NPCs & Enemies New npc’s

Huskymaster99

Terrarian
1- alchemist, sells potions, and spawns when you craft a potion. this is already in a mod but it would be nice if it was in vanilla.
2- cultist, sells boss spawners, spawns once golem has been defeated.
3- Carpenter, sells basic materials, moves in once 5 npcs have.

1- alchemist, sells potions, and spawns when you craft a potion. this is already in a mod but it would be nice if it was in vanilla.
2- cultist, sells boss spawners, spawns once golem has been defeated.
3- Carpenter, sells basic materials, moves in once 5 npcs have.
1- No, that is not a fair way to get potions, the entire point of potions is that you have to put in effort to get them in bulk.
2- Post Golem? That's actually a really nice idea then, as at that point most boss spawners are tedious to get with little reward.
3- Basic Materials? which materials? please be a little more specific with this one...

Alchemist --> Alchemist NPCs (or the lite version) Alchemist, Brewer, Young brewer.
Carpenter --> Alchemist NPCs (or lite) Architect.

I know you said not in mods but vanilla, but the ones in the mod are good already, I think suggestions more likely to get picked up by modders than the vanilla game.

As for the NPC selling boss summon items though, that could be interesting. Though I think there are such in some mod, but I'm not sure.

@Omega Derpling
It might be just me (or probably not, considering Alchemist NPCs exists and is so popular), but I think it is very convinient to be able to buy potions. brewing them takes time and effort, it's very convinient to be able to just buy them. I mean, sure, you can say it's kinda cheat-y, but you spend money on it, instead of time, so it's not like you get them for free. but everyone should play the way they prefer, this is why mods are great, no one forces you to use what you don't like.
I just know, that I don't brew potions much. the only things I tend to make is upgrading lesser healing potions (you find tons in pots) to healing potions, and upgrading that to spring water (Thorium), and sometimes making fishing potion, but the annoying brat will just give you some baits or maybe a decoration instead of fish finder components... I was fumbling with an NPC who sells fish finder too among other rarities. I would rather spend 5 plat on it, than do 50 fishing quests XD Then, again, it is kinda cheat-y, but otherwise you can suffer a lot from RNG and waste time on things that aren't necessarily that fun.
it's just my opinion, but I find going adventuring more fun than staying in one place for 3-4 hours farming for something very rare.

Alchemist --> Alchemist NPCs (or the lite version) Alchemist, Brewer, Young brewer.
Carpenter --> Alchemist NPCs (or lite) Architect.

I know you said not in mods but vanilla, but the ones in the mod are good already, I think suggestions more likely to get picked up by modders than the vanilla game.

As for the NPC selling boss summon items though, that could be interesting. Though I think there are such in some mod, but I'm not sure.

@Omega Derpling
It might be just me (or probably not, considering Alchemist NPCs exists and is so popular), but I think it is very convinient to be able to buy potions. brewing them takes time and effort, it's very convinient to be able to just buy them. I mean, sure, you can say it's kinda cheat-y, but you spend money on it, instead of time, so it's not like you get them for free. but everyone should play the way they prefer, this is why mods are great, no one forces you to use what you don't like.
I just know, that I don't brew potions much. the only things I tend to make is upgrading lesser healing potions (you find tons in pots) to healing potions, and upgrading that to spring water (Thorium), and sometimes making fishing potion, but the annoying brat will just give you some baits or maybe a decoration instead of fish finder components... I was fumbling with an NPC who sells fish finder too among other rarities. I would rather spend 5 plat on it, than do 50 fishing quests XD Then, again, it is kinda cheat-y, but otherwise you can suffer a lot from RNG and waste time on things that aren't necessarily that fun.
it's just my opinion, but I find going adventuring more fun than staying in one place for 3-4 hours farming for something very rare.
Potions are SUPPOSED to take time and effort, it doesn't matter how convenient buying them is. Potions are essentially a free accessory effect, and having infinite of them is WAY too powerful and completely undermines what makes half of all accessories in the game good. This is why alchemistNPC is frowned upon, because in expert mode especially, money fails to gate literally anything.

The fishing items are SUPPOSED to take dedication to get, because the people who will actually USE them are the ones who LIKE fishing. You don't NEED them unless you actually care about what you're supposed to use them for, or you just want the cell phone (which effectively just clutters up your UI anyway, and if you disable effects of the components you shouldn't even have bothered crafting the cell phone and just kept the base items.)

In terraria, no one forces you to do something you don't like unless you've broken something you probably shouldn't have. This is why things are out of the way and require effort to get to, no one is forcing you to go after them, it's just an OPTION. If the alchemist and a fast way to get the fishing info items were added, the entire purpose of these "side quests" would be invalidated, as they no longer require effort. Just because you don't find growing alchemy plants and fishing fun doesn't mean others don't (I personally found them to be a wonderful alternative to adventuring on a consistent basis and even have the supreme helper minion achievement.)

Finally, don't say "oh modders usually take suggestions and not developers" because developers have taken suggestions from this subforum and replied directly. (Some examples are adding the ability to input hexidecimal color codes on the character creation screen and an ability to change eye and skin color without making a new character.) And if this suggestion is meant for modders to look at and NOT the developers, the OP would have stated it.

Edit: I do love the idea of the architect being added, however, simply because it finally makes things like stone, sand, and ice, renewable.

Last edited:
I do love the idea of the architect being added, however, simply because it finally makes things like stone, sand, and ice, renewable.
Yeah, the one problem with many sandbox games is there's no reliable renewable source of some materials. Terraria doesn't have many of these, but they do exist sadly.

@Omega Derpling

it's difficult to know the tone with just text, so I hope you didn't took it as offensive or repplied as I would meant it that way, I just thought to share my opinion on it.

I guess I don't perticularly care about an alchemist getting added to vanilla, as you say, it would give a very easy way to aquire potions. then again, just because an NPC sells it, it doesn't means you have to buy it, you can aquire them other ways too, like if you craft them - same goes for boss summon items and all, but really, it can be a pain to craft them, if there aren't any altars near your base.

As for potions, I only really use them for a few boss fight in hardmode. it's not as much about I couldn't craft them, by that point, you usually have a bunch of trash - cough - ingredients piled up in chests you barely ever use (really, even though I never really plant herbs for other pupose than a deco potted plant, I still often have tons of herbs from adventures), it's rather that asking the recipe, and finding where I put the ingredients... I will just buy potions XD But as for the fish finder, the weather radio, and the sextant have some uses unrelated to fishing too, such as knowing when an NPC will sell something, and, I think the main point of getting the fish finder is, to craft the cell phone. otherwise, you would carry around a GPS, a goblin tech, a REK 3000, and a magic mirror/ice mirror, taking up 4 inventory slots. that's a lot. but if you get the fish finder, you can merge all of them, and the cell phone only takes up 1 inventory slot. that's a huge difference when you go adventuring and suffer from your inventory getting cluttered. you can throw away random blinkroots and dirt blocks, but eventually you still run out of inventory space...

As for the architect by the way, that's also quite cheat-y. it is a huge pain to mine for example stone early game when you would want to use it for building (if you want gray bricks or whatever) - though later you would have tons of stone from mining, but, by the time the architect moves in you would probably have stone. clay is a different matter though, and some other non-renewable stuff, but, I think in assorted random things (not sure) there's an enemy named stone soldier, that drops like 20 stone upon death and a random gemstone. something like that can easily make stone a renewable material too. same could work for clay too and other materials. but farming them would be tedious still, so it's much easier to just buy them.

Point being, it's about fun. and if you want to build, you might not want to spend hours gathering materials, but if you're being cheaty with that, might as well just get them via cheat sheets (I know I do that for building. whatever if it's cheating, I just want to build something fancy).
And for boss fights, while potions can make a huge change, it really isn't about whether you made the potions by spending time and effort, or just bought them, it's about you can aquire them, or just not use them, regardless, it takes some skills to defeat a boss. and, more important, have fun. right?

I know sometimes suggestions got accepted to the base game, and that's incredibly cool, but I still think it happens more rarely than things getting picked up into a mod.

@Omega Derpling

it's difficult to know the tone with just text, so I hope you didn't took it as offensive or repplied as I would meant it that way, I just thought to share my opinion on it.

I guess I don't perticularly care about an alchemist getting added to vanilla, as you say, it would give a very easy way to aquire potions. then again, just because an NPC sells it, it doesn't means you have to buy it, you can aquire them other ways too, like if you craft them - same goes for boss summon items and all, but really, it can be a pain to craft them, if there aren't any altars near your base.

As for potions, I only really use them for a few boss fight in hardmode. it's not as much about I couldn't craft them, by that point, you usually have a bunch of trash - cough - ingredients piled up in chests you barely ever use (really, even though I never really plant herbs for other pupose than a deco potted plant, I still often have tons of herbs from adventures), it's rather that asking the recipe, and finding where I put the ingredients... I will just buy potions XD But as for the fish finder, the weather radio, and the sextant have some uses unrelated to fishing too, such as knowing when an NPC will sell something, and, I think the main point of getting the fish finder is, to craft the cell phone. otherwise, you would carry around a GPS, a goblin tech, a REK 3000, and a magic mirror/ice mirror, taking up 4 inventory slots. that's a lot. but if you get the fish finder, you can merge all of them, and the cell phone only takes up 1 inventory slot. that's a huge difference when you go adventuring and suffer from your inventory getting cluttered. you can throw away random blinkroots and dirt blocks, but eventually you still run out of inventory space...

As for the architect by the way, that's also quite cheat-y. it is a huge pain to mine for example stone early game when you would want to use it for building (if you want gray bricks or whatever) - though later you would have tons of stone from mining, but, by the time the architect moves in you would probably have stone. clay is a different matter though, and some other non-renewable stuff, but, I think in assorted random things (not sure) there's an enemy named stone soldier, that drops like 20 stone upon death and a random gemstone. something like that can easily make stone a renewable material too. same could work for clay too and other materials. but farming them would be tedious still, so it's much easier to just buy them.

Point being, it's about fun. and if you want to build, you might not want to spend hours gathering materials, but if you're being cheaty with that, might as well just get them via cheat sheets (I know I do that for building. whatever if it's cheating, I just want to build something fancy).
And for boss fights, while potions can make a huge change, it really isn't about whether you made the potions by spending time and effort, or just bought them, it's about you can aquire them, or just not use them, regardless, it takes some skills to defeat a boss. and, more important, have fun. right?

I know sometimes suggestions got accepted to the base game, and that's incredibly cool, but I still think it happens more rarely than things getting picked up into a mod.
The reason it's a pain to craft potions is because of how amazingly powerful they can be. Mining chlorophyte and ore in early game is made trivial by simply making a single spelunker potion, do you really think something that powerful should be just given to the player without them showing they can earn them? The difference between potions and boss summon items is that potions NEVER stop being useful to craft (and once you gain momentum it's actually easier to just craft one then waste money), while boss summons never stop being tedious and end up not becoming worthwhile after progressing in the game just a little bit.

Potions are useful in almost every context, not just boss fights. Need to go hunting for ore? Mining potion, shine potion, spelunker potion. Need to fish? Sonar potion, crate potion, fishing potion. Need to build in peace? Calming potion, builder potion, gravity potion. Are you noticing a pattern here? Terraria is a game that gives you unique rewards for every different thing you try, and it works beautifully. You aren't supposed to be able to get EVERYTHING in the game from one activity. You are supposed to try new things, and be rewarded for them. This is why the cell phone is often underutilized by the ones who buy things to craft it, you don't end up actually using half of the things it tells you, do you?

The architect is cheaty... until you realize how crucial saving money is at the time it would be overpowered. You need to realize that buying things like stone and sand is only overpowered if you have enough money to make it so, and earlygame isn't exactly the time where you would want to buy that over say, a piggy bank... mining helmet... safe... minishark...

Yes, beating bosses requires some skills, but only the skills required for beating bosses. Again, you are forgetting that beating bosses isn't the only thing this game is about. You can have fishing skills, you can have farming skills, you can have building skills, you can have mining skills. Once you try to hone them, you learn that being a jack of all trades is much more fun then mindlessly shooting everything and searching for more targets. Please remember that not everyone comes to a game like Terraria looking for combat.

Also, I doubt you use anything the goblin tech does, so that's 3 slots. Doesn't seem so daunting now, does it? And you don't run out of inventory space if you have chests to store your ingredients in, and the ability to organize said chests.

Reactions: Bry
@Omega Derpling

I guess everyone has their own play-style, right? XD

I'm much more a builder than someone to just mindlessly shoot at bosses, actually. (In fact, one of the reasons I don't have calamity mod, is because bosses that are just waaaay too overpowered, sounds more like suffering than fun. challange is one thing. that's fun, but, yeah... some modded bosses just seems insane. XD)
But just building would get boring after a while. I love fun adventuring, but I rarely use potions.

Don't think I ever used builder potion... I use spelunker if I get some from chests, and very rarely buy one or two, if I really have no luck finding gems, but still. also, gravitation potion for building? that's new. I only used them to find floating islands. and you usually are okay with the few you find in chests while adventuring/exploring the caves. fishing sort of potions are great, but those aren't even sold by the brewer or the alchemist.

As for boss summon items, they would indeed turn rather useless by late game (post golem as OP says), but it also means it's not very likely you would actually use it much? most of their drops are useful around that part in the game when you fight them, right?

As for the architect (in Alchemist NPCs) he moves in after EoW/BoC, by that time, you would have a supply, or easy access to basic materials. I don't like ruining the surface scenery too much for something like sand, so I would rather buy it, than mining out half of the desert. XD
He's very convinient, but by that time, you could easily acquite those stuff yourself too, it just saves you from the time, and the pain of having to ruin your world because mining for materials.

You also have a point that the cell phone has a bunch of functions not everyone uses, but there's no way to just craft some alternative to it that only uses the things you need in it. so, to save previous inventory slots, the cell phone is still the best way with them, and you can turn off what you don't use.

Also, I have lots of chests (or rather, crates from Chad'sfurni, because an attic or basement with them looks better (IMO) than a storehouse full of chests.) you can even name chests, and for things I use more, such as ores, gems, etc., I do organise them, but in some playthrough, I just throw the other stuff I don't use that much in some random crates, which, in return can make it difficult to find them XD which plays a huge role in why it's just easier to buy potions XD in some games, I organise all my stuff, but that can be a pain too. it pays off, but just if you actually use the items/ingredients. by the way, I do think that the usual player hoards much more stuff than what they actually ever use... or at least, I know I do XD

@King Victor
Also, yes, funny it turned into a wall of fle - cough - text.
And of course, a civilised debate is a good debate.

@Omega Derpling

I guess everyone has their own play-style, right? XD

I'm much more a builder than someone to just mindlessly shoot at bosses, actually. (In fact, one of the reasons I don't have calamity mod, is because bosses that are just waaaay too overpowered, sounds more like suffering than fun. challange is one thing. that's fun, but, yeah... some modded bosses just seems insane. XD)
But just building would get boring after a while. I love fun adventuring, but I rarely use potions.

Don't think I ever used builder potion... I use spelunker if I get some from chests, and very rarely buy one or two, if I really have no luck finding gems, but still. also, gravitation potion for building? that's new. I only used them to find floating islands. and you usually are okay with the few you find in chests while adventuring/exploring the caves. fishing sort of potions are great, but those aren't even sold by the brewer or the alchemist.

As for boss summon items, they would indeed turn rather useless by late game (post golem as OP says), but it also means it's not very likely you would actually use it much? most of their drops are useful around that part in the game when you fight them, right?

As for the architect (in Alchemist NPCs) he moves in after EoW/BoC, by that time, you would have a supply, or easy access to basic materials. I don't like ruining the surface scenery too much for something like sand, so I would rather buy it, than mining out half of the desert. XD
He's very convinient, but by that time, you could easily acquite those stuff yourself too, it just saves you from the time, and the pain of having to ruin your world because mining for materials.

You also have a point that the cell phone has a bunch of functions not everyone uses, but there's no way to just craft some alternative to it that only uses the things you need in it. so, to save previous inventory slots, the cell phone is still the best way with them, and you can turn off what you don't use.

Also, I have lots of chests (or rather, crates from Chad'sfurni, because an attic or basement with them looks better (IMO) than a storehouse full of chests.) you can even name chests, and for things I use more, such as ores, gems, etc., I do organise them, but in some playthrough, I just throw the other stuff I don't use that much in some random crates, which, in return can make it difficult to find them XD which plays a huge role in why it's just easier to buy potions XD in some games, I organise all my stuff, but that can be a pain too. it pays off, but just if you actually use the items/ingredients. by the way, I do think that the usual player hoards much more stuff than what they actually ever use... or at least, I know I do XD

@King Victor
Also, yes, funny it turned into a wall of fle - cough - text.
And of course, a civilised debate is a good debate.
Ah, I guess It was rude of me to assume that you were a fighter primarily. :)

Gravitation potions (as well as featherfall, actually) can be useful for when you don't have a grappling hook yet. They allow you to latch onto that ceiling and hammer that one block just out of reach, while providing more flexibility and ease of use then a standard grappling hook. Also, builder potions are underrated, they allow for more placement speed and range and stack with all the accessories that do that, making building nearly effortless.

Yes, cultist npc wouldn't be useful for you or me by then, but again, there are "Collector" types which have their ultimate goal be to obtain every boss trophy and mask, which would make their task much less irritating. I personally never use the nurse, so it's not like every npc is suited for every player anyway. The reason he would be balanced as opposed to the alchemist would be because boss summons don't require you to be proficient in a specific area like brewing and fishing do, and they are extremely tedious to obtain by that point, and never stop being tedious.

I use the "favorited items" and "quick stack" features almost compulsively, so once I've organized my chests all I have to do is run through my storage spamming a single button. It takes about 5 seconds max and really saves time, I just wish more people realized this was a thing...

Potions are simply too powerful to be obtained that way, I'm sorry. You are correct that you obtain them from pots and chests, but to obtain them in bulk you have to go out of your way, just like you have to go out of your way to kill the moon lord, get summoner hybrid armor, etc. This is because you just have to put effort into something new, and honestly, once you try it, it's really quite exhilarating. (I know I'm repeating myself, don't worry.) Blocks simply aren't renewable like potions are, and don't require expertise in a particular field to gain, so the architect really is more balanced than the alchemist.

Yes, people do hoard things, which is why it's so odd to me that so many people choose to worry about the next boss, next invasion, next armor, next weapon, etc. Why do they never put their incredible amassed resources to good use?

Finally, the cell phone. Technically the only thing anyone uses the GPS for is time, which can be instantly replicated by pulling out a money trough and taking a clock out of it. Sure, no one does this, but at least you know you don't have to rely on the cell phone for everything it does.

@Omega Derpling
Building without even a grappling hook can be a pain XD but if such happen I would usually just cheat in a cosmic car key via cheat sheets, finish the roof or whatever and then throw away the cosmic car keys.
Gizmo pack can be a huge help with building, but I honestly never tried building potion before XD also, neither calm potion. if you build in or near the/a town, it will disable monster spawning anyway, and if you build elsewhere... well... yeah, that can be annoying XD but even reduced enemy spawn would be annoying too those times XD
But then, you can just use godmode while building, so you won't end up massacred by a giant turtle while finishing a roof... XD

I assumed something like that. but RNG can hate collectors XD so, yeah, a town NPC selling boss summon item sounds good, but, then why post golem? would it be too cheat-y, to have them appear in his shop once the respetive boss is down once in the world? sure, you could abuse it for loot to sell, but still, at that point, it would sound more useful (and it's not like you have to buy them if you don't want)
also, why a cultist?

You mean something like automatically putting stuff in chests? but it would only work organised, if said chest is already "full", that is, has at least one of the item and each slot taken by an item, right? also, yes, favorite items, otherwise... uhh, that's no fun XD

I kinda get what you mean, but still. Also, why would you want to get lots of them once? again, it might be just me, but I would usually just buy an ironskin and an endurance potion or something before a boss fight. no point buying more than one, when you can buy more any time you want. well... mid-fight that might be difficult, but that aside XD And some more potions once available. perticularly lifeforce!
As for architect, wood is also a questionable thing, I don't know if he sells wood or not, but that's very useful too (there's a mod like lumberjack NPC - wood is renewable, can be cultivated, but it takes time...)

Preparing before events, money-wise? like how? Or you mean, regarding items? it's usually useless trash I have in chests. it probably worths some money, but still. I did just recently realised though how profitable it is to farm BoC. crimtane bars sell really well. (I guess that returns us to "being able to buy summon item early game can be abused, but still.)

Many of the cell phone's functions have little use (IMO)... like how far you're from the center of the map... depth meter have use in like when you try to loot the dungeon pre-skeletron, but otherwise usually negligable. and several other functions too. can be useful in cases, but for example, DPS... it's interesting info, but when you actually busy dealing lots of dmg (like in boss fights or events) you probably won't look at it, because you're busy XD
so, yeah, the cell phone is overrated, I guess, but it takes up only a single slot so that's cool.

@Omega Derpling
Building without even a grappling hook can be a pain XD but if such happen I would usually just cheat in a cosmic car key via cheat sheets, finish the roof or whatever and then throw away the cosmic car keys.
Gizmo pack can be a huge help with building, but I honestly never tried building potion before XD also, neither calm potion. if you build in or near the/a town, it will disable monster spawning anyway, and if you build elsewhere... well... yeah, that can be annoying XD but even reduced enemy spawn would be annoying too those times XD
But then, you can just use godmode while building, so you won't end up massacred by a giant turtle while finishing a roof... XD

I assumed something like that. but RNG can hate collectors XD so, yeah, a town NPC selling boss summon item sounds good, but, then why post golem? would it be too cheat-y, to have them appear in his shop once the respetive boss is down once in the world? sure, you could abuse it for loot to sell, but still, at that point, it would sound more useful (and it's not like you have to buy them if you don't want)
also, why a cultist?

You mean something like automatically putting stuff in chests? but it would only work organised, if said chest is already "full", that is, has at least one of the item and each slot taken by an item, right? also, yes, favorite items, otherwise... uhh, that's no fun XD

I kinda get what you mean, but still. Also, why would you want to get lots of them once? again, it might be just me, but I would usually just buy an ironskin and an endurance potion or something before a boss fight. no point buying more than one, when you can buy more any time you want. well... mid-fight that might be difficult, but that aside XD And some more potions once available. perticularly lifeforce!
As for architect, wood is also a questionable thing, I don't know if he sells wood or not, but that's very useful too (there's a mod like lumberjack NPC - wood is renewable, can be cultivated, but it takes time...)

Preparing before events, money-wise? like how? Or you mean, regarding items? it's usually useless trash I have in chests. it probably worths some money, but still. I did just recently realised though how profitable it is to farm BoC. crimtane bars sell really well. (I guess that returns us to "being able to buy summon item early game can be abused, but still.)

Many of the cell phone's functions have little use (IMO)... like how far you're from the center of the map... depth meter have use in like when you try to loot the dungeon pre-skeletron, but otherwise usually negligable. and several other functions too. can be useful in cases, but for example, DPS... it's interesting info, but when you actually busy dealing lots of dmg (like in boss fights or events) you probably won't look at it, because you're busy XD
so, yeah, the cell phone is overrated, I guess, but it takes up only a single slot so that's cool.
I don't use mods very often, so I don't have the ability to just warp in a cosmic car key and turn on godmode while building. You have to remember that even if suggestions would be better suited for a mod, that doesn't always mean the OP intended it for modders.

That thing about the button that automatically puts things into chests wasn't a suggestion, it's already in the game. There's a "Quick Stack to nearby chests" button which moves items from your inventory to unopened chests only if the chest also has that item. So you stand next to two chests, one with only dirt in it and one with Souls of light in it, and pressing this button automatically deposits all the dirt into the chest with dirt and the souls of light into the one with souls of light. It's already in the game in a fairly obvious spot next to your trash slot... and people seem to never use that button or even question what it does...

Getting a lot of potions at once is necessary in multiplayer, which is why alchemy greenhouses are so powerful and underrated. You can't just have one wormhole potion, as that is VERY tedious to NOT craft in bulk. And you also forgot again that potions aren't just used for boss fights, one spelunker potion doesn't last you an entire mining trip, same with a single water walking potion not lasting an entire underworld trip. Recall Potions are also very helpful when a magic mirror isn't fast enough.

The reason the cultist is balanced post golem is because golem is the last boss you need an item to summon and at that point getting iron for, say, the three mechs is no longer difficult, but still wastes a lot of time and isn't fun.

The thing about invasions wasn't talking about you in particular, it was talking about all the newer players who think that combat is the only thing this game has to offer. Many of the newer Terraria players get so caught up in fighting the next boss or next invasion or getting more powerful that they forget that that's not the only fun thing in this game.

Wood is so abundant in early game that having an npc who sells it is actually underpowered. Why would I spend my precious copper on wood when I could walk 10 feet away and get 10x as much wood for free? Also the dryad also sells wood in the form of acorns, which has the exact same issue. So again, It's not powerful for him to sell wood at all.

While this is extremely basic, and doesnt really detail the personalities or quirks of the NPCs, or what exactly they sell, Ive used modded NPCs that are nearly identical, and are indeed very useful.

@Omega Derpling

I see. But still, brewing a gravitation potion looks kinda more complicated than crafting a grappling hook (perticularly gemstone hooks can be easy to craft, if you're lucky enough to find enough of a certain gemstone)

Actually, that quick stack sounds interesting. I know it's not a suggestion, but in the game, but to be honest, I never used it before, even though it sounds very useful now that you describe it. I think it's just because no one usually explains those things, and some of those buttons do annoying stuff (like the one that "sorts" your inventory... if you organise your items following whatever logic, it will just mess it up... XD)

You have a point with wormhole potions in multiplayer, but that's a special case, I think. But definitelly, the more players you have the more potions you would need to for everyone, I guess, but that also means brewer would be the more helpful. in single player, you usually pick up plenty of ingredients randomly, and if you not throw away/sell them, your hoard of ingredients could be enough for lots of potions, but indeed, there wouldn't be enough that way for everyone, probably. but waiting for the herbs to grow is tedious too...
also, while recall potion is faster, magic mirror does the same, and carrying both would take up 2 inventory slots... and the mirror is non consumable.

Well, you can summon Moon lord too with item. Also, Duke Fishron needs an item too, just in a special way (dunno if you consider him pre- or post-golem though. but hunting truffle worms is such a pain XD
But really, and NPC selling boss summon items after the respctive boss is down, would have more uses, I think, although kind of more cheat-y, because you can farm them for money. but then again, if you would hoard all the drops, you probably could have enough to craft lots of boss summon items. I know whenever I cross the crimson I end up with lots of vertebraes, and I usually just throw them away, but you can earn like 20 gold or more by selling all the crimtane (as bars) BoC drops. farming for vile mushrooms is another thing though...

That maybe so, but not quite sure how money what you need before invasions. Good weapons and armor, yes, and in some cases, an arena. but I usually play normal mode, and most bosses needs no arena there.

Yes, wood is abundant early game usually, but if you chop down all the tree giants near spawn, and plant your own, you will have only some short trees that are nowhere near their ancestors in size (and so they drop much less wood too). though I read somewhere if you keep some of those giants, the trees you plants will try to match their neighbors in size, I dunno if that's true though or not. they seem to grow taller sometimes, but still not as tall as those ancient trees. of course, because they are near the center, if you want to build a town there you will cut most of them simply because they are in the way, but I like to keep some, and because usually most of my center area is a town with only a few trees I use as deco (like connect the nearby house with a rope and hang clothes (sails) on it or something, and with no much empty space, farming for wood would be difficult at that point. so an NPC selling wood could be really useful. - of course, you could just plant a tree farm somewhere else too for free, but it's easier and faster to just buy the wood.

Perhaps one of each potion.
Oh god please no, there are so many potions in this game, that would fill your inventory instantly.
@Omega Derpling

I see. But still, brewing a gravitation potion looks kinda more complicated than crafting a grappling hook (perticularly gemstone hooks can be easy to craft, if you're lucky enough to find enough of a certain gemstone)

Actually, that quick stack sounds interesting. I know it's not a suggestion, but in the game, but to be honest, I never used it before, even though it sounds very useful now that you describe it. I think it's just because no one usually explains those things, and some of those buttons do annoying stuff (like the one that "sorts" your inventory... if you organise your items following whatever logic, it will just mess it up... XD)

You have a point with wormhole potions in multiplayer, but that's a special case, I think. But definitelly, the more players you have the more potions you would need to for everyone, I guess, but that also means brewer would be the more helpful. in single player, you usually pick up plenty of ingredients randomly, and if you not throw away/sell them, your hoard of ingredients could be enough for lots of potions, but indeed, there wouldn't be enough that way for everyone, probably. but waiting for the herbs to grow is tedious too...
also, while recall potion is faster, magic mirror does the same, and carrying both would take up 2 inventory slots... and the mirror is non consumable.

Well, you can summon Moon lord too with item. Also, Duke Fishron needs an item too, just in a special way (dunno if you consider him pre- or post-golem though. but hunting truffle worms is such a pain XD
But really, and NPC selling boss summon items after the respctive boss is down, would have more uses, I think, although kind of more cheat-y, because you can farm them for money. but then again, if you would hoard all the drops, you probably could have enough to craft lots of boss summon items. I know whenever I cross the crimson I end up with lots of vertebraes, and I usually just throw them away, but you can earn like 20 gold or more by selling all the crimtane (as bars) BoC drops. farming for vile mushrooms is another thing though...

That maybe so, but not quite sure how money what you need before invasions. Good weapons and armor, yes, and in some cases, an arena. but I usually play normal mode, and most bosses needs no arena there.

Yes, wood is abundant early game usually, but if you chop down all the tree giants near spawn, and plant your own, you will have only some short trees that are nowhere near their ancestors in size (and so they drop much less wood too). though I read somewhere if you keep some of those giants, the trees you plants will try to match their neighbors in size, I dunno if that's true though or not. they seem to grow taller sometimes, but still not as tall as those ancient trees. of course, because they are near the center, if you want to build a town there you will cut most of them simply because they are in the way, but I like to keep some, and because usually most of my center area is a town with only a few trees I use as deco (like connect the nearby house with a rope and hang clothes (sails) on it or something, and with no much empty space, farming for wood would be difficult at that point. so an NPC selling wood could be really useful. - of course, you could just plant a tree farm somewhere else too for free, but it's easier and faster to just buy the wood.
Gravitation potions have more flexibility than a hook, as you can move while clinging the ceiling. This is actually much more useful because you can just hold down the mouse and move a little to place down blocks in a row.

Waiting for herbs to grow may be tedious, but so is hunting for chlorophyte, fighting the Moon Lord for the first time, getting the Rod of Discord, fishing in a small pond... I don't see why the part of potions that makes them require effort to get should be invalidated if these other things are fine. (OK, maybe fishing can get tedious, but that doesn't really affect my point.)

I forgot about the moon lord's summon item, maybe have both ideas merge? As in, the Cultist only sells summons if their respective bosses have been defeated, but still only moves in after golem. I don't think having him sell a new summon for Duke Fishron is necessary as the Duke enrages outside the Ocean biome anyways.

An npc DOES sell almost all types of wood, you just have to be patient. Acorns can grow almost anywhere, and it's still cheaper than just directly buying wood blocks. If you buy them individually, you're paying for convenience, and that isn't good in the long term for your playthrough. I've found playthroughs where I saved for the important stuff much less aggravating then playthroughs where I tried out alchemistNPC, bought everything the moment I needed it, and got short on money later (that pulse bow would have been SOOOO good for underground exploration, and I didn't have enough when it showed up... :sigh:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom