(PC) Does the angler REALLY reward the items for the Fish Finder?

The pocket guide seems to be a really difficult one to get, I've got multiples of the sextant and weather radio, but still no pocket guide.... They're supposed to be an equal chance right? I'm starting to wonder whether my angler even has any pocket guides =P
:nymph:

By the way, still no Sextant, even after getting 200 quests done... :mad:

Try another character on another world. In my personal experiences, each character has that item that it refuses to spit up, and 2-3 characters are bound to overlap, say Character A might never get a Sextant while Character B gets boatloads of Sextants but no Pocket Guides and so on and so forth. This has been a consistent thing for every single character I've ever done post 1.3. It appears to have been deliberately designed this way to promote trading, but I don't have access to the source code so I can't say for sure.

Don't sell/destroy extra items for this very reason.

Try another character on another world. In my personal experiences, each character has that item that it refuses to spit up, and 2-3 characters are bound to overlap, say Character A might never get a Sextant while Character B gets boatloads of Sextants but no Pocket Guides and so on and so forth. This has been a consistent thing for every single character I've ever done post 1.3. It appears to have been deliberately designed this way to promote trading, but I don't have access to the source code so I can't say for sure.

Don't sell/destroy extra items for this very reason.
I wondered if that would work, thanks for the suggestion!

I've completed exactly 33 quests (so I have the Golden Fishing Rod) and I don't have ANY of the Cell Phone components(I do have 2 Angler Earrings and a HTFL though). I want to get the Cell Phone Pre-HM and I've been staying at the stage just before WoF for weeks. I heard that the more quests you complete, the higher chance of getting non-potions/decoration items. Is that true?

I've completed exactly 33 quests (so I have the Golden Fishing Rod) and I don't have ANY of the Cell Phone components(I do have 2 Angler Earrings and a HTFL though). I want to get the Cell Phone Pre-HM and I've been staying at the stage just before WoF for weeks. I heard that the more quests you complete, the higher chance of getting non-potions/decoration items. Is that true?
Yes, this is true. However, this boost doesn't increase for every quest, but increases every 25 quests after the first 50. You said you have completed 33 quests, which still gives you exactly the same chance of a rare item as your first quest (Cell Phone items have a 1/40 base chance of being awarded).

This is a table for the reward factor, accurate as of 1.3.2.2 (although I don't think it was changed since). n = amount of quests completed.

nFactor
150+0.15

For Cell Phone items, the chances are:

Base Chance (n = 0)n = 50n = 75n = 100n = 125n = 150+
1 in 401 in (40 * 0.5) = 1 in 201 in (40 * 0.375) = 1 in 151 in (40 * 0.25) = 1 in 101 in (40 * 0.2) = 1 in 81 in (40 * 0.15) = 1 in 6

*These chances are in fact slightly lower because of how the reward system chains rolls, but it shouldn't deviate too much.

Last edited:
You just have to be really patient. It took me more than 70 tries before I finally got my Sextant. One item that helps a tiny bit is the Enchanted Sundial, though: you can skip ahead to the next day once a week with it. There's a very small chance you get it from crates (0,5% with wooden, 5% with golden), but it's certainly worth it.

You just have to be really patient. It took me more than 70 tries before I finally got my Sextant. One item that helps a tiny bit is the Enchanted Sundial, though: you can skip ahead to the next day once a week with it. There's a very small chance you get it from crates (0,5% with wooden, 5% with golden), but it's certainly worth it.
Except the sundial is only obtainable when crates are opened in hardmode, and @Bane of Fleshwalls is trying to get the cellphone before that.

I find that some characters seem to have a "chosen item" that they get stuck on... for example, Character A might keep getting weather radios while character B never gets radios but gets plenty of pocketbooks or sextants.

As a rule, though, I normally get 2-5 Fish Finder items before the Golden Fishing Rod (50 quests), and about two-thirds of the time, I normally get at least two of the Tackle Bag items.

My suggestion is to do a couple characters' GFR, and between the two characters you should surely get the cell phone before both characters finish their GFR, though this is not a guarantee.

This might be anecdotal evidence, but I've done nearly two dozen or more playthroughs since the fishing update, and this is the trend and averages that I've noticed.

EDIT: Is GFR 30? I thought it was 50 quests?

And then there's me, who has done like 60 quests only to get the sextant. Guess what. I've gotten the golden fishing rod twice, the fishermans pocket guide three times and the weather radio three times, aswell as a couple other angler accessories and rewards. No goddamn sextant. Extremely bad luck or just the angler :red:ing with me?

And then there's me, who has done like 60 quests only to get the sextant. Guess what. I've gotten the golden fishing rod twice, the fishermans pocket guide three times and the weather radio three times, aswell as a couple other angler accessories and rewards. No goddamn sextant. Extremely bad luck or just the angler :red:ing with me?

Try another character. Worked for me. It seems that each character has this item that is almost never rewarded, so if you do another character, you might get one, or even several.

That, or use the Builder's Workshop and just take one. The idea is that you put in more than enough work that you should have it by now, but you don't because of crappy RNG and a poorly designed reward system.

No offense to Re-Logic, but... I'm sorry the Angler and his rewards are badly designed. Pure-RNG very rarely (or almost never) works well.

Been fishing as much as i can since day one....about to prepare the fight for moonload and i only got ONE fishermans pocket guide, and none of the other two i need. Just great

i know im late to this but i too cant get the sextant to drop, instead i got bloody fish wings...thanks game ill just replace my current cool big :red: steampunk wings with these cardboard fins i glued to my back >:I ive made several worlds trying to grind for it and still no drop

Can someone please trade me a weather radio in ps4 terraria!! I'm soo frustrated at not being able to get one. Been fishing for a month straight now and still nothing. Same old potions and coins. My ps4 name is McBain_87 it also goes by Burritos diamond

A handy trick I've found to skip out on the fishing is to drop the quest fish right when you obtain it and catch one or two more (use a piggy bank or money trough to store the extras as you can't have two in your inventory). Then store them in a chest in your angler's house and whenever he asks for one, you'll have it immediately.

Back
Top Bottom