Items More Fishing Rod Concepts

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
Currently there are 11 rods that are all very similar. Also ALL of them can be obtained in pre hardmode leaving no hardmode fishing progression at all. So in addition to my already posted fishing ideas: Hell Bait should not allow Lava fishing/Useful Hotline Rod and Better Biome/Critter Fishing:

I think there should be more fishing rods, perhaps even Multi Line rods. I think prehardmode is pretty fleshed out so here are a few concepts for hardmode rods I came up with:

Candy Cane Rod: 25% but has a chance to fish up present loot any time of the year in a snow biome. Purchased from Santa Claus.
Spider Rod: 10%* but throws SIX lines at once (so can catch UP to 6 in one cast but should probably have a chance not to resulting in average drops of 3-5 overall even if you have the high test line. This chance would also extend to all other multi-lined rods). Crafted with spider fangs.
Titanium/Adamantium Rod: 50% fishing power. Provides an alternative in case you do not wish to grind for the golden rod.
Hallowed Rod: 55% with bonus fishing power in the hallow. Crafted with hallowed bars (and thus would be post mech) and a unicorn horn.
Chlorophyte Rod: 40%* but throws two lines at once. Bonus fishing power in the jungle.
Lhizard Rod: 60% with bonus fishing power during solar eclipses. Probably crafted with tablet fragments but could be a golem drop too.
Spectre Rod: 65% with bonus fishing power in the dungeon to help players realize they can do that for unique drops.
Shroomite Rod: 66% with bonus fishing power in the glowing mushroom. Looks mechanical, and the line can never snap.
Party Girl's Rod: 69% but only fishes up sparkle slime balloons.
Duke's Fishrod: 55%* but throws two lines at once. Bonus fishing power in the ocean. Dropped from Fishron of course.
Prismantic Rod: 70% and bonus fishing power at night. Dropped from Empress of Light.
Old One's Rod: 65%* and throws three lines at once. Dropped from Betsy.
Luminite Rod: an endgame fishing rod that now throws FOUR lines at once at 75% fishing power. Bonus fishing power during the solar events. Crafted with the golden rod (requiring you to do the quests) and luminite.

Also as I mentioned in the suggestion above, the fisher of souls and fleshcatcher should have a bonus in their respective biomes (like the hallowed rod I mentioned here).

For more bait concepts, check out my post here: More Fishing Bait Concepts
And for other fishing items, check out my post here: More Fishing Items (Armor/weapons)

Last edited:
I like it, but I do have one concern. Would Duke Fishrod and the Luminite Rod allow multiple summonings of Duke Fishron? Because multiple lines could potentially summon multiple, and that could result in accidentally doing that with the intent to summon only one

I like it, but I do have one concern. Would Duke Fishrod and the Luminite Rod allow multiple summonings of Duke Fishron? Because multiple lines could potentially summon multiple, and that could result in accidentally doing that with the intent to summon only one
No, with rods that cast multiple lines, it would still only consume one bait at a time (meaning only one fishron at a time). They can just catch multiple regular drops (fish/junk) based on your fishing power. In the case of catching fishron/a blood moon enemy, you would get only that and no regular drops on that cast

Last edited:
is old ones rod from old ones army?If its from a crossover event then the rod should be in the other game too right?
Sadly there are no fishing rods in DDII (as far as I can tell after a google search). An Empress of Light Rod that has a fishing power boost at night would probably be a better choice then an Old Ones Army Rod since no one likes the event. It could be called something like the Prismatic Lace Line or Midnight Rainbow Rod.

Last edited:
Sadly there are no fishing rods in DDII (as far as I can tell after a google search). An Empress of Light Rod that has a fishing power boost at night would probably be a better choice then an Old Ones Army Rod since no one likes the event. It could be called something like the Prismatic Lace Line or Midnight Rainbow Rod.
Hope you dont mind if I steal that..

Personally, those situational biome rods feel kinda meh to me, but maybe that's because I don't like fishing in the first place, and if I'm in the mood to go fishing at all I'm probably gonna stick with the one with highest base power I have access to at that moment instead of min-maxing it too much.

But because of that same reason, I find the multiple fishing lines thing super appealing. I'm sold on anything that make fishing less tedious. So, in addition to that, having something like Chrolophyte rod being the middly progression of the multiple lines rods in between Spider and Duke would be nice. Maybe 30-40% power with 3-4 lines?
And then you can move the jungle bonus to fiberglass rod instead, make it be in line with the corruption and crimson rods that you gonna also add biome bonus to.

On somewhat related note, how about some upgrade options on blood moon fishing?

Spectre Rod: 65% but increased power in the dungeon to help players realize they can do that for unique drops
I also like this hinting idea.

Last edited:
But because of that same reason, I find the multiple fishing lines thing super appealing. I'm sold on anything that make fishing less tedious. So, in addition to that, having something like Chrolophyte rod being the middly progression of the multiple lines rods in between Spider and Duke would be nice. Maybe 30-40% power with 3-4 lines?

On somewhat related note, how about some upgrade options on blood moon fishing?
Thanks for the feedback. Completely agree!

I have to disagree with the addition of these rods for these reasons:
  1. Fishing rods with multiple lines would simply speed up the process of gathering loot, and they would always be preferred even with the loss of some fishing power.'
  2. It would also make fishing feel more stressful rather than relaxing, as you would have to keep track of multiple lines and catches.
  3. Using multiple lines alongside the sonar potions would be confusing, as you would be spammed with text.
  4. Having fishing rods that are just straight up better than the Golden Fishing Rod feels strange, as you would think that you would know how to design better fishing rods by learning about fishing, rather than simply using harder, more robust materials.

However, I do like the idea of making fishing rods more unique and potentially giving them unique bonuses, such as biome bonuses. I appreciate this for the same reason I like your idea of giving bait different bonuses as well. It adds some tactical choices and just makes sense that different types of fishing methods would be preferred in different environments.

huh, I kinda just assumed that multi-line fishing would just mean they catch fish at the same time, if they are independent lines then that would be nightmare.

I'm no expert on fishing min-maxing, would fishing power have really that little effect that multi-line always gonna be the prefer option? I thought it would be more like fishing for potion ingredients vs for crates.

huh, I kinda just assumed that multi-line fishing would just mean they catch fish at the same time, if they are independent lines then that would be nightmare.

I'm no expert on fishing min-maxing, would fishing power have really that little effect that multi-line always gonna be the prefer option? I thought it would be more like fishing for potion ingredients vs for crates.
Yea they would all cast and reel at the same time. And if it is, we can lower the power of those multiline rods even more

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom