most important item in the game

what type of item can't you live without?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love killing baddies with various rainbow projectiles, but the starting tools are technically the most important item in the game.

Close call between the starting tools and the pwnhammer. In theory you can get the merchant with just a Copper Shortsword, from whom you can then buy the Copper Pickaxe, so the Pwnhammer it is. Progressing in early hardmode is a serious pain without it, as you'll have to grind spiders and defeat mechs that way.

The only truly necessary items to progress in the game are the guide voodoo doll, temple key, truffle worm, pumpkin medallion, and naughty present. Without these it is literally impossible to move forward. (But it would be pretty tough with ONLY those items...)

But really, I love my grappling hooks. Wings can be substituted by any number o movement accessories, but grappling hooks are irreplaceable.

You could use bombs...

Workbenches can sometimes appear in underground cabins, too. Though it takes quite a bit of luck. Oh, and you can pickaxe the wood in the underground cabins and make one that way.

OR, you can pickaxe a large tree.

Back on topic...

Torches.

How would you ever do anything underground without torches? I put em everywhere to keep everything lit. If I should accidentally unleash water which knocks some torches off (I really wish they would change the mechanics of that), I'll replace them after the water flow is done.

The Axe. It is an amazing axe and hammer for building, and it can kill bosses easily, and it's a guitar, and in 1.3 it will be common! In prehardmode, a couple: the bundle of balloons, any horseshoe balloon, magic carpet , and lava waders for mobility, ESPECIALLY lava waders because I love being able to walk on liquids and swim in lava for 7 seconds. I also cannot live without my golden fishing rod for fishing and my honeyed goggles for travel.

Close call between the starting tools and the pwnhammer. In theory you can get the merchant with just a Copper Shortsword, from whom you can then buy the Copper Pickaxe, so the Pwnhammer it is. Progressing in early hardmode is a serious pain without it, as you'll have to grind spiders and defeat mechs that way.

Uh, even if you did kill the mechs with spider armor, you'd be unable to build anything with the mech drops, because you need an oricalchum or mythril anvil, which you can only get by spawning the respective ore.

I suppose you could, however, get it from fishing crates.

But then, why bother with the spider armor if you can get all the hardmode ore from crates?

Many items are important in this game. Though in the beginning, getting even an Iron/Lead pickaxe is important for getting something better than the starting Copper Pickaxe so that mining doesn't take dinosaur era periods of time.

Without my trusty Frostspark Boots and Wings of any sort, I would be completely and utterly helpless. Honestly, I don't know what goes through the heads of people that load themselves up on emblems and leave home without these two. Terraria is being free, and being free is Frostspark Boots and Wings.

Other than that, Wings combined with Frostspark Boots are the most important accessories to me. Opening up the range of mobility, to travel quickly throughout the map, being able to fly without worrying about fall damage saves me more times than I can count rather than simply having the best weapon/armor with only high damage and no mobility. I agree. How can anyone fight things like Duke Fishron, Twins, or Skeletron Prime acting like turtles without dying?

Many items are important in this game. Though in the beginning, getting even an Iron/Lead pickaxe is important for getting something better than the starting Copper Pickaxe so that mining doesn't take dinosaur era periods of time.

Copper Pickaxe is 35% strength, Iron is 40% Strength.

The weakest block in the game, Dirt (and others like it) have 50 health. That means that both pickaxes will take 2 hits to mine a (grassless) dirt block. You don't get anything better until Tungsten (not Silver!) or Gold/Platinum. There's a mining speed difference, but it is very minor (15 vs 13).

The main advantage of any pickaxe over the Copper, is the fact Copper has Range -1... but then you could simply make a Cactus Pickaxe and save yourself some iron and get pretty much the same result.

Copper Pickaxe is 35% strength, Iron is 40% Strength.

The weakest block in the game, Dirt (and others like it) have 50 health. That means that both pickaxes will take 2 hits to mine a (grassless) dirt block. You don't get anything better until Tungsten (not Silver!) or Gold/Platinum. There's a mining speed difference, but it is very minor (15 vs 13).

The main advantage of any pickaxe over the Copper, is the fact Copper has Range -1... but then you could simply make a Cactus Pickaxe and save yourself some iron and get pretty much the same result.

Its mainly a problem when it comes to digging stone, the cavern layer is mostly made up of stone, and it takes the copper pickaxe about 3-4 hits to mine it. It doesn't sound like much but it adds up when you're trying to dig a long tunnel in hopes of finding treasures underground. The Range -1 is tolerable for the early game. The Iron/Lead reduces it to 2 which is much easier to live with.

oooh that's a tough one to answer. i'm heavily reliant on the "standard 3" from the days of old. shield, boots, wings, (the last 2 are specialized items). as for blocks/weapons, those are all pretty essential...really too hard to answer xD

[edit] if we say....emblems, i'd have to say, i can't live without the celestial embblem. i don't give a damn how many times i need to kill WoF or how many days i have to wait for the traveling merchant to have the magnets. i WILL make my celestial emblem.

Source: Career Mage.

Uh, even if you did kill the mechs with spider armor, you'd be unable to build anything with the mech drops, because you need an oricalchum or mythril anvil, which you can only get by spawning the respective ore.

I suppose you could, however, get it from fishing crates.

But then, why bother with the spider armor if you can get all the hardmode ore from crates?
I didn't think about the anvils, you're right! Man, someone should do a no-pwnhammer run one day... Someone who can handle the frustration of opening dozends of crates which all include nothing of relevance, I mean.

I'm still new-ish to Terraria, but the most useful item I use all the time is the magic mirror. I'm not a pro at the game, but when I go mining deep down, it's just so easy if I had the magic mirror, or else I'd have to travel all the way back up.. :c But hey, I'm still a noob so I haven't come across lots of new items yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom