PC Should the Devs change the AI where a boss runs away if the player dies?

Should the AI be changed?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnemonic_Horse.EXE

Steampunker
I'm asking because I generally play alone, and time and again I've gotten close to defeating a boss when suddenly WHAM, I'm dead and all my efforts and limited items were wasted. Discuss below.

Bearing in mind this game is designed for single player rather than multi (having more than one person makes everything in this game stupidly easy), I'm going to say no.

You tried defeating the boss, you failed, so you have to start the fight from the start. It makes little sense just spawning back and taking down that last 1000 health you couldn't manage. This failure is the biggest reasonable punishment in the game, there is no need to take that away because you might want an equivalent of being revived for all of those 'second chances'.

You take away the punishment of failure and the need to restart, there will be far less incentive to bother trying to get skilled. The boss would die anyway, and you could just pick up the coins you dropped afterwards.

It's actually was kind of like this on the console versions, you could respawn immediately before the boss ran away and keep fighting it like you never died. This took away all the tension of boss fights, and it made them a lot less satisfying to defeat because you didn't have to put any effort in surviving. (There was also a time on the PC where plantera didn't run away, but for me that was the only way I could fight the stupid flower because it was always enraged and would kill me in about 5 seconds)

I remembered my playthrough where plantera didn't leave after your death.
I was not happy at all, it was not that i've won, but more like i couldn't lose. I hated it. A boss means to be a boss that you need to defeat it in one piece, if you're defeated, the boss shouldn't wait for you so you can kill it again.

If this becomes a thing, then more people can fight bosses with lesser gear. Completely removing the challenge to kill them while you're alive.

Invasions are a different story though, especially the moons, just imagine that the invasion end after one death...

Bearing in mind this game is designed for single player rather than multi (having more than one person makes everything in this game stupidly easy), I'm going to say no.

You tried defeating the boss, you failed, so you have to start the fight from the start. It makes little sense just spawning back and taking down that last 1000 health you couldn't manage. This failure is the biggest reasonable punishment in the game, there is no need to take that away because you might want an equivalent of being revived for all of those 'second chances'.

You take away the punishment of failure and the need to restart, there will be far less incentive to bother trying to get skilled. The boss would die anyway, and you could just pick up the coins you dropped afterwards.
The incident you described is pretty much in console. Not only is there usually multiple players but you can respawn practically as soon as you die. My siblings and I once fought Plantera around a shack on the surface of the jungle and when it enraged it just sat on the shack and killed us as we spawned. Since we spawned so rapidly though we eventually managed to kill it. Though we can beat all the bosses without dieing now, you can pretty much do this to every boss in some way.

As for boss running away on death, well..

On one hand, in multiplayer, dying doesn't really have a penalty. Boss won't run off and your help can finish it off. Not only is it twice as easy with two players (two players = double the DPS), but having two players ensures that the boss won't run off should one player die (said player can respawn and run back ASAP hopefully before the other player dies and this can be done indefinitely AFAIK, as long as at least one player is alive at all times).

Singleplayer is already at a disadvantage, and there's even more disadvantage in that if you die, the boss fight is done immediately. I've always felt that Singleplayer could use a bone (or make multiplayer bosses harder to compensate and/or have them drop more stuff as a result).

One thing I will say, though, is I hate the reliance upon Nighttime for the Mechs. You gotta wait until night to summon them and there's a hard cap time limit on the time you have to fight them with, and if you're just starting, getting your DPS up to kill, say, Skeletron Prime might not be easy for some people while also simultaneously trying to figure out how to stay alive. Go defensive, lose DPS and fail to kill it before daybreak. Go offensive, die before it dies.

IMO, I'd remove the Nighttime requirement from Singleplayer. The mechs can still spawn on their own at nights, but don't have the boss run away (or insta-kill you in case of Skeletron Prime) if dawn should arrive before you kill it. That'd help balance Singleplayer vs Multiplayer a bit.

And, of course, it is annoying to have a pop item, want to summon the boss... but you gotta doink around for several minutes because you gotta wait for night to fall.

So, you want to go backwards and make it easier for singleplayer? Multiplayer is an addition and not the main focus, in terms of balance. Same story for PvP. The game shouldn't shift balance to something it never had full focus on.

Even if you make the bosses harder on multi, by what extent do you want to? This game's combat is quite simple, not to mention the AI. More than one target for the AI to focus on will make every player get real easy shots to do some serious damage. I remember one time, my brother was letting Plantera chase him while I just showed the plant with Crystal Bullets. The fight didn't last 30 seconds. This is one of those situations where when you try to balance it, it would either be a redundant change or you'd be better off playing single-player.

Your thoughts about having to be offensive and defensive at the same time because of a time limit? That's to encourage people to get out of their hidey-holes or means of cheesing (such as the gravity potion) while at the same time they can't just waltz in holding down LMB. In other words, it encourages skillful gameplay and development of tactics. Can't kill the boss fast enough? Figure out a way to do more damage. The boss is hitting you too hard? Try to learn how to avoid the attacks.

So, you want to go backwards and make it easier for singleplayer? Multiplayer is an addition and not the main focus, in terms of balance. Same story for PvP. The game shouldn't shift balance to something it never had full focus on.

But yet, is it right that Multiplayer = Remove All Challenge from the game except for Moons (which appear to be balanced around Multiplayer)?

Even if you make the bosses harder on multi, by what extent do you want to? This game's combat is quite simple, not to mention the AI. More than one target for the AI to focus on will make every player get real easy shots to do some serious damage. I remember one time, my brother was letting Plantera chase him while I just showed the plant with Crystal Bullets. The fight didn't last 30 seconds. This is one of those situations where when you try to balance it, it would either be a redundant change or you'd be better off playing single-player.

Make Boss Harder and Make Boss Drop More Stuff. More Challenge = More Reward.

For each player involved, increase Defense, Damage, and Health by 15-20% and add 1 more drop to the boss's drops. That way, if you kill Plantera solo, you get the Temple Key and 1 other item with a chance of a second, as well as increase money dropped by 20% per extra player. We could also increase number of projectiles boss uses, make boss's body parts shoot at other players more often, etc, etc, etc.

Two players, you get the Temple Key, 2 items with a chance of a third.

This would encourage players to team up, in greater chances of finding that one item that they're searching for (Fishron Wings, Picksaw, etc).

That way, there's a reward for increasing the challenge of the bosses.

But yet, is it right that Multiplayer = Remove All Challenge from the game except for Moons (which appear to be balanced around Multiplayer)?

Strictly speaking, it doesn't matter much. But I guess a simple stat change wouldn't hurt.

I'd be careful with buffing their defence based on player count. You'd be dealing with some exponential difficulty and devaluing low-damage weapons when there's a goodd amount of people.

I'd be careful with buffing their defence based on player count. You'd be dealing with some exponential difficulty and devaluing low-damage weapons when there's a goodd amount of people.

One Bee Stings, 100 will kill you.

Sure, weapons like the Megashark would be doing single digits in damage with a 4 player team perhaps, but yet 4 players with megasharks will be pelting it non-stop and it'd kinda balance out. But then I suppose that'd be a thing that would have to be tested, I suppose.

It'd also place a greater importance upon Ichor Bullets and similar things, too. Debuffs. Give us an actual reason to care about them and allow us to apply them to more bosses.

Yeah, but there will be some anomalies such as the Paladin, which would have 80 defence with a 15% additive increase per player for 4 players. The Megashark is pretty hard to get higher than 50. And don't get me started on weapons such as the Nettle Burst or Wasp Gun.

I think defence can be left alone, if such a multiplayer change will come. Health is a good enough stat to increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom