No Wood Boxes: A Building Guide

I am very bad at building, but I think this helped, xD (my profile pic was along time ago, so don't look at my items xD)

Hi, I am newish to Terraria and am not good and designing much of anything. In minecraft I was ok at designing stuff. Well I'm not sure what kind of house I want to build. I was thinking a modern house or maybe a medieval one. My favorite colors are Blue, White, Green and Yellow in that order. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also love the guide.

P.S. Maybe this is just me but, when working on a sky build in minecraft. I got this idea. I think it would be cool to have a like Great Wall of China that reaches to the sky.

Last edited:
A wild necromancer appears! And they bring offerings of a HAUS.

c9OOu5V.png
Trying to go for a sort of modernist/ancient rome hybrid on this one but I ran into a creative slump when it came to what kind of material to use for interior trim, I'm thinking gold brick since gold tends to work pretty well with a blue/white color scheme but this is an earlygame build so gold hasn't exactly been available.

Anyone mind telling me how to make it better?

This is a pretty cool thread. Just spent like half an hour looking at all the cool houses. Maybe once I finish my World Terraforming (just check my profile if you wanna see), I'll post some stuff here. Planning on doing some artistic stuff, if I can, so It'd be cool to check out the kind of stuff likeminded people have to share.

c9OOu5V.png
Trying to go for a sort of modernist/ancient rome hybrid on this one but I ran into a creative slump when it came to what kind of material to use for interior trim, I'm thinking gold brick since gold tends to work pretty well with a blue/white color scheme but this is an earlygame build so gold hasn't exactly been available.

I'd be very proud if I built something as good as that.

c9OOu5V.png

Well, I'm certainly not an expert on this stuff, but I'm a paid artist, so I guess that gives me a tiny bit of credit on design stuff. (apologies if I critique too heavily. I'm used to rather critical ones from peers, so my standards may be unnecessary)
Anyway, my only suggestion would be to add a little bit of depth to the foreground blocks. like, I think that the dark blue you used for a foundation would look really cool as a floor on the other levels. Of course, that could also change the theme rather drastically, adding that much dark into the mix, but you could certainly benefit from a darker spot connecting the roof to the foundation. Having it only on the outside kinda makes the white pop out as something separate, if that makes sense. I can understand if it clashes with your theme, but darkening the pillars under the overhang would pull it together as well.

well, that's my two cents. But it's your thing, so make how you like it. looks pretty good if you ask me (I just make hotels and boxes, cuz I'm more focused on completing playthrough's currently.. but I'll be going artsy in a couple weeks lol)

Well, I'm certainly not an expert on this stuff, but I'm a paid artist, so I guess that gives me a tiny bit of credit on design stuff. (apologies if I critique too heavily. I'm used to rather critical ones from peers, so my standards may be unnecessary)
Anyway, my only suggestion would be to add a little bit of depth to the foreground blocks. like, I think that the dark blue you used for a foundation would look really cool as a floor on the other levels. Of course, that could also change the theme rather drastically, adding that much dark into the mix, but you could certainly benefit from a darker spot connecting the roof to the foundation. Having it only on the outside kinda makes the white pop out as something separate, if that makes sense. I can understand if it clashes with your theme, but darkening the pillars under the overhang would pull it together as well.

well, that's my two cents. But it's your thing, so make how you like it. looks pretty good if you ask me (I just make hotels and boxes, cuz I'm more focused on completing playthrough's currently.. but I'll be going artsy in a couple weeks lol)
I was about to write a nice thought out reply but windows crashed so :red:IT. Basically the idea of granite flooring occured to me as an afterthought but by then the only way to facilitate that in a way that would still satisfy the a e s t h e t i c I wanted would've required me to :red: with the internal dimensions of the house, Which I didn't really wanna do. I like that you thought about that tho, Shows that people notice when I cut corners >o>

I was about to write a nice thought out reply but windows crashed so :red:IT. Basically the idea of granite flooring occured to me as an afterthought but by then the only way to facilitate that in a way that would still satisfy the a e s t h e t i c I wanted would've required me to :red: with the internal dimensions of the house, Which I didn't really wanna do. I like that you thought about that tho, Shows that people notice when I cut corners >o>

Haha, I like the attitude. As I said before, I'm a paid artist and I've taken numerous art classes over the years, so stuff like visual composition and aesthetics are engrained into every last brain cell that hasn't rotted away from too much terraria.

I took a class about design a couple years ago that said to "look at it, not as a 3 dimensional object that has a purpose, but a 2D pencil drawing. it has a specific view point, an intended feeling, and the entire image must be balanced and tied together." which pretty much means "use the rule of thirds for architecture too."

er.. if you don't know what the rule of thirds is, imagine the cropping thing where the image is cut into 9 equal squares. the focal point goes on a corner of the inner square and something exactly opposite of it must balance it out.

As much as I'd like to ramble about art stuff, my point is I look at it and judge it the same way I would a painting or drawing.. art is art.

0EZ3Nzn.png
DAMMIT CLETUS AH TOLDJA NOT TO PARK HERE.
Went for a cheap old trailer on this one, With furniture made out of 100% real particle board! (except the tub, Gotta love faux marble fiberglass)
Sometimes a wood (read: Metal) box is alright as long as you can spice it up with a fun theme, In this case the theme is wood veneer wall paneling that smells like mold. Perfect place to cook up your cousin-daddy's recipe for gofast.

0EZ3Nzn.png
DAMMIT CLETUS AH TOLDJA NOT TO PARK HERE.
Went for a cheap old trailer on this one, With furniture made out of 100% real particle board! (except the tub, Gotta love faux marble fiberglass)
Sometimes a wood (read: Metal) box is alright as long as you can spice it up with a fun theme, In this case the theme is wood veneer wall paneling that smells like mold. Perfect place to cook up your cousin-daddy's recipe for gofast.

That's a lotta slime.
like the carpet lol (copper?)

Y'know, when you stumble upon some ancient temple the word "why" usually comes to mind first, Like "why" is this temple flying around in the air. And "why" is it upside down, Or maybe "why" did a deep one and some little kid refurbish the inside and make it the base of their illegal bait selling operations?
oX5xF4H.png
This is what happens when you take a relatively generic building design, The mayan pyramid, And make it into something infinitely more interesting. I made this one by just making a generic step pyramid upside down then carved out the rooms with no real plan, Throw in some gold, Smash away some of the exterior to make it look old and beat up and ya got an upside down pyramid where who knows how many precious memes were sacrificed on the alter of crimson, Which in the pyramid's inverted form makes a perfect mood light for the bar.

Moral of the story: Standard design+gimmick(upside down+sky island)=fun, ridiculously expensive for pre hardmode, and almost invasion proof

Looks wonderful, also don't forget color schemes if you're new to building. Making a block lighter when it's supposed to appear closer to the screen adds 3d effects.

I thought I'd post some of my favorite builds here.

First off, an early-game granite house I built while waiting for my friend to play:
Capture 2017-05-07 11_39_28.png

Next, an underground bunker, perfect for all you post-apocalyptic needs!
Capture 2017-05-07 11_35_54.png

And finally, a very-late-game build to showcase the Celestial Events and the Moon Lord:
Capture 2017-05-07 11_37_55.png

I thought I'd post some of my favorite builds here.

First off, an early-game granite house I built while waiting for my friend to play:

Next, an underground bunker, perfect for all you post-apocalyptic needs!

And finally, a very-late-game build to showcase the Celestial Events and the Moon Lord:
Lol very geometric. Nice color choice.
When instead of boxes you build .... triangles :p

n26DWck.jpg

Well.. Triangle boxes? obviously that background pyramid looks awesome, but I'm really liking the shrine thingy at the left.

Back
Top Bottom