not a game *for* children though. We shouldn't hold back new content because of children who aren't supposed to be playing this game.

It's not a game *for* children though. We shouldn't hold back new content because of children who aren't supposed to be playing this game.
Well, I wouldn't say they're not supposed to be playing it, but it doesn't matter since they aren't specifically the intended audience.

Besides, characters already explode into bloody limbs and spray blood everywhere. It's not realistic, but I would still consider it a little much for all the children who play this game.
Its too violent for me and I'm almost 14. o3o
Dead Island is less violent than this?

Well, I wouldn't say they're not supposed to be playing it, but it doesn't matter since they aren't specifically the intended audience.

Besides, characters already explode into bloody limbs and spray blood everywhere. It's not realistic, but I would still consider it a little much for all the children who play this game.

Dead Island is less violent than this?

you haven't seen violence if you haven't played Postal or manhunt.

The No Escape death animation should be changed, as it comes out of the blue.
It should instead cause a sickly glow to appear around the PC, shortly after which he/she is killed, which is seen as a huge shower of blood. Then, the dying player would fall down to the floor, trashing on it. After that, a long tongue would grab the player and pull him/her offscreen (The coins/items would remain where the animation started).

My idea is that the player goes insane because of what he/she saw, or was forced to kill themselves as punishment for trying to escape.

My idea is that the player goes insane because of what he/she saw, or was forced to kill themselves as punishment for trying to escape.
But it feels a bit too tame despite being rather unsettling, so making it creepier (Due to the trashing in my idea implying the PC is still alive, but in excruciating pain) would make it really seem as creepy and disturbing (On a relative sense) as the boss that causes it.

Last edited:
I think that's a bit too elaborate, though. We're not talking about the Exorcist, here.
It would also prevent the animation from being unfitting because, depending on the player´s health, the suicide animation would take very long in order to prevent the player from somehow 1-hit killing themselves with weapons that don´t deal enough damage per hit to do so, and because, depending on the weapon (Specially if the Piranha Gun or the explosive guns are involved) it wouldn´t be dramatic, but a bit silly in a sick way.

It would also prevent the animation from being unfitting because, depending on the player´s health, the suicide animation would take very long in order to prevent the player from somehow 1-hit killing themselves with weapons that don´t deal enough damage per hit to do so, and because, depending on the weapon (Specially if the Piranha Gun or the explosive guns are involved) it wouldn´t be dramatic, but a bit silly in a sick way.
You're over analyzing this...

EDIT: "Silly in a sick way" was the exact intention. It wasn't supposed to be dramatic. It's Terraria. The game in which cumrags are used as bait for fishing.

Last edited:
i think the no scape should be like when you teleport away some fleshy chains take your character's limbs away rapidly only leving the torso and head falling to the ground

For those of you who are saying that this is too violent: You do realize that the standard death animation is your character exploding into gory, bloody chunks, right? A bunny gets killed, and it explodes, sending its severed head rolling across the ground. Terraria is already really gory.

I agree that many of these suggestions are much too graphic. Why then am I fine with the current death animation(s)?
  1. They are unrealistic through overexaggeration: players just 'pop' apart at the 'seams', and NPCs violently explode. Because most deaths in Terraria come from something merely touching another thing, such a violent reaction just looks silly. Not only that, but they are also unconditional: whether you get by the powerful Martian Death Ray, or just a lowly Green Slime, you explode violently. Even if you drown or get poisoned, you get the same ludicrous reaction every single time.
  2. They are unrealistic through Terraria's art style: if you put the realism of an injury against the realism of the victim, you'll see a linear increase: the more realistic the victim (in this case, human), the more upsetting seeing them get injured gets, even if the injuries are (or remain) unrealistic (such as explosion). In the same vein, the more realistic the injury, the more upsetting it gets, even if it happens to a pixelated human. Terraria strongly stylises its entities, so humans in Terraria don't look realistic. However, neither do the 'explosion' deaths. So all in all, Terraria's deaths are not all that upsetting.
  3. There is minimal addition of gore: in my opinion, many of the graphic monsters do not look much more gory alive than dead.
  4. They represent a threshold: you can take as many rockets to the face as you want and keep going as merrily as you can, but if you take even one damage when you have only one HP left, you'll explode. On one side, this highlights the inherent indestructibility of the player, on the other hand it pokes fun at the minimal line between 'completely fine' and 'dead'. There is no intermediate 'wounded' status.
  5. They are instant: a sudden explosion immediately gets the point across to the player. You died. Bummer. Respawn and try again.

All in all, the original deaths do not look visually realistic, they aren't logical and, to me, they aren't very uncomfortable to look at. I could apply these five points to your suggestions, and get a totally different conclusion.

1. They are realistic representations of the death in question: instead of unconditional violent explosion, death animations are now tailor made to fit the cause, meaning they look much more realistic.
  2. They are realistic representations of the effect of injury on human beings: while the victims still don't look realistic, the deaths, and the effect it has on the victim, now do. Seeing someone stagger about after being decapitated, even if it's a pixelated character, is a lot more off-putting than watching them explode like that.
  3. There is strong addition of gore: blood splashes and fountains, skin discoloration, penetration of the skin, skeletal remains... we can't deny that these deaths are a lot more gory than a few reddish pixels on the textures.
  4. They represent suffering: we can now see our characters (which one does get an emotional attachment to) getting obliterated in obviously painful ways: being burned alive, succumbing to poison, getting impaled and bleeding out... When they explode, it's clear that it's instant and (mostly) painless. Watching them suffer without being able to do anything about it (in fact, being the cause of it) feels very uncomfortable. If you have ever played Tomb Raider and failed a quick time event, you know what I'm talking about.
  5. Apart from what I mentioned above, giving the animations a wind-up makes it not immediately clear to the player that they have died, which, even if they don't give a hoot about gore, at the very least is confusing and annoying. The one thing players hate is control being taken away from them, so if you have a good reason to do so (e.g. death), immediately communicate it to them that you have. Especially the Already Dead death is very disorienting on that regard.

So yeah, my main objections are emotional ones. I think these effects are too brutal for Terraria, and I simply don't want to see them happen to my character.

Back
Top Bottom