[Poll] Your Starter Anime

What do you consider your Starter Anime?

• Dragonball

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Sailor Moon

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Death Note

• Naruto

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Bleach

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • One Piece

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Fairy Tail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokemon

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Yugioh

• Full Metal Alchemist

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Cardcaptor Sakura

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Sword Art Online

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Attack On Titan

• Other

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Ranma 1/2

• Inuyasha

• Neon Genesis Evangelion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cowboy Bebop

• Code Geass

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Soul Eater

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

Aurora3500

🌳
Staff member
Many Anime fans have a type of Anime that got them interested in what this unique type of visual medium has to offer. Similar to how you choose a starter Pokemon on your Pokemon adventure, this one show changes a lot about your life and may determine the types of other Anime, books, games, and movies you become interested in.

So I made a small list of Anime which I perceive are some of the most popular and well-known Anime out there, most of which have aired on TV in dubbed form which are likely to have introduced to people what Anime was who didn't know about it before.

There is also a story behind everyone's introduction to Anime, which can be shared here. It is fun to see how someone got introduced to their Starter Anime, and how the individual series and anime as a whole has affected them.

To start with, I'll share a summary of my story.

While I watched parts of Pokemon and Dragonball throughout my early childhood. I didn't know what Anime was and wasn't very invested in those shows. It was only when Naruto was frequently played on TV whenever I watched TV that I began to grow interested in what Naruto was. Luckily a marathon was scheduled to play soon on TV and this allowed me to enter the world of Naruto(At the time there were only ~100 episodes released English Dubbed) I kept up with the series ever since for the most part. After learning that Naruto was an Anime it was something that interested me. Which caused me to want to see other types of Anime. The unfortunate news was that Toonami was going to shut down soon and not knowing how else to continue Naruto or watch other Anime, I shortly found Hulu (Then Crunchyroll). This was what I needed to continue watching Anime. Ever since then I've been able to watch a ton of enjoyable Anime without dependence on the TV.

The biggest thing possibly that I've taken from Anime is the quality of the stories. It has shown me that Visual Media can have great stories similar to those from novels. And that animation doesn't need to have a non-linear storyline which is the case for much Western Animation.

Now is the time to share your origin story! How has your Starter Anime affected you?

My "introduction" to anime was done through an anime I nowadays despise, because of what it represents. "Robotech." Imagine someone grabbing three anime that have only one connecting element between them (for example, Pokemon, Digimon and Bakugan, "monsters") and mashing them all into one single dub, changing everything about them.

I guess that, looking back, the reason I despise dubs was because my first anime ever was one of the worst offenders when it comes to "done wrong" and I watched it all and thought it cool, and it was only a decade later (thanks to that crazy new thing, the Internet) that I saw the real face of that beast.

I watched other stuff along the way, but the one series that really got me into anime (and manga) was Kimagure Orange Road. That's when I saw that anime didn't have to be about big dumb robots and explosions to be good. Also, I learnt that having to read what the characters were saying wasn't that bad, when it saved you from that soul-sucking beast known as dubbing.

I think my history with anime is pretty typical.

When I was very young I remember watching the dub of DBZ on Toonami with my brother. Eventually I started occasionally watching what dubbed anime I could, it was hard to do back then, and I fell in love with it. Eventually once I became internet savvy, I think around 9 or 10 years old, I looked into subtitled anime. The first subbed show I watched to completion was Cardcaptor Sakura, so I would consider that my starter anime. I still love CCS despite my general dislike of CLAMP, and I often compare things to it.

I did fall into a period of not watching things from around 2009-2011 but I am back in full force, having finished 176 shows.

Oh, hm. This is actually kinda hard. I've watched lots of anime over the years but given I've had a fair number of changes in taste, it's tough to pick a definite one.

When I was a youngun, I just watched what was on Toonami and whatever else was popular. Dragon Ball (the original and Z), Cardcaptor Sakura (which I watched the majority of years later), Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Hamtaro, other stuff... I even stood up late to watch some anime on adult swim, like Lupin III, Detective Conan (or Case Closed), FLCL, and sometimes The Big O.
Some of those stuck with me (DBZ, Conan, and Lupin did, I'm watching Big O, and Pokemon only as a game.)

But I didn't really get into anime until I was older. I watched stuff like Naruto, Bleach, and Death Note, and they were fine. But then I got into subbed anime with suggestions from friends, and so I think these are where my starter anime came in.
My first two subbed shows were Lucky Star and the first Negima anime. I started Lucky Star first but finished Negima first, but they both influenced my main tastes for a while and kinda my tastes now, which was comedy anime. Since I consider Negima the better show (even though the second anime is a lot better imo), I'll call that my first starter anime.

After that, I just watched some stuff and it was alright. And then I was told to watch a show called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I didn't get to watch it for a fair while, but when I was able to, I loved it. And sure enough, I'll call that my second starter! Why? It kickstarted my love of mecha shows, which is my favorite genre to this day! And now I've watched plenty of mecha anime, including nearly every Gundam series under the sun! And I'm pretty happy with that, yep.

My "introduction" to anime was done through an anime I nowadays despise, because of what it represents. "Robotech." Imagine someone grabbing three anime that have only one connecting element between them (for example, Pokemon, Digimon and Bakugan, "monsters") and mashing them all into one single dub, changing everything about them.
Not to mention helping to make it nearly impossible to bring any Macross anime over stateside. Thanks Harmony Gold.

For me, it was Ranma 1/2.

My cousin was into anime and I never really watched much of anything Anime but he showed me the first episode and then one of the OAVs... or wait, I think it was the one movie... yeah, it was the movie. I was like "haha, this is crazy but I could see this going places."

I watched the first four seasons of it and rather enjoyed it.

Since then, I've watched Hellsing, and bits and pieces of other anime but haven't really had the time or resources to gather more. I find that the "mainstream" anime that everybody knows about (Naruto, etc) just... didn't stand up to the Ranma test.

One thing that Ranma did well, was that its Dubs were actually fairly good compared to others I've heard. The animation quality was rather nice, they didn't get TOO silly with it (sometimes they stretched the line, but meh. it wasn't that bad), and they didn't use chibi art.

One of my first starter Anime's that I watched was Soul Eater. Story and animation are very unique (but the flow of the story is a bit awkward at times.)

Very cool characters and action scenes overall, as well as good character development.

I'm still very new to the genre, so I don't have much else to add other than that really :p.

If I consider the first Anime related content I've ever watched, It's probably an old Sailor Moon movie.
Context is, my mom liked sailor moon. If I recall correctly, I was around 6 at the time, and I just sat down and watched it with her for who knows why.
All I recall from it was Sailor moon being on... The moon? Tuxedo Mask guy, a bunch of roses and some vague city shenanigans.
After that, before I got a PC I watched Bleach and Cardcaptor Sakura, Code Lyoko and some other shows I never knew that they were from Japanese origin.
The first Anime that I seeked out online and my "first" anime was Bleach, I wanted to know what the heck happened with it because it stopped airing or something mid soul society arc. I watched basically half the show on Youtube and then went over to some website dedicated to it.
While I was watching it I also started Death Note and some other shows, but it was about a year and a half or two ago when I started watching as much as I am now.

Also, here's my anime list for the curious, I've got a little more than 200 entries now.

Edit:
does spongebob count? if not then i used to watch a lot of the old pokemon movies
I hope to all that is above us that you are trolling. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:
I know, right?

I was like "What the!? Ranma ain't even in the OP's list!"

How could someone call themselves an anime fan and not even think about Ranma?

Wasn't sure how many options I could put in and didn't want to go over the limit (What is the limit for poll options?), but I can add it. I can add more if anyone feels there are more I overlooked like Ranma. (Popular ones that is)

And its on. You can change your vote to Ranma, as it still looks like more can be added, I'll add a few more as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom